My profile 1000 views celebration topic

lettmon

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You're entitled you all these opinions - and I agree with some, but not all, of them - but none of that is to do with what results in increased profile views, which was the point of the Topic - and my original post

So you essentially are just giving up in making any sort of retort, when I basically broke down your statement and added my take on it. If you want more profile views, then be more outspoken. Being around a long time also helps. When I first started posting on these forums I had very few people read any posts, it took me a few years just to have a sizable amount of followers after posting on a regular basis.

That's not the only way, but that was how I accumulated all my views over the years.

23 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

So you essentially are just giving up in making any sort of retort, when I basically broke down your statement and added my take on it. If you want more profile views, then be more outspoken. Being around a long time also helps. When I first started posting on these forums I had very few people read any posts, it took me a few years just to have a sizable amount of followers after posting on a regular basis.

That's not the only way, but that was how I accumulated all my views over the years.

You seem like you are spoiling for an argument, but I don't see the point of getting into one here, as it'll just get moderated away, given it is off-topic, and let's face it, it's been had before.

I don't need to make the argument you are looking for anyways, since my profile, and my 'game ranking' thread is basically the counter-argument to that idea anyways:dunno:

The fact that I have plenty of Ratalaika games on my profile, along with everything else, and the fact that I treat those games with the same level of scrutiny, time, care and attention in my reviews and ranking of them should show that there are people out there (like me) who do play Rataliaka stuff because of the game, and not the trophies.

But if we must get into it a little, I'd point out - you just finished Need for Speed: Rivals.

That game is much less fun than many Ratalaiika games, and is worse in many ways - it costs more, takes longer, and has the 'veneer' of a AAA game. It's not only artistically barren and mechanically and technically faulty, but it is also actively misleading to consumers, because it is disguised as a 'real' AAA game.

I take much more issue with something like than than I do with short, 'EZPZ', but at least fun, stuff like Zero Zero Zero Zero or Devious Dungeons

I'll happily take an hour of fun in a game that only takes an hour to finish, over an hour of fun spread across 50 hours of boring drudgery like in NfS: Rivals - and I believe you think the same, based on your lengthly write up of it ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Random question, but I’ve been getting a lot more profile views lately (getting close to 500 though, not 1000), are any of those views, well, me? 

Because otherwise I have no clue why so many people have viewed my profile. I’m a noob to trophy hunting, don’t have many impressive trophies yet (and no URs), and my leaderboard ranking/number of games played/completion percentage isn’t high. 

Is it just because I’m active on the forums? ?

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

37 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Random question, but I’ve been getting a lot more profile views lately (getting close to 500 though, not 1000), are any of those views, well, me? 

Because otherwise I have no clue why so many people have viewed my profile. I’m a noob to trophy hunting, don’t have many impressive trophies yet (and no URs), and my leaderboard ranking/number of games played/completion percentage isn’t high. 

Is it just because I’m active on the forums? 1f605.png

It could be you. It's highly likely because of how much you post in Disputes, specifically.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 5:23 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Hot tip  I've learned in my time on this site....

Want a bunch of profile views? 

Go on any thread and defend a Ratalaika game.

On 5/31/2021 at 1:19 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Having a bunch of games that I could get my five year old nephew to finish for me doesn't deserve any recognition, particularly games that took next to no effort to make such as Breakthrough Gaming Arcade.

I still wish there was a proper rarity leaderboard.

Ahh, this could explain some of my profile views too, as I’ve both defended some EZP games while calling others trash. But as @DaivRules suggested, the rest probably do come from me posting in Disputes. ?  I agree about the rarity leaderboard but think the current idea needs a few more tweaks to make sense. And I don’t even know if my main point of contention is something that could be changed.

To me, common games with an around 50-64% rarity should count for more than games with a 65-79% rarity and those should count for more than games with a 80-100% rarity. There’s a world of difference between a Spyro Plat and a breakthrough gaming arcade Plat. But under the current proposed system, they’d all be worth the same amount of points. IMO, games in the first category should be worth whatever amount has been suggested for common Plats, games in the second category should count for about half that, and games in the third category (as 99% of games in that category are purely EZPZ-even if some people, myself included, play a few of them because they genuinely look fun) should count for like, 1 point.

Although it’d unfairly penalize some of us, it’d stop a lot of the EZP stacking almost overnight IMO. But as I said, I doubt that type of system would even be possible, and if it were, I doubt the site owner would want to deal with the headache of implementing it. 

On 5/31/2021 at 1:36 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Secondly, bashing a game purely based on the rarity / difficulty, without having played it is elitist - that's virtually the textbook definition.

Whether it's justified, (as in the case of artistically barren fare such as Slyde/ Breakthrough Gaming Arcade,) or not (as with some Ratalaika stuff,) is a different question. :dunno:

Thirdly, a rarity leaderboard will be about as much use as a chocolate teapot as long as the site decides dlc rarities based on a nonsense formula that was chosen simply because it 'feels right' ?

It’s funny to me that some might think of me as an elitist because I’ve called out trash games for being...trash games. I don’t even call them trash based on their lack of difficulty though. I call them trash because they’re obvious shovelware (breakthrough games, road bustle, alien destroyer, etc). 

And yes, I 100% agree DLC rarities should be calculated accurately if we ever get a rarity leaderboard. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

10 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

It’s funny to me that some might think of me as an elitist because I’ve called out trash games for being...trash games. I don’t even call them trash based on their lack of difficulty though. I call them trash because they’re obvious shovelware (breakthrough games, road bustle, alien destroyer, etc). 

Hey man - I think we broadly agree - I’m all for calling Trash Trash, I’m just not for calling all Ratalaika games trash - because some aren’t :dunno:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Ahh, this could explain some of my profile views too, as I’ve both defended some EZP games while calling others trash. But as @DaivRules suggested, the rest probably do come from me posting in Disputes. 1f605.png 

I've gotten extra views before just from looking at Disputes. It seems to be a hot section.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hey man - I think we broadly agree - I’m all for calling Trash Trash, I’m just not for calling all Ratalaika games trash - because some aren’t :dunno:

You’re forgetting the other side of the spectrum. People calling games crap because they’re too hard or tedious. 

For instance, the race in Mafia: Definitive Edition on Classic difficulty. People went “oh this game sucks” and quit.

Then of course, you had people calling Fall Guys and Wolfenstein II crap because of one trophy in each. 

I criticized Ratalalika because the trophy lists they made only required you to finish 10 - 20 percent of the actual games. Not because they were objectively bad or good. The quality has varied significantly, what I was aiming for were the trophy lists specifically. 

Whether or not they were good on their own without trophies wasn’t a relevant discussion for why some people were opposed to Ratalalika. 

That’s why I criticized Capcom Arcade Stadium. All of the games are good, but the trophy list is complete shit. There’s the difference.

You’re basically saying Ratailaka doesn’t deserve criticism because of the games, but you were looking in the wrong places. 

There’s the game, and there’s the trophy list. If Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart came out with a crappy trophy list then I sure as hell am going to criticize the hell out of it. The game is good for what I’ve seen, you’ll be hard pressed to find anybody who will say otherwise.

I hope this clears up any confusion you and I had when it comes to debate on games, and the trophy lists attached to them.

On 2021-05-26 at 5:23 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Hot tip  I've learned in my time on this site....

Want a bunch of profile views? 

Go on any thread and defend a Ratalaika game.

Your profile will be instantly flooded with a sea of amateur detective elitists and couch-bound keyboard gate-keepers, desperately flailing around and fishing for any ammunition they can find to call you a 'filthy casual' or a 'trophy whore' or to make fun of you for not having any 'hard games' - your view-count will hit the roof 1f602.png

It's even sweeter if you don't actually have any ammo for them either - there is nothing more delightful than posting about how you actually liked an easy game, seeing your profile view count skyrocket as the same predictable onslaught of elitists come a-knocking, and then getting no derisive responses -

it just means they couldn't find enough evidence to support their initial assumptions and just had to slink away fuming. 1f604.png1f604.png

Nice birthday of Midnight plat...dirty casual :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

You’re forgetting the other side of the spectrum. People calling games crap because they’re too hard or tedious. 

For instance, the race in Mafia: Definitive Edition on Classic difficulty. People went “oh this game sucks” and quit.

Then of course, you had people calling Fall Guys and Wolfenstein II crap because of one trophy in each. 

I'm not "forgetting"  that side of a spectrum - I'm plenty quick to take to task any argument that a game's trophy list being "too hard" makes the game bad - though I don't think such arguments are anywhere near as common - or as generally accepted.

Threads that have been started by people as "venting" - where they are calling some game "bullshit" because they can't achieve some trophy or other are virtually always met - on this site - with a mountain of antagonistic responses deriding the OP,  and defending the game (if it is good, that is.)

Hell - I'm often responsible for one or two of those comments ??

There may be a fair number of threads like that (I know exactly which one you are referring to here BTW ? - and I know there are others) - but there is a big difference though: 

You will never see the term "Machine Games Crap" or "Hanger 13 Trash" rising up as common parlance as a result.

On the other hand - the use of the term 'Rata-Trash', or using "Ratalaika" as a synonym for 'shovel-ware' is so wide-spread now, that it is becoming part of the common language of the site.

There are folks who are using 'Rata' as a pejorative term so commonly, that even games with easy lists from other publishers are getting called 'Rata-trash'...

... the name is actually becoming devoid of the entity that birthed it - like when people (in the UK) use 'hoover' as a broad term to describe any vacuum cleaner, or 'google it' as a term for using a search engine of any stripe.

That is the principle thing I take issue with - as that is the primary driving force behind putting people (particularly newer people to the site) off playing what are, in a lot of cases, perfectly good games - as they don't want to be seen to be filling a profile with 'Trash' - and steering them towards what they see as 'real' games - some of which are, lets face it, demonstrably worse, and less enjoyable games.

(I direct your attention to Need for Speed: Rivals - and then apologise for forcing you to recall that crappy game again, just as, I am sure, you are trying to forget it ?)

I criticized Ratalalika because the trophy lists they made only required you to finish 10 - 20 percent of the actual games. Not because they were objectively bad or good. The quality has varied significantly, what I was aiming for were the trophy lists specifically. 

Whether or not they were good on their own without trophies wasn’t a relevant discussion for why some people were opposed to Ratalalika. 

That’s why I criticized Capcom Arcade Stadium. All of the games are good, but the trophy list is complete shit. There’s the difference.

You’re basically saying Ratailaka doesn’t deserve criticism because of the games, but you were looking in the wrong places. 

There’s the game, and there’s the trophy list. If Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart came out with a crappy trophy list then I sure as hell am going to criticize the hell out of it. The game is good for what I’ve seen, you’ll be hard pressed to find anybody who will say otherwise.

I agree (and have agreed with you elsewhere,) that Ratalaika's policy on trophies is a downer.

The easy lists are not even the worst part - it's the 8-deep region stacks.

I understand why they do it - and don't think much of it as a business model. Yes, it clearly works, but it is sleazy - and exploitative.

However, if there is any common theme you would find across virtually every comment I ever put on this site - it is that I don't consider the trophy list, or relative challenge of said list - to be indicative of, or relevant to, the quality of the game.

I think the points you make above are all perfectly valid - and I also understand why I am the person you are responding to here specifically, as you and I have gone round and round on this issue before.

I bear you no ill-will on that front - this is all healthy debate (for the most part)... but let's not pretend that, if I were to mine your past comments and Status Updates, I wouldn't be able to find some where you are using the term 'Ratalaika' ( and 'Rata-Trash') and  as a short-hand for 'bad games' or 'shovel ware' - or criticising peoples profiles for having them on it.

(I know you think my profile sucks because of them ?)

That's okay, of course - I'm comfortable with my list, and I take pride in it - and you are entitled to feel how you feel - but I will never stop sticking up for people if I feel like you are giving unsolicited criticism, or being overly negative about their profile - particularly if that is the reason behind it.

I'm Scottish.

Sticking up for the underdog is what we do. It comes natural, since we are so historically used to being underdog ourselves ?

I hope this clears up any confusion you and I had when it comes to debate on games, and the trophy lists attached to them.

I am not confused. 

I understand exactly what we are talking about.

I am perfectly happy to engage in conversations like this one, and debate - but I do not appreciate the implication that the reason I disagree with you, is because I somehow don't understand.

I can do two at the same time - understanding and disagreeing. I'm quite the renaissance man ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm not "forgetting"  that side of a spectrum - I'm plenty quick to take to task any argument that a game's trophy list being "too hard" makes the game bad - though I don't think such arguments are anywhere near as common - or as generally accepted.

If the challenge is virtually unfair, such as DOOM 2's Nightmare Co-op trophy, then I will be the first to state that something like that sours the game. It is one of the most bullshit trophies I have ever come across. Granted, the game is old as fuck, before most people here were even born, but it remains an all time classic and at $4.99, you can't argue with that price. Regardless, this trophy is the #1 platinum blocker for me across all the games on my list that are unfinished.

In contrast, the Infallible trophy in Fall Guys and the Mein Leben trophy in Wolfenstein II are plenty doable, even when the games first game out, and they don't border on unfair. Whenever people bitch about hard trophies like that pisses me off, and these are the same sort that stack a bunch of easy crap. Both games are good, but Fall Guys is just not my kind of game. I avoid multiplayer only games.

There may be a fair number of threads like that (I know exactly which one you are referring to here BTW 1f609.png - and I know there are others) - but there is a big difference though: 

You will never see the term "Machine Games Crap" or "Hanger 13 Trash" rising up as common parlance as a result.

I still regard Mafia III as a good game worth playing were it not for the glitches. This was a buggy mess when it released. I had to tinker with a workaround to get one trophy to pop because it was glitched whenever I played with my console connected online. Still, that wasn't enough for me to consider Hangar 13 a shit company, even though the game clearly needed more polishing.

Fast forward to 2020, and Mafia: Definitive Edition was met to mostly positive reviews. I haven't had any problems with bugs or glitches. The story and characters are solid, as they have been in all of the Mafia games.

Wolfenstein II on the other hand, yikes. Due to story reasons you start the game with 50 percent health, with any health gained over that as overcharge. You have to play quite differently than how you did in Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and Wolfenstein: The New Order, both of which were a lot of fun. I have no problem with the trophy list, I have more of an issue with the pacing of the story, the pathetic attempt to make a proper balance between dark comedy and melodrama, and how the game plays out in certain sections. From what I heard of Wolfenstein Youngblood, I might be better off just avoiding that game entirely.

The whole debate of calling Bethesda bad because of Fallout 76 and CD Projekt Red bad because of Cyberpunk 2077 respectively is opening up a whole can of worms that we're better off not discussing. Both games have been beaten to the ground, so there's no point in analyzing them.

I bear you no ill-will on that front - this is all healthy debate (for the most part)... but let's not pretend that, if I were to mine your past comments and Status Updates, I wouldn't be able to find some where you are using the term 'Ratalaika' ( and 'Rata-Trash') and  as a short-hand for 'bad games' or 'shovel ware' - or criticising peoples profiles for having them on it.

(I know you think my profile sucks because of them 1f602.png)

Before Ratalaika came in the picture in 2017 - 2018 your fastest platinums was My Name is Mayo, and the slew of Japanese visual novels you had to buy physically for your PS Vita. The shipping costs alone were ridiculous, and the people buying them were mostly top trophy hunters like Hakoom. He even posted a video of his Vita physical stack of games a long time ago, and it was certainly cringeworthy.

I found a game called Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition that requires you to play thru the entire game, so I have no issues with it. Some Ratalaika games are fine, we can all agree on that. But their introduction of releasing multiple trophy stacks en masse has lead other publishers to do the same thing.

So now, a contingent of trophy hunters expect most lists to be easy, and when there's something that requires them to do a bit of challenge, or has them doing more than what they bargained before, they bitch and complain.

There's no standard anymore. The fact that Capcom Arcade Stadium gets a bunch of bronze only trophies and any 1 - 5 minute game can get a platinum is proof the system is completely lopsided. If there was one thing PS3 lists did right, it was making the player go beyond what the average person did. I consider PS3 games in general to require more work and effort than a good majority of PS4/PS5 games.

On 6/10/2021 at 11:32 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

That's okay, of course - I'm comfortable with my list, and I take pride in it - and you are entitled to feel how you feel - but I will never stop sticking up for people if I feel like you are giving unsolicited criticism, or being overly negative about their profile - particularly if that is the reason behind it.

Over 90 percent of profiles I see are crap. Most profiles around my rank are padded with garbage. That's not to say my own list isn't without its share of crap because there's some garbage on it like Orc Slayer that I wish I never played.

There's the old saying, "At least 90 percent of everything is crap", no matter what you're looking into. You are one of the few with a decent profile, you clearly put a lot of work and effort into it. There are very few profiles on this website that actually impress me.

Then again I'm the same way with television, movies and music. Most of everything to me is crap, but every now and then you find the golden nugget within a pile of shit in the field. That describes the entertainment industry in a nutshell, and video games are no exception to that.

On 6/10/2021 at 11:32 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm Scottish.

Sticking up for the underdog is what we do. It comes natural, since we are so historically used to being underdog ourselves 1f606.png

Americans get the bad reputation of bitching until the other side submits. We're whiny, self entitled, care only for ourselves, can't see past our own country a lot of the time. Different countries and continents are completely foreign to us. Our education system is in shambles. On and on and on.

• Like 1

If the challenge is virtually unfair, such as DOOM 2's Nightmare Co-op trophy, then I will be the first to state that something like that sours the game. It is one of the most bullshit trophies I have ever come across. Granted, the game is old as fuck, before most people here were even born, but it remains an all time classic and at $4.99, you can't argue with that price. Regardless, this trophy is the #1 platinum blocker for me across all the games on my list that are unfinished.

I know this is off-topic... But I have a genuine question. Is the trophy really unfair? I mean, it is a trophy designed to be earned in local-coop, and you are trying to do it solo, so not in the way it's intended to be done. 

Do you think it would also be virtually unfair IF you would try to do it the way it's supposed to be done? 

Don't get me wrong... I don't like coop trophies in games that don't have online coop. But the trophy should be plenty doable with a second player, right? 

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 5:23 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

>

He often derails his conversations, but he was right initially. 

You put it as if only one side does that when in reality both sides do it, not just the elitists.

The Shovelware Defense Force (I'm copyrighting this ?) will immediately check your profile in hopes of pointing out that you played some shitty game before and therefore you are not allowed to call their beloved ? game trash (even if it actually is trash. That's just how their 'logic' works) 

So without any bias, just go defending or shitting on trash games, it doesn't matter (or both for maximum profit) that's the most profitable for profileviewcoin. 

Edited by BlitzkriegHottie

8 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I know this is off-topic... But I have a genuine question. Is the trophy really unfair? I mean, it is a trophy designed to be earned in local-coop, and you are trying to do it solo, so not in the way it's intended to be done. 

Do you think it would also be virtually unfair IF you would try to do it the way it's supposed to be done? 

Don't get me wrong... I don't like coop trophies in games that don't have online coop. But the trophy should be plenty doable with a second player, right? 

Nightmare was a difficulty John Carmack and John Romero put in DOOM way back when as a sort of joke. It is practically unfair, in both DOOM and DOOM 2. 

You’re in split screen. There is no multiplayer, you have to shareplay. There is no actual pause, there is no saving. There are no checkpoints apart from the beginning of the level where you start. 

It’s far too difficult in version 1.08, so I will be reverting to 1.03 to have a fighting chance.

• 3 weeks later...