What is "Vein"?

Kizer26

I never gave too much thought about the name of the game before getting the platinum, but one of the endings had me curious. The "Code" in "Code Vein" I assume comes from the Blood Codes in the game, but I never heard the term "Vein" really used. The first instance I recall hearing anyone mention it was during 

Spoiler

the To Eternity ending, where IO says "The powers that you have inherited from them are now, by your will, bound to your flesh... And Vein sleeps again... for what might be called forever." 

I understood the endings, but I know I'm missing something. Anyone care to explain what Vein is?

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Mr_Stkrdknmiblz said:

Vein is the location the game takes place in.

The player awakens in the ruins of a city known only as Vein sealed within a red ring of mist, the land inside known as the Gaol of the Mists. Guided by a girl in white named Io to a Bloodspring plant, the player learns that society is falling apart due to the scarcity of Blood Beads caused by a levy and distribution system and the strict protection of the very few humans remaining in the city, both enforced by Silva's provisional government, established shortly after Operation Queenslayer, leaving bloodthirsty Revenants to frenzy and turn into the Lost.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...