Prestiging trophies: yes or no?

I thought about this idea a long time ago, it would be cool, and would add replay value to games.

I would be for the idea, but trophies should not count a double, nor points or anything, it would just be a simple pop on the screen when replaying the game. Why not also add a small line on each trophy such as "achieved X times", it would be particularly a good idea for hard trophies or trophies which unlock when winning an online game (you would see how many games one has won).

Edited by bosstristan
  • Like 4

I actually like this, because it would get people to just mash a specific super short trophy list to the point of absurdity. Rather than having to buy new games for super short plats. Their stats would be so boosted that it would be a joke. Which would make more legit profiles look better by comparison. Right now, someone who just plays super short and easy plats can have the same level and number of plats as someone who almost exclusively gets UR. So at a glance, the profiles look the same. If people could just mash a trophy list, they'd so far surpass everyone else, it would be easy to make the distinction. 

Also, there's a lot of games I would like to replat. This would make it easier, since you wouldn't have to have an alt account for each time you want to replat the same game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I like the concept, but not the implementation.

The prestige trophies should not add to the total number of trophies or trophy level. Basically, no impact on the existing system at all. Instead, I think they should add a symbol next to the trophy to show how many times it has been achieved. As a reward, you could unlock alternative art for the trophy.

Also, you could just look into regional variations of your favorite games. Many have multiple lists on different systems and regions.

Yes, I like this a lot more. It would be cool to get certain badges too. I wish the PS profile had more interesting stuff on it, after so many years it could do with an update. ?

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Yes, I like this a lot more. It would be cool to get certain badges too. I wish the PS profile had more interesting stuff on it, after so many years it could do with an update. 1f44d.png

In this case, how would PSNProfiles know you platted a game a second time.  I wouldn’t think there would be anything to pull from your PSN ID indicating such.

20 minutes ago, bosstristan said:

I thought about this idea a long time ago, it would be cool, and would add replay value to games.

I would be for the idea, but trophies should not count a double, nor points or anything, it would just be a simple pop on the screen when replaying the game. Why not also add a small line on each trophy such as "achieved X times", it would be particularly a good idea for hard trophies or trophies which unlock when winning an online game (you would see how many games one has won).

Year 2000 me would've had this with Castlevania: SotN and Metal Gear Solid ? Heck even recently with Outland if I didn't have to hand over my old account to my brother.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PhantomWarcry said:

Pros:

I’d much rather replay my favorite games than slog through a bunch of other games I don’t enjoy as much. Obviously I could just replay without thinking about trophies but it does nonetheless feel like a waste of time now that I’ve been conditioned to expect tokens for my efforts 

And the system you are proposing would further strengthen that conditioning. That is not something I want to see. Trophy Hunting is fun and all, but if you want to replay your favorite games, having fun doing so should be more than enough reason. 

Don't get me wrong, I often feel the same (there are only a handful of games I have played past 100% recently), but I definitely don't want to be rewarded for playing a game a second time. That would, imo, satisfy an 'unwanted urge'.

I would say 'make it optional', but.. we all know nothing is gonna be implemented. 

Edited by Arcesius

16 minutes ago, djb5f said:

In this case, how would PSNProfiles know you platted a game a second time.  I wouldn’t think there would be anything to pull from your PSN ID indicating such.

If it’s an impossible task to make it sync then people could mark their games how many times they completed it.

It’s kind of the same like keeping a list for yourself (and for bragging ?). But it would have no points, it wouldn’t get anyone higher up in the ranks.

Couldn’t one just create a second account, called, say DrBloodmoneyPrestige,

make the main one primary (thus making all the games available to the second one),

and earn the trophies again on that account and pretty much be doing the same thing?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Also, there's a lot of games I would like to replat. This would make it easier, since you wouldn't have to have an alt account for each time you want to replat the same game.

I’m actually surprised I never thought of that 

I might just make an account where I only plat games I really loved, and my main will just be for trying out new stuff. I don’t care so much about numbers, I just kind of dislike the idea of being done with a game which is entirely in my mind, but I think the trophy system could be revamped to allow you to show more love to a game you liked. In a way I kind of appreciate the impossible plats like Mortal Kombat 9 and Street Fighter 4 as I personally will never be able to fully complete them, so they’ll always be in my library.

41 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

And the system you are proposing would further strengthen that conditioning. That is not something I want to see. Trophy Hunting is fun and all, but if you want to replay your favorite games, having fun doing so should be more than enough reason. 

Don't get me wrong, I often feel the same (there are only a handful of games I have played past 100% recently), but I definitely don't want to be rewarded for playing a game a second time. That would, imo, satisfy an 'unwanted urge'.

I would say 'make it optional', but.. we all know nothing is gonna be implemented. 

I know it’s irrational, I was trying to be a little tongue in cheek there, but I am recognizing that trophy hunting is kind of negatively affecting how I enjoy games. I would say it started for me with PS4 requiring Plus and giving out easy plat games constantly, there’s way too many games from there I’ve platted that I would have never paid for. I just like the idea because it would both devalue the entire leveling and platinum count system, neither of which I really play for, and allow me to double down on games I really liked. There actually wouldn’t be that many I’d make the effort for but I think it would be fun.

6 minutes ago, PhantomWarcry said:

I know it’s irrational, I was trying to be a little tongue in cheek there, but I am recognizing that trophy hunting is kind of negatively affecting how I enjoy games. I would say it started for me with PS4 requiring Plus and giving out easy plat games constantly, there’s way too many games from there I’ve platted that I would have never paid for. I just like the idea because it would both devalue the entire leveling and platinum count system, neither of which I really play for, and allow me to double down on games I really liked. There actually wouldn’t be that many I’d make the effort for but I think it would be fun.

For now, so many games are multi-platform between PS3, PS4, and PS5, you could always do it that way.  Not to mention Vita.  Many are multi-region too adding a whole set of stacking options if you are in to re-platting.

Everyone's lists would be full of visual novels, but personally I would like to replat a few games like the PS3 Tales games, i found them really fun. I wish they got remasters with seperate trophy lists too like Vesperia did, would love a Graces F definitive edition and also the FF13 trilogy 

I dig the "Platinum Prestige" idea.  I'd do it like Tier's.  For example.  A large AAA Game such as Dragon Age Inquisition, or God of War can be Prestiged say 5X.  But a smaller Trophy games Ratalaika can only be done once, to actually dissuade other people's comments about doing easy games several times. Mid Tier AA games like "Concrete Genie" can be Prestiged twice.  

I'd love the idea to get rid of the missing timestamps on my profile. It would also be a golden feature for trophy speedrunners to keep attempting their runs on their main profile.

The one issue I don't think there would be a workaround for is games that use the save file to autopop trophies. Games that you couldn't normally autopop with your own save file would suddenly become fair game.

I actually like the idea. Sometimes the trophy journey itself is as fun as playing the game. Some games are made even better by playing through them with trophy collecting in mind. I would love to plat games like the Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, Underworld trilogy again, for example. It's a shame that once you have platted a game, you'll never have that opportunity again - on your own account at least.