Uncharted 4 to release on PC per Sony IR documents

ziggypossum

Imagine in 10+ years there’s no reason for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to produce video game consoles/hardware with all gaming products being playable via subscription-based streaming or digital download from your smartphone, tablet, desktop, laptop, television, Amazon Echo, Google Nest, Google Glass, etc. followed by GameStop / EB Games going bust. Isn’t the digital future just great?

No, it’s not. Streaming is not here for your convenience - it’s all about the green, “Benjamin Franklin” if you will. Yes of course I’m talking about money!

I also don’t think I like where the whole “GaaS” thing is going. If I’ve read it correctly I picture more first-party titles looking like Marvel’s Avengers: A game announced with a divided audience reaction, 60 USD for the standard edition at launch (if you dropped an extra 15 bucks or so you could get the digital deluxe edition only to receive a bunch of cosmetic items and timesavers which is essentially P2W) with a with a repetitive campaign, a terrible endgame (no pun intended) and slow/delayed free post-launch DLC content providing little or no reason to come back to the game alongside Fortnite-esqe monetisation practices despite being a full-price game.

55 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

M’kay.

95978-CD1-15-F5-4-DD8-A715-72-AA4-AF51-D

“Perfectly balanced...

...As all things should be.”

Edited by Slim Vanilla
  • Like 3

I do not think its smart to devalue your console brand for short term monetary gain through a few hundred thousand pc sales at best.

Playstation won its generations on its exclusives.

I understand they do not want to lose market share to microsoft but i wonder if longterm this will affect console sales.

I personally do not care as i can buy any platform i want.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nyarLOLhotep said:

It would be really weird playing as Nathan Drake on a PC. I wonder how he'll control with mouse and keyboard...

Probably would be a mix of Gears of War and Assassin's Creed controls with KBAM.

I primarily play on PC so this is great news!

5 minutes ago, monteblommie said:

I do not think its smart to devalue your console brand for short term monetary gain through a few hundred thousand pc sales at best.

Playstation won its generations on its exclusives.

I understand they do not want to lose market share to microsoft but i wonder if longterm this will affect console sales.

I personally do not care as i can buy any platform i want.

They release games that has been exclusive for several years. Probably don't sell that much on PS anymore so why not release them on steam and get a few extra mills in the bank.

The people who play on PS most likely have no interest or can't afford a gaming PC. It just seems like a great business move to release old games on PC. MS are releasing brand new games day  one on both Xbox and Steam. That's what might devalue a console.

• Like 1

Chalk me in for one that is happy to see more people getting the opportunity to play these games. 

Acting superior because a game series is locked to one platform is the kind of gatekeeping that needs to fuck off and die. More sales equal more future games for everyone.

That said, these games will forever stay console exclusive. Just means you and other people have another solid option. Win win for gamers.

Edited by Valyrious
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Chalk me in for one that is happy to see more people getting the opportunity to play these games. 

Acting superior because a game series is locked to one platform is the kind of gatekeeping that needs to fuck off and die. More sales equal more future games for everyone.

That said, these games will forever stay console exclusive. Just means you and other people have another solid option. Win win for gamers.

Some franchises are known with a console, and especially some third party ones like persona. exclusives games that are 5 years old are a good proposition to bring to pc (unlike days gone) but it just feels weird when a game that doesn't require a mouse to get better at it (horizon, days gone and uncharted will benefit hugely from a mouse and keyboard) but if you say gravity rush, persona or even god of war then it's better to play these using a controller and I would love them to stay on ps (bloodborne, killzone, the last of us can go to pc because as i said it's a natural platform for them)

Of course Sony leveraging their successful brands to reach more gamers and hoping for increased revenue. They plan on extending their reach even more to other media. Time will tell if these decisions will be successful long-term. Honestly, I'm proud that I have been brand loyal since PS1 and my investment and fandom have contributed to the growing success, albeit small. 

Exclusivity shouldn't be a thing, I'd like to play Halo, Bayonetta 2 and Zelda games on my PS4. Giving exclusives to other platforms should give you all the exclusives on other platforms as well.

A whole ton of PC games I would love to play on my PS4.

Open the gates!

Edited by enaysoft

2 hours ago, monteblommie said:

Horizon: Zero Dawn sold 716,000 copies on PC in just it's first month. SteamSpy shows that it's sold close to 2 million overall. Then there's sales on both GOG and Epic Games Store to take into account. I'd be surprised if Uncharted 4 didn't sell at least 3 million on PC in it's first year. According to multiple sources, more than half of gamer's play on PC. There's serious money to be made.

It's pretty crazy that Uncharted seems to be next.  Days Gone and Horizon I could kinda make sense of... new IP's, not quite the heavy hitters Uncharted, TLOU, God of War and Spider-Man have been.  But I never would've guessed Uncharted would get the PC treatment.  It came out 5 years ago, but still.

EDIT: On the one hand, I'm having a harder time understanding Sony's plans going forward.  On the other hand, I'm psyched my PC friends will be able to enjoy the amazingness that is Uncharted someday.  Maybe all those other games too.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1