Mercenaries S ranks last 4 levels - just use the pistol

Not gonna lie, I’m pretty sure this mode has taken 6 years off my life because of how ridiculous it gets. There’s a youtuber called Cheetah’s Guides that helped me out a lot. I just mimicked what he did and it got me through stages 1-6 fairly easy but it still took a few tries to get the pattern and stuff down. (Not sure about the link policy I’m fairly new here) 

7 hours ago, h4mx0r said:

Man I wish I could enable aim assist for mercenaries.

I'm primarily a PC gamer, but Playstation trophies are my hobby (I know, weird right?) Normally I don't have a problem playing 3rd person games like the other RE games but I'm a terrible shot for console FPS games. I almost want to invest in one of those M+KB adapters just for fps game trophies. (Don't worry, I have no interest in online pvp for FPS games as I normally play those on PC)

I'll probably manage to get these anyways with enough trial and error but it doesn't feel good when I can't nail a target in time to keep the combo going.

The trick is to ignore headshots and just spam shots to enemy bodies. Headshot bonus damage is not that much higher without No Brainer so it's best to just spam without aiming. Same goes for the drill guys with a weakspot in the middle of the body. You can just shoot them in the legs and that still does enough damage to keep the combo up even without any damage skills from bubbles so long as you hit at least a couple of weakspot shots after they are winding up from an attack.

On 11.5.2021 at 8:55 PM, GTAJJ said:

I've SSS ranked all but Village II (That's at SS).

Done them all now. Zero reward for SSS. RIP

The first 4 levels are super easy to do. Use the Skorpion (VZ91) and sell everything else towards upgrading it. You can even sell your First Aid Kits as it's quite hard to even let any enemies get remotely close. Pick up abilities for the pistol and damage and you cannot lose.

As for the other 4, practice makes perfect. Max out the pistol damage and fire rate, choose how much you want on the other stats. I chose to spend money on pipe bombs compared to the walkthrough buying stats. It's all about what works for you.

I followed these routes.

Hope that helps.

Awsome. Also going for SSS on all stages.

Pro tip from a non-pro; rate of fire is really important for the 2nd variants of the maps. The pistol + magnum method is great, but you need a high rate of fire. I was getting destroyed in Castle II because I had great power but standard rate of fire. I would just get swarmed in the 2nd stage. You absolutely must upgrade rate of fire, preferably to max, as soon as possible.

Also, for Factory II - the hardest, by far IMO - I got 680K+ in my successful run by maintaining a combo into the high 50's (55-58, can't remember exactly) and finishing with 62/64. I basically held my combo all the way to the Sturm/propeller mini boss, and at that point ran out of magnum, so I killed all the standard enemies and avoid him and a super soldat. Between my high combo, the large amount of time, and picking up all lei pick ups I had a lot of room to spare.

I have done the first 5 now and got upto Castle II and i just can't even progress through this at all at the moment, I tried the knife/flash way and wasn't getting anywhere at all but the pistol way started to make some progress but even in the 2nd area i can't progress through it, It seems i need some serious luck on getting a couple of decent perks but everytime i restart this stage i end up with pointless perks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

I have done the first 5 now and got upto Castle II and i just can't even progress through this at all at the moment, I tried the knife/flash way and wasn't getting anywhere at all but the pistol way started to make some progress but even in the 2nd area i can't progress through it, It seems i need some serious luck on getting a couple of decent perks but everytime i restart this stage i end up with pointless perks.

Yep, same here.. Stuck on this stupid Castle 2 level for 2 days now, can't even describe how frustrated I am with this game.. Did have a couple of good runs but the best I did was A rank. Just can't maintain the combo and keep running out of pistol ammo on stage 4 and dying because of it.

Didn't even start on Factory for my sanity sake.. I actually even struggled to get S rank on factory 1 because of it's layout. And god damn the need to slowly upgrade your gun and buy same sh*t every single time. Seriously testing my patience.

Sorry for ranting but I literally about to break my controller. And it's coming from a guy who did Max Payne 3 New York Minute Hardcore 3 month ago and wasn't as frustrated while doing it.

1 minute ago, iliya0212 said:

Yep, same here.. Stuck on this stupid Castle 2 level for 2 days now, can't even describe how frustrated I am with this game.. Did have a couple of good runs but the best I did was A rank. Just can't maintain the combo and keep running out of pistol ammo on stage 4 and dying because of it.

Didn't even start on Factory for my sanity sake.. I actually even struggled to get S rank on factory 1 because of it's layout. And god damn the need to slowly upgrade your gun and buy same sh*t every single time. Seriously testing my patience.

Sorry for ranting but I literally about to break my controller. And it's coming from a guy who did Max Payne 3 New York Minute Hardcore 3 month ago and wasn't as frustrated while doing it.

Yeah i am not even going into Factory 2 yet as this Castle 2 is getting me close enough to deleting the game as it is lol.

11 minutes ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

Yeah i am not even going into Factory 2 yet as this Castle 2 is getting me close enough to deleting the game as it is lol.

Man, I mean I am not giving up yet but damn am I not having a good time right now

4 minutes ago, iliya0212 said:

Man, I mean I am not giving up yet but damn am I not having a good time right now

So much luck is also needed some perks i get are so pointless then next time ill get decent perks but ill completely mess up lol, But i have been getting better at the routes i take through the castle.

I suggest Makas Guides on YouTube. He just uploaded better walkthroughs for the stages. Better strategies than the grenade launcher cheese. I did factory 2 on my second try after following his videos. Before watching, I replayed it about 25 times. After that I was able to do Mad village 2 first try from his walkthroughs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UNLOADED said:

I suggest Makas Guides on YouTube. He just uploaded better walkthroughs for the stages. Better strategies than the grenade launcher cheese. I did factory 2 on my second try after following his videos. Before watching, I replayed it about 25 times. After that I was able to do Mad village 2 first try from his walkthroughs. 

Thanks man, will definetly check them out!

Edit: Actually pulled this off by following this guide. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Edited by iliya0212
  • Like 1

Just earned the platinum, the Pistol/Magnum combo with a number of mines worked fantastic on the last four levels. The V61 upgraded with damage and rate of fire/reload speed is fantastic for the first four levels as you can easily mow all the enemies down with it. The factory 2 was the worst of the last four with the mad village 2 being the easiest of the last four! 

Only ever use the magnum on the mini bosses (Daughters/Armoured Wolves when suitable/Giants). For the Factory, Strum can be killed easily using the normal pistol. For the Pistol, focus on Damage/Reload Speed/Rate of Fire and ignore Ammo Capacity as you’ll be constantly reloading anyways.

Edited by Gladiator995

I managed to do it but only by barely grazing through with the minimum requirements.

I found the "Slow-Motion" power up really helped on levels 5-8, enemies seem a lot more speedy. 

Especially levels 7 and 8, and helps with Soldats and archers.

The enemy archers are a huge pain, one time they won't hit you at all, other times you will get you blind sided.

Or in my case of Factory area 2, waste 6 grenade rounds because they deflected the arrow heads and not hit the archers.

Also for Village 2, if you get the full 41 combo (don't forget the small blue bird at the beginning!) you can take area 2 pretty casually and get enough points for the 'S' rank.

Just try to keep your combo until the archers and you should be fine - don't be afraid to be liberal with you Mag if you only want the 'S' rank.

Factory 1 and 2 where the biggest pains, it just comes down to holding your combo for as long as possible.

And that you get lucky with the power up, but even then theres RNG with enemies, I would of had a longer combo in Factory 2 area 1 if the the 1st Daughter actually appeared properly.

I like the concept of the mode and power ups, but its just executed so poorly, it should of been more like Revelations 2 'Raid mode' rather than a weird mix of Raid and old mercenaries.

This sort of gameplay works better in a more linear fashion.

I pray to almighty Wesker they don't include dlc trophies for this mode, once was enough for me, I can't be bothered to try and unlock the 'lightsaber'.

I found Castle 2 to be the hardest.  Once you get the route down on Factory its not so bad.  Heres a couple tips for Castle 2

1st map.  Upgrade pistol damage to 3 or 4 and max rate of fire. Put one into reload or capacity if you feel the need.  Buy pipe bombs and mines with remainder.  Take out the big guy with explosives and use pistol on him as much as possible.  Should be pretty smooth up until armored lycan, use pipe bombs if you have any and finish level.  I did not full combo here but it helps. Did kill all enemies though.

2nd map. This is hardest imo. Buy the magnum.  Upgrade pistol to your liking and buy more explosives if you can.  Here just survive, you only need 4 or 5 magnum shots for map 3 so use them when in trouble. Use explosives the same way. Try to get a combo between 15-20.  I did not full combo this either.  Did kill all enemies.

Map 3.  Not too hard but this one will make or break you.  I got a full combo here. When you get to first daughter try to get multi kills with magnum shot.  At the courtyard do the same.  From what i can tell the courtyard enemies will NOT enter the dining room, they come up the stairs and funnel to your left outside, use this to your advantage.  Make sure your ready for the Soldat and take him out immediately.  If you have extra magnum ammo use it, just save 1 for last daughter.

4th map.  You should be close or done by this point.  Sell magnum, buy grenade launcher or explosives.  Kill what you can , If your out of ammo or health book it for the exit

Edited by xTaterNutsx

33 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I'm at Castle 2 now and close to getting the S-Rank, but honestly, what an absolute pointless shitshow of a tacked on gameplay mode this is. The game has long outstayed its welcome by the time folks get around to it, so why they try to keep people sticking around with this kind of content is a mystery. Pretty dumb imo.

I mean, obviously this forum is targetted to trophy hunting but this mode is not meant to be for the casual or easily sick of the gameplay loop players. It is for the huge resident evil fans who have been playing for years. Provide some replayability and challenge in an extra mode. They have done this many times before in different versions. No one is making anyone play it (unless you are like me and have unfortunately made the internal platinum promise :/ ), they could have made it even more insane and had trophies for SSS (thank the lord they didnt make it that!).

In saying all that, I am getting my ass whooped and it is only Factory 1, I find the videos linked earlier very helpful and will open them up on my laptop and go through the levels then pause to try and not get lost. I do find the rifle to be my best bet, just struggle with ammo. 

6 hours ago, Sitris said:

I mean, obviously this forum is targetted to trophy hunting but this mode is not meant to be for the casual or easily sick of the gameplay loop players. It is for the huge resident evil fans who have been playing for years. Provide some replayability and challenge in an extra mode. They have done this many times before in different versions. No one is making anyone play it (unless you are like me and have unfortunately made the internal platinum promise :/ ), they could have made it even more insane and had trophies for SSS (thank the lord they didnt make it that!).

In saying all that, I am getting my ass whooped and it is only Factory 1, I find the videos linked earlier very helpful and will open them up on my laptop and go through the levels then pause to try and not get lost. I do find the rifle to be my best bet, just struggle with ammo. 

I think it's the fact that there are way more enjoyable methods to bring replayability and challenge that don't railroad someone through a bolted on gameplay mode that would ordinarily be a DLC or RE Net specific thing. They have the entire game they could have added some of that to in addition to what is already on offer in the core experience. I think by your logic - if a person is a huge RE fan who has been playing for years, they don't necessarily need a trophy or two specific to a tacked on mode like Mercenaries to enjoy Mercenaries.

RE2 remake is a perfect example of how to do an RE Platinum experience correctly - I thought the level of challenge and dedication required for the base game 100% was smooth as butter, focused specifically on the core experience and mastering that. RE7 was a similar super enjoyable experience and anything arguably gimmicky was pushed through DLC content.

I'm saying all this as the huge RE fan who has been playing for years that you referenced above. I think it's completely achievable with time and practice for anyone and you are spot on about utilising video guides to assist, but it doesn't really change what i'm saying about how silly it was to clumsily stick this mode on what could have been a perfect trophy list for an RE game.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the Mercenaries mode is slightly exagerrated by how hard it is. I don't mean this as a brag at all - I'm an average to below average gamer who found it difficult like most of you - but I don't see it as a platinum breaker (or in my case, on Xbox completion breaker). I have the completions for RE7, RE2 remake, RE3 remake and RE Village (Xbox) and about 200 hours between the four games. I would say Mercenaries Mode was the 4th hardest thing I've done for the completion between all those games.

4) Mercenaries Mode (Resident Evil Village) - First 4 variants are not that difficult. Village 2 and Mad Village 2 are tricky-ish, but only took a few attempts. Castle 2 wasn't very fun, and Factory 2 was a complete nightmare. I was raging on here regarding Factory 2 specifically, which I do think is very unbalanced, but other than that I didn't find it too bad as a mode overall. Pistol + Magnum is 1000000% the way to go for the 2nd map variants. I felt it was less hard than the other things listed below because it felt more MY fault at a skill level when I didn't succeed. With the right set-up, tactics and memorisation, this mode is pretty doable. There is a small element of RNG but you don't need to be too reliant on skill orbs to succeed (for Factory 2 I would intentionally miss most of them to maintain my combo). May go back, even with the 1000G, to get SS ranks as the lightsaber weapon looks awesome.

3) Ethan Must Die (Resident Evil 7) - Cool mode, like the RNG aspect as it feels intentional and what makes the mode, rather than a hinderence. Pretty hard, but I always felt I'd get it. Got to the latter stages of the boss fight several times and died quite close to the end, so I knew it was more a matter of time and perservence. Time wise the equivalent to one of the longer Mercenaries stages so attempts didn't feel too frustrating.

2) Night Terror (Resident Evil 7) - I loved the DLC in RE7 by and large - challenge and all - but this mode was an exception. I don't like horde modes, espeically in RE (more on that later), so for me Night Terror sucked. Each attempt is around 40-50 mins so it is gut-wrenching when you fail. I had to cheese it with the saw, and even then I very nearly failed. Jack is the definition of a bullet sponge in this mode, he took SO much damage. I got it on my 3rd or 4th attempt but it was one of those things where I felt I lucked out completely, rather than getting through it out of skill.

1) No Way Out (Resident Evil 2 Remake) - This was utter hell. RE2 remake was utterly incredible but I hated the DLC. The trend you can see is that I don't like Resident Evil + Horde game modes. No Way Out is way worse because it is so claustrophobic and less reliant on tactics, more on if you got lucky with the weapon usage based on enemy spawns and your positioning at that time. It felt consistently harder after the 5th wave of ten enemies than Night Terror, as much as I hated it. The only time in any of the 4 games where I genuinly felt in my gut I wouldn't be able to maintain my completion, but somehow lucked out on my 2nd day of trying. I genuinly don't believe I could do it again.

Edited by PhantomFear94

Oh fo sho those are probably harder, I didn't play the RE7 DLCs (but I watched them) and I did play No Way Out. However I think there's gonna be more bitching and moaning here because unlike those three you pointed out... this one is a non-DLC trophy blocking the plat.

I managed Castle II, but Factory II is killing me. Routing is no problem for me with the plentiful guides online, but as a primarily M+KB gamer, I can't take down those drill dudes fast enough to maintain combo. I might luck out with enough persistence but goddamn, this is not fun. Wish they had put more time into this mode to at least make it fun and varied. LEMI spam is just not my idea of a good time.

Edited by h4mx0r

Haha okay got the platinum. what a relief. Executioner is such an MVP skill. If you fail to kill a soldat or anything but manage to bring him low, you can just blast him in the kneecaps for 700-800 damage.

Also unplanned but I had accidentally A ranked Mad Village 1 my first time through, but I saved it for last because I didn't want Masamune in my powerup pool (I didn't wanna do the knife strat). Anyways, after struggling through Castle II and Factory II, Mad Village 1 was such a cake walk with a fully upgraded machine gun pistol. It was cathartic almost, effortlessly murdering all the lycans and soldats that got in my way.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

In my opinion, the Mercenaries mode is slightly exagerrated by how hard it is. I don't mean this as a brag at all - I'm an average to below average gamer who found it difficult like most of you - but I don't see it as a platinum breaker (or in my case, on Xbox completion breaker). I have the completions for RE7, RE2 remake, RE3 remake and RE Village (Xbox) and about 200 hours between the four games. I would say Mercenaries Mode was the 4th hardest thing I've done for the completion between all those games.

4) Mercenaries Mode (Resident Evil Village) - First 4 variants are not that difficult. Village 2 and Mad Village 2 are tricky-ish, but only took a few attempts. Castle 2 wasn't very fun, and Factory 2 was a complete nightmare. I was raging on here regarding Factory 2 specifically, which I do think is very unbalanced, but other than that I didn't find it too bad as a mode overall. Pistol + Magnum is 1000000% the way to go for the 2nd map variants. I felt it was less hard than the other things listed below because it felt more MY fault at a skill level when I didn't succeed. With the right set-up, tactics and memorisation, this mode is pretty doable. There is a small element of RNG but you don't need to be too reliant on skill orbs to succeed (for Factory 2 I would intentionally miss most of them to maintain my combo). May go back, even with the 1000G, to get SS ranks as the lightsaber weapon looks awesome.

3) Ethan Must Die (Resident Evil 7) - Cool mode, like the RNG aspect as it feels intentional and what makes the mode, rather than a hinderence. Pretty hard, but I always felt I'd get it. Got to the latter stages of the boss fight several times and died quite close to the end, so I knew it was more a matter of time and perservence. Time wise the equivalent to one of the longer Mercenaries stages so attempts didn't feel too frustrating.

2) Night Terror (Resident Evil 7) - I loved the DLC in RE7 by and large - challenge and all - but this mode was an exception. I don't like horde modes, espeically in RE (more on that later), so for me Night Terror sucked. Each attempt is around 40-50 mins so it is gut-wrenching when you fail. I had to cheese it with the saw, and even then I very nearly failed. Jack is the definition of a bullet sponge in this mode, he took SO much damage. I got it on my 3rd or 4th attempt but it was one of those things where I felt I lucked out completely, rather than getting through it out of skill.

1) No Way Out (Resident Evil 2 Remake) - This was utter hell. RE2 remake was utterly incredible but I hated the DLC. The trend you can see is that I don't like Resident Evil + Horde game modes. No Way Out is way worse because it is so claustrophobic and less reliant on tactics, more on if you got lucky with the weapon usage based on enemy spawns and your positioning at that time. It felt consistently harder after the 5th wave of ten enemies than Night Terror, as much as I hated it. The only time in any of the 4 games where I genuinly felt in my gut I wouldn't be able to maintain my completion, but somehow lucked out on my 2nd day of trying. I genuinly don't believe I could do it again.

This is such a relief to hear. I didnt do the re7 extra modes but I did No way Out on RE2 remake and while it was tough I think I got it quite quickly(within an hr or two) but like you said I feel like it was more luck based. Need to get back to doing mercenaries mode on Re Village soon.

15 hours ago, h4mx0r said:

Oh fo sho those are probably harder, I didn't play the RE7 DLCs (but I watched them) and I did play No Way Out. However I think there's gonna be more bitching and moaning here because unlike those three you pointed out... this one is a non-DLC trophy blocking the plat.

I managed Castle II, but Factory II is killing me. Routing is no problem for me with the plentiful guides online, but as a primarily M+KB gamer, I can't take down those drill dudes fast enough to maintain combo. I might luck out with enough persistence but goddamn, this is not fun. Wish they had put more time into this mode to at least make it fun and varied. LEMI spam is just not my idea of a good time.

I personally finished this stage with 62/64 enemies, skipping Sturm and one of the drill soldats, still getting the S-rank due to my super high combo before this room. Essentially, maintain your combo until after the sisters (46-47) at a bare minimum. In fact I think I was around 58 (maybe a bit lower) before it finally broke with the enemies on the stairs leading to the goal marker. It's really easy to maintain your combo until the Sturm room in my opinion with an hour or so of practise.

Get the magnum immediately, upgrade pistol to Lv. 4 power, Lv. 2 RoF and Lv. 2 ammo capacity. Save magnum for following situations (in order of encounter) and maintaining combo should be quite easy.

- 1* on armoured lycan by flame archers (aim for chest; iff you only knock off 80% of health with a headshot finish them off with standard pistol, don't waste another magnum shot).

- 2* on armoured lycans in room next to 'relief mould' room in story

- 2* on drill soldats after room where you place the cog in the story (I usually don't use magnum on soldats, but its easier here because 1 comes after the other and you may not have any mines left).

- 3* on sisters 

- 1* on armoured soldat before Sturm spawns (I would run out of my final magnum ammo just before Sturm, but reasoned that  if I tried to conserve it I would die anyway).

In the final area where Sturm spawns, I would ignore him and run around and take out all the standard enemies instead, maintaining combo as much as possible.There is a mine around here if you really want to try, but low pistol ammo will start becoming a factor here too. Doing this, I got it 2nd time. Sturm isn't worth it on Factory 2 if your ONLY objective is S-rank for the trophy. Doing this (62/64 with a 58(ish) combo before Sturm, then ignoring him and one Soldat due to ammo) I had about 650K points after Stage 1, enough for S rank, even without the all enemies bonus I made a rule in every other map. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1