Giving up on Resident Evil 8’s platinum?

I wouldn't say I'm ready to give up, but I'm not sure how much fun I'm having trying to get this final trophy either. Usually when I know a plat is going to be overly time intensive or difficult I can usually either avoid the game entirely or just accept the fact that I'm only going to get a B rank or something. This one is painful because I have platinum every other numbered Resi title to come out on release/remake/remaster/etc on PS3-5 (that's 0-7) and it's now sitting at a 97% completion rate. Not getting this one because of one single trophy will frustrate me to hell and back if I can't do it, but at the same time, I'm not really enjoying my time trying to get it either. I don't mind games that are hard, but this trophy is so different from everything else the title requires, and that is what makes it more frustrating. It should have been complete all levels any rank, or just S rank the first four, or something a little more in line with the rest of the trphy list as far as difficulty and time investment goes. And if they were going to push the mercs mode, why make it with only 2 trophies where one is trivial to get in the first level and the other is at the extreme other end with 10's of hours of investment, nothing in between to keep you engaged as a player.

Edit: I'm through 5/8 now. I can see that Mad Village 2 wouldn't be so bad either, so I'm sure I could get that one rather easily. With enough practice, sure I can get the other 2, but at what cost.

Edited by BodyChipper
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BodyChipper said:

Edit: I'm through 5/8 now. I can see that Mad Village 2 wouldn't be so bad either, so I'm sure I could get that one rather easily. With enough practice, sure I can get the other 2, but at what cost.

I agree with you when you say Mercenaries isn't fun. Perhaps if it was more engaging like literally any other past version of Mercenaries then it would make the journey more enjoyable.

That being said, it's just trial and error. Learn the enemy spawns and prioritise upgrading your pistol. There is quite a lot of room for error with not getting a big combo even in the last 4 stages. 

Edited by FreshFromThaDeli

just a typical trial and error mode, took me 2 days.

Factory 2 was the "hardest" imo. But once i got a full combo first level the 2nd was only optional.

Mad Village 2 is the easiest out of all of them. Easy to locate enemies and if done with full combo the first 2 levels, you can let yourself get killed because you already have S rank.

Always used the Lemi and Magnum. Grenade launcher only for Factory 2 2nd level.

Edited by CoregBlue

12 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

I agree with you when you say Mercenaries isn't fun. Perhaps if it was more engaging like literally any other past version of Mercenaries then it would make the journey more enjoyable.

That being said, it's just trial and error. Learn the enemy spawns and prioritise upgrading your pistol. There is quite a lot of room for error with not getting a big combo even in the last 4 stages. 

Got through Castle 2 last night so just the Factory left really. I know I can do Mad Village 2 based on videos and the fact that I SS ranked it on my first try on run #1 without even getting the extra 5,000 lei for a B rank.

Edit: Just go the plat. Factory 2 wasn't so bad once you learned the route well enough. I ended Mad Village 2 on my first try with exactly 658000 points and ran out of time w out being able to get to the exit lol....barely made it.

Edited by BodyChipper
  • Like 2

I'll get it sooner or later. I just don't find the mode very fun. I'm certainly no stranger to harder platinums either. It's just exhausting when the optimal technique is to copy a guy who did it on YouTube, pausing every 20 seconds or so to replicate the technique. Either that, or much trial and error. Even then, there's a little luck involved in the last 4 if you try the knife method. Great game, but this mode is just kinda a buzzkill. 

On 2021-05-25 at 5:42 AM, HaserPL said:

Some people just expect the trophies to be given without any effort unfortunately. 

I mean, I didn’t expect the trophies to just be given out. Many others didn’t either. RE2R’s multiple S ranks and other trophies (certain number of heals, item box, steps, etc) and RE7 had Madhouse which didn’t have any ezpz methods.

This mode was just horribly made, bad balancing, no room for mixing weapons, and other items, etc. Awful mode that I’ll gladly never return to.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 9:27 PM, Toshiro-Na55 said:

So, I got Resident Evil 8 on May the 10th, and I love it, I played the story once keeping it calm throughout the week and then, I played it again for the speedrun and the valley of shadows difficulty run. I was happy with my progress, only missing this mercenaries thing, how hard could it be?

Well, yesterday I played about an hour of the first stage and couldn’t get more than a B, today, I played about another hour and got my first S. I started playing the second stage and couldn’t maintain my combo and quitted the game. 

it’s not going to get any easier, is it? 

Any of you liking the game?

I feel you on this one. Mercenaries mode was tough, however all you need to do is max out your pistol and sniper for the first two levels and learn the layout of each map. The 3rd and 4th map is the worst (Factory,Last village) if you learn it early on it will help when you have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN cos there are part 2's of each map. Take a look at powerpyx's videos it kinda helps get an idea as to how to get it done. I spent around 4 hours to get these done. It is a make or break trophy for sure. But dont give up you got this.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had to give up on this plat :) I did Merc just fine on normal, but the hard versions were just too frustrating with a controller. I decided it just wasn't worth the stress/time... not something I could've even enjoyed chasing after. Don't feel too bad about it, especially when there are tons of other games you can enjoy platting out there

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dargon_lover said:

I had to give up on this plat :) I did Merc just fine on normal, but the hard versions were just too frustrating with a controller. I decided it just wasn't worth the stress/time... not something I could've even enjoyed chasing after. Don't feel too bad about it, especially when there are tons of other games you can enjoy platting out there

same here. i ended up leaving the last trophy. the one guy had some good tutorial videos but on the last 4 its pretty bonkers. and my hands were killing me from firing the damn gun so much. mercenaries is always the worst part of the game. it was shit on veronika also. i think the only people who love it are the asians. they play resident evil as if its needed to stay alive lol

On 5/30/2021 at 7:10 PM, PsYcHoNxVa said:

I just got the Platinum and I didn’t find it to be as difficult as others have said.

oh your one of those guys huh

• Like 1

On 24/10/2021 at 9:27 AM, melodicmizery said:

i think the only people who love it are the asians. they play resident evil as if its needed to stay alive lol

What does being Asian have to do with liking Mercenaries?

I personally think Mercenaries difficulty has been overblown here on PSNP. It's hard but not that hard. RE7 DLC is still the hardest thing in a mainline RE game to do for trophies. 

17 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

What does being Asian have to do with liking Mercenaries?

I personally think Mercenaries difficulty has been overblown here on PSNP. It's hard but not that hard. RE7 DLC is still the hardest thing in a mainline RE game to do for trophies. 

not mercenaries specifically. im talking resident evil games in general. they are obsessed with them and alot play ONLY resident evil over and over again and are the best players in the world when it comes to resident evil in my opinion. if you want a good example play revelations in mp and youll see all japanese name players owning that game. even when orc was out they owned mp. thats been my experience anyways. they love playing the game over and over and over doing speed runs etc

On 10/24/2021 at 4:27 AM, melodicmizery said:

same here. i ended up leaving the last trophy. the one guy had some good tutorial videos but on the last 4 its pretty bonkers. and my hands were killing me from firing the damn gun so much. mercenaries is always the worst part of the game. it was shit on veronika also. i think the only people who love it are the asians. they play resident evil as if its needed to stay alive lol

oh your one of those guys huh

I’m simply stating the facts. The difficulty of a trophy cannot be determined by the average opinion, and the average opinion had me concerned with this one.

• Like 1

Well... after a 5 month hiatus I decided to tackle Mercenaries again and lo and behold... I got it done within two days. Toggling off Adaptive Aim in the Accessibility options seemed to help a lot... I followed the video guides listed on the individual trophy info on this site.

Hope that helps/motivate anyone!

Edited by dargon_lover
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, dargon_lover said:

Well... after a 5 month hiatus I decided to tackle Mercenaries again and lo and behold... I got it done within two days. Toggling off Adaptive Aim in the Accessibility options seemed to help a lot... I followed the video guides listed on the individual trophy info on this site.

Hope that helps/motivate anyone!

I plowed through the first four levels, one a day, but then got stuck pretty hard on the Village 2. Considering I only played Village of Shadows mode after I was fully powered up with an infinite magnum, these levels are a real challenge. Only having the lame pistol is very tough as well. 

I've been taking breaks and playing other games and I think it's helping keep me sane. I'm on Castle 2, which wasn't too bad the first time around, but I'm absolutely dreading Factory 2. I hate that level design and it's so damn dark.

23 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

I plowed through the first four levels, one a day, but then got stuck pretty hard on the Village 2. Considering I only played Village of Shadows mode after I was fully powered up with an infinite magnum, these levels are a real challenge. Only having the lame pistol is very tough as well. 

I've been taking breaks and playing other games and I think it's helping keep me sane. I'm on Castle 2, which wasn't too bad the first time around, but I'm absolutely dreading Factory 2. I hate that level design and it's so damn dark.

to be fair, you only need to perfectly (or close to to perfect) run the first stage in Factory 2 :) The sisters are the only annoying part.

• Like 1

Read the title of this post and wanted to encourage those to not quit and push through. It is worth it to add this plat to your profile and the 100% for those completionists. DLC is coming so those who did decide to take a break revisit the platinum journey when that comes around. You'll feel good about it!

• Like 2

What helped me, personally, was getting at least S ranks for the first four stages without using blue orbs. No, it wasn't easy, but I think it forced me to 'master the basics', so to speak, so that when I went onto the more difficult second half and I did actually start to use the blue orbs (Pistol Damage and Agile for the win), it actually felt a bit easier than I thought it would have been. Factory 2 was a pain but, then again, I insisted on getting the S rank before reaching the second area, so the first area had to be a perfect run.

Edited by advokata1

15 hours ago, dargon_lover said:

to be fair, you only need to perfectly (or close to to perfect) run the first stage in Factory 2 :) The sisters are the only annoying part.

That's kinda my plan, get as close as possible to S rank on the first stage and then just get what I need on the second. 

The worst part for me is having to restart because I gotta do my whole load out again. It's time consuming.  I wish I could just restart the stage.