Thinking about fully converting to digital

Zenpai

After having been a 100% physical gamer my entire life, I think I will finally convert to digital games. You rarely ever see physical games get as cheap as they get in the digital storefront, especially during sales and even more so after a few years have passed. My backlog is so gigantic that I have enough games to keep me busy while I wait for the price to go down, anyway.

Regardless, there might be advantages to physical gaming that I might be overlooking. Can any of your remind me of the downsides of digital before I make the transition?

I already know that:

• You can't lend them (as easily)
  • You can't sell them back
  • You can't give them to anybody.

But I would say that the low prices more than outweigh those minor setbacks. Anything else I might be forgetting?

Under certain (rare) circumstances, games that you’ve bought can be removed from your collection and unless you have the emailed receipt from Sony, you’ll have no recourse to get the game, or your money, back. 

If your account gets hacked and/or banned-you could lose access to all of your purchases. 

• Like 2

As far as prices go, it's a bit of a tradeoff.  If you go eBay/secondhand you can get new games cheaper since digital will stick around it's full price for a bit... where a week to a month after launch you can get a physical game for like $10-20 cheaper.  And secondhand prices in general can get pretty low, though the floor is never as low as digital (you'll never find a physical game for like $2-5 on eBay with shipping etc lol).  You're also stuck exclusively in sale periods or random flash sales you may miss, where you can go dumpster diving on eBay whenever you want.

If it's purely about price, I don't totally agree with digital being a slam dunk better than physical, but I also tend to not want to wait months or years for "the best" price so... diff'rent strokes.  And of course by going digital you're selling your soul to the Playstation ecosystem. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

Well, there's just one thing for me: Digital purchases won't be there forever, no matter if it takes 10 years or 30.

But on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I don't give a shit about my digital purchases when I'm like 60 years old.

Physical copies can't go away, but it doesn't really make sense to preserve them, because the most games now always need big Day1 patches to run properly (and in some cases even that isn't enough). It's really only about collecting physical stuff and "wasting" shelfspace, nothing else.

I don't know if that was relevant to this topic lol. My point is, you can't go wrong with either way.

If you're going out cheaper with digital only, so do that. If you want more freedom, stick with phsyical.

14 minutes ago, da_Heino said:

Physical copies can't go away, but it doesn't really make sense to preserve them, because the most games now always need big Day1 patches to run properly (and in some cases even that isn't enough). It's really only about collecting physical stuff and "wasting" shelfspace, nothing else.

13 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Physical cons:

• Physical can deteriorate, can get lost, or damaged.
  • Takes up physical space.
  • You need to have the disc in your console to play it, making it more inconvenient.
  • There's physical games nowadays where not all the game is on the disc, or requires patches to make it playable, kind of rendering it being physical useless, as you're still going to need an internet connection to download the patches and/or the entirety of the game, and are still going to have to rely on Sony's servers staying operational.

I just want to say, as a collector who makes quite a bit of effort researching this stuff... "most games" aren't that bad at launch and "most games" that are bad, either never really get fixed so it's moot or get re-prints with updates and DLC on the disc in one way or other (literal re-prints for that purpose, GOTY/complete editions, remasters, next gen disc releases, etc).  My physical collection is far from wasted space or useless.

EDIT: Also, even if updates and DLC prevent the disc from giving you the best experience... physical is at worst still just as good as digital.  Disc copies get the same updates and DLC that digital owners do.  With the added bonus of having something, albeit imperfect, to play if PSN goes away.  I don't see how it's a con.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I'm buying all my game digital presently because i was always selling em back at lost. 2 or 3 years later i had to buy em back at insane price for play em again lol. so now i go digital so i can't sell em back.. then 2 or 3 years later i can play em without having the trouble to buy em back on ebay lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I just want to say, as a collector who makes quite a bit of effort researching this stuff... "most games" aren't that bad at launch and "most games" that are bad, either never really get fixed so it's moot or get re-prints with updates and DLC on the disc in one way or other (literal re-prints for that purpose, GOTY/complete editions, remasters, next gen disc releases, etc).  My physical collection is far from wasted space or useless.

Yes, most games are fine but there's still a fair few PS4 games nowadays that don't contain everything on the disc. Technically, most games don't have everything on the disc, because most games don't have all the patches on disc, even some LRG games and GOTY/complete editions. It's way more of an issue now than it was for the PS3/360, I can't even think of any games for those systems where a good chunk of the game wasn't on the disc, and now we have games like the Spyro remake collection where the first 2 games aren't on the disc (I hear they might be now on more recent revisions of the physical release, but I've never found anything that 100% confirms it).

I mostly collect physical myself, buy loads of limited print games, even double dipping on games I already own digitally, or re-buying games I already own when they do get those "complete" editions or re-released on a new console. I love collecting games, but sadly it does feel a little less like I own my games nowadays then it did pre-PS3 era, even if I do own them on disc/cart.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Yes, most games are fine but there's still a fair few PS4 games nowadays that don't contain everything on the disc. Technically, most games don't have everything on the disc, because most games don't have all the patches on disc, even some LRG games and GOTY/complete editions. It's way more of an issue now than it was for the PS3/360, I can't even think of any games for those systems where a good chunk of the game wasn't on the disc, and now we have games like the Spyro remake collection where the first 2 games aren't on the disc (I hear they might be now on more recent revisions of the physical release, but I've never found anything that 100% confirms it).

I mostly collect physical myself, buy loads of limited print games, even double dipping on games I already own digitally, or re-buying games I already own when they do get those "complete" editions or re-released on a new console. I love collecting games, but sadly it does feel a little less like I own my games nowadays then it did pre-PS3 era, even if I do own them on disc/cart.

Well, I'll reiterate my edit.

With PSN... physical and digital are even steven.  Same patches, same DLC, etc.

Without PSN... your already installed/patched disc copy and your already installed/patched digital copy, again, even steven.  If you delete them, you'll never get the same game back again.

Without PSN, and without it already being installed... your slightly imperfect disc is totally usable (refuted CMOS battery goofiness aside) and your digital games are gone.

How is that considered a negative for physical?

EDIT: Though I second the sentiment that it's disappointing even LRG can't get all the patches and DLC on disc sometimes, defeating their own purpose.

Edited by Dreakon13

18 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Without PSN... your already installed/patched disc copy and your already installed/patched digital copy, again, even steven.  If you delete them, you'll never get the same game back again.

Without PSN, and without it already being installed... your slightly imperfect disc is totally usable (refuted CMOS battery goofiness aside) and your digital games are gone.

It is not a negative but it is a highly unlikely scenario. That PSN would go away in a timeframe where I still wanted to play a game.  

I buy whatever is cheaper (usually digital) but for games I really want or like the box art, I generally seek out physical.  But by the time PSN goes away, it’s not like I will be playing any of these games, physical OR digital.  

It might be listed as a risk but it is such a small risk.  And not like playing games unpatched is that appetizing.

10 minutes ago, djb5f said:

It is not a negative

It was literally in someones "con" section in a previous post. xD

We're talking about the practicality of physical games without PSN... if you want to make the argument who will honestly care about these games by the time PSN goes down for good, that's totally fair.

But talking about "imperfect discs" like it's on the same level as no game at all is just petty.  The state of launch games is a bad look for the industry, but it's terribly exaggerated because of a few Cyberpunk's driving the average down, and there are ways around it to maintain integrity in a physical collection.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the PS5 disc release of Cyberpunk will be about as good as you can hope for the game long term.

Edited by Dreakon13

54 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

EDIT: Though I second the sentiment that it's disappointing even LRG can't get all the patches and DLC on disc sometimes, defeating their own purpose.

It's a negative for both, but I pointed it out for physical in particular because many people still assume all or most of a game is on the disc, but that isn't the case for some physical releases any more (especially on Switch). And physical never really used to have this issue, that was mostly back when digital games weren't really a thing either on consoles, but PS3/360 definitely had a lot less games that were buggy messes without patches. Yes, you can still play a physical game on a console that is completely offline, assuming it doesn't need an update to be playable, so that's a bonus over digital, and yeah, not every game is a broken mess at launch but sadly, a lot are. Far, far more than was the case with the 7th gen. Maybe not the majority, not by a long shot, but enough that it does make some physical versions on par with their digital counterparts (in that, the game is unplayable or near-unplayable without patches, so it doesn't really matter which version you own at that point).

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Maybe not the majority, not by a long shot, but enough that it does make some physical versions on per with their digital counterparts (in that, the game is unplayable or near-unplayable without patches, so it doesn't really matter which version you own at that point).

I'm not really willing to concede that the ability to play a game is a bad thing because some of them had a bad launch.

EDIT: Hell, I wouldn't agree if they ALL had bad launches.  The alternative is nothing.

Edited by Dreakon13

I have a lot of both. Digital and physical. I have bought a ton of games from GOG.com and Steam over the years.

As far as physical is concerned I recently sold some of my older games which is a little money I can spend on games I'm interested in and haven't played yet. You cannot do that with digital, as a matter of fact digital refunds are moreso the exception rather then the norm.

I dabble in both digital and physical, but I have never leaned entirely to either side.

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm not really willing to concede that the ability to play a game is a bad thing because some of them had a bad launch.

Some physicals DO NOT contain the entire game(s) on the disc/cart, that was my main point. As aforementioned, Spyro, you can't play 2 or 3 without downloading them on the original retail release. If/when Sony ever takes down their servers and you re-install that disc, you will never have access to the 2nd and 3rd games ever again. Obviously it's the same for the digital version at that point, and I guess you can say at least you still have access to the first game, but you're still being locked out from games that should be on the disc.

It's not really about games having a bad launch, but they're definitely an issue as well. It's not going to be fun playing base Cyberpunk if/when you can't download patches any more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Some physicals DO NOT contain the entire game(s) on the disc/cart, that was my main point. As aforementioned, Spyro, you can't play 2 or 3 without downloading them on the original retail release. If/when Sony ever takes down their servers and you re-install that disc, you will never have access to the 2nd and 3rd games ever again. Obviously it's the same for the digital version at that point, and I guess you can say at least you still have access to the first game, but you're still being locked out from games that should be on the disc.

It's not really about games having a bad launch, but they're definitely an issue as well. It's not going to be fun playing base Cyberpunk if/when you can't download patches any more.

The Spyro situation is very rare, on the Playstation at least.  And frankly it didn't/doesn't make any sense.  It's more common with the Switch due to the size of the carts but a. we're not on a Nintendo forum and b. Switch releases are very clearly labeled when a download is required.  If all you're doing is buying games that require downloads then... sure, you win, what a useless physical collection. xD  Out of my hundreds of games, including Switch, I assure you not one requires a download.

I'm looking forward to getting a patched native PS5 disc of Cyberpunk later this year.

Edited by Dreakon13

Just as SuperSmexy500 said, a lot of cons are there for both sides of this coin, as a person who enjoys getting the disc in hand and so on I think it is best to also add that staying with physical mostly due to how it is better for you in the long run, and or do what I do, get both, like if say sony are giving away a game like say for an example killing floor 2. You could get the disc as well so if say your router is broken or you just moved in and don't have the internet set up you could just pop that game in and play it awhile and so on as normally at least in the uk if a game goes on plus it normally drops in price on disc.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

The Spyro situation is very rare, on the Playstation at least.  And frankly it didn't/doesn't make any sense.  It's more common with the Switch due to the size of the carts but a. we're not on a Nintendo forum and b. Switch releases are very clearly labeled when a download is required.  If all you're doing is buying games that require downloads then... sure, you win, what a useless physical collection. xD

I'm looking forward to getting a patched native PS5 disc of Cyberpunk.

It really isn't that rare actually. Happens loads with multiplayer focused games, though I guess you could argue it doesn't really matter with those, since they generally require online anyway, at least for the multiplayer (and some are multiplayer only).

I generally agree that physical > digital, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter much any more, aside from retaining a bit more ownership over physical. System updates can render games unplayable as well, such as what's happened with Alekhine's Gun recently. Doesn't matter if you have the disc version, doesn't matter if you don't download any updates, it just doesn't work on the current firmware. You don't have as much control/ownership over your physical collection as you may believe, as depressing at it is.

There's no guarantee there will be a fully patched version of Cyberpunk on PS5 on disc. I'm sure it will get a physical release on PS5, but I'm also sure it will continue to get updates beyond that point.

• Like 1

You can sell them, trade them or lend them. It is even easier actually :D But it's not safe as much as Physical for the buyer. You just gotta open an E-mail and PSN account for the game u r gonna buy, then use that account on your console to play that game. When your friend wants to try that game u can give that accounts info to him so he can play too. You can sell your account whenever you want.

12 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

You don't have as much control/ownership over your physical collection as you may believe, as depressing at it is.

I respectfully disagree.  We can cherry pick Spyro's and Alekhine's Gun's all day (I'll give you a freebie - Telltale Season Pass discs), and be upset when multiplayer games require internet... but big picture the physical situation's not even close to as doom and gloom as you think it is.  Especially if you're a little diligent with what you add to the collection.

12 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

There's no guarantee there will be a fully patched version of Cyberpunk on PS5 on disc. I'm sure it will get a physical release on PS5, but I'm also sure it will continue to get updates beyond that point.

It doesn't need to be "fully patched".  I have absolutely no doubt the native PS5 print of Cyberpunk will be vastly improved from the PS4 launch disc.  The PS4 launch version on a PS5 was even playable.

Edited by Dreakon13

4 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I respectfully disagree.  We can cherry pick Spyro's and Alekhine's Gun's all day (I'll give you a freebie - Telltale Season Pass discs), and be upset when multiplayer games require internet... but big picture the physical situation's not even close to as doom and gloom as you think it is.  Especially if you're a little diligent with what you add to the collection.

it is up in the air for mp games but most if not a lot of games are mostly single player games and don't really need patches to be playable and so on like say you got the disc of dishonoured 2, you can play it without the patches and so on and am not saying you  shouldn't patch it or should just saying you can do that, having the disc is a bonus as you can get rid of the game if you don't like it, However I will say that I miss demo discs and when all the content used to be all on the disc then how it is now and so on.