Worst trophies ever!

Most of the trophies are actually not that bad. NieR games are set up in such a way that subsequent New Game Plus runs offer more cutscenes and dialogue to give you a full narrative picture. Something I actually praise, because it keeps you invested and sheds light on events from a different perspective.

However, I will agree that the "Upgrade 33 weapons fully" trophy is just a complete waste of time. What's the point in upgrading 33 different weapons if you'll wield just your favorite one anyway?

Oh, and riding a boar for five minutes is perhaps the easiest one in the whole game. I've had to deal with trophies way worse than this one in other lists, trust me. You should be grateful it's a measly five minutes. Be glad the devs didn't decide to make this one pure torture by letting you ride it actively (so no controller idling!) e.g. for 500 minutes. Kiss your lucky stars, accept the five minutes on the boar and move on.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, mana__banana said:

Doesn't really justify the inclusion of the cutscenes time into the boss fights. Why would they make a cutscene and then create a trophy that require you to skip it? It's just a poor design choice.

Like what JoaLoft said, you could have done that one with any of the subsequent playthroughs, or in my case after Ending E and reloading your game save prior to playing the a different character. Although some others would swear that they watched the cutscenes and still got the 15 hour target, I believe that's very tight but doable.

1 hour ago, JoaLoft said:

However, I will agree that the "Upgrade 33 weapons fully" trophy is just a complete waste of time. What's the point in upgrading 33 different weapons if you'll wield just your favorite one anyway?

Replicant 2021 is a bit generous compared to Replicant 2010 as we have the option to skip certain weapons as we have got two extra sets from the DLCs I believe. I skipped two Phoenix weapons (keeping the Spear as it's my fave weapon from the original game) to avoid farming Black Pearls. The DLC weapons are the easiest to upgrade as the materials aren't that hard so it's very possible to skip the weapons that would require the notorious Subdued Bracelets or even the Forlorn Necklaces.  I think Platinum Games listened to the fans who played the first game thus given us the trophy shop - which I used to skip upgrading all weapons for a similar trophy.  However this would also mean personally missing out on other endings which is what NieR games are really all about.

... and riding a boar for five minutes is perhaps the easiest one in the whole game. I've had to deal with trophies way worse than this one in other lists, trust me. 

I'm thinking of Mafia II's 'drive 1,000 miles' trophy here. If not for the glitch this would have been an absolute pain in the bum. I'm sure there other similar ones which somehow escapes my mind right now. But yeah ride the boar for 5 minutes which you can actually leave idle and do something else in real life - make a sandwich perhaps or be kind to your kidneys and take a loo break for example, then it really doesn't seem that bad.

Edited by eispan71
  • Like 1

Hi, I have both the PS3 and PS4 version of the platinum for NieR and here's some examples of worse trophy lists:

-Gauntlet Slayer Edition

-Almost any Tales of game, most notably Zestiria or Symphonia

-Star Ocean games

-Kingdom Hearts 1 and Chain of Memories, especially on PS3

-most JRPGs in general

-the Dark Souls games if you don't cheap out and have another player lend you all the NG++ stuff to get

-Ni no Kuni II if you want the DLC trophies, it was still kind of tedious just doing base game

-Rayman Legends, though I had some fun doing the daily missions

-Code Vein

-Asura's Wrath, minimum of having to replay the game four times if you S rank each mission on your first try (which you won't)

-Monster Hunter World

-probably most of the Dynasty Warrior games

-And special shout out to Exist Archive, fuck that game

-Panzer Dragoon Remake, 100 hours of play time for a short game

And there's probably worse out there.

-Just use guides on where the drops are and you'll be fine.

-Board the boar and go take a piss or do a chore

-The garden works on real time and it's not like you're gonna die if you don't GET IT RIGHT NOW. Just launch the game every day, tend to your garden, and get it eventually.

-All of the boss speedrun trophies should come naturally in route C even if you haven't upgraded your weapons. Just skip the cutscenes then because there's nothing new during bosses besides the novel segment in the final dungeon.

-The game can be finished in under 5-7 hours for the normal person. It's even simpler because you have to redo part of the first half of the game for route E so you're already a portion of the way there.

-There's so many tips on getting gold out there I'm not gonna bother besides saying look it up.

• Like 4

On 5/13/2021 at 7:37 PM, mana__banana said:

Why would they make a cutscene and then create a trophy that require you to skip it?

Nothing forces you to skip anything, as mentioned already all of the boss specific ones are very easy to do (especially w/ Phoenix Spear) by reloading a save after watching the initial cutscenes if you can't do both at once. The 15 hour speedrun is also pretty easy with cutscenes if you're aware of it prior to starting and don't detour on anything, if you completely tunnel vision the main story you end up sacrificing a lot of easier side quests in the first half but that's what I did (with cutscenes) and according to timestamps I had nearly 3 hours IRL time to spare and definitely could've thrown a few in (though I was not aware of the side quest thing until it was too late).

On 5/13/2021 at 1:13 AM, mana__banana said:

awful 20 hours material grinding

I can partially agree here, but only because of a select few that are much more annoying to get such as reloading for black pearls. As once again mentioned above though this isn't nearly as bad in the remaster with the 5 new weapons allowing you to skip the annoying ones.

trophies based on real time

The farming has been made a lot quicker IIRC and shouldn't be as bad, but even then you can just use the time zone trick and simplify everything. Wheat farming from what I can remember also yielded a lot of money and made the 1M gold very easily obtainable - could also hoard all your materials prior to weapon upgrading, save your game, sell everything to hit 1M and get the trophy, then reload your save and move on as if nothing happened.

If you don't like it, don't play it - or play it and just don't care about 100%ing it. I don't understand why people feel they are required to do anything trophy/achievement related and then complain about it as if they're being forced to do it like it's their job.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Secretfoo said:

If you don't like it, don't play it - or play it and just don't care about 100%ing it. I don't understand why people feel they are required to do anything trophy/achievement related and then complain about it as if they're being forced to do it like it's their job.

Truth, If you don't like the trophies then don't go for it. Enjoyment of a game depends on more factors than trophies don't let trophies keep you from enjoying a great game developed for us consumers to enjoy on a grander scale than digital achievements ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, eispan71 said:

Replicant 2021 is a bit generous compared to Replicant 2010 as we have the option to skip certain weapons as we have got two extra sets from the DLCs I believe. I skipped two Phoenix weapons (keeping the Spear as it's my fave weapon from the original game) to avoid farming Black Pearls. The DLC weapons are the easiest to upgrade as the materials aren't that hard so it's very possible to skip the weapons that would require the notorious Subdued Bracelets or even the Forlorn Necklaces.

Not to forget the Fool's Weapons, the Yorha Weapons AND Kaine's Blade are EIGHT WEAPONS that make it super easy. You basically have free choice here. I got the trophy not realizing that this time I did not need all trophies and already had almost all crappy items because I did that 10 years ago already and expected the same once again.

Edited by Cetra29
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:00 PM, JoaLoft said:

It started with Drakengard 1 that each weapon has it's own story to it and you'll unlock more of the story as you upgrade the weapon. Yeah, you could just read all of them online now, I guess. 

Neat fact that Devola and Popola's names come from a weapon in Drakengard 1. https://drakengard.fandom.com/wiki/Skald's_Song

• Like 3

There's typically a save point right before most boss fights. I beat each boss once while watching the cutscenes. If I didn't get the timed trophy for a boss I just reloaded and re-did the fight while skipping cutscenes. Not ideal, but it is what it is. Time zone can be manipulated to make the flowers grow faster as well. It could have been a better list, but there are far worse trophy lists than this one. Honestly really enjoying this list. They're not just handing you a plat like most ps4 games do. 

Edited by zultan8212

On 2021-05-13 at 7:37 PM, mana__banana said:

Doesn't really justify the inclusion of the cutscenes time into the boss fights.

Why would they make a cutscene and then create a trophy that require you to skip it?

It's just a poor design choice.

If I’m not mistaken skipping is a choice, but you have better odds of making the time if you skip. This is not poor design choice, they give you this choice in case you are playing the game again and want to skip cutscenes because you’ve already seen the story and just want to play the game. It just so happens that it helps with the speed run trophy. Which is a pain to be fair. Along with the pink moonflower seed sidequest and the upgrading all weapons. Trying to gather materials is annoying. However, it’s just a little annoying, compared to others it’s easy. 15 hours to beat a game you can beat in 8? Pleeaaaase. Uncharted 4 speed run of 6 hours can be done in 4 with cheats but try it without and you’ll be sweating wondering if you’ll make it every single second of the way. Also, have you tried getting the Dark Souls plat? That freaking Trident still haunts me. Took me forever.

Were you hoping to be done with it in one go?

Edited by Wildcat0728
  • Like 1

For me only Forging Master is a pain.. Grinding is a pain in the ass, specially when fighting is lame and collecting shiny balls is.. well it takes time with 2x loading screens. It wouldn't be so bad if you could buy more materials, the drop/collect list is a bit to big for my taste.

I upgraded all 38 to level 4, I enjoyed the item grind, and didn't find any of it too exhausting, save perhaps the bracelets, but that only took about 1 hour, I think.

Gonna be at about 90 hours over two save files when all said and done with all trophies, but no complaints here. More time spent with this game is a positive in my eyes.

• Like 1

On 17/5/2021 at 10:54 AM, Wildcat0728 said:

Also, have you tried getting the Dark Souls plat? That freaking Trident still haunts me. Took me forever.

Was that the one from the library that drops from the mages? It was such a pain... only 2 spawn and if you don't kill them fast enough they teleport away and you have to spin those stupid slow ass stairs to get them -.-

That was way worse than any item in this game. The only thing that comes close are the Eagle Eggs.

15 hours ago, gulox2 said:

I upgraded all 38 to level 4, I enjoyed the item grind, and didn't find any of it too exhausting, save perhaps the bracelets, but that only took about 1 hour, I think.

Gonna be at about 90 hours over two save files when all said and done with all trophies, but no complaints here. More time spent with this game is a positive in my eyes.

You did missed Daredevil trophy, done while doing E ending :P We started playing the game almost at the same minute and we are almost on the same trophywise moment hehe. Grinding + speedrun left for me.

Edited by Czajnikus

• 2 months later...

I love the game, music, the characters.

But these are the most annoying trophies I ever seen.

I hate the fact that they force you to skip cutcenetes to get bosses speedrun trophies.

Every stupid trophy cliche is here: extra speedrun playthrough, awful 20 hours material grinding, trophies based on real time, trophies based on in-game time, "sit on a boar for 5 min" stupid s***, collect not cumulative gold... It's a full package!

Definitely a bad list. PS3 JRPGs loved this kind of crap.

I don’t mind the weapon grind, because at least there are the weapon stories. But trophies like holding 1,000,000 gold at the same time is just stupid, and the speed run here is just ill-conceived.

29 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Definitely a bad list. PS3 JRPGs loved this kind of crap.

I don’t mind the weapon grind, because at least there are the weapon stories. But trophies like holding 1,000,000 gold at the same time is just stupid, and the speed run here is just ill-conceived.

Getting one million is trivial. When you get the fishing trophy, it will be very easy to catch Royal fish at Eastern Road. They sell for 4000 each, in 20 minutes i caught 50. 

Make a save and sell all your materials and when you get the trophy reload.

As for the speedrun, it can be done easily in 7-8 hours, and within  that time i'm counting grinding for money and materials in order to have good weapons and items for bosses.

You can combine it with Ending E (which needs 2-3 hours) to reach and just play the rest on a different save file

EDIT. I just saw you have the money trophy, so ignore my post

Edited by sephiroth4424
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The thing that makes the trophy list annoying is that while nothing is missable as such, if you don't do certain things at certain times you drastically increase your play time. This was less of an issue in Automata as each playthrough was very different, but Replicant is a much smaller world and each playthrough is mostly the same as the last so the game can feel more repetitive.

I missed the Part 1 quests that enable planting in the garden, and missed a purchasable weapon in playthrough C that now means I have to do a second C run and will have to spend more time in my E run growing plants.