Hard Mode: Whispering Harbinger and Sephiroth

Hi everyone, 

FInally at the final part now and just want to get it done and be done with the game. 

My time it at 89 hours now and so its been around 40 game time but a lot longer real time the first time I reached these guys. 

I honestly can't remember much about it but just had a quick go and got wrecked. I now have that Gotternburg necklace thing from the Top Secret fight so who is it best to have equip it, also after you fight the Harbinger do you get to save before Sephiroth or just get an autosave, or is it another pain in the arse like the Rufus straight into Arsenal fight and if you lose you have to restart at Rufus?

I know it won't be easy but if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Like I said I just wanna get it done and move on. Been on the game for so frikkin long now. 

I had it equipped to cloud.

Harbinger was messy for me, I made sure everyone had a max heal and Aerith and Tifa had both heals and prayers maxed and then just brute forced it using limits and any given opportunity.

I believe there is an auto-save between the Harbinger and Sephiroth because I died once at Sephiroth at his second stage. Sephiroth I used cloud again using limit break at the start of the fight and used the others to heal. I equipped cloud to resist damage from fire and ice and then using limit break at every opportunity and also using counter stance a lot.

I was also sick of the game at this point and just wanted it done so towards the end I threw all strategy out the window and just went straight to brute force.

Edited by Silocia
  • Like 1

Honestly, if you beat Pride and Joy prototype already, you shouldn't have any problems with Sephiroth, as it is much easier boss, from my experience. I think it took me 10-20 attempts to beat that dragon (whatever it's called) that you have to fight before Pride and Joy, and I only died 2 or 3 times during the last level.

I had Gotternburg necklace and limit break equipped on Cloud. If you get killed by Sephiroth you restart from beginning of his battle, just don't select 'start from the first battle' by accident.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

or is it another pain in the arse like the Rufus straight into Arsenal fight and if you lose you have to restart at Rufus?

Wait, what? You didn't have to restart from Rufus if you lost/restarted against The Arsenal.

For the last fight with Sephiroth btw, who joins depends on how well ur teamates did during harbingers

For example, if barrett pressures a harbinger, he will get 50+pts, if tifa kills one, she will get 100+pts.

One with the highest points joins first, next after and least pts never joins

I havent got to this boss yet on my guides, but i know thus due to the official guidebook

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Wait, what? You didn't have to restart from Rufus if you lost/restarted against The Arsenal.

Indeed you do. I don't have time to keep playing if I lose the first try and will have another go at another time. Beating Rufus doesn't give you an auto-save and so if you lose or quit out during Arsenal, you then have to repeat the Rufus fight. It sounds like the Sephiroth fight could be the same if you don't retry straight away. 

28 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Indeed you do. I don't have time to keep playing if I lose the first try and will have another go at another time. Beating Rufus doesn't give you an auto-save and so if you lose or quit out during Arsenal, you then have to repeat the Rufus fight. It sounds like the Sephiroth fight could be the same if you don't retry straight away. 

Ok, now i understand. If you RETRY FROM LAST BATTLE you can restart from The Arsenal. If you QUIT or GET A GAME OVER you're forced to fight Rufus again.

I've always restarted because i couldn't accept defeat xDxDxD (jk)

Edited by Lance_87

Well that didn't go well lol. 

I used a setup fro max mp/hp for most except for Tifa. Watched a guide on her to use her as a sacrifice type build. Did what was done in the video, didnn't ger her limit bar filled even a quarter let alone a full bar like in the vid and its materia setup. Got entire team killed within around 40 seconds after it taking 5 minutes to set the materia's up. I hate the game so much now that I can't even concentrate on it anymore. Need to though so I can be just done with it. 

edit

Second and third attempts. Lasted around a minute against the first harbinger fight. This is on another level compared to any boss battle on hard including the P&J event. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Off the top my head, I had one maxed hp/ mp on every one and maxed heal and arise. Prayers on Aerith and Tifa. I used Elemental on my armor for Cloud and I think Aerith, don't remember the elements think fire and lightning respectively. Can't remember what else was equipped materia wise but the gotterdammerung was on Cloud. Open with a limit then just try surviving - tried to use prayer over heal when possible. Change characters frequently because of how aggro and relentless the whispers are. Magnify and barrier will help with mega flare. Once you make it to Sephiroth you can hold square during the cutscene if you want to change materia. Counterstance is awesome here and you can substitute punisher mode if you lack ATB gauges. I also tried utilizing Tifa with ATB Assist like Optinooby did which really helps with Pray. Good luck man you can do this, you are right there!

• Like 1

Man fuck this fucking game. 

Defeated the harbinger bitch and then had to pop to the shop. Switched off and went to the shop. Came back and turns out there isn't a fucking auto save between harbinger and sephiroth and you have to do the whole thing in one sitting. I clicked continue and it took back to the highway before the first harbinger fight. I fucking hate having to play how the devs want you to play and on there time. 

All those attempts wasted because I don't have time sit in front of a fucking console all day long. I wouldn't do that shit on a day off let alone after having a shit day at work only to try this fucking shite when I get back. 

If I could delete this shit stain of game from my profile I would do so. Been a fucking chore the whole way through and not even in the same caliber as the original. 

Dave has reached limit break 2. Select pissed off for default limit break. 

5 hours ago, NoosaHeadz said:

Oh sephiroth was a total bastard . Fuck knows how i beat him but i remember i was close to death when i finally got him and it took me about 3 days

Indeed. Not tried again today. Just sucks that you have to go through the whole harbinger fight all over again and again until you have time to sit down and put sometime in. 

2 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Seph was obsessed with using Octaslash against Aerith during my playthrough lmao.

And guess what? She delivered the final blow xD

My plan was to use Tifa with the Gottenburg thing as she can take out the Bahamut with star shower and then limit break, then when its time to fight Sephiroth I would give the Gotternburg to Aerith who can cast that shield limit break spell as well as manaward. That way you get protection from physical and magic I think, but I couldn't even reach the part where she spawns during the Sephiroth fight. Will try again on my next day off or something.

By the way. When you stagger a whisper and you take all its energy away it was still regening full health. Do you just have to keep wrecking them in stagger to make them back off?

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Just had three more attempts. Got past harbinger again though a bit sloppy like and lost a lot of mp. 

Got to Stephanieroth and tried to use Ice like I saw in a vid guide, you can't cast as fast as him so he spammed fire and ice which you cannot escape from which is cheap but managed to get to next phase. Used Aeriths barrier limit break as well as cast manawall... pointless he breaks through everything. Cloud went down and Aerith is at her most useless here as she cannot cast magic or use abilities due to Stephs interuptrions. Died and retried. 

This time gave Cloud the gotterburg and made it to the second phase straight after the limit break. You cannot block any of his attacks and so he killed me in three moves. Aerith cannot cast magic or use abilities so died again. Retried... same outcome. This is difficult because its Japanese dev cheap. Can't block, take damage from everything, can't cast heal or revive. Dog shit.

By the way. I did get to cast a second limit break but Steph was immune to all hits and so it was a waste. Is there a particular time you can hit it for melee damage. 

Also I heard he was like other bosses in that what magic you cast depends on what he is currently weak against. I never scanned him in normal so is it worth going back and scanning him on normal to see what he is like?

Edited by DaveMcDamage

I didnt use magic, i just wailed on him with tifa and cloud (healed with aerith) and he went down like a chump.

Best was he was at a sliver of health and both tifa and cloud got a limit break so i activated both of them and switched to aerith to watch the show ?

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I didnt use magic, i just wailed on him with tifa and cloud (healed with aerith) and he went down like a chump.

Best was he was at a sliver of health and both tifa and cloud got a limit break so i activated both of them and switched to aerith to watch the show 1f601.png

The thing I really hate about this, is that I hate hating it. 

This (as it was the first time around) should be an epic f**king moment. I guess I'm just burnt out from the game man. And the fact I have to do the f**king harbinger fight all over again next time wrecks it even more for me. I'm a s**t gamer so for me it takes so f**king long to get a learning curve, but I can't get one because I get wiped out so fast that after a few attempts I'm even more burnt out.  If they had just added a save moment after the harbinger I doubt I would be ranking on this half as much. Sadly it is what it is. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

The thing I really hate about this, is that I hate hating it. 

This (as it was the first time around) should be an epic f**king moment. I guess I'm just burnt out from the game man. And the fact I have to do the f**king harbinger fight all over again next time wrecks it even more for me. I'm a s**t gamer so for me it takes so f**king long to get a learning curve, but I can't get one because I get wiped out so fast that after a few attempts I'm even more burnt out.  If they had just added a save moment after the harbinger I doubt I would be ranking on this half as much. Sadly it is what it is. 

No i get it (but still 2 limit breaks for the win was pretty sweet).

What is your weapon set up?

I used this guide for a reference and it is really good.

https://www.gamerguides.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake/guide/hard-mode/chapter-18/sephiroth-hard-mode

8 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

No i get it (but still 2 limit breaks for the win was pretty sweet).

What is your weapon set up?

I used this guide for a reference and it is really good.

https://www.gamerguides.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake/guide/hard-mode/chapter-18/sephiroth-hard-mode

A tag limit break would have looked incredible. Heard they implemented that or something like it in the Yuffie DLC. 

Anyway. I got it done. 

Talk about having my arse twitching like a rabbits nose is an understatement. A very tough fight for me but I did manage to get the counter attack down, albeit very messy. Anyway I get him down to the final chunk of health as he drops the meteor and I have Clouds limit break. Smash him with it and.... he survived it :o 

He then takes Tifa out and I manage to cast revive with Aerith, he then takes Cloud out and as Tifa rises and I am controlling Aerith he then thows that back ball stuff at her, her health dropping and just as he starts to rise I manage to switch to Tifa and hit him with the uppercut and get the win. I nearly prolapsed all over the f**king couch when I saw that manuscript and Sephiroth defeated message pop. 

Cheers for the tips and patience with me on this guys. Big shout to Optin for his step by step guides which really got me through those first few chapters and thanks to everyone for the suggestions and not telling me to f**k off. Hope you advise helps the next bunch of s**t FFVII gamers as it did me lol. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

A tag limit break would have looked incredible. Heard they implemented that or something like it in the Yuffie DLC. 

Anyway. I got it done. 

Talk about having my arse twitching like a rabbits nose is an understatement. A very tough fight for me but I did manage to get the counter attack down, albeit very messy. Anyway I get him down to the final chunk of health as he drops the meteor and I have Clouds limit break. Smash him with it and.... he survived it :o 

He then takes Tifa out and I manage to cast revive with Aerith, he then takes Cloud out and as Tifa rises and I am controlling Aerith he then thows that back ball stuff at her, her health dropping and just as he starts to rise I manage to switch to Tifa and hit him with the uppercut and get the win. I nearly prolapsed all over the f**king couch when I saw that manuscript and Sephiroth defeated message pop. 

Cheers for the tips and patience with me on this guys. Big shout to Optin for his step by step guides which really got me through those first few chapters and thanks to everyone for the suggestions and not telling me to f**k off. Hope you advise helps the next bunch of s**t FFVII gamers as it did me lol. 

Well congrats. Sounds like an epic last battle.

I do the Year End Awards every year so hopefully you participate and include that story as your Badass of the Year award trophy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Anyway. I got it done. 

I knew you could do it. It has been fun going through this journey with you. And you can sleep easy tonight knowing you slew this monkey that has been on your back. Congratulations ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19.5.2021 at 2:09 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Wrong

On 19.5.2021 at 8:25 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Man fuck this fucking game. 

Defeated the harbinger bitch and then had to pop to the shop. Switched off and went to the shop. Came back and turns out there isn't a fucking auto save between harbinger and sephiroth and you have to do the whole thing in one sitting. I clicked continue and it took back to the highway before the first harbinger fight. I fucking hate having to play how the devs want you to play and on there time. 

All those attempts wasted because I don't have time sit in front of a fucking console all day long. I wouldn't do that shit on a day off let alone after having a shit day at work only to try this fucking shite when I get back. 

If I could delete this shit stain of game from my profile I would do so. Been a fucking chore the whole way through and not even in the same caliber as the original. 

Dave has reached limit break 2. Select pissed off for default limit break. 

There is a save

Just can't quit out of the game