Giving up on Resident Evil 8’s platinum?

Just platted. Timer on here says 1 week 1 day and I spent about 10-15 hours on Mercenaries. There were some moments which tried my patience a little but in the end it really wasn't that difficult.

The 3rd Mercenary mission 'The Factory' was the worst purely because I was trying to get the full combo for that level and kill number 30, the drill guy behind the fence just wouldn't go down fast enough. Another tricky bit with Dimitrescu's daughters and figuring out the layout of that part but other than that, there isn't any part of mercenaries that is that difficult that you should stop trying to plat it if that's what you want to do. Like most things in life, practice and effort will get you there in the end.

The last 4 stages, though enemies were tougher were easier because of the low score thresholds. You really only needed a really good 1st stage then you could just survive the rest. You can even die during the stage as long as you've got enough points to hit the 'S' rank score you'll still get the rank. The last 3 probably took me about 3 of the 10-15 hours.

I mean they could of really been mean and made it SSS rank for the trophy!

Anyway, really enjoyed the game and to those thinking of quitting, it's not that bad and perfectly doable as it has a 18% plat rate on this site. 

Artty44.png

Edited by Artty44

S rank wasn't that bad for me (the last four stages were nowhere near a walk in the park though). However the trophy wasn't enough for me. I had heard about the LZ Answerer weapon being a reward for getting SS rank on every level. When I found out it was a freaking lightsaber, I knew I had to have it for my plat picture, which is where the problems started. All of the variations and both versions of Factory were insanely difficult to get SS on (they are complete BS). I would always end up with an S. I eventually got it, but my controller started drifting on my last Factory 1 run (which happened to be the successful one). I'm not sure if the controller (which I had since launch day) was just on its way out or Mercenaries SS rank was too intense for my stick to handle. I plan to go back and get the plat for the PS4 version of this game (I really enjoyed everything else about it) so I bought the DLC that unlocks everything so I don't need to worry about unlocking the lightsaber on PS4 and possibly breaking another controller. Buying those kinds of DLCs has never really been my style but I wasn't about to go and risk another controller for the game.

Don't give up, the last four stages may suck, but you can do it. S rank isn't as hard as it seems. If you're going for SS or SSS, then I hope your controller survives. 

Edited by SnakeSound222

I’ve been a pretty big Resident Evil fan since the very original PSX game. However, I’ve personally HATED every single Mercenaries Mode in every single entry it’s shown up in. That’s just me though, simply not my thing. I’ll trophy hunt everything else, but Mercs is just something I simply don’t feel like using my time to play. So yeah, giving up on this Platinum.

On a side note, does anyone know when Capcom is supposed to make RE:Verse operable? Or is there confirmation that it’s been scrapped? Wondering if I should delete it off my console?

Edited by SmileSlice
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, SmileSlice said:

I’ve been a pretty big Resident Evil fan since the very original PSX game. However, I’ve personally HATED every single Mercenaries Mode in every single entry it’s shown up in. That’s just me though, simply not my thing. I’ll trophy hunt everything else, but Mercs is just something I simply don’t feel like using my time to play. So yeah, giving up on this Platinum.

On a side note, does anyone know when Capcom is supposed to make RE:Verse operable? Or is there confirmation that it’s been scrapped? Wondering if I should delete it off my console?

RE:Verse is scheduled for a 2022 release date. I'd advise going for the platinum ASAP as I have a feeling it'll be DOA (seriously, who's going to remember that one bonus game was supposed to come with Village when it launched but got delayed twice?). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnakeSound222 said:

RE:Verse is scheduled for a 2022 release date. I'd advise going for the platinum ASAP as I have a feeling it'll be DOA (seriously, who's going to remember that one bonus game was supposed to come with Village when it launched but got delayed twice?). 

Exactly, and good point. Similarly with RE Resistance. Though that’s another platinum I don’t have a lot of interest in pursuing. It was fun for me for a few hours, but that was it.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:10 PM, PsYcHoNxVa said:

I just got the Platinum and I didn’t find it to be as difficult as others have said.

There are definitely much harder ones. I never found the mode too difficult either. Just required some practice I actually found it kinda fun.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This was very difficulty platinum for me. This version of the Mercenaries is a mess. Factory 1 and 2 almost made me insane for a couple of weeks, but give up was never an option since I want it to be my 100th platinum. I think its all about your play style. I've done trophies generally considered to be way harder than this but they, for me, weren't so difficult than this bullshit. It may be easier to others, but if you're struggling with this trophy, consider it a BIG FEAT when you finally achieve it, because for a lot of people, this is really hard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It took some tries to get the S ranks but it wasn't that bad. Factory 2 took me the longest, around 10 attempts ... Like others have said though better to go for an almost perfect run on the first bit and then just quit out you will have enough points so it was not that frustrating.

I have most of the Resident Evil plats and this one was about average for the series in terms of difficulty, the hardest RE content I have done was the End of Zoe on the hardest difficulty, now that shit was truly a test of my patience!

• 2 weeks later...

Only trophy I have left is s ranking mercs. I did three of the eight, and I know if I devoted the time to learn the spawns and watched some walkthroughs I could probably get it, but I hate playing this mode so much that I think it’s gonna be a pass for me.

I have the RE7, RE2 Remake, and RE3 Remake plats so I guess the tradition of platting the RE games ends here. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, you would be surprised at how quickly you adapt to the game if you commit to it and get to know the enemy spawns. I went back to the vanilla maps after getting the platinum and was very easily able to get the SSS rank on all of them after struggling to even get A ranks on some of them when I started. Factory II is the only map I would say is legit hard and even that one you can achieve an S rank by just getting the first area right. I respect they are annoying trophies but, guys, I believe in you.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Honestly I’m in the same boat, I’m following a triple S rank guide with no blue orbs, but I’m being grabbed through my block and getting one shot when I shouldn’t, so I gave up, I need all 4 part 2 maps but I’ll come back some other time

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DivineNocturne said:

I was one of the first people to plat it and all I can offer for those in Merc is patience in learning all the mobs and routes for S ranks using mostly handgun / shotgun for normal and shotgun / mag for hard mode

There is no shotgun in the harder stages.

Getting everything story-related, then starting Mercenaries, immediately noticing the first person in this game was not meant for fast paced shooting.

they should’ve made some adjustments to how heavy the player feel when turning or aiming. 

It is not difficult, but certainly not a pleasant at all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 7:49 AM, ChanelOberlin494 said:

I also gave up on this Platinum due to ‘Mercenaries’ which isn’t even Mercenaries but just a glorified Raid Mode.

It totally started dirtying my view on the game, which was fantastic overall, so I called it a day. Too much effort for such a trash reward. A-Ranks would’ve been acceptable for the trophy; not all S

Not even a glorified Raid Mode. It's worse than Raid Mode from both of the Revelations games.

• Like 1

I finished these up last night, and totally understand the frustrations felt by some here.

The times required on Mercenaries to maintain combos feel very frustrating, considering the number of random elements that can screw up a run.

There are multiple places where the times are so tight just getting from one enemy to another, that a single enemy managing to duke or scramble in an unusual way can destroy 20 minutes of decent progress - not to mention the fact that it's often a fight against RNGesus to give you a good set of abilities.

A few tips for those struggling:

Animals count as enemies for combo!

There is a bird on top of the first house in Mad Village II to help you keep the combo when going from the house to the gardens - and there is a Pig in the final area of Mad Village (though you should only need that for a full combo run on the first Mad Village version - see below)

Move fast.... but also slow down!

It's better to take guys out at a steady tempo, to let more spawn in each room, than to be left with none, and have to sprint from one area to another.

Leave one slow shambles alive until the end of a room if possible

Self explanatory - you want to have one last kill to keep the combo going before you mad-dash to the next area!

The best abilities are : Execution, Break shot, Out Of Reach, Lightning Speed, Agility, Corpse Combustor. (Corpse Combustor is particularly good in tight levels like The Factory - when enemies group together, an exploding regular enemy can easily kill a drill guy or blow the armour off a tough enemy. Sometimes, I've even seen the propellerhead get taken down by exploding mobs)

The best initial load out for the first 4 maps is:

Sniper Rifle.

Sell everything else.

The best initial load out for the first 4 maps is:

Upgrade Lemi to lv4 Power, lv.3 Rate of Fire, lv.2 Reload Speed

Buy Magnum.

(for some, you might also want to sell the health, and buy pipe bombs)

Once the Magnum runs out of ammo, sell it, and buy the grenade launcher - but only hit enemies with one grenade, then finish with pistol when they're stunned. (For groups, corpse combustor is your best friend - it will start a chain of explosions!)

Factory II is by far the hardest level - and you should concentrate on getting a perfect combo through the entire first section. If you do that, then you can do a crappy run on the second one, and as long as you at least get to the end of it, you will likely have a score high enough to get the S rank. 

Mad Village II is hard from the 3rd area onwards - but if you "full combo" the first and second areas, you already have an SS rank!

For the first area, take the magnum, and use it on all the big guys, and in the second, use it for the archers. Don't worry about conserving heavy artillery for the later levels - if you do well in the first 2, you don't need to do them!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Definitely postponing Mercenaries, maybe the DLC will help with it (if they add third person mode), I just can't bring myself to sit there 10 hours in a very not fun game mode. Raid was so much better because at least you could level / gear up to make S ranks much easier. It's not even a matter of being afraid of the skill-based play, but the pure tedium of this type of movement and gameplay, it was not designed for arcade play.

• Like 2

Just got SS on Factory II after way too many attempts that only scored B.

For people playing on PS5, go into options and turn off adaptive triggers. Once I did that, I was able to fire faster and more consistently, which gave me another half second or so per kill. At least four times on my run, it saved my combo.