It's time to kill Chaos

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/rumor-square-enix-set-to-announce-a-new-action-rpg-final-fantasy-spinoff/

The rumor states that Square Enix is working with Team Ninja, Koei Tecmo’s in-house development team behind games like Ninja Gaiden, Nioh, and perhaps most relevantly the latest entry in the Final Fantasy fighting game series Dissidia NT. The posted rumors go on further by assigning the game a genre, something akin to Nioh or the Souls games, and suggesting it takes place somewhere in or adjacent to the world of the first Final Fantasy game on the NES.

Our sources have corroborated this rumor and suggest the name of the game is Final Fantasy Origin.

The game, which appears to be exclusive to PlayStation 5 with a PC release further down the road, will be one of Square Enix’s tentpoles at their upcoming E3 show. For whatever reason, several large chunks of the undated June show have leaked out, including the Final Fantasy Origin’s logo and demo plans. Square Enix hopes to release an alpha demo this summer, not unlike Nioh’s public alphas, to solicit feedback from the audience while the game is still in a fairly early state. This demo, like several other major demos, has its own title of “Stranger in Paradise.”

Expect the title to play similar to Nioh or other games in the genre, but to be more accessible for a wider audience. Fanbyte’s sources indicated that the game is largely developed by the same team behind Dissidia NT, but that Team Ninja’s nearly-200 person studio involves a lot of shifting around and that there aren’t hard borders on the different teams these days. The Nioh DNA in the game is likely the result of people core to the first two games’ development being involved in Final Fantasy Origin.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

It's an interesting concept, I just wonder if they are going completely original in terms of characters, or will you be seeing a ton of familiar characters?

For what they said (the leak of course) it will be based on the original one on the NES. So I presume you select a nameless class as in Dark Souls with different attributes. It would be cool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nieird said:

I want Tactic a lot

I played so much of that game on the ps1.

I remember when  my friend told me you could unlock Cloud i didnt believe him but eventually i got ahold of gamefaqs somehow (before i had the internet) and was so excited to try it out.

• Like 1

Interesting.

Demon’s  Souls  and  Dark Souls are, thinking about it, what Final Fantasy should have been, before the series abandoned job classes and focused more on the spectacle  and characters from 6 to 15, with some rare exceptions like the expert sphere grid in 10, 10-2 and the International version of 12, of course, it depends if they manage to make a good job with this, but it’s kinda depressing now that I think about it, Dark Souls having all those build varieties while FFXV playing like a  Sony third person game with a weak RPG element tacked on.

From what I've read about this, "akin to Nioh or Souls" might be overstating the similarities to those games.

I'm guessing the majority of similarities will be being a single-character action RPG with a dark medieval atmosphere. 

It's supposed to have multiple difficulty options, so there's no need to be worried about forced Souls-like difficulty.

The title is awful, though. Super generic and easily confused with Origins.

Final Fantasy Souls based off Final Fantasy 1? Huh... that can actually work. If successful following it up with 2 and 3 could be easily done too I think with some modifications here and there.

I do wonder if it will actually be FF1 though... Dissidia had this lore about how there was this other FF1 world or something and how Chaos came to be due to a nation creating him to try and combat all of the warmechs and such that another nation had (like FF10 basically). We all know how Square Enix operates, wouldn't put it past them to include all that. To be fair though, a ruined world FF1 via warmechs/monsters/Omega would be Soulslike than FF1 on its own.

Oh, Oh! I have totally missed this! This made my old presumed dead hype feelings to get excited. I really hope it's a Souls/Nioh version of FF, I would love that!!! Give me more ?

Just as long it's not a Dissidia 2....

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 10:10 PM, PraiseTheFluppi said:

Sounds nice, I really love the souls-like-games a lot, with Final Fantasy monsters and the lore and everything this could be great!

I'm just curious, is this possibly a FF1 'remake' in disguise? They even name it 'origin' and say it's based on ff1... just an idea :D

I'm thinking it would probably be more like a re-imagining of the original rather than a remake if so, or an "origin" story of the first ff

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 6:21 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

I played so much of that game on the ps1.

I remember when  my friend told me you could unlock Cloud i didnt believe him but eventually i got ahold of gamefaqs somehow (before i had the internet) and was so excited to try it out.

Nostalgia hit me and I bought Tactic on my phone. Ill buy it again it there's trophies.

• Like 1