Gems Of War - Selling Trophies Now For $24.99

The-Captain-388

On 5/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, GunfighterHefty said:

I also think it's a pretty terrible practice but really, epic vault keys aren't that bad to get. My guild is almost all trophy hunters and only a few members who haven't really tried too hard for it don't have it. 

Yeah, if you play a lot you’ll eventually get it. I got one on phone a while ago and I never really play on phone but on PS4 I’ve grinded insane amounts on multiple gnome weekends and still haven’t gotten one.

EDIT: Aaaand I finally pulled one this gnome weekend:

oNRrFnR.jpg

Proof the drop tables are trash below. This was playing on the hardest difficulty:

OGyUZFQ.jpg

Edited by The-Captain-388
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 5:40 PM, The-Captain-388 said:

Yeah, if you play a lot you’ll eventually get it. I got one on phone a while ago and I never really play on phone but on PS4 I’ve grinded insane amounts on multiple gnome weekends and still haven’t gotten one.

EDIT: Aaaand I finally pulled one this gnome weekend:

oNRrFnR.jpg

Proof the drop tables are trash below. This was playing on the hardest difficulty:

OGyUZFQ.jpg

Ugh, and on that note I think I just marked this game off of my “to be played eventually” list. Don’t see my mind changing unless the constant grindy trophy updates cease and the game gets rebalanced. 

I know this is a FTP game, but devs selling a solution to a problem they created always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

I enjoy match 3 games, but the guild system in this game (I don’t like feeling pressured to play a game every day or even once a week-if guilds were only necessary for the endgame, that’d be one thing, but it seems as if joining a guild is highly advantageous from the start) combined with this recent development and the seemingly endless trophy updates makes me want to seek out paid alternatives.

For FTP titles, Frozen Free Fall is grindy enough, there is an end to it, and if I don’t feel like playing I can just log in for my bonus and then close the game without worrying about guilds. 

A sincere good luck to all going for the 100% on this game though! 

• Like 2

The beginning of this was when they added campaigns. It wasn't pay for trophy but began to become pay to advance in the long run because if you don't pony up the $9.99 each campaign you are at a mythic troop+mythic leveled troop+weapon+mythic leveled pet for a kingdom compared to someone who didn't. To top it off they add forge recipes that require some of the things you get from the $9.99 pass.

The stupid war coins that they give to new players for free while making active players pay for them via the $9.99 min purchase price for essentially no benefit at all (I know you can get them in offers but I've only encountered one war coin offer since they released war coins and that was locked behind the VIP level 6 wall and they have only had one day's adventure board challenge since war coin release) and now allowing you to buy epic vault keys is just a naturally progression.

I've enjoyed playing the game over the years but the last few updates do seem like 100% cash grabs with pretty much no real benefit to the game. War Coins are useless except for new players but don't really help that much I would image and epic vault keys more times than not seem to give worse rewards than a regular vault key so what's the point? 

Edited by Nutrageous69
  • Like 2

This is not "selling trophies".  This is not even close.  You can get these trophies without paying a dime through normal play; it may take you a fair amount of time and effort, but lots of trophies do for lots of games.

If you want an example of "selling trophies", try Disgaea D2.  Six full DLC packs of trophies that can only be obtained through purchasing the characters in question as paid DLC.  You don't want to pay the developer, you can't get the trophies.

And if you don't like what you view as monetization and other changes in Gems of War, stop playing it.  Because that's the only way the developers are likely to receive that message.  If you keep playing, and you pursue these particular trophies, there isn't much of an alternate interpretation for the developers to take unless you believe they're going to scour the internet for every piddling message board to see who is bitching today.

Moreover, if you do play this game, you ought to be grateful for monetization like this that suckers in certain people.  Because that's what is paying to keep the servers going and the development of new content, especially for those of us who have been playing the game for free for a long time but haven't forked over any cash.  This isn't a typical console game where you pay a chunk of money up front and get a largely completed product; this is akin to a mobile/gacha game that's only likely to last as long as sufficient monetary support from its' player base.  You don't have to fork over anything to play this game, you don't have to wait for the typical mobile/gacha mechanics of "energy refill" that gates how much you can play the game in any particular period of time, you don't have FOMO-driven purchases of things that are time-limited that have any impact on gameplay, et cetera.

There's a special place in Hell for people who get stuff for free and bitch about it being inadequate.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, acasser said:

This is not "selling trophies".  This is not even close.  You can get these trophies without paying a dime through normal play; it may take you a fair amount of time and effort, but lots of trophies do for lots of games.

If you want an example of "selling trophies", try Disgaea D2.  Six full DLC packs of trophies that can only be obtained through purchasing the characters in question as paid DLC.  You don't want to pay the developer, you can't get the trophies.

And if you don't like what you view as monetization and other changes in Gems of War, stop playing it.  Because that's the only way the developers are likely to receive that message.  If you keep playing, and you pursue these particular trophies, there isn't much of an alternate interpretation for the developers to take unless you believe they're going to scour the internet for every piddling message board to see who is bitching today.

Moreover, if you do play this game, you ought to be grateful for monetization like this that suckers in certain people.  Because that's what is paying to keep the servers going and the development of new content, especially for those of us who have been playing the game for free for a long time but haven't forked over any cash.  This isn't a typical console game where you pay a chunk of money up front and get a largely completed product; this is akin to a mobile/gacha game that's only likely to last as long as sufficient monetary support from its' player base.  You don't have to fork over anything to play this game, you don't have to wait for the typical mobile/gacha mechanics of "energy refill" that gates how much you can play the game in any particular period of time, you don't have FOMO-driven purchases of things that are time-limited that have any impact on gameplay, et cetera.

There's a special place in Hell for people who get stuff for free and bitch about it being inadequate.

I think you understood very well what he meant. It is not a matter of literally selling trophies; it is a facilitator: as in Jetpack Joyride, where you buy coins and therefore items and therefore trophies are easier and faster to win. It is a criticism of the beneficiary microtransaction model in gameplay per se.

25 minutes ago, acasser said:

your criticism of disgaea is completely stupid lol, so i can literally criticize any DLC from almost any game so how to pay for extra levels and get trophies, like the Guacamelee! DLCs

where you pay for extra costumes and levels and get trophies. Damn. To paraphrase your own words, "This is not even close" from buying trophies. The example of Jetpack or the topic itself is much better for this.

13 hours ago, acasser said:

The war coin trophy is not about grind or anything difficult, you just need to log in at the right time to be able to buy it with gem(once every 4 months) or pay for something I dont need. I like the game, but I can still be annoyed by this and think they are selling a trophy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nieird said:

The war coin trophy is not about grind or anything difficult, you just need to log in at the right time to be able to buy it with gem(once every 4 months) or pay for something I dont need. I like the game, but I can still be annoyed by this and think they are selling a trophy.

War Coins are supposed to be available through the Adventure Board, at least according to the developers and their spokespeople (on streams and forums).  And those people claim it's "bad luck" and "RNG" to explain why we've had one day of War Coins on the Adventure Board in several months since it has become a thing.

War Coins are also supposed to show up in Daily Deals.  But either that's similarly a very low-odds chance or lots of people have gotten unlucky.  Many of the people in my guild have had it happen once -- myself included -- but one time in several months (not counting any VIP offers which I don't have access to) seems low when I get two offers a day, even if a lot of those offers are tilted towards things I (might) need to level up my kingdoms.

War Coins can also show up as a bonus offer for completing an Arena run (5 or 6 wins).  I frequently play three Arena runs per day when there aren't Pet Rescue events running -- Pet Gnomes show up fairly often in that mode and I hate to waste them -- and I've seen War Coins offers through that mode once.

I suspect it's simply one of those low-odds things which the developer encourages to keep players in front of their consoles churning Gems of War, or to spend (real) money to expedite things.  But I still wouldn't consider that a "pay for trophy" thing when it's perfectly possible to get this through normal means.  Time-consuming and tedious, but we all can probably name a game or sixteen whose trophies are like that.

On 5/21/2021 at 8:56 PM, acasser said:

War Coins can also show up as a bonus offer for completing an Arena run (5 or 6 wins).  I frequently play three Arena runs per day when there aren't Pet Rescue events running -- Pet Gnomes show up fairly often in that mode and I hate to waste them -- and I've seen War Coins offers through that mode once.

I did maybe 10 arena runs since friday, still nothing. Ill keep going.

Except war coins in arena are not in the gem of war 5.3 update note:

• Players can earn War Coins in a few ways:
    • New Player Login Calendar – We have replaced the Treasure Map rewards on Day 6 with some War Coins
      • To celebrate the release of 5.3 Update, we will also be running a special Login Calendar that will contain some War Coins for existing Players
    • Completing Questlines for each Kingdoms (e.g. for Broken Spire)
      • As Warbands are aimed at newer players, we will not be giving any War Coins to players who have completed Kingdom Questlines previously
    • Adventure Board – There are 2 Adventure Board Tasks with War Coins (Epic + Legendary) that players may encounter.
    • Daily Deals – There are 2 different daily deals that players may encounter. 1 VIP Offer + 1 Player Level Offer.
    • There is War Coin purchase available in the Shop
  • Warbands are set up so that we can add or change Warbands in the Shop with game updates, allowing us to rotate Warbands around from time to time
Edited by Nieird

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, Nieird said:

War Coins in the adventure board today. Never got the offer bonus in arena.

It's only the 3rd time that they showed up there.. never got them on the other places except the VIP6 daily deal, before I got to VIP6...

Also don't forget that today the daily deal is free to grab and is a Anu Medal! Don't miss that one too!