Baker’s Final March

Baker

24 minutes ago, Baker121 said:

Well there are a lot of better JRPGs out there than this one. I highly recommend Tales of, especially Berseria and Vesperia, or the Ys series. Or you can join me with Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne 1f601.png.

I appreciate the hot tips there my friend, I may take you up on that offer! Looks like I have some research to do here on my end ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HusKy said:

You are not supposed to be playing TLoU2 Baker :D

I’m just giving you a head start Husky ?.

Edited by Baker121
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: #297+100%

La12bae.png

The Last of Us Part II

Enjoyment: 4/10

Difficulty: -

Playtime: 50 hours

*SPOILERS*

As always I’m late to the party when it comes to big AAA titles as I ‘never’ buy games on release. So the story was spoiled for me for the most part, but I was still looking forward to playing this.

Now when the game came out there was a lot of discussion about it. Many felt the game was shit and they ruined the characters, others thought it was better than the original. Unfortunately I fall into the former camp. I hated the story.

The Last of Us was an incredible game mostly for the fact it told an amazing story with great character building. The gameplay was alright.

Now onto Part II, where in the prologue of the game Joel gets brutally beaten to death by a big muscular boy with a ponytail and a female voice named Abbot. Maybe fair, because Joel killed Abbot’s father, not to mention many others. Ofcourse this doesn’t sit well with Ellie, who witnessed the murder, and in the 4 years since the last game has grown up into a fine lesbian psycho killer. So she sets out for revenge. After playing 1/3 of the game as Ellie and 1/3 of the game as Abbot, Abbot actually wins but decides to let Ellie go because her girlfriend is pregnant. Still having nightmares about Joel’s death Ellie decides to go on the hunt for Abbot again, this time she wins, but decides to let him go for reasons unknown to me. Really, wtf. The whole story was so incredibly boring and nonsensical to me.

Now was this game all that bad? No. The gameplay has improved a bit, and there were some great chapters to play through. Also many mind numbingly boring ones, especially the flashback chapters, but I had my fun with it.

Let’s just forget this story exists and hopefully Naughty Dog can redeem themselves if there ever comes a Part III.

Onto the next game. It’s time to give Ys Origin another good attempt.

Edited by Baker121
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Baker121 said:

:platinum: #297+100%

La12bae.png

The Last of Us Part II

Enjoyment: 4/10

Difficulty: -

Playtime: 50 hours

*SPOILERS*

As always I’m late to the party when it comes to big AAA titles as I ‘never’ buy games on release. So the story was spoiled for me for the most part, but I was still looking forward to playing this.

Now when the game came out there was a lot of discussion about it. Many felt the game was shit and they ruined the characters, others thought it was better than the original. Unfortunately I fall into the former camp. I hated the story.

The Last of Us was an incredible game mostly for the fact it told an amazing story with great character building. The gameplay was alright.

Now onto Part II, where in the prologue of the game Joel gets brutally beaten to death by a big muscular boy with a ponytail and a female voice named Abbot. Maybe fair, because Joel killed Abbot’s father, not to mention many others. Ofcourse this doesn’t sit well with Ellie, who witnessed the murder, and in the 4 years since the last game has grown up into a fine lesbian psycho killer. So she sets out for revenge. After playing 1/3 of the game as Ellie and 1/3 of the game as Abbot, Abbot actually wins but decides to let Ellie go because her girlfriend is pregnant. Still having nightmares about Joel’s death Ellie decides to go on the hunt for Abbot again, this time she wins, but decides to let him go for reasons unknown to me. Really, wtf. The whole story was so incredibly boring to me.

Now was this game all that bad? No. The gameplay has improved a bit, and there were some great chapters to play through. Also many mind numbingly boring ones, especially the flashback chapters, but I had my fun with it.

Let’s just forget this story exists and hopefully Naughty Dog can redeem themselves if there ever comes a Part III.

Onto the next game. It’s time to give Ys Origin another good attempt.

4/10 that's kinda high :P

congrats though!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Baker121 said:

Now onto Part II...

This section of your review had me in kinks..

I personally really enjoyed TLOU II but still appreciate it when someone else doesn’t, and can write a review without taking things too seriously, especially making it funny. I can’t remember who it was but someone did the same with Shadow of the Colossus in their checklist and it really makes for some good night time reading xD

• Like 1

On 12-7-2021 at 5:46 PM, Deluziion90 said:

Congrats on the platinum! Last of us 2.. Great gameplay, great graphics pretty much great all the way.. But some things they did in the story it's really not my greatest game. Having it borrowed is a big win though. Shouldn't take more then a week to platinum.

You were spot on with this comment. I felt the same. It also took me exactly a week ?.

8 minutes ago, Eqill5 said:

This section of your review had me in kinks..

I personally really enjoyed TLOU II but still appreciate it when someone else doesn’t, and can write a review without taking things too seriously, especially making it funny. I can’t remember who it was but someone did the same with Shadow of the Colossus in their checklist and it really makes for some good night time reading xD

Luckily you see it as it is. A joke on one of the protagonists that looked like the 90’s female pro wrestler Chyna, may she rest in peace. You have to be careful on PSNP nowadays because posts get reported and deleted quickly.

Edited by Baker121
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Baker121 said:

Luckily you see it as it is. A joke on one of the protagonists that looked like the 90’s female pro wrestler Chyna, may she rest in peace. You have to be careful on PSNP nowadays because posts get reported and deleted quickly.

Which I find sad because we're all grown people on this website. I'm not going to go over the rules, but this past year I've seen several posts from people that were effectively harmless, but were deleted anyway because "reasons".

• Like 1

Aside from Super Meat Boy, I would also pick Star Ocean: The Last Hope International as one of your most impressive. 

I wouldn’t have the guts in me to do it. Couldn’t imagine being 300 hours in only to find I missed out on something. I would quit trophy hunting for several months.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Aside from Super Meat Boy, I would also pick Star Ocean: The Last Hope International as one of your most impressive. 

I wouldn’t have the guts in me to do it. Couldn’t imagine being 300 hours in only to find I missed out on something. I would quit trophy hunting for several months.

Well there is no way you can be 300 hours in and missed something. Once you reach post game content, nothing is missable anymore. If you know what to do and mastered the boss battles and battle system you can speedrun through it in 10-12 hours. My Chaos run took me 11 hours. So it isn’t as bad as it sounds.

I really don’t think of SMB as one of my proudest. It’s not an easy game, but I’ve done harder stuff in games you wouldn’t expect. Which will be my next story, so check back in a month from now ?.

47 minutes ago, Baker121 said:

I really don’t think of SMB as one of my proudest. It’s not an easy game, but I’ve done harder stuff in games you wouldn’t expect. Which will be my next story, so check back in a month from now 1f601.png.

The trophy rarities are completely off for Super Meat Boy, but that’s besides the point. 

Your account is still better than most. It’s pretty impressive that you have no stacks on your profile. I have enough stacks to account for over 2000 trophies. Realistically, my unique trophy count lies somewhere around 11,200 - 11,500 trophies. 

• Like 1

Hey @Baker121 I dig the Throwback Thursday! Also, great pick for the first "nostalgic review" :) I understand why you told me that this game isn't for me (or, rather, my current RL situation ?). Still, it sounds like something I would have enjoyed a couple of years ago. I loved to just sit and relax while grinding anything... Or have my gf grind levels for me in some Final Fantasy ?

Looking forward to the next post! 

P.S. @AJ_Radio I don't think he was talking about the trophy rarities. The game just isn't as brutally hard for everyone. If I remember correctly he also rated it a 8/10, and there are multiple games on his profile that I know he rated higher. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

Well that's one game I'm never even going to consider. Grinding DB:FighterZ took me a full week of doing the same over and over for 8-10hrs each day and that's probably the last insane grind I'll ever do. I don't mind grinding but everything over 20hrs is a no go for me these days ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Hey @Baker121 I dig the Throwback Thursday! Also, great pick for the first "nostalgic review" :) I understand why you told me that this game isn't for me (or, rather, my current RL situation 1f605.png). Still, it sounds like something I would have enjoyed a couple of years ago. I loved to just sit and relax while grinding anything... Or have my gf grind levels for me in some Final Fantasy 1f602.png

Looking forward to the next post! 

Thanks.

You know, this game has been around for so long, there is now much more information about it and you can cut down playing time immensely. I know madman @dertswa687o completed this game 4 times, and I think he completed this game in 250 hours.

Also, and I know your not a fan of it, but because of remote play on PS4 you can just let the grinding be done for you. This would be a great addition to your trophy list. And if you’re looking for a JRPG, why not go for the king of them all ?.

Edited by Baker121
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baker121 said:

How I would love to see that game hit the PSN store one day. We can only hope..

I think it will - not doing so is simply leaving money on the table - I might be being naively optimistic, but I genuinely do think that one day were will have a platinum trophy in our lists for both Chronotrigger, and FFVI.

(I'd personally like Illusion of Gaia too - but that one I have no hope for!)

• Like 3

I'm not sure about Chronotrigger, but remasters of FF I - III are releasing in five days, with IV - VI releasing later this year (Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster). So far they are only coming to Steam (and mobile..?), but Square has stated that whether they will also hit consoles depends on demand... 

It's up to us guys! ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baker121 said:

You know, this game has been around for so long, there is now much more information about it and you can cut down playing time immensely. I know the madman @dertswa687o completed this game 4 times, and I think he completed this game in 250 hours.

Honestly there hasn't really been any new information for the game for a long time. I think most people just make mistakes that add a bunch of time, with by far the biggest one being not combining Edge's 30k kills and Faize's 3k battles. Some people also try to work on quests and item creation before getting duplication which adds a lot of unnecessary farming. My first completion of the game took me 350 hours and I was only able to cut it down to 230 hours by knowing the best order to do things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dertswa687o said:

Honestly there hasn't really been any new information for the game for a long time. I think most people just make mistakes that add a bunch of time, with by far the biggest one being not combining Edge's 30k kills and Faize's 3k battles. Some people also try to work on quests and item creation before getting duplication which adds a lot of unnecessary farming. My first completion of the game took me 350 hours and I was only able to cut it down to 230 hours by knowing the best order to do things.

I may or may not be that sucker who went all in on crafting and questing before post game xD

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 3:39 AM, Baker said:

How I would love to see that game hit the PSN store one day. We can only hope..

On 7/23/2021 at 3:43 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

I think it will - not doing so is simply leaving money on the table - I might be being naively optimistic, but I genuinely do think that one day were will have a platinum trophy in our lists for both Chronotrigger, and FFVI.

(I'd personally like Illusion of Gaia too - but that one I have no hope for!)

Square Enix seems rather hesitant to release their old games for some reason. Everything before Final Fantasy VII either doesn't exist or is a mere afterthought in their eyes.

Chrono Trigger is still my favorite JRPG of all time. One of the few RPGs I actually got into on the Super Nintendo just when Nintendo was starting to discontinue it. I will literally piss my pants when these games get trophy support.

• Like 1