Sony's Jim Ryan says the PlayStation team is planning on “exploring the mobile market with some wonderful PlayStation franchises”

Aranea Highwind

If I remember correctly there was an LBP mobile game released around 2014-15 called Run Sackboy Run! It was a great little game, and free too. 

If they can live up to that same quality then I’d be mildly excited about this news. 

32 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Business-wise it makes sense; there are millions and millions more mobile gamers than console, huge potential install base. I abhor the mobile market and lament the unfulfilled potential in favour of microtransaction-filled garbage. But as long as it doesn't interfere with their console games development and output then we can just ignore it.

100% correct.  I remember the community backlash when the mobile version of Diablo was announced.  While the most loyal will not appreciate the move, it financially makes a ton of sense.  

I also like to remember that it is easier to make something that is convenient at a higher quality(cell phones are getting better and better in a smaller device that most people carry), than it is to make something of a higher quality more convenient(Make a console easier to take with you wherever you go).  Perfect example being digital cameras.  DSLR's have not gotten any smaller and it is expensive to get lenses that make a noticeable difference.  Now, cell phone camera's can rival DSLRs and most people probably can't tell the difference and doesn't require a big bulky camera/lenses often for competitive prices to just a camera.

If this gives some new mobile studios some great exposure and puts out some great gaming experiences, then cool. Some mobile hardware these days is pretty intense and people clearly already pay $1,000+ for mobile gaming phones so let's hope that Sony aspires to better than match three games or endless runners. I didn't mind the Knack mobile game because it led to in-game rewards (the best kind of mobile games), but Run Sackboy! Run! was pretty generic.

Ultimately, these aren't taking anything away from console gaming so even if they're generic crap with licensed PS IP, it's easy enough to ignore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrFudge said:

If I remember correctly there was an LBP mobile game released around 2014-15 called Run Sackboy Run! It was a great little game, and free too. 

If they can live up to that same quality then I’d be mildly excited about this news. 

Is/was also on Vita

I won’t be participating. Lol.

I quit mobile gaming over 11 years ago (which was not much time spent at all back then. Maybe a total of 30 hours over the course of 6 months) And even then when I do play 3-5 minutes here and there now it’s trivia games lol. Doubt PlayStation makes those kind of games.

Most people I know that game on their phone regularly are middle aged men/women, they usually play stuff similar to candy crush or in some of the guys cases they like those top view tower defense style games. A lot don’t spend more than the cost of the game, so not a big profit builder for the micro transaction drooling mobile businesses.

The only way they could change my mind is including trophies and making every game free and fairly obtainable without a 900 hour grind. I may spend 3-5 minutes on lunch break working on trophy obtaining at work then.  ??

Edited by Dangisuckatgamin

It's fuel on the fire for people that already have an axe to grind with Sony and/or Jim Ryan...

... but nothing wrong with reserving judgement until we see what exactly they do with these proposed mobile space plans.  If it's predatory, microtransaction filled crapware that takes resources away from console game development, then that's obviously a bad thing... but if it's quality stuff for a reasonable price that either doesn't impact or compliments the console space, I have no qualms with that really.

Big picture, I'd prefer they just focus on console games though.  Personally.

Exploring the mobile market would be great....if you'd MAKE A PLAYSTATION VITA 2, you idiot!! ...

I thought the mobile phone economy was already am insanely saturated market like nearly 10 years ago so why go back there?

It's like Jim Ryan purposely wants to take flaming dumps all over Playstation legacy.

We play Playstation BECAUSE they aren't mobile phone games.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Exploring the mobile market would be great....if you'd MAKE A PLAYSTATION VITA 2, you idiot!! ...

You means making a PSGo2? Mobile gaming =/= handheld gaming. At least when the markets are being professionally addressed, we mean "mobile" as an phones/tablets and "handhelds" to mean dedicated gaming hardware like the Vita, PSP, Game Gear.

Also, did Ryan say that Sony is making more phones or that Playstation is looking into making apps? The mobile phone market being saturated with phones has nothing to do with the number of apps available. 

You can keep playing Playstation because those will be console games made by console devs and the mobile phone games will be made by mobile phone app devs.

It isn't like Sony hasn't been making anime and movie based mobile apps for years. 

For those wondering why Vita 2 isn't the answer, mobile hardware has been changing at breakneck pace for the last decade at least. No matter what hardware they release, much like consoles are immediately compared to PCs, Sonys hardware would be compared to people phones. The difference between the console and PC comparison, is A LOT of people upgrade their phones every year or two and the PlayStation Mortem (or whatever they'd end up calling it) would be noticeably out of date trying to sell for $200-300 compared to phones people routinely pay $700-800+ for (bundled into their cell phone plans.

OR the PlayStation Mortem targets lower-level hardware, which everyone and their mother (also their mother's mother) has a phone that can already compete with at a hardware level.

It's idealistic for people to think a Vita 2 makes sense, but right now, it just doesn't. I'd love another dedicated handheld from Sony, but it definitely isn't in the cards right now. Expanding (not shifting, yes it's completely possible to do both) to Mobile makes the most sense. In fact, if they ever want to do another mobile, they probably still should try to stay in the mobile market to learn what they can that'll apply to a future handheld.

Imagine if they made a Vita 2, even with the shittiest and cheapest available hardware on the market now that mobile phones use. It would be a lot better than the current Vita and even now the amount of games and power in the original Vita is still great.

It's no wonder mobile phones are so popular, if companies like Sony don't even bother competing. Until a phone has some sort of dpad, analogue and buttons attached to it as standard and the game system isn't riddled with 99% freemium crap, mobile phones will only be the most inferior gaming device.

I'm going to support and keep playing Vita until it's literally impossible to do so. It's just a shame Sony forgot that passion.

• Like 2

Meh.

Outside of God of War and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn if they go crazy with the machine design, I don’t  see their games having much success there.

Realistically, you should opt to take as much money as possible, and it’s  kinda hard to do if you can’t offer  variety in the game, to cover people spending more.

God of War, you can do  many things with the Gods, and classes being “adepts” of  said gods, but what the hell can something like the Last of Us or Uncharted offer? Gun variety? They are already trash and barebones in the core game, not to mention too few in nature, and enemies are underdeveloped.

It’s no secret mobile has tons of games with a RPG formula, they offer lots of  options, which you can use to milk interest, on mobile you cannot put your entire stock  on graphics and story, leaving that, the entire world is completely barebones.

Nevertheless, I’ll be keeping an eye, at the very least I get to buy some stocks at a reduced price, and wait a bit ‘till they get their shit together.

Reycevick did a really good video on the topic of mobile gaming in general.

While it is unfortunately true that 95% of the mobile market is shovel-ware tier extortion trash there is a chance for something good to come out of it.

Modern smartphones can run some truly amazing PS2/PS3/maybePS4 era classics on the go and if they run ok and are a worthy port I don't have any issue with that.

Furthermore, they didn't announce this as "the focus of the future" there will still be PS4/PS5 games/exclusives/indies as we know it - but for those interested there might be a valid mobile option. Maybe even for people who just aren't able to afford consoles or have dedicated game time and wish to do so on the go. Last-gen flagship smartphone is much easier to get than a PS5.

I personally haven't played a mobile game for... 15 years easy. And I can't say I have any interest in it in general even if does turn out in the best way since without dedicated joystick-attachments the on-screen touch controls are terrible and I won't accept a phone that requires me to lug around a charger/battery (ahem, Apple) let alone separate joystick attachment on a day-to-day/on-the-go basis.

That being said - if it turns out like the other games which we all know and love from youtube sponsors and imbecilic banners with gold, and silver, and platinum, and pay for X, and pay for Y... I don't think anyone doing 'serious' console gaming will buy it.

I'd pay 5€ for a decent XCOM port to play on the go but not for a 'free' version where I need to spend money to speed up research or soldier recovery that was made a grindy mess on purpose.

If this was EA, Ubisoft, or Activision? Nah, no chance in hell anything good comes out of it. But perhaps Sony could pull something decent even if I/we here are not necessarily the target audience.