Zombies Ate My Neighbors & Ghoul Patrol

LucasArts 16-bit classic Zombies Ate My Neighbors getting modern re-release

Lucasfilm Games, Dotemu, and Limited Run Games are bringing Zombies Ate My Neighbors and its sequel, Ghoul Patrol, to modern platforms this summer, the companies announced Tuesday. The 16-bit games — specifically the Super NES versions — will receive new features when they come to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One on June 29, 2021.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors was originally released for Sega Genesis and SNES in 1993 through Konami. The top-down run-and-gun game stars Zeke and Julie as they battle zombies, vampires, Martians, mutant blobs, and other monsters across more than 50 levels of schlock horror sci-fi action. Ghoul Patrol brought back Zeke and Julie for more adventures the following year.

Both titles will get modern features, including a quick-save system, achievements, and behind-the-scenes galleries with game art and a video interview with the original Zombies Ate My Neighbors developers. Players can enjoy both games in two-player local co-op mode.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol will be available digitally, as a bundle, for $14.99 through the Nintendo Switch eShop, PlayStation Store, Xbox Games Store, Steam, and GOG.com. Limited Run Games will release physical editions of the games for “select modern and legacy platforms,” with details promised sometime this summer.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 4

I loved Zombies Ate My Neighbors when I was a kid. Eventually I'd even play it with someone on netplay. It's a shame everything always has to be a bundle though. I didn't like Ghoul Patrol as much, and in all likelihood they will have one trophy list for both games.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 2:11 PM, ShadeSplit said:

I loved Zombies Ate My Neighbors when I was a kid. Eventually I'd even play it with someone on netplay. It's a shame everything always has to be a bundle though. I didn't like Ghoul Patrol as much, and in all likelihood they will have one trophy list for both games.

I actually never played either of these games even though they were popular for their time. But it's like the Disney Collection. I would of preferred Aladdin and The Lion King to have been separate. But even then they just gave trophy whores a free pass because you can get the platinum in that in under 30 minutes.

Hopefully this bundle in contrast will have a couple challenging trophies.

ZAMN has great coop, played it a ton with my mates, not sure if I will like it as much playing on my own.

Is kinda the same as Toejam and Earl, similiar style to ZAMN and absolutely loved it, but then playing it again on PS3. It's a bit boring playing on your own.

Never played Ghoul Patrol, or even knew it existed :)

This is for sure a day one purchase for me and whatever type of Limited Run physical release this is getting if any is also getting swooped up as well. Played the hell out of ZAMN when I was a kid back in the 90's with friends and got really obsessed with it. I don't normally like to say I'm going to plat a game before seeing a list, but this will be a rare exception where I don't care what the list looks like or the difficulty I WILL plat this game purely based on the nostalgia factor and the amount of time I put into this game as a kid. I'm also going to make this a milestone plat (assuming it has a plat, which I really hope it does). 

8 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I actually never played either of these games even though they were popular for their time. But it's like the Disney Collection. I would of preferred Aladdin and The Lion King to have been separate. But even then they just gave trophy whores a free pass because you can get the platinum in that in under 30 minutes.

Hopefully this bundle in contrast will have a couple challenging trophies.

The game itself is quite challenging, but I'm guessing it will end up being easy due to the "modern features". If it somehow doesn't end up being a giveaway and the games have separate lists, I'll most likely buy it.

12 hours ago, ShadeSplit said:

The game itself is quite challenging, but I'm guessing it will end up being easy due to the "modern features". If it somehow doesn't end up being a giveaway and the games have separate lists, I'll most likely buy it.

That's basically any classic collection or game. Even the upcoming Capcom Arcade Stadium is going to have "modern features", hopefully they actually make that one a bit challenging.

I'm really tired of retro style, nostalgia style games getting piss easy platinums, like that one I commented on the other night. People just buy it because it's easy, not because it's a good game or has content worth playing through.

We had the old Castlevania and Contra collections from a couple years back, which are unfortunately a bundle but at least you still have to beat the games so I couldn't complain.

I loved Zombies as a kid on the Sega Genesis. Getting this day 1 digitally and probably get the physical PS4 copy from Limited Run as well. Never even knew of Ghoul Patrol but it doesn't look as good as Zombies from the video. Hope this has a Platinum and it's not an all bronze trophy list.

Edited by Mercenary09

This is one of those nostalgia filled classics. Always the hidden gem I talk about that no one ever seemed to remember. Yet when you see this news you realise how much everyone loves the old classic

Can't wait to get owned on it again. Loved the game, never got far

• 4 weeks later...

The game was poorly promoted for PS4, the only thing I saw was the PS logo in a recent teaser. There was no pre-sale, no video on the PS channel on YT, the trophies list has not been released until the moment I type this answer (while the Xbox has already released the achievements) and today, which was the launch, so far it has not appeared on PS Store. It's unfortunate.

It is pathetic to note that they took the main screens of both games, the error starts there.

1 minute ago, WitchHunterDX said:

The game was poorly promoted for PS4, the only thing I saw was the PS logo in a recent teaser. There was no pre-sale, no video on the PS channel on YT, the trophies list has not been released until the moment I type this answer (while the Xbox has already released the achievements) and today, which was the launch, so far it has not appeared on PS Store. It's unfortunate.

It is pathetic to note that they took the main screens of both games, the error starts there.

Man this was one of my favorite games growing up and I still play it by myself or with a friend a few times a year ): I’ve been super hyped for this since it was fkn announced and now they’re pulling this shit.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, crpthnflrst said:

Man this was one of my favorite games growing up and I still play it by myself or with a friend a few times a year ): I’ve been super hyped for this since it was fkn announced and now they’re pulling this shit.

I had the Ghoul Patrol on a cartridge, Zombies I got to know many years later through an emulator, and I remember that I didn't like it much because I got used to GP, but I played little. GP was one of the most fun games I played, I consider it a pearl of the SNES.

When this collection was announced I was immediately excited, I remember that it was 1 week after I was remembering the GP songs on youtube. I looked forward to being able to play on PS4, kill my childhood in GP, and finally play calmly and complete Zombies. It's unfortunate how every retro game I want to buy on PS4 always has problems, whether because of trophies (Blizzard Arcade Collection), lack of release on PS Store in my country (Wild Guns Reloaded and Disney Classics Collection are not available in the Brazilian PS store ) or due to problems in the launch, which is the case of this topic. Sony as always lacking with respect to the consumer, or, who knows, the responsible for the game.

That's a shame, I've been looking forward to playing ZAMN in particular because I used to play it as a kid with all the homies back in the 90's. Super nostalgic for me, I've got the Collector's Edition ordered from LRG but that's probably not gonna arrive till the end of the year if I'm lucky.