Trophies, drugs and dopamine - serious topic

rockstarjazz

@rockstarjazz

I gotta say its good to see someone open up this discussion in a sensible way. Especially at the risk of ridicule and coming off as self pitying, but honestly that was a well thought out post. The fact is from what i see loads of people feel this way. I don't think I was ever as addicted to getting platinums or anything. I did nose dive into gaming during my fathers battle with cancer x2 and death (in fact his death was when i showed up on here and started that whole we play thing), but a quick look at my trophy profile you can see the change in my play style. I broke out of the habit due to multiple factors firstly i started playing more MP games with people who sucked the fact i had a choice between them or getting plats i chose my friends, this also completely killed my competitive tendencies. I also started running the biggest guild on PS4 EU Tera for the last 3 years upholding the philosophy of likable players over elitists i don't really play i just try to encourage positive traits in guildies. But mostly that turned gaming into a social thing, same with stuff like fortnite i just mess around.

More importantly though this doesn't sound OCD to me necessarily unless you have other tendencies and obsessions that pull on through. This could just be a strong sign of depression. Its likely you don't feel like you have accomplished anything in life, you mentioned being single, no friends, dead end job I mean yeah thats not success by a lot of peoples definitions, but who's to say what is or who is fulfilled. Are you doing trophies for that sense of achievement and now obsessions are taking over as you are deciding that you are failing at that too? I would take a long hard think about that. Your fix to this situation will depend on what is driving you to do it.

What the above guy said about guest account is a bandaid solution and helpful in the short run, but you need to get to the bottom of this or stuff will get overwhelming.

Most importantly though I find it hard to believe that someone who types like you do can't hold a conversation. So just juump on games get a headset and join in chat when you feel comfortable.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

i gave it another go and the game just made me so angry again i can feel the heat inside my head.

tried vergil yesterday on LDK - hes fucking useless.

tried vergil today on SOS - couldnt get past the agnus fight. fkn hopeless he is.

might have to just do HOH with vergil and get his trophy.

then i need to find a way to cheese it the best way to s rank all missions which seems impossible. i might have to resort to using the women for that, because vergil is absolute FUCKING DOGSHIT, and nero and dante it takes ages to get their rank to sss.

i fucking hate the devs who made this stupid game and not even tested it.

i've grown to hate this game now all because of the fkn trophies. i feel i can do it but the game knocks me back and just now i rage quit again and nearly broke my trusted controller i've had for nearly 6 years. the frosts piss me off and dont get me started on the blitz the only way to beat them is using holy waters nothing else works.

i was literally on my chair bouncing up and down saying no no no like a child thank god my parents arent in. i'm working from home

Vergil is the worst character to do these missions  in this game, he has a concentration  meter that requires great abilities to mantain, and also, he kills enemies too fast for you to get  a good deal of stylish points, in my opinion, you’ll find a more enjoyable time with Lady, since you can charge your shot (shotgun and handgun, don’t bother with Katrina, also Trish has the Stinger and can throw her sword+jump kick enemies, think of her as DMC 1 Dante)  and kill opponents from a distance. You also gets ton of stylish points easily with her attacks.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/938686-devil-may-cry-4/41519092

Here you can find a complete guide about what you require in order to S Rank everything, which brings me to my point, LDK mode has tons of enemies, you don’t have to fight them all, just get the required stylish and red orbs (only those found in breakable counts, beware) and then escape, enemies are very forgivable when you don’t approach them, or to be more precise, slow.

Leave bloody palace for last, you’ll need max health and all abilities, unless you cheese it easily with super Dante/Vergil.

Ultimately,  if you want to continue, or not, is up to you, don’t let the game get “personal”,  by that I mean, you managed to plat GTA 4,  so you most definitely can plat this, it’s just that right now, due to a combination of events in your life, you’ve hit rock bottom mentally, and that brings your overreactions when confronted by a step back in this game,  you’ll eventually get better, and when you do, you can start playing games on a guest account and then synch, to avoid your completionist compulsion. 

Edit: almost forgot, there’s a camera trick in DMC 4,  it’s usually used for the Be, but you can also use it in story mode, basically, the enemies need to be in your line of sight to attack you, only exceptions being when they are already charging an attack, so you can manipulate the camera to your advantage.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

I have OCD and suffer from heavy depression, so believe me I know what you feel, what I did early on and worked for me:

1. you don't need to 100%/Platinum everything, set lower standards, only A/S ranks, it's ok to have a non plat/100% A rank

2. separate your games into two categories, games you actually want to play and games you want to play for trophies, first category, run it blind not caring about trophies, just enjoy it, then from the 2nd run go for trophies

for the 2nd topic of your comment, one word, diversity, there are more types of media that are 100% stress free, seriously, start watching anime, if you're not already, it will change your life, there are hundreds of must see shows for any kinds of tastes, or TV Shows, go to the classics, pick a show with 4+ seasons and just deep dive into that world, let yourself be consumed by it and by the time you're done with it, you will come out as a little bit different man than before, you will learn new things, 

The best thing you can do for yourself is too just stop trophy hunting entirely.

Some ppl can’t control their ocd and some can not.

Trust me if you stop you’ll feel much better, maybe you’ll go tru a manic withdraw but in the end you’ll 100% feel better.

• Like 1

I think there are certain mentalities that are completely toxic when it comes to all things.

There is nothing inherently wrong with trophies or achievements but if you approach them with a toxic or damaging mentality then they can cause grief.

A good example would be the all or nothing mentality. As in , I can't play a game if I can't 100% it etc.

Tldr; trophies don't need to change, you do.

It sounds like your OCD is literally taking over your life, especially on the fact you are obsessing about it every day and you are trying to think logically, but you can't. I can personally relate to this, as I have been feeling like this for a while, more recently I have become so obsessed with trophy hunting, I have ignored the real root of my problems. I am going to throw a bone and open up what's happened to me recently, as I fear you are currently going down the same root. I would first say ring your doctor and as your in the UK ring the crisis team on 0800 1690398 , they can offer you emotional support and get you some help. 

The first thing is stop playing, do something else you might enjoy, getting the platinum is Not important and shouldn't be that important to you, that it has now become unhealthy. I recently did my Tales of xilla 2, where I obsessed over it, to the point I didn't go to bed until 5am in the morning. I said I was going to get the platinum, so I could play other games. I am going to be taking a break once I have hit 50. I plan on doing astro playroom and spidey, originally I had other games in mind. But because my mental health has took a turn for a worse, I am now in that position I have no choice but to take a break. My suicidal thoughts has recently come back and has got very dark, today I rang the GP and I will be re referred to the 2gether trust. Part of this reason is due to me playing on games and i have ignored what has been going on, I don't eat to well, and I have been feeling a total burn out, I am not enjoying my games anymore.

It sounds like you are going through the same type of ordeal, you are ignoring your problems, but at least you have reached out to someone on this forum, that's a big step and very good to do. I love the DMC series, have loved it since I was a kid, but maybe you need to not get the platinum, to make you think differently. I had to do that for a few games, as I play for fun and to test my skill, if i get the platinum, it's a bonus. I don't know if any of this makes sense or is helping, I am kind of struggling at the moment to give the best advise to help, as well as keep certain thoughts at bay. I will strongly advise to stop playing and play for fun, don't trophy hunt for a while, make some friends and contact someone you know that can help and do something else as a hobby, from my personal experience, your not just feeling burnt out, your trophy hunting is become to obsessed, soon or later it will take you to a dark place, that you don't want to go. Hope this help in some way, I'm sorry if it wasn't But I hope it puts it  into perspective you got a problem, and you need urgent help.

It just sounds like the TC here is tossing out our comments while claiming he has seeked professional help for many years.

If you’re listening to this TC, I’d advise you to quit gaming entirely and seek professional medical guidance. It’s not good to exhibit the behaviors you’ve been expressing in your posts, especially someone of older age like yourself.

Seek help whenever you can, because all we can do here is offer suggestions. We can’t guide you, only you can do that and it’s up to you to decide what you need to do.

• Like 1

I'm not going into the talk of everyone else here as they're doing it and it may not be what you need to hear.

Instead I'll say this. I looked at your list and it has many duplicates of games that require a significant time investment so to begin with you should cut adding such duplicates out. Why redo a game you've done for another 30-50 hours when you could instead be playing something different and in the same timeframe/less get another platinum? Additionally you don't have to 100% a game all in one go. Take game that require second playthroughs of some size to platinum. You can come back to them in the future and you can also play them in small segments (30min-1hour a day, every other day, whatever), though that doesn't work with all games as the likes of DMC for example requires you to have the controls and the gameplay fresh in your mind and muscle memory... but it works for most.

Also congratulations on the DMC4 platinum. Tough one that... I can't judge properly as I've not gone for it's platinum (have played it though) but it would appear to me to be the toughest of the DMCs. 

9 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Also congratulations on the DMC4 platinum. Tough one that... I can't judge properly as I've not gone for it's platinum (have played it though) but it would appear to me to be the toughest of the DMCs. 

thanks for that. it was definitely hard work.

i should say, since making the first post, time has past. i feel abit better now. having completed my most recent plat, its time to take a break from gaming. both my mind and body are telling me to step away from it now. time to rest my fingers. the urge to game has suddenly gone. its like a weight has been lifted since that plat popped. from this recent experience trying to plat a very hard game, i have also learnt that maybe in future, to just plat easier games, and casually enjoy others. theres more to life than trophies. i have even started selling some games i'm done with up on ebay now. time for a proper good detox.

i have other things in life to attend to now, such as planning my holiday and preparing for my driving test. with the sun out its also a good time to enjoy parks and walk.

time to enjoy life!

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

thanks for that. it was definitely hard work.

i should say, since making the first post, time has past. i feel abit better now. having completed my most recent plat, its time to take a break from gaming. both my mind and body are telling me to step away from it now. time to rest my fingers. the urge to game has suddenly gone. its like a weight has been lifted since that plat popped. from this recent experience trying to plat a very hard game, i have also learnt that maybe in future, to just plat easier games, and casually enjoy others. theres more to life than trophies. i have even started selling some games i'm done with up on ebay now. time for a proper good detox.

i have other things in life to attend to now, such as planning my holiday and preparing for my driving test. with the sun out its also a good time to enjoy parks and walk.

time to enjoy life!

I'm glad you're doing better now and your future plans there sound good. 

12 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

time to enjoy life!

That's good to hear, man.  From your earlier posts, it sounded like trophies and gaming were really taking a severe toll on your well-being.  That kind of thing isn't good for anyone.

If you've lost the need to play games for a while, just box up your console(s) and games and put them in your attic or something.  Out of sight, out of mind, as they say.  You can always come back to them in a few months or so, if you feel so inclined, and ease back into gaming with a couple of simple games that don't require much skill to finish.  No one will judge you for doing so.

Your driving test is a good thing - you'll need to study for it, which means you can't devote all your time to gaming.  And if you pass, then you'll have a new sense of independence and freedom that you've never had before.

Getting out for walks in the sun is also a major plus - you'll be outside in the fresh air, getting exercise and enjoying yourself, and not getting worked up over a difficult game.  I live in the country and am lucky enough to have numerous hiking trails, hills and country parks within a couple of miles from home, so I always try to fit in a decent walk on my days off work.  If you do the same, then your mental well-being will definitely improve.

Good luck!

I have other hobbies and interests, so trophy hunting has never been impactful on my mental well being. 

I know when to switch off the need to hunt down trophies, but I can empathise that it's harder for other people who may have mental health issues.