Unable to copy PS4 saves to USB on PS5 [Errant not enough space message]

DrEvilGuapo

Given the 1000 file limit on PS+ saves, I’ve made it a routine thing to back up PS4 saves on USB.

It’s well known that you can not back up PS5 saves on USB, but the option has always been there on PS5 to move PS4 saves to USB. 

While that option is still present, it doesn’t appear to be working anymore. It now shows your USB drive as having no free space and won’t allow any PS4 saves to be copied. I’ve had two fellow PS5 owners confirm this behavior is occurring on their systems as well. 

I wonder if this was intentional or unintentional on Sony’s part. I can easily see that both ways. 

I've had issues copying saves to USB even on PS4 in the past. I find that the PS4 doesn't seem to like FAT32 file formats, but I've never had any issues copying saves to a USB stick that is formatted to ExFat. May be worth checking what format your USB stick is. Not sure if it's related or not of course though.

FWIW I believe this is a new issue. I’m aware of USB formatting needs. However, that’s not at issue here. The PS5 will allow you to copy saves from USB to PS5 and delete content off USB. This is a specific restriction on moving saves to USB. I think this was introduced with the latest firmware update on PS5. 

Edited by DrEvilGuapo

• 8 months later...

Found this thread as I was experiencing same issue yesterday. What I found was USB stick wouldn’t work, but a USB hard drive with a USB3 cord would work. 

I’ve used this USB stick in the past to transfer / save a backup of a PS4 game safe file off of my PS5, so at one point it worked. However yesterday the USB stick kept showing as full when on the screen to copy over a file to it. If viewing what is on the drive, like to copy from USB to PS5 it would show appropriate space available just not in copy to screen. 

My guess is a USB3 thumb drive might work but this one is at least and older 2 drive and maybe Sony took away ability to write to older drives. I’m going to grab a 3 from my office and bring home to test this weekend. 

• 3 weeks later...

@CommanderClif, at some point last year the issue resolved itself for me.  I should have returned to this thread and updated it when I noticed the resolution.  I've been able to back up saves to the USB drive that I was getting the false error about previously.  Good thing too because I've long ago hit the 1000 file save limit for PS+.  I do hope this is a transient issue for you; I have no idea what the root cause was.

1 hour ago, DrEvilGuapo said:

@CommanderClif, at some point last year the issue resolved itself for me.  I should have returned to this thread and updated it when I noticed the resolution.  I've been able to back up saves to the USB drive that I was getting the false error about previously.  Good thing too because I've long ago hit the 1000 file save limit for PS+.  I do hope this is a transient issue for you; I have no idea what the root cause was.

All good I didn't come back either! lol

My guess is still that USB 2.0 drives just aren't supported anymore. Both a USB 3.0 hard drive as well as a USB 3.0 thumb drive worked just fine. The only odd thing is that I formatted both Ex Fat using my Mac, when I go to access the drive it always asks me which one, there are two instances. One is very small, the other the obvious volume that is near the drives capacity. Been meaning to use a PC to format the USB thumb drive to ex fat and thinking that might fix it.