Baker’s Final March

Baker

1 hour ago, KindaSabbath said:

Top notch write up mate! Glad you enjoyed your time with an old favourite! I've criminally never played a JRPG before. Maybe I'll give one a go some day! 

Thanks. JRPG’s are not for everyone though. So maybe do some research before starting one. I started gaming in the golden era of JRPG’s: Late 90’s, early 2000’s. And this genre just hooked me and never let me go. ?

21 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

You’re going pretty hard and fast again on those platinums, nice!

Congrats on 3011f3c6.png

I have. ? I’m kind of burned out by gaming at the moment. Looking at my backlog there is just nothing I want to start at the moment. I think I’ll take a little break of a week or something.

And since I know you loved Persona 5. You should really consider picking this game up. 

Persona is a spin off of Shin Megami Tensei. Unfortunately Persona has become more popular than the original series, which I personally think are much better. There hasn’t been a new SMT for a long time. But.. finally.. SMT V is coming to Switch soon. And it looks amazing. I can only hope it’s a timed exclusive and they bring it to Playstation. 

Edited by Baker
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baker said:

Thanks. JRPG’s are not for everyone though. So maybe do some research before starting one. I started gaming in the golden era of JRPG’s: Late 90’s, early 2000’s. And this genre just hooked me and never let me go. 1f602.png

Yeah I totally understand that and I don't really know much regarding that style of game. I'll definitely have a look and likely pick one to give a go, just to try something new.

Fuck man, late 90's/early 2000's was just a golden era of games in general. I was playing Tony Hawks, Crazy Taxi, Resident Evil, Crash Badicoot, Starfox, Shenmue... just to name a few. Good times my dude!

• Like 2

@DrBloodmoney I know Invisible Inc. is at the top of your scientific checklist. But I’m hearing some mixed reviews about this as I asked for some other opinions. So I’m not too sure if I will like this. But then again, because of you I also picked up Prey, and that game was awesome. So I’m going to play it. Not sure when, but hopefully before the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

I would not go for Wuppo. I would play Wuppo, sure, but you can pick it up on sale for like 1.5€... Not the best use of your 1€ subscription 1f605.png

From that list... I would probably go with Raiden V :) 

For times like these I have a test account. And after playing Wuppo for one minute I happily deleted it already. ? Definitely not for me. And the same can be said for Superhot. Wild Arms 3 will take too long to complete. So..

Yeah, I think I go with Raiden V. I love me a good shmup. And I’m going to test out The Raven too. Could be a fun story driven game. I know I’ll like Styx because I enjoyed the first one. But I also don’t want to fill my profile with these games I’m semi interested in. The plan is still to quit at 400 games, and there are plenty of other games left I’d rather play.

Surprise! Another change of plans. ? I decided to just take the €1 loss and not play anything from Ps Now.

Instead I’m really going to focus on Wolfenstein II. I’ve been postponing and making excuses for so long now. Yesterday I’ve played through the game and set up my 13 practice saves. The plan ?, is to practice one of these sections everyday, so I should be ready to start Mein Leben runs in about two weeks.

One thing that could be really demotivating: The game crashed for me again when trying to reattach Fergus his arm. That’s literally at the end of the game, just before starting the final level. I need to figure out why it crashes there for me, as a year ago when playing through I Am Death Incarnate it crashed over ten times there. This time only once, but I can’t have that happening when doing Mein Leben runs ofcourse. Once I’m ready, I’m thinking about streaming my runs. Something I’ve never done before.

And I’ve bought Valkyria Chronicles 4. Something to play in between practice sessions. Also looking forward to playing that game.

• Like 4

Good luck with Mein Leben! It's a tough one for sure, but given the other games you've completed, and especially how close you are to completing Wolfenstein II in general, you'll get it done. It sucks that you've encountered crashes, they just always happen at the absolute worst moments! ?
It's good that you've also got VC4 on your hands in between the grind, it's really helpful to have something to alleviate the pace and shake it up a bit. Keep it up!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Good luck with Mein Leben! It's a tough one for sure, but given the other games you've completed, and especially how close you are to completing Wolfenstein II in general, you'll get it done. It sucks that you've encountered crashes, they just always happen at the absolute worst moments! 1f605.png
It's good that you've also got VC4 on your hands in between the grind, it's really helpful to have something to alleviate the pace and shake it up a bit. Keep it up!

Thanks.

Wolfenstein II is in terms of actual difficulty not a hard game. But it takes a lot of watching video’s to actually know how to minimise risk, as you can die within one second. And watching video guides and doing a lot of research is just something I hate to do. Luckily @HusKy laid out all the groundwork for me in terms of research in our little Mein Leben support group, and I’ve been watching his streams. In fact he’s attempting Mein Leben right now so I’m watching again. I try to memorise as much as possible. 

Once practice is over it’s just keeping your nerves and having a lucky run, I think. Which might be a problem because I choke a lot when attempting difficult things. It would be annoying to die multiple times when you’re three hours into the run. I just hope it doesn’t take me many runs. Anything under 20 attempts I would be happy with.

And the crashes. We’ve come to the conclusion my PS4 is cursed. ?

• Like 2

On 22/08/2021 at 2:48 PM, Baker said:

I choke a lot when attempting difficult things. It would be annoying to die multiple times when you’re three hours into the run. I just hope it doesn’t take me many runs. Anything under 20 attempts I would be happy with.

Bro, I'm finding out that I have this problem too! Choking something that takes 2 minutes on a slow run. ? I can't wait for Mein Leiben!! Lmao. You're a beast though, you'll get it in under 20! I'm calling it now, under 10 no problem! 

• Like 1

That was a very interesting write-up, @Baker :) You have comea long way, it seems! 

I had never played online with randoms or initially-randoms-soon-to-be-friends... I didn't even create an online account for the X360, it was just not something that I even thought about... I have always been about single player games, the exception being Diablo 2, where I would join whatever server if my friends were not online. 

Which is also why I appreciate what we have going on here. The different constellations of people tackling different games together. I didn't think I would enjoy playing like this as much as I actually do! 

Looking forward to getting to our next coop-game soon! 

• Like 2

The Black Ops II 100% is definitely awesome to have, especially since it's no longer obtainable on a new profile. Good thing you got the Big Leagues trophy in 2012! ?
You once didn't join with other players, but here you are talking with all of us now! ? It's great how each game on a profile tells a story, the progression from COD Black Ops II, to Dante's Inferno, to Uncharted 3 all have you experiencing different things and you're now who you are today making this checklist and sharing it with all of us. Good stuff!

• Like 3

Great review! It's cool how there's an emphasis on being tactical between the offence and defence by protecting your own base as well, good to see you enjoyed it! ?

I also see Black Ops 4 on your profile as well, nice! I gotta ask, is doing hard games just another regular Monday to you, or do you feel anxious whenever you start one? ? 
When I started GT Sport, I felt sort of imposed by what was in store, but what’s your take on such games? 

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Great review! It's cool how there's an emphasis on being tactical between the offence and defence by protecting your own base as well, good to see you enjoyed it! 1f600.png

I also see Black Ops 4 on your profile as well, nice! I gotta ask, is doing hard games just another regular Monday to you, or do you feel anxious whenever you start one? 1f605.png 
When I started GT Sport, I felt sort of imposed by what was in store, but what’s your take on such games? 

Thanks.

I don’t play a lot of hard games. All my hard games are nicely tucked away in my backlog, where some have been sitting for years now. I always want to start them, but then I change my mind and play something more relaxing. ?

A couple of years ago I just popped a trophy in all of my hard games so I was forcing myself to play them. I’m thinking of doing that again.

And I don’t feel anxious at all. Unless there is some possible online server shutdown for games. I actually owned GT Sport too, I got it for free when buying a controller, but decided against playing it because it’s online. And this is why I also decided against playing Rayman Legends for example, even though I loved Rayman Origins. I could have finished that game years ago by now. ?

Edited by Baker
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Baker said:

A couple of years ago I just popped a trophy in all of my hard games so I was forcing myself to play them. I’m thinking of doing that again.

That's a good way of looking at it; it's sort of like first dipping into a pool and worrying about it being cold, but then you get used to it when you fully go in, popping a first trophy in a hard game is the same. When you start a hard game and you've got a trophy on it, there's the option of either having it done or not having it done and it's good to have just two definitive outcomes. The sort of feeling like "Well it's here now, I may as well do my best and see how it goes." The hardest games always end up being the most fondest completions, as you feel like you've overcome a great challenge. There's a ton of games I cherish, but when it comes to those true challenges that break the mold-- to games like GT Sport for me, or Star Ocean: The Last Hope International to you-- you just look at these particular completions like you really pushed further!

29 minutes ago, Baker said:

And this is why I also decided against playing Rayman Legends for example, even though I loved Rayman Origins. I could have finished that game years ago by now. 1f602.png

Ah man, I've REALLY been wanting to play Rayman Legends! But knowing the online takes literal months, and given my luck, Ubisoft would probably shut down the servers midway through the grind. I wanna kick my past self for not starting it back in 2019!!! There's no guarantee they'd give a shutdown warning months in advance, they'd probably just announce it when there's no time left to get the trophy which sucks. ?

• Like 3

Don't let @Baker lie to you... He has definitely completed some tough as nails games but I think is just trying to be modest! Then again, difficulty is all relative to the specific person anyway.

Maybe some of those games you have done that others consider challenging weren't even really hard to you. Like for me SMB didn't seem like nearly as difficult as many make it out to be!! With that being said, the first time I played through Cotton Alley I thought I would never be able to get through unscathed. Mayhaps it's just that some ppl can't be arsed to put in the work to git gud ??

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Joe Dubz said:

Don't let @Baker lie to you... He has definitely completed some tough as nails games but I think is just trying to be modest! Then again, difficulty is all relative to the specific person anyway.

Maybe some of those games you have done that others consider challenging weren't even really hard to you. Like for me SMB didn't seem like nearly as difficult as many make it out to be!! With that being said, the first time I played through Cotton Alley I thought I would never be able to get through unscathed. Mayhaps it's just that some ppl can't be arsed to put in the work to git gud 1f914.png1f61d.png

I’m actually not trying to be modest at all. I completed a couple of games which I thought were hard for sure. And I think the general consensus is that those were hard games. 

But those can be counted on two hands. So that’s really nothing if you look at the amount of games I’ve played. But that’s fine with me. I just play games I enjoy. And most of the time those are long, easy games. ?

I agree with SMB. It’s still a hard game, but definitely overrated in terms of difficulty imo. Not a single time I thought the game was kicking my ass. It just takes some practice and dedication.

• Like 4

I think that's the big thing though @Baker if you only play games you enjoy then surely it makes the harder ones not seem so hard? Putting in the extra effort is not that big of an ask, if you enjoy your time with a game. I noticed on Rising that you had times/medals on many things that weren't required for trophies. I know it's not as good as Fusion but clearly, you enjoyed the game enough to spend more time on it then what's required for trophy completion.

But that's the thing though. One of the reasons I find your profile so impressive: you're a gamer first, trophy hunter second. That is very much how I'm going about my own profile, too!

You've still done some ridiculous games though ?, so take the well earned credit. 

I need to play meat boy. Its reputation is intriguing to me!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

I think that's the big thing though @Baker if you only play games you enjoy then surely it makes the harder ones not seem so hard? Putting in the extra effort is not that big of an ask, if you enjoy your time with a game. I noticed on Rising that you had times/medals on many things that weren't required for trophies. I know it's not as good as Fusion but clearly, you enjoyed the game enough to spend more time on it then what's required for trophy completion.

But that's the thing though. One of the reasons I find your profile so impressive: you're a gamer first, trophy hunter second. That is very much how I'm going about my own profile, too!

You've still done some ridiculous games though 1f601.png, so take the well earned credit. 

I need to play meat boy. Its reputation is intriguing to me!

Well in Rising I actually played a lot of contracts because it annoyed me the world map was so cluttered. ? I just wanted to clean that up. And I think I almost completed them all. I just had a few very tough ones left. 

I’m definitely a gamer first, trophy hunter second.

SMB is a fun, good platformer. Go for it!

Edited by Baker
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Baker said:

But that’s fine with me. I just play games I enjoy.

1 hour ago, KindaSabbath said:

I think that's the big thing though @Baker if you only play games you enjoy then surely it makes the harder ones not seem so hard? Putting in the extra effort is not that big of an ask, if you enjoy your time with a game.

I think these 2 statements speak volumes!! Maybe that's part of the trick, something that is extremely challenging or complex will feel like much less of a chore if you really enjoy it. That's how it feels retrospectively for me when it comes to harder stuff I've done.

• Like 4