Giving up on Resident Evil 8’s platinum?

So, I got Resident Evil 8 on May the 10th, and I love it, I played the story once keeping it calm throughout the week and then, I played it again for the speedrun and the valley of shadows difficulty run. I was happy with my progress, only missing this mercenaries thing, how hard could it be?

Well, yesterday I played about an hour of the first stage and couldn’t get more than a B, today, I played about another hour and got my first S. I started playing the second stage and couldn’t maintain my combo and quitted the game. 

it’s not going to get any easier, is it? 

Any of you liking the game?

• Like 3

Love the game, it's probably one of my all time favourite entries even though I thought the way Ethan was written was pretty bad, everything else was great for me though. It would also have been a perfect platinum too if they hadn't tacked on the Mercenary stuff.

Honestly though, Mercenaries is doable with the right strategy and time devoted to practicing it. I've almost got Factory 2 mastered and then it's just Mad Village 2. I was convinced I wouldn't get past Castle 2 but it happened. It was a crap choice to include Mercenary S-Rank requirements as part of the platinum, but if I can do it, i'm pretty sure anyone can.

• Like 3

Great game. Plan on going through village of shadows in the near future, but I doubt I'll bother trying to get the platinum. Mercenaries has never been my thing, and from what a bunch of friends have said, getting that S rank on Mercs is incredibly tedious due to needing to know the spawn points of enemies and never dropping your combo once. 

Getting the platinum for RE7 was surprisingly fun and a lot easier than I expected. I didn't even really try to speed run the game but once I finished Marguerite at around the 2 hour mark, I thought "maybe I can step it up from here" and managed to do it with finding all the antique coins as well. 

But who knows, maybe RE8's Mercs won't be as hard for me as other people since I understand the combat really well. 

• Like 1

At the beginning it looked like it would be terribly difficult, but if you check the statistics, you will actually see that many players have been obtaining that one during the last days. Mercenaries, as many other minigames in the resident evil series, are usually challenging. But nothing that a true RE-fan shouldn't be able to deal with.

• Like 2

I think the trophies could have been balanced better. Mercenaries is a difficulty spike compared to the cake-walk that are the story-related trophies. Perhaps they could have made it mandatory to finish Hardcore on NG, but Village of Shadows on NG+, just to give some sort of incentive to play the game on a higher difficulty without using an infinite ammo magnum. I think that would give the player better appreciation on things like conserving ammo and health items which at least to me is the most enjoyable aspect of an RE game. 

As for Mercenaries, I see people mentioning that you need to never drop your combo to achieve an S rank. In fact, you can get SSS on several of the later levels while dropping your combo several times and even dying. The requirements for the S ranks are very lenient. With that said, it still takes some practice and getting used to in order to get through the harder stages. But it's not like it is an insane challenge - it is hard but doable. 

It might just be that because the story trophies are so incredibly easy if you use infinity ammo that players are taken by surprise when it comes to the challenge in Mercenaries. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

For someone who has the Dark Souls 2 and 3 platinums, I find it interesting you are finding Mercenaries that difficult. It's just trial and error really. 

I guess you are right. Haha I have to keep trying until I get comfortable with the mode. 

• Like 1

I'm working my way through the last 4 stages of Mercenaries and I understand the fatigue, but you can do this! Find some good guide (I personally like the guide on game8) Aim for the best thing possible, turn off adaptive triggers if on the 5, and eventually you'll find the rhythm! I also think this mode benefits from trying it a bunch and then taking a break, do something else, and then come back to it with a fresh mind!

• Like 1

I simply chose to not do mercenaries. I didn’t enjoy it enough to grind it. So the game will probably always sit at 99%. I might pick it up again in a few months if I have nothing else to play. 

I loved the Raid mode in both RE Revelations games and have platted both of them. But I just don’t like it in first person. 

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 3

RNG does play a part in this mode when comes to the power up points, but get a few handy perks early on and the levels are way easier than folk probably feel! The only one I would say was a pain was the Factory 2, more for trying to keep the Combo going, but with the Pistol Powered up and the Magnum, it certainly won’t take forever. Having a fair amount of Proximity Mines was very useful on that level also! Mad Village 2 was the easiest. As long as you finish the first section with full combo and a fairly decent combo in the next section, the level doesn’t have to be completed successfully to guarantee the S Rank! 

• Like 1

Yeah I am about to give up on this platinum. It's not enjoyable, it's just frustrating. If the whole game was like that I would be okay, but difficulty spike is unreal. I just don't enjoy difficult games, I prefer when platinums are about doing everyting possible and just experiencing what game has to offer. I wish my boyfriend or friend could help me with it, but struggle is unanimous :D

• Like 3

Don't give up, its actually not that hard after couple tries :) Yes I aware that it might be more difficult for some and that's always gonna be like that but trust me after u play a stage for 3-4 times u should really knock the spawns out easily and after that's its just the combo ur gonna hold on to throughout the stage that'll carry u. Not bragging but the first 4 stages for example were pretty easy, did all of em in the first try but the last 4 are annoying so the right strategy and maybe 1-2 runs as practice will help u trough it. Also after beating the stages for the first time on a A rank u will get 5000 Lei Bonus so u can upgrade ur weapon even more to make things easier :)

2 hours ago, soziaLSturmi said:

Don't give up, its actually not that hard after couple tries :) Yes I aware that it might be more difficult for some and that's always gonna be like that but trust me after u play a stage for 3-4 times u should really knock the spawns out easily and after that's its just the combo ur gonna hold on to throughout the stage that'll carry u. Not bragging but the first 4 stages for example were pretty easy, did all of em in the first try but the last 4 are annoying so the right strategy and maybe 1-2 runs as practice will help u trough it. Also after beating the stages for the first time on a A rank u will get 5000 Lei Bonus so u can upgrade ur weapon even more to make things easier :)

after plaing stages 3-4 times ;D That would require me being able to not die half into the level, what was first fry for you was solid 3-4 hours for me. If only that game was in third person, it would be so much easier. I hate how narrow your field of vision is in first person. Man, dealing with Ghost ship chaos in rev 1 was so much better.

Threads like this worried me at launch, but within 2 hours of playing The Mercenaries, I have 3 S ranks already. I know the first 4 stages are easier, but this is really just trial and error. Now that people know good loadouts and routes, this plat is achievable by anyone who’s willing to watch a video guide tbh. 

Update: SS or S ranked all of The Mercenaries stages well under the time allotted to that step in Powerpyx’s guide. If you’re struggling to maintain your combo, make sure to pick a more optimal path. YouTube guides like this are very helpful for that. 

Edited by jjjkur

If memorization is a problem, you can pause the run and watch a video guide. The timer/combo doesn't tick down while paused.

Anyways, the latter 4 do require some semblance of skill since you need to take down the enemies with pistol spam to maintain combo. It's certainly not very fun, but just requires some persistence for you to do it correctly.

I found this way easier than most people let on. I took my time with the plat for this game as I wanted to enjoy playing Village at my own pace. That being said I actually found Mercenaries pretty easy in this game. 

Best tip I can give is max out the handgun for the last 4 stages and don't reload your handgun when you're near the end of an area. That way when you upgrade your capacity in the intermission you save a clip of ammo which really makes a difference.

I think Code Veronica X (PAL) Battle Mode is harder. 

• Like 2

On 5/22/2021 at 10:31 PM, FreshFromThaDeli said:

I found this way easier than most people let on. I took my time with the plat for this game as I wanted to enjoy playing Village at my own pace. That being said I actually found Mercenaries pretty easy in this game. 

Best tip I can give is max out the handgun for the last 4 stages and don't reload your handgun when you're near the end of an area. That way when you upgrade your capacity in the intermission you save a clip of ammo which really makes a difference.

I think Code Veronica X (PAL) Battle Mode is harder. 

Did you use the V61 for the last 4 stages? It made SS rank easy in the first 4.

Also, I heard CVX PAL Battle Mode is tough due to the slowness of the PAL port. I don’t know firsthand since I only played the American version. 

Update: S ranked the last 4 using the Lemi/Magnum. All were easy to manageable. 

Edited by jjjkur

Everyone has good tips and advice in the thread. Keep in mind it's not likely every single tip/piece of advice will work for you personally - so for each level, queue up 2-3 different strategies and try them out. Ultimately prepare yourself mentally, accept you'll be doing multiple repetitions of runs and that you'll putting some hours of practice in for each level, mixed with trying different strategies to find what works.

It might not be a quick process, but going in prepared to sink some hours into getting it is a good approach. Even after getting the platinum in this game, I still think it's stupid to have Mercenaries requirements in the base game trophy list at all and i'm sure the mode will come back to haunt us in future DLC but as far as the base game requirement goes - definitely doable with practice even though it's a bit infuriating at points.

6 hours ago, jjjkur said:

Did you use the V61 for the last 4 stages? It made SS rank easy in the first 4.

Also, I heard CVX PAL Battle Mode is tough due to the slowness of the PAL port. I don’t know firsthand since I only played the American version. 

Just stuck with the LEMI and then bought the Wolfsbane in Factory 2, Mad Village 2. Grenade Launcher with loads of flash grenades for Castle 2 alongside a few explosive shells.

PAL version of CVX runs at 50hz so you're right that it is running slower than NTSC version. The timer requirements are not changed so that's why it really difficult. I caved and had to buy CVX again by making an American account.

Edited by FreshFromThaDeli
  • Like 2

Honestly found them all pretty easy, Castle 2 and Factory 2 are the only ones I didn't get first try. 

Castle 2 is more about Survival than it is about to keeping the combo going, I messed up loads but the last area was basically me just getting over the S rank requirement and leaving.

Factory 2 actually has more room for error than you think, I had a fantastic run in the first area but had a massive blunder in the second where I purchased tons of grenade launcher ammo but forgot to purchase the launcher itself... I barely had any pistol ammo so I sold all the grenades and bought as many pipe bombs as I could and I just killed until I ran out of ammo then left and got the S rank still. With the launcher it would have been a cake walk!

Stick with it, learn the patterns and you will get it eventually. It just requires some effort to learn the enemy spawns and sometimes a bit of luck to get good perks but even those aren't essential and the only one I really liked getting was the one that extends the clip size.

Good luck, you can do it.

• Like 2