Radford999

Is Mercenaries very hard?

20 posts in this topic

I’ve got all the story related trophies. Just about to start Mercenaries mode. I’ve heard it is extremely difficult to get S rank on all stages. I’ve never even played Mercenaries mode before in previous RE games. So how hard is it? Has anyone managed to do it? If so what guides/strategies would you recommend? Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

I’ve got all the story related trophies. Just about to start Mercenaries mode. I’ve heard it is extremely difficult to get S rank on all stages. I’ve never even played Mercenaries mode before in previous RE games. So how hard is it? Has anyone managed to do it? If so what guides/strategies would you recommend? Thanks. 

The S ranks are not too hard to earn it is not like SS ranks as that is harder to earn and if you did well you would get a lightsabre to use but meh

Try PowerPyx guide, it worked for me xD First 4 stages should be easy to handle using their F2 rifle strat (combo stacking easily once it is upgraded + you know where and when enemy will spawn) and then for the last 4 stages, it will be entirely luck dependent for the most parts if you use their Masamune strat (Knife + Flash Bang run, careful with the enemy attacks though, since last 4 stages are on Village of Shadow difficulty meaning 2 hit will kill you for most parts if you don't block); I got lucky with the RNG god and got Masamune + Blade Master bunch of times in a row (Doing around 5k dmg a hit) which lower my plat time considerably xD 

Have they announced more DLC for this game?  Maybe more characters for Mercenaries?  I guess that wouldn’t be too exciting for a first person mode shooter but eh, why not.

Posted (edited)

Wow this is so damn hard 😂 lol. I’ve got S rank on the first 4 stages using the sniper rifle. That wasn't too bad. But i’m having a bad time on the 2 versions! I’m undecided which strat to use. The pistol strat seems good but i always seem to lose my combo because it takes too many shots to kill an enemy. Even when it’s fully upgraded it takes too long on the bigger enemies. Hmmm. 

Edit: Managed to S rank The Village 2 using the pistol strat. I must admit no way did i expect to get S rank. I lost combo a bunch of times. But it just shows you don’t need to be perfect. 

Edited by Radford999

Does anyone know if there is a list of every stage that tells you what score needs to be achieved to get rank S?

9 hours ago, Radford999 said:

Does anyone know if there is a list of every stage that tells you what score needs to be achieved to get rank S?

yes there is, there is a book on side near the door that tells you how much points you need to S rank it. Also Handgun is the only way to deal with things and the magnum should be gotten after the handgun is nearly fully maxed out so if you get to around only 2 upgrades left on the handgun till you get to max it just use the rest of the money on the magnum as it will be needed to take out harder enemies, like the big plane blade thing

3 hours ago, Lonemankane said:

yes there is, there is a book on side near the door that tells you how much points you need to S rank it. Also Handgun is the only way to deal with things and the magnum should be gotten after the handgun is nearly fully maxed out so if you get to around only 2 upgrades left on the handgun till you get to max it just use the rest of the money on the magnum as it will be needed to take out harder enemies, like the big plane blade thing

Thanks. 

Finally got the plat. Was not easy! I used the pistol strat. The Factory 2 was by far the most difficult stage. The final stage was actually incredibly easy. Most of the enemies were just standard enemies. And it was very easy to get a full combo in area 1 which only put you 150,000 behind S rank. 

Will the Mercenaries trophy be the barrier to the plat for most people?  I'm assuming, and I could be wrong, that with enough patience and practice that most people could eventually S rank the levels.  I haven't played it myself yet, but this trophy is already giving me nightmares.  :P

I figure since I managed all of the RE7 DLC that this should be around the same difficulty and frustration, just a different format.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Radford999 said:

Finally got the plat. Was not easy! I used the pistol strat. The Factory 2 was by far the most difficult stage. The final stage was actually incredibly easy. Most of the enemies were just standard enemies. And it was very easy to get a full combo in area 1 which only put you 150,000 behind S rank. 

Congrats! How long did it take you in total to finish all stages? 

Edited by abhinandhan22

47 minutes ago, abhinandhan22 said:

Congrats! How long did it take you in total to finish all stages? 

Got to be over 10 hours. Maybe 10-15 hours. But most of that time was spent trying stages 6 and 7 as they were the hardest. 

1 hour ago, SirShavesALot said:

Will the Mercenaries trophy be the barrier to the plat for most people?  I'm assuming, and I could be wrong, that with enough patience and practice that most people could eventually S rank the levels.  I haven't played it myself yet, but this trophy is already giving me nightmares.  :P

I figure since I managed all of the RE7 DLC that this should be around the same difficulty and frustration, just a different format.

Thanks!

It will definitely be a plat blocker for some people. It’s not easy. Stages 6 and 7 were the toughest. 

You don't even have to clear the level. I died early on in the second stage of Factory 2, and third stage on Mad Village 2, and still got SS ranks. Running around with a lightsaber is pretty fun considering how frantic my first hardcore playthrough was lol

I finally got the Legendary Gunslinger and I had the worst time. 

What's frustrating that it's not even fun and it just takes of your time. The appeal of mercenaries in RE games is that you have different characters that have their own unique set of weapons you can chose from to fit your own playstyle and have fun gunning down enemies to get the best score. This is NOT mercenaries, this is more a cross between raid mode in Revelations games and Battle mode in Code Veronica. None of them were as bad and those were at least fun. I feel like the first person perspective or not giving enough attention severely hurts this mode and I was actually someone who was looking forward to this mode. Damn that lightsaber, cause I never ever want to go back to this mode as it is frustrating as heel and whoever designed the section in factory levels should not be allowed to design anything like this ever. 

56 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

I finally got the Legendary Gunslinger and I had the worst time. 

What's frustrating that it's not even fun and it just takes of your time. The appeal of mercenaries in RE games is that you have different characters that have their own unique set of weapons you can chose from to fit your own playstyle and have fun gunning down enemies to get the best score. This is NOT mercenaries, this is more a cross between raid mode in Revelations games and Battle mode in Code Veronica. None of them were as bad and those were at least fun. I feel like the first person perspective or not giving enough attention severely hurts this mode and I was actually someone who was looking forward to this mode. Damn that lightsaber, cause I never ever want to go back to this mode as it is frustrating as heel and whoever designed the section in factory levels should not be allowed to design anything like this ever. 

This. 

I was excited for Mercenaries. I've spent houndreds of hours in Revelations raid mode. But why is it even called Mercenaries? You don't have... Well... MERCENARIES to chose from. 

Genuine question, because I've put only 2-3 hours into Mercenaries yet, does anyone here actually ENJOYS this mode? Or are we all just collectively suffering through it to crawl towards platinum?

7 hours ago, Forunth said:

Genuine question, because I've put only 2-3 hours into Mercenaries yet, does anyone here actually ENJOYS this mode? Or are we all just collectively suffering through it to crawl towards platinum?

I actually enjoyed the the first Village, Castle, and Mad Village levels. The rest are a miss for me, however saying that, it still doesn't have the replayabilty that 4-6 Mercenaries have or the Revelations Raid mode has.

As for how hard it is? My take is that it isn't that difficult but don't expect plow through the mercenaries trophies in a couple hours. The first 4 levels have easy S rank requirements, but the last 4 seem to hard but can be forgiven at times, still want to keep that score multiplier up.

For the first 3, I just used the V61 and upgraded it to the max; and for the 4th "easy" level I used the V61 and SYH-12. For the last 4, it seems like the knife strat wasn't working for me so I'm just using the handgun with fully upgraded damage, fire rate, and reload speed and the magnum. I don't really upgrade the handguns ammo because the reload speed negates the need and I would rather use the money for other items.

Is it difficult? Short answer: Yes.

This is one of the worst side modes I’ve played in any game. It is not fun, and it also doesn’t work properly. Sometimes enemies won’t spawn for whatever reason, ruining your combo. Or they won’t show up until you’re close enough.

This is probably the least fun I've had with a Mercenaries game mode. Not really fond of this style where you have to memorize a route. I liked maintaining combos with staggers and melee strikes, and a big assortment of weapons. Every character even had their own melee finisher animations to ooze style!

RE8's first 4 is just buy the machine pistol. And then there's the latter 4 stages. "Here's your dinky pistol, yeah you can upgrade it, but there's not much else!" Or the knife strat, but have fun re-rolling masamune!

It's definitely a challenge. So far I have managed to get S Rank on the first and second stage. The Factory is bs. In my opinion this trophy ruined the whole platinum. And I don't think I'll be able to do it. If anyone is up for it to help me out through Share Play, let me know ^^

On 2021-05-11 at 10:30 AM, SirShavesALot said:

Thanks!

I’d say without a doubt. I’d also say this is more frustrating than any of the DLC in 7. In 7 Ethan Must Die was fairly challenging, but pretty enjoyable. Jack’s 55th(?) Birthday took some getting used to but wasn't too bad, the basement survival section took a few tries, and (personally) Survival 21+ was the worst. But this is required for the platinum and is easily less enjoyable than anything I just mentioned.

On 2021-05-12 at 5:15 PM, Forunth said:

This. 

I was excited for Mercenaries. I've spent houndreds of hours in Revelations raid mode. But why is it even called Mercenaries? You don't have... Well... MERCENARIES to chose from. 

I personally enjoyed the first two stages. It was literally just running through with the 1911 and having a hundred bullets in a mag and killing everything easily. The 6 other stages… no. Not at all 😤