Great platform games?

tonkie18

I was wondering if you had any recommendations for platformers you have found enjoyable? I tend to buy whatever is on offer each week from Ratalaika, eastasiasoft etc. But the tend to be really fast platinums and they’re over very quickly! I ended up making accounts in different regions so I could play them again and earn trophies but the ones I like are over so quickly! I’m playing Guns, Gore and Cannoli 2 at the minute and I really like it.. and you have to work a bit harder for the trophies. Are there any others I can put on my wishlist? I do tend to like run&gun games but I like arcade shooters as well. Any you can think of let me know ☺️

Yooka-Laylee is currently on sale.

I've heard mixed things but considering both games are on sale in a bundle for a £11 I'm going to finally give them a go. I've had a look at recent reviews and it gives me old school 3D platformer vibes. Looks cool.

I actually bought this not too long back. I played it for a while but then got stuck ? my attention span is rubbish I’m a flitter. Will complete it at some point. It’s a bit of a collectathon which I’m also a fan of. Reminds me a bit of Spyro

@DrBloodmoney

thanks as always for your thorough recommendations ☺️ I’ve bought the Trine trilogy as it’s on offer and put the others in my wishlist. I’m guessing with Guacamelee for the Vita we will never get an offer on it? 

@coldhardcrash_

this looks completely up my street! I think the years growing up with a gameboy these types of games will always be close to my heart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

@DrBloodmoney

thanks as always for your thorough recommendations 263a.png I’ve bought the Trine trilogy as it’s on offer and put the others in my wishlist. I’m guessing with Guacamelee for the Vita we will never get an offer on it? 

Yeah, probably not gonna see a sale on the Vita version, but both games do exist on the big-boy consoles, so worth a punt if they appear in a sale - the visuals on those games are more than good enough to look great on a big screen too 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

8 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

this looks completely up my street! I think the years growing up with a gameboy these types of games will always be close to my heart.

Awesome, reckon you'd like The Messenger in that case too. One of my favourite 2D Platformers/Metroidvanias of all time along with Guacamelee. 

Another fun and easy one is Whipseey and the Lost Atlas (although it is very short) and the no-hit trophies will take some practice. 

Celeste is also amazing but is insanely difficult if you play it legitimately without the in-game assist mode. 

Edited by coldhardcrash_

@DrBloodmoney

I think it’s time to take the plunge then, as I’ve seen it recommended a few times now. I think I’ll get it for the vita I’m struggling for content with that

@coldhardcrash_

somehow I’ve got whipseey and I’ve not tried it ? I’m downloading it now. I’ve put the messenger on my wishlist and I’ve bought Celeste as it’s on offer ☺️ Looking forward to playing them! What is the in game assist mode?

@ConAir 

ive put them all on my wishlist, the Shantae games look awesome. I’ll check sireatsalot out when I’m next on the vita ?? Thanks dude

• Like 2

A 2D-platformer I always recommend is N++, although it is somewhat different to other games mentioned above.
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3723-n

You can always see the whole level at the same time and need to navigate through all the stationary and moving enemies/threats, while collecting coins, which extend your timer.
The later levels are quite tricky, but all the more rewarding once completed. The controls are very fluid and over time, you'll learn about the momentum and what jumps you can manage to pull off.

Regular price is about 20 bucks, but it has been on sale for 5 quite a few times. With its thousands of levels, it offers dozens of hours of fun&frustration

53 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

somehow I’ve got whipseey and I’ve not tried it ? I’m downloading it now. I’ve put the messenger on my wishlist and I’ve bought Celeste as it’s on offer 263a.png Looking forward to playing them! What is the in game assist mode?

Whipseey is fun, even if it's like a "we have Kirby at home" sort of deal. Guarantee you'll love The Messenger.

The assist mode in Celeste gives you the option of applying in-game cheats such as infinite dashes, stamina and invincibility, which takes away the real fun and purpose of the game; being a great platformer. Platted it just yesterday without assist mode, and all I can say it is by far the toughest and most creative platformer I have ever played. High Plat% is because Assist mode doesn't disable trophies for whatever reason. 

Ah platformers... Always great fun :)

From the games recommended above, I second the Guacamelee games and Dead Cells! Those are great fun.

Personally two of the best platformers I have played are:

The End is Nigh

A platformer by the creator of Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac. Puts a larger emphasis on precision instead of speed, with unique and fun gameplay mechanics, and a pretty depressing atmosphere.

Splasher

Pretty much the opposite... The game is focused around speedrunning, but also comes with unique mechanics. You have to navigate platforming levels and have three different types of ink to work with (sticky, bouncing, water) for all kinds of situations.

I don't think you'd get the platinum of either game (no offense.. rather a warning) but they are both incredibly well made and a lot of fun :)

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

Lff7430.png

If you like run & gun, you absolutely can't go wrong with Contra. It's currently 75% off too.

L44c87e.png

This recommendation isn't exactly what you asked for, but Velocity 2X does have a lot of platforming sections throughout, and it's just an amazing (and underrated) game. The soundtrack is really great too. My personal 2014 GOTY.

Edited by EverythingOnFire

To re-iterate what some others have suggested...

If you like Metroidvanias: Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee 1 & 2

If you like old school Mega Man: Shovel Knight

If you like pure platformers (ie. no combat really, just tough platforming challenges): Celeste, Super Meat Boy, The End Is Nigh

Many good games mentioned above but I always recommend Klaus if someone is asking for Platformers. It’s a precision platformer like SMB with some puzzle elements in it.

It only has 1200 game owners so I consider it a hidden gem. I really enjoyed it.

It also has a demo you could download and see if it’s something you like.

Guys these are all great, I’ve added them all to my wishlist or bought if they’re currently on offer. It’s like I’m stocking up for the apocalypse. 

@Dreakon13 I never knew what the name was for those types of games. It would I appear I love metroidvanias! I’m gonna have to learn all the gaming terminology ? Thankyou!

• Like 1