Firmware Update 8.5 is awful!

Ancestral_Spirit

I cannot even begin to fathom the amount of times i have been kicked out of my game back to the XMB with all these system software crashes.

Was just in the middle of playing Shadow of The Tomb Raider, and i got a software crash whilst it was popping a trophy, 'Treasure From the Past' to be specific.

My trophy has still popped fine, and it still says i obtained it, but i have no screenshot.

Is anyone else having an increased amount of crashes with this most recent update?

I've seen people saying certain games won't even play anymore after this latest firmware update, namely Alekhine's Gun, which i can confirm doesn't work with a physical EU version.

What the hell is Sony playing at, and does anyone have any idea if Sony intend to fix this anytime soon?

Cos this latest firmware, sucks ass  :/

• Like 1

When i was playing SotTR there was also an update (i don't remember which one) and the game did the same to me 2-3 times until i finished it. The problems started after installing the update, no issues before. I was around the middle of the game.

So maybe it's a problem with the game and not with the update

I am having the same issue with playing Fall Guys, basically after about two - three hours of playing the game crashes. This is consistent everytime I log in and play. 

I never had this issue before the 8.50 update. This is also happening when I've played other games too. 

Edited by Solercide

No Man's Sky has performance issues anyway but they have been exacerbated by this Firmware Update, because it freezes a lot now and overall performance has taken a nosedive :(. Also, the PS Store is even worse than it used to be and is super laggy now.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

I haven't really been having any issues myself, none that I've noticed anyway, but I haven't really been playing PS4 loads since the update. I've played about 3 I think since 8.50, as well as starting up a few games to sync trophy lists or because they're those weird ones that require you to start the game to install an update. Haven't had any of them crash or otherwise have issues.

I do hope Sony fixes these issues at some point though. I mentioned this in another thread, but there could be legal action if they don't fix it; those games like Alekhine's Gun are still being sold via the PSN store, they can't just let you buy games you can't play because their firmware is screwed. Not to mention I imagine the publishers of those games aren't exactly pleased either (and can also threaten legal action). So I wouldn't worry too much about it not being fixed, it's just a matter of when. Hopefully not too long, but I doubt this is really something they're prioritising either, given that there aren't many games affected (and most importantly, not really any popular/regularly played ones), and Sony are focusing more on the PS5 now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

Sony putting gremlins in the PS4 to make y'all want a PS5 even more.

Didn't Apple have to pay over $100m for intentionally slowing down older models (phones, not people...) not that long ago? You might be onto something here, if only there were PS5s to purchase freely though...

Edited by NZBigC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NZBigC said:

Didn't Apple have to pay over $100m for intentionally slowing down older models (phones, not people...) not that long ago? You might be onto something here, if only there were PS5s to purchase freely though...

Even if the PS5 was available anywhere and everywhere, they still really shouldn't be gimping their older models, if that is indeed the case.

As others have stated, it's probably a matter that they will fix in time, but the question is how long will the wait be? It's not like i'm just gonna stop playing on my primary console until they fix it, but in the meantime, i'm having to deal with crashes aplenty, and it's not just a case of the one game.

RAD, which i recently finished had never crashed to XMB before this update, and in my last few runs of the game, it crashed to XMB at least 3 times.

My partner has had the same issue with a game called Roudguard, a game that is, as far as we're aware, not known for crashing on PS4. However that game seemed to crash constantly, and that was even after deleting the whole game and re-installing it.

Genshin Impact has been the same. No crashes for either me nor my partner, right up until this update, and we've had a couple of XMB crashes since. When it happens again, i'll post the error code unless someone can find it before me.

It's comforting, and entirely not comforting, to know that other people are having the same issues across many different games.

38 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

When it happens again, i'll post the error code unless someone can find it before me.

You should be able to view what errors your PS4 has encountered under Settings > System > Error History. Though occasionally it won't always log errors for whatever reason, at least in my experience.

You'll probably find the error codes you're experiencing are just CE-34878-0 and/or CE-36329-3. The former is just a general "this game crashed" code, and the latter means there was some kid of issue in the system software itself, often causing it to soft reboot, shut down/full reboot, or close whatever it's currently doing (normally the PSN store in my case). Unfortunately, error codes on PS4 (and Playstation systems in general) tend to be rather vague and often don't help much in finding out what the root of the issue is exactly.

• Like 1

The PS4 needs to be left alone, unless there is some attempt to jailbreak it or whatever in which Sony should be issuing system updates that help against those kinds of issues.

Gimping it in an attempt to get people to buy the PS5 is basically taking a giant shit in the middle of the field. The PS5 is still not available in many areas, it's too expensive, and there's a gathering of losers out there charging a goddamn fortune for one. Not to mention that the PS5 UI is a big step down from the clean, smooth interface on the PS4.

Luckily I haven't come across too many issues with my PS4.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The PS4 needs to be left alone, unless there is some attempt to jailbreak it or whatever in which Sony should be issuing system updates that help against those kinds of issues.

Gimping it in an attempt to get people to buy the PS5 is basically taking a giant shit in the middle of the field. The PS5 is still not available in many areas, it's too expensive, and there's a gathering of losers out there charging a goddamn fortune for one. Not to mention that the PS5 UI is a big step down from the clean, smooth interface on the PS4.

Luckily I haven't come across too many issues with my PS4.

That's the thing though, they've managed to jailbreak it up to the high 7s firmware

So why would they take away long time features and tinker with stuff at this point? I don't understand Sony's logic, but I guess if you're an economist you couldn't give a shit less what any gamer on this forum, let alone gamers in general think of gaming products.

Starting to wonder if its a combo of some things now as well, as some of you are saying Fall Guys is perfectly fine while other are saying it crashes out all the time.

I'm personally having issues with loads of games, and i'm running on a PS4 slim:

RAD

Genshin Impact

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

Ghost of A Tale (that games was prone to crashing anyway, i mean a whole game crash not just a system software one)

Warframe

I use the internet browser quite a bit on my PS4 as well, and that thing runs like a bag of ass. I swear it has some sort of memory leak problem. I have to reset my console after i've used it, otherwise my system is even more prone to crashing than usual  :/

Are you guys running slims, chunky originals or pro's?

I'm mostly talking to the guys that are all playing Fall Guys atm, since that seems to be a game that's coming up a couple of times in this thread.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

Starting to wonder if its a combo of some things now as well, as some of you are saying Fall Guys is perfectly fine while other are saying it crashes out all the time.

I'm personally having issues with loads of games, and i'm running on a PS4 slim:

RAD

Genshin Impact

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

Ghost of A Tale (that games was prone to crashing anyway, i mean a whole game crash not just a system software one)

Warframe

I use the internet browser quite a bit on my PS4 as well, and that thing runs like a bag of ass. I swear it has some sort of memory leak problem. I have to reset my console after i've used it, otherwise my system is even more prone to crashing than usual  :/

Are you guys running slims, chunky originals or pro's?

I'm mostly talking to the guys that are all playing Fall Guys atm, since that seems to be a game that's coming up a couple of times in this thread.

Base PS4 but no issue with any other games except Fall Guys.  Their latest patch is a mess.

9 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Haven’t noticed anything besides a few small hiccups which rebuilding the database fixed. Hoping it stays that way. Have a slim.

Hhhmmm might have to have a go at rebuilding the database and see if it helps somewhat.

It's a shame i have no guaranteed way of forcing the PS4 software to crash if you get what i mean?

I mean, it's entirely random when my system software will crash. I can play a game for an hour or 4 hours, and it's entirely random as to whether or not i'll get a crash in that time.

I can be browsing the web and it'll crash whenever it feels like.

I even had a system software crash while i was browsing through Crunchy Roll lol.

32 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

Hhhmmm might have to have a go at rebuilding the database and see if it helps somewhat.

It's a shame i have no guaranteed way of forcing the PS4 software to crash if you get what i mean?

I mean, it's entirely random when my system software will crash. I can play a game for an hour or 4 hours, and it's entirely random as to whether or not i'll get a crash in that time.

I can be browsing the web and it'll crash whenever it feels like.

I even had a system software crash while i was browsing through Crunchy Roll lol.

When I first bought a first gen PS4 years back I was getting system level crashes completely at random a month after purchase, done the usual database rebuilds, factory reset etc. Nothing helped and wasn't planning on sending it back. I'm a tinkerer so I tinkered.

It ended up that the HDD was the issue, Toshiba brand (not a reliable brand back then). Swapped it for WD blue drive and never had issues after, my younger brother now uses it and still goes strong.

My point is if you have exhausted every software solution like a database rebuild or re-initializing the console then look to the hardware. In my case Sony cheaped out on the storage probably to cut costs. Swap the HDD with another and test. If you're not getting anymore crashes well then you have a diagnosis and solution.

13 minutes ago, Null_Spectre said:

When I first bought a first gen PS4 years back I was getting system level crashes completely at random a month after purchase, done the usual database rebuilds, factory reset etc. Nothing helped and wasn't planning on sending it back. I'm a tinkerer so I tinkered.

It ended up that the HDD was the issue, Toshiba brand (not a reliable brand back then). Swapped it for WD blue drive and never had issues after, my younger brother now uses it and still goes strong.

My point is if you have exhausted every software solution like a database rebuild or re-initializing the console then look to the hardware. In my case Sony cheaped out on the storage probably to cut costs. Swap the HDD with another and test. If you're not getting anymore crashes well then you have a diagnosis and solution.

Not sure what my slim has in it tbh, never really wanted or had the need to take it apart.

Well, i've rebuilt the database now so we'll see how it fares after that.

I'll be honest, it seems like a pretty expensive endeavor if it is indeed the HDD  >.<

8 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

Not sure what my slim has in it tbh, never really wanted or had the need to take it apart.

Well, i've rebuilt the database now so we'll see how it fares after that.

I'll be honest, it seems like a pretty expensive endeavor if it is indeed the HDD  >.<

Hopefully it has something better than what my fat PS4 had.

Sadly all things are finite, wear and tear happens but a HDD swap on a PS4 is a very simple affair. You have a wealth of video guides to follow on Youtube.

Keep an eye out on Amazon for sales or if you have an old laptop laying around that is no longer used but has a good HDD can easily use that to test.

But if the rebuild of the database does work, fantastic.