Trophy Thoughts

On 5/28/2021 at 4:10 AM, PhantomFear94 said:

Slightly controversional - and admittedly slightly speculative (although not baseless, 2 people platinumed R&C:RA without guides in <2 days already). However, I've been disappointed with Sony's prices recently, I'd call it arrogance even. I feel that £70 for this game is a complete rip-off. I don’t neccesarily equate hours to value, a game can be amazing but short, or boring and long. However, there needs to be a balance between the cost vs. reward. I can’t see Ratchet & Clank being much more than 30 hours at a maximum even if you aren't a trophy hunter, or overly efficient. My instinct is it'll be around 15-25 hours for those intending to platinum, whether you use a roadmap or not. If so, £70 would be a real kick to the teeth. I'm fortunate where I earn a good wage, but for a lot of people games are simply going to become too expensive once again.

It's even worse if you live in Canada or Australia, where you have to pay a premium for new PS5 games. People loved to complain about games being at $59.99 here in the United States, in Canada they had to pay even more. That $10 increase for new PS5 games is a very noticeable jump.

My advice for anyone who is on the fence for this game is to just wait. Right now I can rent Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales on a free 1-month trial thru GameFly, on an existing account I just need to pay $5 - 10 a month, complete the game, and return it. Definitely sounds a lot better than paying $49.99 for the game digitally, or $69.99 if I want the Ultimate Edition. PS Now is another option too, you can stream or download PS4 games for cheaper, I'm pretty sure Miles Morales is on there. The only trade off is I don't have the game for myself, but I will make the argument that digital is really a glorified rental service, due to needing an account to access digital content.

The Order: 1886 was even more of a ripoff. At least Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has actual good gameplay. If it's anything like Ratchet & Clank 2016 was then this will be a 15 - 20 hour platinum. However I don't see anything that suggests you need to do a Challenge Mode playthrough, and you clearly don't need to find all the Gold Bolts. Previous games had you collecting all of them for a trophy.

Edited by AJ_Radio

On 2021. 05. 26. at 3:13 PM, RuancarloSilva said:

You guys will be fine with guides on Day One. The bears are a pain to find. 

I see you got the platinum trophy really fast. Is the game that really short? How many planets there are in the game?

The PS5 sony AAA stuff is getting easier and easier it seems.

First we got Astro's Playroom. Can't consider it AAA but it's easy and PS5.

Spider man Miles morales which was also very easy. NG+ could be done in 2.5hrs 

Sackboy was a max of 3/10 except for one trophy. I remember having massive problems with little big planet 3 compared to this one.

I'm really curious how they are going to handle the new Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok.

Not complaining though I like my stuff 100% and I don't really care if it's hard or easy as long as I'm enjoying myself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deluziion90 said:

The PS5 sony AAA stuff is getting easier and easier it seems.

First we got Astro's Playroom. Can't consider it AAA but it's easy and PS5.

Spider man Miles morales which was also very easy. NG+ could be done in 2.5hrs 

Sackboy was a max of 3/10 except for one trophy. I remember having massive problems with little big planet 3 compared to this one.

I'm really curious how they are going to handle the new Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok.

Not complaining though I like my stuff 100% and I don't really care if it's hard or easy as long as I'm enjoying myself.

Then there is Returnal.... ?

Personally I hope they stay easy, simple and straightforward, I'm too lazy these days to grind for hundreds of hours or smash controllers (BS difficulty) on my way to a BS trophy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fr_0zt said:

Then there is Returnal.... ?

Personally I hope they stay easy, simple and straightforward, I'm too lazy these days to grind for hundreds of hours or smash controllers (BS difficulty) on my way to a BS trophy. 

Well I didn't want to be that asshole and claim it easy but I got that platinum in 14 or 15 deaths total so I would list that as easy as well. But I can understand a lot of people have trouble with that annoying game :P 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 7:09 AM, AJ Maciejewski said:

Don't think so. We haven't received our review copy yet. Most of the folks who have trophies seem to be in Asia.

Review copies went out in May, that's how I got my plat by the 26th

Edited by hash_braun

PowerPyx’s guide states 10 hours to Platinum even with watching all cutscenes:

https://www.powerpyx.com/ratchet-clank-rift-apart-trophy-guide-roadmap/

So it seems like this is a much shorter, faster and easier Platinum than the others. If the guide is accurate and roughly takes 10 hours, it’s not well worth the price at £70 so I just might pass until it’s cheaper. Was hoping to make this my 900th but we’ll see.

Im regards to the trophy images, they’re not so bad. I like the simplicity. Yeah they’re mostly in bolts and gears but i expected nothing less from R&C trophies but some of the titles are kind of funky and sort of out there which is a good thing ?

28 minutes ago, ShahinMiah said:

PowerPyx’s guide states 10 hours to Platinum even with watching all cutscenes

They also said 30 hours for Returnal's story and 50-100+ hours for the platinum, took me 25 hours and a few of those hours were me wasting time in Biome 4.

Granted if you follow a guide and speed run everything like they would be 10 hours probably wouldn't be an issue but everything I've seen in other reviews suggests closer to 15-20 hours for the platinum.

Also the whole this isn't long enough for full price thing is one of my biggest peeves, it's that sort of thinking that gets us bloated repetitive games that are a chore to complete. Sometimes short and concise is much more enjoyable, much easier to do a full replay as well.

Edited by AusLeviathan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

They also said 30 hours for Returnal's story and 50-100+ hours for the platinum, took me 25 hours and a few of those hours were me wasting time in Biome 4.

Granted if you follow a guide and speed run everything like they would be 10 hours probably wouldn't be an issue but everything I've seen in other reviews suggests closer to 15-20 hours for the platinum.

Also the whole this isn't long enough for full price thing is one of my biggest peeves, it's that sort of thinking that gets us bloated repetitive games that are a chore to complete. Sometimes short and concise is much more enjoyable, much easier to do a full replay as well.

Well, Returnal's Platinum is highly dependent on luck AND skill so what takes you 25 hours might take somebody else 50 or more. 

I do agree on your second point though. 10-20 hours of fun or 50+ of bloat ala AC: Valhalla? I'll support the 10-20 quality Plat any day. I plan on taking my time with game so I'll probably end up in the 15-20 hour range. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShahinMiah said:

And then you get people like me that’s part of the mad minority enjoying and supporting everything we play 1f606.png despite the 100 hour Platinum for AC Valhalla, I really enjoyed all of it. Devs have my full support whether the game they make is 20 hours or 100 hours. So long as I enjoy it, it’s all good 

How dare you enjoy the games you play!

I demand you stop that immediately!

• Like 4

On 2021-05-30 at 3:38 AM, AJ_Radio said:

It's even worse if you live in Canada or Australia, where you have to pay a premium for new PS5 games. People loved to complain about games being at $59.99 here in the United States, in Canada they had to pay even more. That $10 increase for new PS5 games is a very noticeable jump.

Where I live new games typically cost about 100$ for standard editions and I have no problem paying that much. If it's a game that interests me and the devs delivered then im perfectly fine buying at full price with the only exception being if the game is extremely short. Gaming is a rather cheap hobby when you look at how much you're actually getting for the price, ain't too many hobbies where you can spend 70$ and get anywhere from 20 to 200 hours worth. 

Not only do they cost a fortune to be made but also require years of hard work we can't expect high quality games and not want to support them especially the single player only ones with no micro transactions or monetization. 

When games are open world with a lot more content = unnecessarily long or padded to extend play time and then the ones that arent as open thus making them shorter = Too short and not worth the money... Can't please everyone I guess.

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ShahinMiah said:

And then you get people like me that’s part of the mad minority enjoying and supporting everything we play 1f606.png despite the 100 hour Platinum for AC Valhalla, I really enjoyed all of it. Devs have my full support whether the game they make is 20 hours or 100 hours. So long as I enjoy it, it’s all good 

I totally agree with you. My playtime in AC Valhalla is 218 hours and I loved every minute of it, but I like short games just as much, it all depends if I enjoy a game (the length doesn't really matter to me). I can't wait to play Ratchet & Clank tomorrow.

Edited by anotherfangirl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Where I live new games typically cost about 100$ for standard editions and I have no problem paying that much. If it's a game that interests me and the devs delivered then im perfectly fine buying at full price with the only exception being if the game is extremely short. Gaming is a rather cheap hobby when you look at how much you're actually getting for the price, ain't too many hobbies where you can spend 70$ and get anywhere from 20 to 200 hours worth. 

Not only do they cost a fortune to be made but also require years of hard work we can't expect high quality games and not want to support them especially the single player only ones with no micro transactions or monetization. 

When games are open world with a lot more content = unnecessarily long or padded to extend play time and then the ones that arent as open thus making them shorter = Too short and not worth the money... Can't please everyone I guess.

I have to disagree. 

For most, gaming probably isn’t an expensive hobby. Most people just buy the next Call of Duty, Madden or whatever with their friends, and move on. 

I already spent thousands on Sony products going back to the PS2 era, but looking back I have to say I’ve enjoyed the variety and selection. 

I was already the minority before achievements even existed. I used to try to get all the unlockables in the original God of War. It was very difficult, because playing on the hardest setting is no joke. Unlocking videos of developers commenting of their games was something I loved seeing. 

Today, you can guarantee these unlockables are basically a paywall. The times have changed. What used to be unlocked through natural game progression is now something you have to pay more money for. Ubisoft always shoved down deals on people’s throats. Every time I start up Assassins Creed Odyssey I’m reminded to look at Valhalla because every Ubisoft game has in-game advertising. Don’t get me started on the time saver packs, or the mostly worthless cosmetics you have to pay money for. 

In the old days games cost more per dollar. Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time we’re not cheap, but once you got the games, that was it. The big problem games had back then was if the game was crap, you were stuck with it. The only games that would get patches were PC only games, but most kids did not have that luxury of playing on a PC. 

Going back to topic, I still think The Order 1886 did a good job in what it was trying to do. It was mostly blasted for the price tag. For $20 - 30, sure. But not for $60.

Edited by AJ_Radio