Yuber's ArcSys Fighters Challenge (COMPLETE)

Yuber6969

Not sure exactly what ArcSys was thinking with that Highlander Assault mode but it sounds tough regardless. Seems like you already found out a strategy to beat it in an effective manner, but shit, having to do it with all of the characters in the game is still going to be difficult. By your description of it, it looks very similar to those screen-filling bosses from old action platformers. Mega Man X looks like a fair comparison. xD

Best of luck with this difficult mode, Yuber. You've got this. ?

• Like 2

@Honor_Hand Thanks for that Honor! I indeed found a strategy.

---

I have been working on Attack on Highlander all day and have managed to beat the beast with every character except Bullet and Arakune. Highlander Assault was a major learning curve since it doesn't play like a standard BlazBlue fight, but after countless fights with the beast, I ended up memorizing his attack patterns, and ended up completely destroying him with most characters. He mixes it up every now and then, but for the most part, he is very predictable. I'm not out of the woods yet though.

Bullet is a decent character in regular BlazBlue battles IMO, but she is completely useless here. First of all, she can't run. There were many times during the boss' second distortion drive that the debris fell on the other side of the screen and I wasn't even close to being able to reach it in time. The other problem with Bullet is that all of her distortion drives are grabs. The beast can't be thrown/grabbed, so there is no real way to do a good amount of damage with Bullet. I spent about 2 hours trying to beat the beast with Bullet, and got pretty close a few times. Unfortunately for me, it seems to be very luck-based (the placement of the debris). Arakune is apparently the hardest character to use in this mode so I saved him for last.

I came across a series of YouTube videos showing the best moves to use for each character in this mode. In case anyone reading this plays this game at some point, I will post the link to the channel below; just type in the character's name in the search box. The YouTuber uses Technical Makoto. If you would rather use Stylish Makoto, the most efficient way to deal damage that I found was to go into overdrive once the beast's core is exposed, and mash C.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BradRy2/

Edited by yuber1234
  • Like 3

5S6fd5a3.png

Attack on Highlander

[Highlander Assault] Defeated the monster with all characters.

I finally managed to clear Highlander Assault with Bullet and Arakune. Bullet took me a few more tries since the last update. In the attempt where I finally succeeded, the last few moments were very intense. I had a sliver of health left and about half of my barrier gauge. The boss was near-death so I just needed to damage him enough to make him expose his core. Izanami (the mage) went into overdrive and surrounded me with cannons seconds after releasing projectiles. I didn't have enough barrier gauge to survive all of those hits, so I had to take some risks. I did a jumping D, which launches Bullet forward for grappling (which can't be done here), and then I overdrive cancelled the move when I was right in front of one of the cannons. I had a split second to destroy the cannon before it rotated, and I pulled it off. After landing, I back-stepped right behind where the next cannon was going to move to and then destroyed it. Did the exact same maneuver for the third cannon. At this point I had enough barrier gauge to block a decent amount of hits, so I jumped in front of the beast, blocked the projectiles that hadn't hit me yet, and simultaneously blocked the vertical laser move that the beast did next. This filled his heat gauge, so he exposed his core, and I beat him. I really wish PS3s had a recording function as this was one of the most skillful maneuvers I'll pulled off in a game.

It only took me about 5 tries with Arakune. I disagree with the popular opinion that he is the hardest character to use in this mode. If anyone is going to use the YouTube playlist I posted earlier, don't watch the guy's Arakune video (the rest are great though). The best method I found is to use Stylish Arakune, and spam jumping 6B to move toward the beast faster. Once in front of the beast, continue to spam jumping 6B. Interrupt the beast's first distortion with 6A+B, and then spam jumping 6B if he is still charging. When the beast's core is exposed, go into overdrive and spam 6C. When Izanami goes into overdrive and releases the cannons, use the 6A+B distortion while standing directly under the beast's chin. This will damage the beast and take out one or two of the cannons.

This was the hardest and least fun non-combo challenge I've done in an ArcSys fighter so far. I hope I don't see another minigame again in the challenge.

• Like 4

Thanks guys!

@AihaLoveleaf It definitely was brutal; I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I've learned my lesson about saying the plat is in the bag, but I will say the hardest trophy is done. ?

@FreshFromThaDeli I haven't played Subspace Emissary. I would compare it to Mega Man X, but in case you haven't played that, I'll share a video of someone fighting the beast as Bullet; the hardest character to clear this mode with by far. It gets really intense when the boss goes into to overdrive, which happens at 2:10 in the video.

Edited by yuber1234
  • Like 3

6S3a9a24.png

BossSlash

[Unlimited Mars] Defeated 10 foes.

Unlimited Mars is a mode where you fight 10 brutally tough AI opponents in a row. All of the opponents are in their unlimited state. The trophy does not require you to clear this mode; you just need to defeat 10 opponents in total. I got this trophy by beating the first opponent (Noel) over and over. She was quite hard, but she didn't give me too much trouble. The second opponent (Jin) was one that I couldn't beat if my life depended on it, so I had to get all of my wins from Noel. Using Stylish Kokonoe, I intentionally backed myself into a corner and blocked Noel's attacks, then countered with combos that always began with low hits. After all my time with the series, I noticed the AI rarely blocks low. Once I had my heat gauge maxed, I used the Tager distortion drive, going into overdrive first if needed.

40Sb8a859.png

Out of Sight

Used all of Tsubaki's "D" version special attacks in a single combo.

Like with most games in the series, Tsubaki's combo trophy gave me a lot of trouble. I spent about an hour trying to connect the inputs written in the guide on this site with no success. I ended up finding an easier solution posted on GameFAQs by user daemeon67. The combo is 214214D, 421D > 236D > 623D > j.236D > j.214D > 214D > 22D > 236236D.

37S331eb1.png

The Grand Finale

With Carl, knocked the opponent out using Cantabile followed by Fermata

Like with the Tsubaki trophy, this took me about an hour. You have to get your opponent's health low, and then finish him with the Fermata distortion immediately after landing Catabile. You have a small window of time to do this, and you're essentially controlling two characters at once.

I took one attempt at I Think You've Hit the Ceiling, which requires you to clear Score Attack with 200 million points. Using Stylish Kokonoe but being aggressive rather than defensive, I cleared it with 190 million points. The AI opponents aren't nearly as tough in this mode as they were in CT or CS. I should be able to do this on my next attempt. I won't bother making an update for this unless it proves to be troublesome.

I also attempted Hakumanhandled, which requires you to do a 10K damage combo with Hakumen. This trophy exists in every single BlazBlue game except Tag, but I found it to be very difficult here. All of the different combo variations I found online were tough for me to execute. The guide says that an alternative way to get this trophy is to level up Hakumen in Abyss Mode and get it there, and that is the route I've decided to take. I've never mained with Hakumen before, and I hope that won't make Abyss Mode hard for me.

Unless Abyss Mode proves to be a challenge with Hakumen, everything should be easy for me from here on on out. I want to plat this tonight if possible.

• Like 3

Man, wasn't expecting the Hakumen trophy to be difficult. That's just crazy.

I almost thought I was going to catch a break on Carl too since I didn't see the seven seconds airborne requirement. Given the time you had to put in tough it sounds like The Clap would have been easier to go for instead.

Pretty long combo there on Tsubaki too. Shame I can't just reuse what I learned from Continuum Shift. It'll still get done, though.

Hopefully we see that Platinum tonight. ?

• Like 1

4S3ea920.png

I Think You've Hit the Ceiling

[Score Attack] Finished Score Attack with more than 200,000,000 Points.

H9pDDsB.jpeg

I mentioned in the previous update that on my first try, I cleared Score Attack with 190 million points. I must have been having a lucky run, because I tried this mode several times after and scored pathetically. I tried switching to my main from CPE (Ragna) and didn't succeed. I used Stylish Tager as per the guide's instructions and failed miserably. Tager is indeed the easiest to clear this mode with but he is not the easiest to get 200 million points with. Clearing this mode is meaningless if you don't get 200 million points. After several failed attempts, I cleared this with Stylish Kokonoe. I'll share the method I used since I didn't see any guides mentioning how to use her for this mode.

All of the courses have 10 matches, with 2 rounds each. You get awarded 30 million points at the end for clearing this mode, so you only need to reach 170 million when you defeat the last opponent. Don't get cocky though; this is still hard. It's important to note that winning the matches and obtaining high scores on the matches are not the same thing. The goal here is to score high, and Kokonoe is good at exploiting the score system. If you used Kokonoe in the combo challenges and had trouble with her gravity gimmicks, don't be concerned; you will not be using them at all here.

You need to average 17 million points per match to reach the goal of 170 million by the end. The most important thing is to never lose a round. Winning a match without losing a round grants you a "Straight Bonus" of 10 million points. If you ever lose a round, restart. It's highly unlikely you will be able to succeed without getting this in every match. Your main goal here is to finish every battle with Stylish Kokonoe's Tager distortion drive, preferably in overdrive. First of all, it's insanely overpowered. Secondly, if you get it charged enough, you will get a 100+ hit combo which will give you a huge bonus. This strategy works best in Course A, as it has the least amount of opponents that can hit you from long range (more on that later).

You must be super aggressive. Open every battle by dashing toward your opponent and spamming the square combo. Alternate between mid and low attacks. 9 times out 10, the opponent with fail to block one of the hits. Repeat this until you get the opponent into the corner. Once the opponent is in the corner, wait for the opponent's invincibility frame to end before attacking. As soon as you hear the sound cue, begin attacking again. If your opponent is about to die and you don't have 100 heat for the Tager distortion, go into overdrive and use her 6A+B distortion. It won't grant you nearly as many points but you'll still get some for doing an overdrive finish. You need to be extremely close range for this to work, which is the main reason you need to force your opponent into the corner. If you do have 100 heat: do an aerial backdash until you are on the other side of the screen, go into overdrive (if you have it ready), and press 2A+B to use the Tager distortion. You charge this by holding D and rotating the left analog stick. If the opponent is about to hit you, release it early and take whatever points you can get. It is important to note that this distortion can be done in the air; there is no need to wait until you have landed on the ground.

The only time it's acceptable to win without a distortion is if you can win with perfect. If you win one round with perfect, you get a 5 million point bonus. If you can win both rounds with perfect, this becomes a 10 million point bonus and you get a "No Damage" bonus of 10 million. That's in addition to the Straight Bonus for a whopping total of 30 million bonus points. I strongly suggest you get this against Bullet, who is the first and easiest opponent. If you don't get it, restart. You will need the extra points to compensate for the fact that you will likely not be able to get many points against the final two opponents. You should also never skip the victory "screen" after a round. I have experienced a glitch(?) where the points do not get banked if you skip the victory screen.

Here are some things to keep in mind when fighting against specific characters:

Relius: He can interrupt the Tager distortion using Ignis. If you see him release Ignis, release Tager's charge immediately.

Platinum: She has projectiles that can interrupt the Tager distortion. When you begin the distortion, pause the game and look at Platinum's heat gauge. If you see a blue cat, a round cat, or a missile, be prepared to release the charge if you see Platinum getting ready to use one of these. The blue cat is not a projectile, but it does have a long range. I do not know much about Platinum, so if she has other projectiles that I'm not aware of, please let me know.

Makoto: She can quickly close the distance using Asteroid Vision (the move where she runs toward you, leaving an afterimage behind). If she does this, release the charge.

Tsubaki: Do not jump under any circumstances. If you do, she will use her blade uppercut (Benedictus?) and start a combo on you. She also has a projectile, but it's slow and easy to see coming.

Hazama: Extremely dangerous. Do not hold out for a distortion. If you have an opportunity to kill him mid-combo, just do it. Also: if you get a chance to use Tager's distortion, be warned that Hazama can stop it very quickly. If you see him start to release his snake, release the charge. You likely won't score well here, which is why I told you to get the 30 million bonus points in the first battle.

Hakumen: Also dangerous. The trick to beating Hakumen is to be extremely aggressive, even more so than you were previously. If you give the AI enough time to input one of Hakumen's counterattacks, it will. It is crucial that you are fast here. Like with Hazama, you likely won't score well here.

Edited by yuber1234
  • Like 3

Lcd10c6.png

BlazBlue: Chronophantasma (vanilla)

[All DLC Trophies Completed Also]

Difficulty: 8/10

The combo challenge requirement in this game was a joke in terms of difficulty. That's not to say there aren't tough challenges in the game, but you basically don't have to do the tough ones at all. The combo challenge trophy requires you to do 500 of the 780 challenges (the 780 is including DLC). This is not nearly as tough as it sounds as there are more than enough freebie-level challenges, so you don't have to attempt any of the difficult ones. This was not difficult but it was extremely tedious. Usually the combo challenges are the platinum breaker in BlazBlue games but this time, a couple of other trophies serve that purpose.

Highlander Assault is a mode that tasks you with fighting the series' infamous Black Beast. It plays more like a 2D action-platformer than a fighter. If you've ever played a Mega Man X game, it's similar to fighting Sigma as Zero. There is a huge learning curve involved as most prior knowledge of BlazBlue mechanics doesn't apply here. The beast deals a lot of damage and can kill you within seconds if you don't know what you're doing. Once you've learned the beast's patterns, the fight actually becomes pretty easy with most characters. The problem here is that there is a trophy for beating him with all characters. Fighting the beast with Bullet is infuriatingly difficult for two main reasons. The first is that she can't run, so it is very tough to dodge one particular distortion drive that the beast has. The other is that all of Bullet's distortion drives involve grappling; something the beast is immune to. You are stuck fighting a boss that can you can barely deal damage to, and that you will have a hard time dodging. It took me about 3 hours to pull this off with Bullet, and that's after spending most of a day learning the beast's patterns with characters better suited to this mode.

Score Attack was another tough one. This is by far the hardest Score Attack trophy I've done in the series (though not as hard as CF's speedstar). In terms of the AI, it was actually quite a step down in difficulty from other BlazBlue games. What made it harder is that while the other games tasked you with simply clearing the mode, this one wants you to clear it with a certain score. The game is very stingy with how it awards points, so you can't afford to make many mistakes. I could not find any comprehensive guides for this mode so I had to figure out my own strategy, which took several attempts to perfect. Even on the run where I succeeded, I came pretty close to dying against one of the later opponents.

Enjoyment: 7/10

Regarding the story, I'll say pretty much word-for-word what I said in my vanilla CS review. I already saw the entire story in Chronophantasma Extend (and fairly recently too). Because of that, I skipped the entire thing this time around. My favourite part of the BlazBlue games was always the story, so the game was less exciting for me this time around. It's not a criticism of the actual game, but that is the situation and it did have an effect on my enjoyment of the game.

I really enjoyed most of the non-combo challenges this time around. Score Attack and Unlimited Mars were really challenging, and I had a lot of fun trying to take those opponents down. It was a very rewarding experience when I developed my own strategy to conquer Score Attack mode and succeeded. I usually rely on tips from guides or from the elite @Copanele. That wasn't an option for me this time as I found no useful guides and Copanele has not played this game. Beating this mode using a strategy that I developed with no help from anyone was immensely rewarding.

Highlander Assault mode is the reason I enjoyed this game the least in the series. This is not solely due to difficulty. I don't like 2D action-platformers, so I had zero fun with this mode. I've already talked at length about this mode so I have nothing else to add to that.

-----------------

I'll be playing a long non-Arcsys game next (Persona 5 Royal), so there probably won't be an update for a while. I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has shown support. There were a number of trophies that made me feel extremely frustrated, and the encouragement/interest from you guys kept me going. Thanks guys! ?

Edited by yuber1234
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

That language barrier is going to be a pain but good thing you have such a reliable translator around. ?

As for the game, I remember thinking it looked a lot like Super Smash after watching a video here on this very thread. That style might be off from the traditional fighters ArcSys usually makes but it does look a lot of fun to play regardless. Those games are usually easy to pick up but hard to master. At least Smash I remember it being that way, not sure if Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen is the same but it shouldn't be too bad for you to obtain the platinum on it. 

You're doing an excellent job so far at obtaining the platinum on all these games, Yuber. :D

• Like 2

31S5ae7e7.png

Complete all Gold Missions

(not a direct translation)

There were only 8 missions this time and all but one were easy. Mission 4 puts you against 3 very aggressive opponents. Their stats are buffed and they can take over the influence gauge with very few hits. To make matters worse, you have no attendants and your minion cooldown time is far slower than it usually is. The AI is smart and tends to surround you so that you get hit by one opponent while you're attacking the other. I had several runs where I had what seemed to be 99% of the influence gauge in my favour, only to have them completely take it over with a few hits. There were also several times where I died in the first 10 seconds or so of the fight. It took me about 30 attempts to clear this mission. I would compare the difficulty to Unlimited Ragna from Calamity Trigger.

• Like 4

32Sd3d04e.png

Cleared all Difficult Missions

(not a direct translation)

There were 15 missions this time and I needed a lot of retries for a few of them.

Mission 4: I had to claim all of the shima in the stage in 10 seconds. This required very precise timing, but also luck. The amount of time needed to clear this was so limited that any time I got hit by the opponent, I would have to restart. I had one second left on the clock when I succeeded.

Mission 8: I had to do a 200 hit combo. This is not nearly as rough as it sounds because the combo ends with an ultimate, which is where most of the hits come from. Chaining everything together into the ultimate was the hard part. The timing required to chain everything together was very unforgiving. The only known way to do this combo is to unleash all of your minions very quickly in the correct order, dash toward your opponent, input the ultimate, and have your attendants attack while the ultimate is charging to keep the combo from dropping.

Mission 12: I had to win using only my minions and attendants. This was hard because the AI was very aggressive, and I only had 30 seconds IIRC. I had to try to claim most of the shima while spamming my attendants' attack buttons, and they would usually get killed before I claimed enough shima to summon minions.

Unless I encounter an unexpected surprise, I have no more hard trophies to get. I should have the plat in a few hours.

• Like 3

I tried to type in the name 3 times before finally giving up and copy/pasting it in YouTube...

CONGRATS for this one man! I had no idea such a game existed but damn does it have nice graphics. Wished it was translated and re-released so I could try it too (despite the Smashlike gameplay).

Also double congrats for the fastest achiever, that was some Sonic speedrun of the game ?

• Like 2

Congrats on the plat yuber! 

Seems like this game would have done decently enough over here, with all the people begging for a Smash like experience on the PlayStation. I'm sure like all ArcSys games, though, we'd still be looking at a dead online mode today. ? Good thing all of their games have immortal online servers. 

Have fun with the next game. Hopefully it's easier, and in English too. ?

• Like 1

Congrats on the plat, Yuber. Well done. :D

The name of the game might be a mouthful to us over here but the gameplay and visual style of it sure look interesting. There have been some Smash-style fighters out there over the years and they don't always succeed at being fun in the same vein Smash is. This one seems like it's certainly on the good side of that, which is nice to hear. Great work on claiming 5th place as one of the fastest achievers in the game. You may have had to deal with translating the game back and forth but it seems like that didn't slow you down. You should definitely invite that nameless translator friend of yours a beer or something, lol. xD

• Like 4

Thanks everyone!

@Copanele I don't blame you; by the time I learned how to say and write the name, I had finished it lol. Had I known I was going to rank so highly in the fastest achievers, I would have stayed home the whole time to rank higher. xD

@AihaLoveleaf I also think this would have done well here. This was better than every Smash-like game that I played other than Digimon Rumble Arena on the PS1 because... it's Digimon.

@postofficebuddy I would advise against it unless you can read Japanese or you have someone physically there with you who can translate it. You need to deal with the language barrier in this one more than in other fighters because you have to equip specific minions for specific trophies. It's quite a hassle. Besides all of that, the game is fun though. If you get it, feel free to ask me questions about any of the trophies.

@Honor_Hand I forgot to mention the art style in my review but I liked it as well. It reminded me of 13 Sentinels. I'm curious about the anime now. Maybe I'll find out what the deal with this game's evil Yukiko is.

• Like 2

Congrats Yuber! My curiosity was piqued so i had to go and watch some gameplay. I like the art style, it's like a cross between Okami and Bleach. I can see the Smash Bros. pedigree as well in the gameplay. I've spent much longer than I care to admit on all the Smash games over the various iterations and years so I reckon I would get by just fine with this game but the Japanese only text is a turn off for me so I won't be playing this myself. Discovering a new Fighting Game is always nice to see though.

Oh, and big well done for being in the top 5 for fastest achievers. I got to Hand it to your translator, they done a good job. You should Honor your translator next time you speak to them ?

• Like 3

@FreshFromThaDeli Thanks! It definitely was a unique experience and I would be recommending it to people if there was an English version. I loved Smash back on N64 and Gamecube, but I didn't have many opportunities to play any of the other games in the series unfortunately. Now that you mention Okami and Bleach, I can totally see it.

My translator indeed did a great job. :) 

• Like 2