DLC % logic?

Why DLC trophies have such an absurd% on the site. The DLC trophy in Batman Arkham Knight cannot be 1.5% in psntrophyleaders and 6% here. In TLOU Survivor, the difficulty cannot be 11% and DLC Grounded the difficulty is 25%. These are some absurdities and so with all games, please someone explain the logic to me?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Because the rarities are not computed based on the number of base game owners. 

Instead, the number of DLC owners is manipulated. It is computed as the geometric mean between the number of base game owners, and the number of players that have achieved at least a trophy in the DLC. 

It often results in NG+ trophies being less rare than NG trophies, for example. 

It is a manipulated, misleading, manufactured rarity, but it is what it is. 

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I like the system in psntrophyleaders much more. I have 122 UR trophies there, and only 65 UR trophies here.

• Like 1

Both systems have their pros and cons.

If you calculate using the number of people who played the base game then you don’t get the issues with things like NG+ DLC. But it means you can effectively ‘buy’ your way to a whole bunch of ultra rare trophies, which somewhat devalues (although the value of trophies is a whole other discussion…)

If you only calculate based on the number of people who own the DLC you’re getting a better measure of the % of players who could genuinely earn that trophy. But it can create some really wonky stats if uptake of the DLC is really low

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

If you calculate using the number of people who played the base game then you don’t get the issues with things like NG+ DLC. But it means you can effectively ‘buy’ your way to a whole bunch of ultra rare trophies, which somewhat devalues (although the value of trophies is a whole other discussion…)

You would calculate it based on the people that have the DLC list on their profiles. Which is, in my opinion, what should be done. 

If you only calculate based on the number of people who own the DLC you’re getting a better measure of the % of players who could genuinely earn that trophy. But it can create some really wonky stats if uptake of the DLC is really low

Sure, but that's not what is being done. Why is the geometric mean the number of DLC owners? It's not. It's a made up number that has no meaning. 

Also, this is being applied both to paid and free DLC. Everyone owns free DLC if they own the base game. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I don't know, I don't think new users should go necro old topics.

If it’s a continuation of the same discussion then it should go in the same thread. We don’t have rules against necro-ing old threads here, as long as it’s not to post off topic.  

• Like 1

I tried talking to @Arcesius on that other thread we were on discussing DLC trophy percentages and how I felt the system is better now than it was back in 2016 - 2017. He just shrugged and disagreed with my points by trying to make a philosophy in how the percentages should be dictated.

So I'm out. This conversation is completely useless to me at this point. The current system is fine in my opinion.

These forums get more and more soft as time goes on.

Because thats arbitrary and bullshit, and it will continue to be so. an infallible logic where free games like Rocket League have a fucked up list, like so many others involving free dlcs, see how magnificent and brilliant the percentage of dlcs owners is compared to the base game, all because the user "doesn't have" dlcs only for not winning a specific trophy from it lol?

31 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

You're right the DLC % IS absurd. The number is pretty meaningless imo. Counting DLC owners only brought up anomalies in certain instances, harder DLC difficulties were more common than easier base game difficulties etc. As far as I can tell the only reason the original method of using all game owners isn't used anymore was to appease the anti-DLC crowd that were angry they were mostly ultra rare.

I prefer all game owners because its the most consistent. All other stats use all game owners. Individual game percentages, game ranks, overall completion %, unearned trophies etc 

Just counting DLC owners is okay I guess but then just count DLC owners for everything else as well. This was the argument the other week wasn't it? Someone didn't want DLC they didn't have to affect their completion %

To me the current system just conjures up a number that doesn't mean anything. The others are based on fact and this half way house of using one system for one stat and another for something else just muddies the water

There is no way to count DLC owners and hence the entire issue.

At one point, it was using DLC owners who have at least one trophy earned but that is a much different count and skewed the statistics.  It skewed very high for games with very difficult DLC packs.  A really hard trophy could show 90% achieved or something silly.

I am fine with how it is now.  The formula is admittedly arbitrary but I use it as a guide to seeing how difficult a trophy is and it works in that regard.

The only other option is like psntrophyleaders where the DLC owners is the same as base game owners but that isn’t accurate and skews percentages very low, thereby inflating ultra rare trophies.

So any of the methods is broken because you have no idea how many people actually have the DLC.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 3

now more seriously, not even psn does the correct calculation, let alone psnp. Sony calculates the rarity of dlcs trophies assuming that all game owners also have dlcs, so ultimately this is an unresolved issue, although it’s fun to talk and theorize about things.

6 minutes ago, djb5f said:

There is no way to count DLC owners and hence the entire issue.

At one point, it was using DLC owners who have at least one trophy earned but that is a much different count and skewed the statistics.  It skewed very high for games with very difficult DLC packs.  A really hard trophy could show 90% achieved or something silly.

I am fine with how it is now.  The formula is admittedly arbitrary but I use it as a guide to seeing how difficult a trophy is and it works in that regard.

The only other option is like psntrophyleaders where the DLC owners is the same as base game owners but that isn’t accurate and skews percentages very low, thereby inflating ultra rare trophies.

So any of the methods is broken because you have no idea how many people actually have the DLC.

Yes, you're right. both sites are arbitrary and inaccurate, because this is an issue that cannot be resolved without official data. and I understand that psnp is more "fair" (?) on this issue, in a way controlling the rarity so as not to make something extremely unbalanced

I'm interested in how these discussions would play out today from scratch. Back when the DLC percent debates originally started, I feel like the community attitude wasn't "100% Completion at all costs" which it feels like it is today.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 3

I am glad that such a discussion has started. I will ask those who are annoyed that the topic has been chewed many times to just skip it, I don't understand why they read something that doesn't interest them anymore?

I guess none of us live because of the numbers, but it's still a little annoying to have really tough trophies like the ones in the Batman Arkham Knight Community Challenge Pack and just be Verry Rare, those trophies certainly have to be Ultra Rare.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kikataa said:

I guess none of us live because of the numbers, but it's still a little annoying to have really tough trophies like the ones in the Batman Arkham Knight Community Challenge Pack and just be Verry Rare, those trophies certainly have to be Ultra Rare.

“Ultra Rare” doesn’t inherently mean a trophy is hard. It just means very few people have done it. My rarest platinum definitely wasn’t my most difficult, it was just in a game that was niche and fairly grindy