Your gaming retirement plan

DaveMcDamage

Even if I am not able to experience that same level of euphoria during my golden age of gaming (when I first got into JRPGs about 5-6 years ago), I don't think that's a reason for me to stop. Gaming is essential for me, not out of addiction but because it's a hobby. Lately, I've been struggling with learning to how "adult", getting a career, and growing up in general.. which I think is the main reason to blame for my overall decreased enjoyment and less time spent before on games. But I would never blame it on external factors, such as the industry going bad or whatever. I'll always be genuinely enjoying my time with gaming, no matter the season, and can't comprehend the idea of stopping.

I don’t plan to ever retire from gaming. I do take long breaks from gaming now and then, when I feel the need to. But I don’t see myself quitting gaming for good. That being said, I’m not certain I’ll buy a current generation console. I hate the increasing move to digital and the greediness of companies who sell a “Complete Edition” of a game that’s only complete if bought new. And don’t get me started on loot boxes/gacha mechanics. I have a huge backlog and can always upgrade my PC to play current gen games if I want. 

I have more free time right now than I’ve had in the past, and that will likely change at some point, but I don’t foresee anything in the future that would take so much of my time that I’d quit gaming for good. 

I plan on retiring, but not from gaming overall, just from new games, they just don't make games for me anymore, last year I had FF7R and Tsushima, and that's it, only games that interested me that year, this year? nothing on schedule yet, in the future? I'm interested in the continuation of Spiderman, FF7R and God Of War, I know those are coming, I know I will love them, but after that? who knows, unlike most gamers, I replay games, I love doing it, so for me gaming will come to a point where every year I will replay Arkham Knight and a few other older games and that's it pretty much, but long in the future when my PS5 breaks, if the PS6 is not backwards compatible with PS4/5 games, and there's no way for me to get a brand new system that plays those games, then I will forcefully be retired anyway, so at the end of the day, full retirement is just a matter of time for me, not because I don't love gaming itself, but I just can't get with the times, these new games really aren't made for people like me

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 0:38 AM, FFATMA said:

There is no retirement plan.  I'm going to play until I die.  I'm also not going to die, as I plan on getting a cyborg body as soon as I can to last until the Singularity occurs.  1f601.png

I hope I will die before I see that day. Seeing androids, cyborgs and robots coexist with humans will be a reality that I wish to never see in my lifetime. We're already phasing out the real world. I don't want to even think how this world will be 15 - 20 years from now.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:38 PM, LockheedPrime said:

I plan on retiring, but not from gaming overall, just from new games, they just don't make games for me anymore, last year I had FF7R and Tsushima, and that's it, only games that interested me that year, this year? nothing on schedule yet, in the future? I'm interested in the continuation of Spiderman, FF7R and God Of War, I know those are coming, I know I will love them, but after that? who knows, unlike most gamers, I replay games, I love doing it, so for me gaming will come to a point where every year I will replay Arkham Knight and a few other older games and that's it pretty much, but long in the future when my PS5 breaks, if the PS6 is not backwards compatible with PS4/5 games, and there's no way for me to get a brand new system that plays those games, then I will forcefully be retired anyway, so at the end of the day, full retirement is just a matter of time for me, not because I don't love gaming itself, but I just can't get with the times, these new games really aren't made for people like me

I'm the same. I have old ass games from Steam dating back to the 1990s, early - late 2000s and they remind me how much I adored and appreciated gaming for what it was.

As excited as I am to see gameplay footage of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, gaming as a whole no longer has that magic feel like it used to for me. There is nothing new. Everything has been done before in the past. Rift Apart is honestly a smoother, better running, more crisp version of what Ratchet & Clank 2016 already gave us five years ago on the PS4. I still think Ratchet & Clank 2016 looks good, same with Batman: Arkham Knight. I was impressed with the cutscenes in Arkham Knight, and figuring out those Riddler trophies on my own took a lot of effort and thinking.

Lately I've found myself replaying old games from 15 - 20 years ago. The late 1990s, early - late 2000s was a Golden era in gaming, every couple years there seemed to be a new game that rewrote the standards and really pushed the envelope for what a game could do. Developers weren't afraid to take risks and experimented with new things, even though a number of their games ended up being flops. The period of 1996 to roughly 2008 - 2009 in video game history was monumental. So many iconic franchises and games came out of that 10 - 12 year period.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, what I'm playing right now, has excellent graphics, a pretty okay story, and some interesting game mechanics. But it does practically nothing that games before it haven't already done. There's only two games I want to play on the PS5, Demon's Souls, and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. The former is a remake of the old 2009 original on the PS3, the latter is a continuation of a long time PlayStation franchise.

I've been gaming since the early - mid 1990s on the Sega Genesis. Being well in my 30s now, the magic feeling and looking forward to every new game just isn't there for me anymore. I used to spend hours upon hours ogling over video game magazines, being excited for all the brand new games being advertised.

Nowadays I try a new game on Steam, play it for a few hours, then never pick it up again. That's how I treat every other game at this point.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

A future that I hope will never happen.

I used to be the same mate. But I have f**ked up my life so many times and had to restart by selling everything off, that this time around I went full digital. Great sales, and even if I f**k up again and lose whatever I have left, when I picked myself up again, all those games are waiting online for me lol. 

But empty shelves in my gaff does look shit compared to the old days of movies and games being a big part of my decor. 

I get the notion of avoiding a fully digital future. We've seen the issues it can have, what with the PS3 tomfoolery and the refusal to allow for PSN backwards compatibility. But it's also hard to deny that it has it's conveniences. I'm down for a Netflix-type service for games, but I know that it will also hasten my moving on from games in general. I'm already seeing this behavior in myself with PSNow. It's nice having an easily accessible selection of title I can switch on whenever I feel like, but it just makes the pile bigger and triggers a paralysis of choice effect. It doesn't help that I'm very vulnerable to sunk cost fallacy.

I still get the odd physical these days, but it pushes me more towards getting digital every time. Every system I own has a disc drive that sounds like it's about to vomit up it's own guts in a coughing fit every time I put a disk in.

8 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I used to be the same mate. But I have f**ked up my life so many times and had to restart by selling everything off, that this time around I went full digital. Great sales, and even if I f**k up again and lose whatever I have left, when I picked myself up again, all those games are waiting online for me lol. 

But empty shelves in my gaff does look shit compared to the old days of movies and games being a big part of my decor. 

I meant the future as a whole. We’re already being detached from society. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I meant the future as a whole. We’re already being detached from society. 

Being detacthed by society isn't something a corporation or a video game collection can do, that something a mindset does/allows. You either become detached or you don't.

• Like 1

Many people on this topic (including me) sometimes just need a break. You know, sometimes you play so much and get so into something that it loses a little of the fun. It probably has some shit to do with dopamine or that stuff about brain chemistry, maybe sometimes we project everything above our hobby and hobby becomes a routine, it can happen to literally anything in life. A long break, a reflection, doing other activities until you miss gaming 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:08 PM, MidnightDragon said:

Microsoft is trying their damnedest. 

That they are.

23 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Being detacthed by society isn't something a corporation or a video game collection can do, that something a mindset does/allows. You either become detached or you don't.

There's a lot more to this than just a few vague comments, but what I'm merely saying is there's no escaping an electronic screen.

No such thing as Retirement anymore heh

I see a game that looks interesting I play it, sadly some games that were looking great end up not exactly how I wanted so I take a break or when in mood I'll play it again.  

Of course I grew out of certain types of games that I once enjoyed now finding myself stubborn on trying things that may be fun even if it doesn't look fun.

I accepted how consoles and handhelds have dwindled.

I see Early Access being a hindrance but some I put 1,000 hours into so maybe not so bad.

I hate digital services as much as the next guy, I prefer paying a monthly fee on the least amount of things even if I do own assets. I hate subscribing to things that I'll only use for a period of time.

Mobile and Flash games can be fun & addicting but overall I do dislike Advertisements.

I see many complain about software and hardware not being what they hoped. My only advice strive for yourself or a group to make what you hoped. However, that would take time and effort. Games are not my only entertainment but I don't see it as retirement if I stopped. 

Like Dave McDamage, I am an 80's kid. I am 40 yrs old and have been gaming since the C64, ever since I played my 1st game Choplifter (good memories). For me personally gaming has been a part of life, since I first put in that 1st floppy disk (s) to load up the game, that made me want to play more. To me it is a hobby that I still enjoy today, over the years there have been many leap & bounds with the technology, that has kept me interested in playing. Watching the gaming industry evolve from an 8 bit game, where you could not save the game, to playing an game in 4k quality and having instant load times, make me think what's next & I want to be a part of it. 

As I am an hard core type gamer, it will be quite a long time before I retire from gaming itself. It is more then an hobby for me, yes I have loads of fun, but it helps my mental health and it has save my life or uplifted my mood in a time in my life, where I needed it the most. I have played so many games, that each one has granted me a sense of enjoyment and I hope I keep on gaming for 30+ years. I will most probably retire before then, because I will be 70, doubt I would have the reflexes to hold a controller, let alone play them at that age. I do take breaks every now and again, as I got a dog to walk and a life to lead, but at this point in time, I still enjoy gaming and hope I'll be playing for many generations to come.

Won't retire from gaming. Have had several long breaks in the past depending on how busy I am at that point. Like a few here, I may consider to stop going forward with future generations of systems depending on how things change though, but I'd just play older stuff. 

To anybody in the thread, who thinks they are too old or will get too old. My Grandad plays video games, he's in his 80s. I remember setting up Sniper Elite 4 for him, and was going to select the difficulty. I went to put it on easy, however he said he wanted to play it on hard. No nonsense.

He's finished MGS 5, Far Cry games and various other games over the years. Pretty impressive for a old guy!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kfree7 said:

My gaming retirement play is part of my regular retirement play.

Retire then game during retirement.  

1f609.png

Bloody hell lad! Used to see you on the other trophy site a lot from a few years back. I went by Brako and DaveEyeCandy and all sorts over the years, but good to see you here man. Hope you're well and enjoying the game-idge. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Bloody hell lad! Used to see you on the other trophy site a lot from a few years back. I went by Brako and DaveEyeCandy and all sorts over the years, but good to see you here man. Hope you're well and enjoying the game-idge. 

Well Thanks Dave!!!  I do remember the EyeCandy.  

What is your retirement plan from gaming Dave?

What did you think of mine.

• 1 month later...

I've always loved gaming and it's been one of my favorite pastimes for well over 30 years now.  My retirement plan for it is when I die lol there have been lots of great games over the years that have given me great memories and experiences, both in game and with the people I played them with.  But there are new great games and experiences happening all the time as well, so for me I have no intention of ever hanging up my controller.

I still achieve personal goals and am pretty busy outside of gaming, but that just makes me appreciate the gaming time I get even more, especially when it's having fun with friends and family.  My gf, brother and several close friends all game, and we have great fun playing things together, but I also have great fun playing by myself or with strangers online.  As long as you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life!

Edited by felatio_deltoro
  • Like 1