KazaneHime's Trophy Case

KazaneHime

11 minutes ago, postofficebuddy said:

That is an extremely impressive list of JRPGs that require a significant time investment to earn the platinum. Nice to see someone with both Gravity Rush games. Keep it up. Have you considered trying any of the Disgaea games? 

Thank you! I love JRPGs, especially ones with more action style combat.

I've heard of them a lot, but haven't really been interested in playing them. Partly because I bounce off of turn based games most of the time (with P5 and the Trails games being exceptions), partly the style hasn't seemed to be my thing.

• Like 1

L4883fc.png

1L472e3f.png

#54 - Dragon Quest Builders

- Perfectionist

Took me a while because I bounced off of this after completing the sequel's platinum, but once I got going again this platinum came pretty quick. I really enjoy the style of the Dragon Quest Builder Games. Hope we get another!

My Review: Really enjoyed this game. Wouldn't call it the best, but it is a solid experience and a great start to the series. Took me a while to get used to the controls, especially with the menu being on the X button and jump on O, with no way to change it.

The story is pretty basic, not exactly the main draw of the game. However, the gameplay makes up for it. Completing the blueprints given by NPCs was very fun for me, but there are a limited number of those and they can make it difficult to layout your town the way you want.

Platinum Difficulty: 4/10 (The list of required items in the guide for speedruns made this almost trivial)

My Overall Score: B-

Edited by KazaneHime
  • Like 4

Lca7015.png

1L108650.png

#55 - Burly Men at Sea

- Ye've Done It

Got this almost a week ago, but life got crazy so couldn't post about it til now.

My Review: Burly Men at Sea is very stylish, the animation and music are minimalistic and well done overall. Beyond that, I didn't find this game to be all that enjoyable. There is plenty of humor and conversations are adjusted based on if you've been through a section before and what choice you made before there. However, even with that it got to be very repetitive and I found myself skipping through most dialogue while re-doing earlier areas trying to get different endings.

Overall, cute game but wouldn't have spent more than like $5 on it. Glad it was a free game with Plus.

Platinum Difficulty: 1/10 Trivial, just takes 12 runs with most of that retreading old ground.

My Overall Score: C

• Like 1

1L20bc50.png

#56 - Pine

- Chief of Albamare

Got around to playing this cute indie title that I had backed on Kickstarter (PC version). Ended up getting it on PS4 so I could add it to my collection of trophies.

My Review: This is a cute game with plenty of exploration, diplomacy, and crafting. It had some Fable/Horizon feels to me, but as an indie title, it took a while for me to get used to the graphics and movement. Sometimes it feels floaty, and the combat was very janky. Honestly, not much else to say about it. The story was pretty normal, there weren't many characters with personalities beyond the main character (The human, Hue, who is a man boi).

I will note, the devs have an interactive map that makes it easier to mark off what collectibles you have gotten and find those you missed.

Platinum Difficulty: 2/10 (with interactive map)

My Overall Score: B-

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1L576d91.png

#57 - Dark Souls II

- The Dark Soul

Completed the next game in the line of souls-like games I've been playing with my amazing buddy @TalesofGaming. Dark Souls II makes number 5 on the list, and it has become my favorite way to play these games.

My Review: Dark Souls II is my least favorite of the souls-like games that I have played, but still it was a quality game that I kept coming back to daily to play with @TalesofGaming. There were quite a few mechanics that were added from the original and they were either great or simply annoying. The boss fights were the normal souls style of hard but doable, however, none of them were all that memorable.

I enjoyed the torch mechanics in general, the ability to summon people with the small sign even after you beat the boss to the area, and being able to burn a human effigy to lockout invaders when you don't want to be online. However, they also lock you out of co-op with some areas, reduce your max health every time you die, and overall the design and gameplay were lackluster after the other Fromsoft souls games.

Platinum Difficulty: 5/10 (with co-op)

My Overall Score: B

Edited by KazaneHime
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 2:25 PM, totakos1 said:

I think you really going to like Ni No Kuni 2 which I didn’t see in your list and I believe you should try it out and maybe Nioh 2 which I personally consider one of the best soul-likes! You have a very nice list btw!

Thank you for the compliment! I've really enjoyed the majority of the games I've gotten to 100%.

Ni no Kuni 2 is actually on my backlog of games to play! My friend has mentioned that it is a lot like the Tales games in combat so I'm excited to try it!

How hard is Nioh 2? A bit scared to try it based on what I've heard before, and not being able to work through it with some backup on co-op.

14 hours ago, totakos1 said:

You don’t need co-op but the online is there if you want to complete a mission or just have fun, I did everything solo, the rating for difficulty would be 4-5/10 for platinum 6/10 100% 

That doesn't sound too bad at all. I'll keep it on my radar, thank you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1L2c42dc.png

#58 - Scarlet Nexus

- Woven Red Threads

My Review:

This game was very enjoyable overall. They did a great job on the two different narratives for most of the story, but they converge for the ending and I found myself skipping cutscenes for my second playthrough at those parts. 

The story overall was very enjoyable, with some typical tropes of miscommunication and the power of friendship. Overall it was about exposing the wrongdoings of various entities and finding solutions for world-ending problems.

The combat and characters were the best part of the whole game. Each character is unique, and while they fall into cliche roles, I found myself caring for them all (except Shiden). Combat is very smooth, and the difficulty jump about halfway through the game forces you to learn the system if you want to survive certain boss fights.

It feels like the game was designed for you to play the first time through as Yuito, and second as Kasane. I only really found that for the difficulty spike on Kasane's route, which I did first, and there were more mysteries about the other side when you were going through Yuito's story. Many times the 'why are they fighting us' was only a question from Yuito's perspective, and Kasane's route acts as if you most likely know the mysteries from Yuito's route.

Platinum Difficulty: 3/10 (One or two that can be tricky, but nothing is all that missable)

My Overall Score: B+

Edited by KazaneHime
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

Also going to check in on this, was curious about Scarlet Nexus. Glad to hear that the combat is fun and challenging in it. 

Absolutely, the combat reminded me of Nier: Automata's combat with the addition of psychokinesis.

• 1 month later...

L058ab1.png

1L5a9056.png

#59 - SAO Re: Hollow Fragment

- Obtain all trophies

My Review:

I decided to go back and finish this just to fix up my completion percentage. It was a real slog to get through the trophies. There are many parts I took issue with, especially how the character interactions were written. Most of the time, every floor had some version of "Oh no, some perverted thing happened and it was all an accident!" Rinse and repeat for almost every single event.
It seems to have taken the worst parts of the anime and turned it up to 11. Would not recommend it if you haven't started it, but it is doable and there are some things you can do to make it less painful.

Platinum Difficulty: 6/10 - long more than hard

My Overall Score: D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I missed quite a few so I'm gonna fire them off without reviews to catch up. Let me know anyone who is actually reading this if you want me to go more in-depth and I can revisit them for reviews.

L95c718.png

1Lfc0401.png

#60 - Oninaki

- Cycle Everlasting

Platinum Difficulty: 5/10 - the post-game boss was a struggle even on Easy and max level. Not to mention the post-game dungeon grind.

L880d01.png

1L7c9071.png

#61 - Borderlands 2

- Borderland Defender Round Two

Platinum Difficulty: 5/10 - Terramorphus is the hardest part of this plat.

My Overall Score: B+

Le71c77.png

1L6a7bf8.png

#62 - Maneater

- Platinum

Platinum Difficulty: 3/10 - only struggled with some of the hunters.

My Overall Score: C+

Edited by KazaneHime
Images didn't work
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Time to play catchup again, I keep being too busy to get to writing these up.

Lbe4ea3.png

1L0bdde5.png

#63 - Fe

- Sustain Forest Love

Review:
Fe is a cute indie game about using and learning songs from various wildlife to protect the forest from 'Strangers'. I can definitely see the parallels to the Strangers being humans and how they exploit everything in the forest for their own uses. But, enough of depressing topics.

The game is very hands-off after a few tutorial messages and I did find myself confused about where I needed to go, or how to get there a few times, especially in the beginning. Beyond that, the game forces you to go through certain areas with stealth and any mistake means that you have to restart that part. Singing high for a little bit can summon a guiding bird, but that doesn't help much when singing attracts nearby Strangers or Bears, depending on where you are.

The story overall was pretty simple, just going through saving various animal species and learning their unique songs so you can use different platforming mechanics. Those mechanics were one of my main issues with the game. I wish you could have more guidance before the 'scanner' ability to find collectibles, and also that the guiding wasn't so finicky. Multiple times I ended up having to backtrack through half a level just because I missed one jump.

Still, would recommend it if you're looking for another indie game. I love doing these between my main RPGs as a palate cleanser.

Platinum Difficulty: 3/10

My Overall Score: C+

• Like 1

L03be5d.png

1L165189.png

#64 - Tales of Arise

- Arisen

Review:

Man, I waited five years for this game and it was worth it.

First, I'm going to go over my complaints about the game. My biggest complaint is that the second "half" of the story seemed way too rushed. The plot twists weren't all that surprising and also made little sense from what we had learned. There were a lot of logical leaps to get to them, but they were a bit cliche for JRPGs. I know a lot of my feelings around that probably comes from the fact that I have read a lot more stories recently that had extremely good plot twists, so my perspective has been skewed by that. Beyond the story, I was disappointed that the platinum was so easy to get. I had been planning on just focusing a month or so on playing this game and getting 100% on everything, but that wasn't required. This isn't a bad thing per se, but I wish I could've had more to aim for.

With those complaints out of the way, this was an absolutely fantastic game! I loved every one of the characters and was invested in each of their plights. Alphen and Shionne both are their own people but also have a great relationship that builds up over the game. The campfires were enjoyable, even if there weren't as many skits at them as I had expected (something like Zesty was my expectation). The battle system was amazing. They've moved once more to be more of an action game, building off of Berseria's Action Point system by trying out the Cure Points. CP is iffy but I didn't find it too difficult. It made me pace myself in dungeons and when it started to get low, I would look for a teleport or use items to refill it.

This is definitely a great jumping-on point for anyone that hasn't gotten into the series before or has bounced off it in the past. Would absolutely recommend it if you're even remotely thinking about playing it.

My Overall Score: A-

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, totakos1 said:

It’s kinda weird but I read another review for Arise from another person and pretty much had same complaints, guess you guys are for long time Tales fans that know better! Great review! After Kena my first Tales games is coming!

TalesofGaming and I were having a debrief about it! I saw your comment on her trophy collection. She and I are best friends IRL and have a lot of the same game choices.

I hope you enjoy both games! I'm gonna be starting Kena tonight and probably streaming to get TalesofGaming a taste of the game.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ld4d82c.png

1L1b4310.png

#65 - Overcooked! All You Can Eat

- Legendary Chef

Review:

Not much to add on this one. The game is chaotic fun!! If you've never played it, I would highly recommend it. This version of the game comes with more accessibility features, and the trophies are really easy to get as long as you can get 4 people together for specific trophies.

• Like 3