Xbox One...anyone?

antithesis

Awesome. That was very in-depth and exactly what I was looking for. I still think the UI looks pretty awful but as long as I can get to my games that is all that really matters. I'll get one eventually but I thank you for going this in depth with your impressions, it is very helpful. 

Also, you have the absolute cleanest and nicest set up I think I've ever seen. It is absolutely gorgeous and I hope to get mine set up somewhat similar in the future.

Parker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVqhd866acw

Ignore the last few seconds at the end of the video, I made it for my Trophy Checklist over at Sly's old site...which he outgrew...they couldn't contain...all of...this :points around screen:

The video's about a year out of date, my game collection is ridiculously large now and my gear is in a constant upgrade cycle, but it gives some idea of the gaming setups I've built into my happy little home.

I'll also see if I can take a panorama shot from my desktop to show the full man cave setup from my viewing perspective.

Anyway...patting myself on the back isn't the purpose of this thread. Glad I could help, my good man. I'll put together some more UI shots and test the console's mettle with a few demo games in the next few days. Overall, my first impression of the XB1 is positive, despite a few minor quibbles.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVqhd866acw

Ignore the last few seconds at the end of the video, I made it for my Trophy Checklist over at Sly's old site...which he outgrew...they couldn't contain...all of...this :points around screen:

The video's about a year out of date, my game collection is ridiculously large now and my gear is in a constant upgrade cycle, but it gives some idea of the gaming setups I've built into my happy little home.

I'll also see if I can take a panorama shot from my desktop to show the full man cave setup from my viewing perspective.

Anyway...patting myself on the back isn't the purpose of this thread. Glad I could help, my good man. I'll put together some more UI shots and test the console's mettle with a few demo games in the next few days. Overall, my first impression of the XB1 is positive, despite a few minor quibbles.

I'll get the Xbone because it has some cool features that I think will benefit my family.  This is definitely great for the wife and kids.  My only quarrel with it is the Kinect not being as responsive as I'd like it to be.  I probably just need to get used to it or something.

Nice man, I kind of lost all interest in the Xbox after numerous RRoDs on my last 360s. Plus all those shennanigans microsoft was announcing at first, before changing their minds. But Killer Instinct and Dead Rising really make me want to try.

why are you posting about xbox on a playstation forum? do you not realise that 90% of the people on here will have your head for it? im sure theres some xbox site you can go and talk about the xbox one, if anyone else in the world actually bought one.

Wrong forum -_-

Doesn't look too bad actually, lot better than I thought it would be. Getting the ps4 but definetley consider to buy later (as I did with older ones).

Launch titles don't look amazing on either console to be honest. All I know is people who buy just one console are pissed when uncharted 4 is released

Some people don't know what forum they are on.  They are probably just clicking on the topic from the home page and not paying attention.  That's why they are wondering why people are posting about Xbox One.  I'll get one early next year.  I basically bought a PS4 and a lot of games for it instead of two systems and barely any games.

After having 2 xbox 360s die on me I traded up to ps3, one of the best decisions I have ever made. Will stick with ps the exclusives are better and ps+ is far superior to anything xbox offers. Really looking forward to vita cross play. Saying that I will have to wait a while too much money for me this close to Christmas.

Nope. Can't say I'll be getting one. Ever. My problem goes far beyond fanboyism. I simply refuse (and also cannot afford) to buy multiple consoles, let alone separate games for said consoles. You have always posted nice pics of your gaming set ups and hoarde of games, which is nice. Thanks for the information.

Edited by daftprophet

Nope. Can't say I'll be getting one. Ever. My problem goes far beyond fanboyism. I simply refuse (and also cannot afford) to buy multiple consoles, let alone separate games for said consoles. You have always posted nice pics of your gaming set ups and hoarde of games, which is nice. Thanks for the information.

You're welcome prophet, that was the sole intention of the thread.

Like it's predecessor, my XB1 will only be used for exclusives that I'm interested in. I've taken the same approach to the Wii U and can't see myself buying more than a few dozen games for either console. I'm hoping to tone down my obsession with collecting games on the PS4, I went a bit nuts last generation  :jaymon:

There's definitely some worthwhile games to play on all 3 consoles as well as PC (I have a raging boner for the Steam Machines and can't wait til they drop), so I don't see the point of attaching myself to one device or another. For trophies, sure, but they've lost their shine of late and I'm back to gaming for fun.

• Like 1

You're welcome prophet, that was the sole intention of the thread.

Like it's predecessor, my XB1 will only be used for exclusives that I'm interested in. I've taken the same approach to the Wii U and can't see myself buying more than a few dozen games for either console. I'm hoping to tone down my obsession with collecting games on the PS4, I went a bit nuts last generation :jaymon:

There's definitely some worthwhile games to play on all 3 consoles as well as PC (I have a raging boner for the Steam Machines and can't wait til they drop), so I don't see the point of attaching myself to one device or another. For trophies, sure, but they've lost their shine of late and I'm back to gaming for fun.

No doubt! I would say 700+ PS3 games definitely qualifies as an obsession, lol. I'm with you on gaming for fun my man. Always been like that for me as well. Look forward to your write up on the PS4 as well. :) Edited by daftprophet

You were wrong and look extremely childish by continuing to argue your "point." Ant is by no means a troll (why would someone purchase a premium membership if they just wanted to troll?) and is posting his impressions for fellow forum members who are on the fence or curious about the Xbone. You've effectively ruined this thread (until a mod cleans it up) and turned it into you defending yourself for being wrong instead of simply apologizing. Maybe go and read some of Ant's posts before you claim he is an Xbox fanboy. Also, how about you PM Ant if you have an issue and discuss it that way instead of bringing his thread completely off topic?

Anyways, is there a way to take screenshots on the Xbone? I really, really like the "Share" feature on the PS4 and I think I'd definitely take advantage of something like that on the Xbone as well. I know there isn't Twitch streaming (as of yet) but I'd hope there is a way we can share at least some of our cool gaming accomplishments. 

Parker

• Like 1

Anyways, is there a way to take screenshots on the Xbone? I really, really like the "Share" feature on the PS4 and I think I'd definitely take advantage of something like that on the Xbone as well. I know there isn't Twitch streaming (as of yet) but I'd hope there is a way we can share at least some of our cool gaming accomplishments. 

Parker

Good question, I'll take a look. It's possibly under the Upload feature, but I have yet to try uploading anything.

Ok, had a quick look and it seems to be video clips only. There's an app to edit / polish clips before publication, but I can't see anything related to screenshots.

Like the PS4, XB1 has a DVR application that buffers gameplay and allows us to more or less rewind and capture game highlights. The Xbox version can be triggered by saying "Xbox record that", which captures the last 30 seconds only. It also allows for manual recordings via the Game DVR app which allows for videos of up to 5 minutes. The caveat there is the Game DVR app needs to be launched before you start playing if you want more than 30 seconds of video and that could prove to be a ball-ache.

My gut feeling is the PS4 version is the better of the two (15 mins automated buffer?) and I can't wait to get my hands on mine next week to confirm, but an external device like an Elgato GameCapture HD is probably the best way to go if you're serious about recording / editing / uploading to YouTube or livestreaming to Twitch. Using an Elgato, you can tweak the resolution and bitrate of the feed, whereas both the PS4 and XB1 have preconfigured compression levels and apparently they're pretty crap quality. The Elgato also has a larger buffer, I'm pretty sure it's 30 minutes by default.

TLDR: to answer the actual question, it looks like a "no" for screenshots on the XB1 but a "yes" for video clips. 5 minutes is more than enough for a full lap of Bathurst :salute:, but 30 secs isn't going to do much for anyone.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Outside of the price, the major thing that makes me not pick one up is what they were originally planning with the whole anti-used games and forced kinect set up. That left a bitter taste in my mouth since I rarely buy a game new, and usually stick around stores that sell used games, so having to add another 52 dollars on top of what I payed previously is not something I want to have to look forward too. As well, since the games are tied to accounts, friends would have to share accounts on a system to avoid the 52 dollar charge, and I'm not trusting enough of people (things I've read) to allow for my account to be on a system I don't have direct access too. Since the Kinect can read so much more, along with the NSA thing MS was tied to when people were flipping out over that, I'm also iffy on it, although I don't have much of anything to hide I prefer things be kept private for as many people as possible.

tl;dr Trust issues and price are what's keeping me from buying it, but hope you find something on it to like.

tl;dr Trust issues and price are what's keeping me from buying it, but hope you find something on it to like.

You're definitely not alone in your sentiments. I initially balked at the whole used-game, privacy and pricing issues too. MS didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, they damn near blew their legs off!

It wasn't so much that the strategy was bad (it was good for the industry and for innovation), it's the whole "Deal with it" and "Fuck you gamers! You'll buy and you'll like it! TV. TV. TV." attitude of senior Xbox division staff that rubbed me up the wrong way. Sony consulted with us. MS dictated to us. Sony won the hearts and minds of gamers. MS crawled back under their rocks and sacked the douchebags responsible for leading them astray...all except for Ballmer.

Once MS backflipped, I gave them a second chance because regardless of where your loyalties lie, there's gonna be some great games on Xbox that we can't play any other way...it really is as simple as that.

It's the same reason I bought the immensely underwhelming Wii U - Nintendo's finally entered the HD era after the God-awful Wii and despite rehashing old franchises ad infinitum, they're going to release their best games to date.

Anyway, I really do hope it's warm from ambient heat, and not internal. Given the external psu/power brike and all the ventilation, you've gotta wonder if microsoft went through all that trouble because of heating.

I did hear something a while back about how it had the problem of melting the insides since it would get so hot, but I think they just underclocked the hell out of it and then threw the ability to drop the power used coming in until it cools down (or somthing similar), but it's while you're playing, so the games would have more problems if it got too hot.

Had one fully paid off since July, but given my recent unemployment (quit working full-time for GameStop in September), I just recently had to cancel in order to make sure I can pay bills until January. xD
Nevertheless, I plan to pick one up around March, when the core of it's release schedule seems to start.

Either way, I do still have the code they gave me to unlock a complete copy of Killer Instinct.