Is it as bad as the Review Scores indicate?

Kal-El457

I don't normally put stock in reviews because I believe most game experiences are subjective and dependent on tastes but this seems to be getting a lot of average at best reviews. I'm just wondering for those of you that happened to be playing the game and what your thoughts are and how they stack up to a lot of the reviews I've been seeing.

I didn't really plan on getting the game initiallybut i watched some coverage and it looked pretty solid but with a lot of the reviews coming out claiming repetition and meaningless gameplay etc etc, I decided to hold off. What do you guys think? :) 

i think game play wise this game is really fun, i like the rpg mechanics a lot so far but i've only been playing for around 2hrs although mele combat feels off, idk why.

the way the story is told is annoying as hell though. i'm usually one for watching/reading all dialog but i'm finding myself skipping most of it already

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Teh_Zombz said:

i think game play wise this game is really fun, i like the rpg mechanics a lot so far but i've only been playing for around 2hrs although mele combat feels off, idk why.

the way the story is told is annoying as hell though. i'm usually one for watching/reading all dialog but i'm finding myself skipping most of it already

You can just turn the Narrator off, and just read it yourself.

13 minutes ago, De_Band said:

You can just turn the Narrator off, and just read it yourself.

As far as I know he is the only voice acted part of the game, and the game itself is pretty silent. So switching him off will just add to that silence. After watching a bunch of reviews, I think i'll wait for a sale. It just looks fun but mediocre as @Spraragen88 put it.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

Nope. Most reviews have lower numbers than negativity in their written.
Also, their written negativity tends to be vague unexplained issues such as declaring the game buggy or generic, trite problems with an open world game being open.. 

• Like 3

It's a AA game that's trying new things. Yeah it's not polished and shiny looking, but at times it looks really pretty. The narrator doesn't have an annoying voice, but may get tiresome after a long while. All the different skills and powers are decent. The crafting system is good and the amount of gear available to you is plentiful. It does however start off slow, and the puzzles are needlessly simple but I expect it was unfairly reviewed by many. It is worth playing. Very much so. 

Edited by Miss_Valkyria
  • Like 4

“Biomutant is what happens when someone makes a Ubisoft game but without Ubisoft’s resources, experiences, talent, or even willingness to take risks.”

I may still dumpster dive and play it at some point.

But an overall Metacritic rating in the 60’s is pretty damning.  Set expectations accordingly.  

• Like 1

I preordered without high expectations, getting my copy next week. I wasn't expecting a HZD or Uncharted game in terms of polishing.  

Hmm if someone remember the Narrator in Strange Brigade, it's like that or the dialogues are more frequent?

Based on what i'm seeing from you guys replying to my thread is that the game is better than the reviews indicate which isn't surprising haha. I found an article/semi review on the game that basically says that reviewers played a different game than the article owners experience. 

You guys can check it out if you'd like. https://halfglassgaming.com/2021/05/a-lot-of-biomutant-reviewers-had-an-experience-thats-completely-different-from-mine/

• Like 2

Like everybody here said, the narrator is super annoying. Thankfully you can turn him off. Melee combat doesn't feel that satisfying; it's like there's no weight in it and not enough feedback when you hit an enemy. Shooting feels okay even though there's no lock on.

I think the best part about this game is the crafting system. It's quite deep for a game that doesn't seem to take that long to 100%. Exploring and scavenging items around the world is quite enjoyable in my opinion.

However, the second you start the game, the second it becomes obvious that it was made by a small team and that they were maybe a LITTLE too ambitious. It definitely lacks the polish and the game direction seems like it was all over the place. I'd recommend listening to a lot of different peoples reviews and then deciding if this game is for you.

• Like 2

Bad reviews? There is a handful of them.

The average critics score is 68/100 on Metacritic, the rating is coloured yellow/orange, so now people jump into assumptions that Biomutant is a bad game.

If there would be 71/100 and green rating, then was it a good game?

Today (25.05.2021, 18:00 GMT), it was rated 5/5 stars in PS Store with 370 users scores.

IMG-20210525-165157.jpg

The only cons I have found after 2h playing (and it was just the tutorial):

- dialogues (mentioned above), which are funny but I guess they'll be irritating after 30h of playing

- graphics, which I was just expecting to be better, especially missing HDR.

IMG-20210525-170858-2.jpg

Edited by Bykovsky7

I think SkillUp had a really good review of Biomutant and did a great job explaining why the game is not good. Listening to his reasoning, I'm honestly disappointed in what this final product looks like. I want to support small teams working on creative projects, but the game looks too empty and pre-alpha at times to warrant a buy at this time. I know holding out hope that this is a No Man's Sky situation and things will be patched up is far-fetched, but here's to hoping.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TerminalPhoenix said:

I think SkillUp had a really good review of Biomutant and did a great job explaining why the game is not good. Listening to his reasoning, I'm honestly disappointed in what this final product looks like. I want to support small teams working on creative projects, but the game looks too empty and pre-alpha at times to warrant a buy at this time. I know holding out hope that this is a No Man's Sky situation and things will be patched up is far-fetched, but here's to hoping.

Thank you for sharing this info!

Here's the video:

It's good information. 

• Like 3

I'd say it's pretty good. My initial thought playing after hearing bad reviews was "i understand why" but after the first hour the game became so much better. The intro was pretty weak but the rest is great.

I found myself addicted playing the game and really enjoying it. I usually don't spend many hours on the first day. The fights are good, challenging and well made. Enemy diversity is nice. Looting, upgrading and the gear is cool, exploring the world is interesting, the skills and weapons are great. 

My negatives after 4h gameplay:

-Narrator is annoying, didn't know you could turn off but I end up skipping most dialogues (sadly) because I don't want a narrator reading me NPC conversations everytime I talk to someone

-Crashed once

-Game bugged once when I was digging dirt and it never stopped since square prompt didn't appear. No button would cancel it either so had to restart the game. Luckily autosaves are constant and only lost few seconds

-fights are a bit overwhelming but still good. Huge enemies are attacking you non-stop and not letting you breathe

every journalist and user reviews all agreed about the following...

- the narrative is annoying as hell ( though there's an option to turn it off )

- the combat felt poor.

- the world is pretty and vibrant but farther in you'll notice the places on the entire game is copy and paste of assets.

- I think I heard a lots of people hated the Banjo- Kazooie- gibberish talking style.

- the side quests is really bad ( felt like it was rushed as a lots of people claim )

- the game tried to be a lots of open world games into one, something like Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, Fallout 76... though I don't know why this is considered bad, I think it's something to do with even doing all these games so poorly?

this is what everyone that played it said, as for me I have to play it before I judge it fully, and since it's getting mixed to negative reviews across the board i'm smelling a price drop is coming too early so it's a win win situation for me.