Anti-climatic/Underwhelming Platinum pops

Doomed_Gary

So, the last couple of Platinum trophies I earned were total letdowns.

The first one was for Mass Effect 3 from the Legendary Edition. For starters it's an easy Platinum to earn, but in addition to that the trophy that most people will be left with to earn the Platinum is only possible to get in act 1 of a NG+. After finishing a pretty beefy RPG trilogy the Platinum pop comes doing busy work on a NG+ that you won't take into act 2. It's sort of like a cheap shitty tasting hand-rolled cigarette after sex that brought everyone involved to an unsatisfying climax.

The second one I earned shortly after ME3 was from Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition. It's hard to articulate just how persnickety Tales Of trophies can be unless you've experienced them firsthand. Platinums earned in a Tales Of games are well earned. They don't require the manual dexterity and quick reflexes that other "difficult" games do. They do require fortitude and attention to detail. I put a lot of time into Vesperia. I took notes... The Platinum popped while I was playing something else with a rubberband wrapped around the analog sticks.

TL;DR 

What's your most anti-climatic/underwhelming Platinum pop for a game that you actually gave a shit about outside of trophies?

Edited by nyarLOLhotep
  • Like 1

The only one that comes to mind is The Wolf Among Us.

The last 5-10 minutes of dialog was the worst writing in the entire game and it really felt like the climax of the story was the low point of the platinum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nyarLOLhotep said:

So, the last couple of Platinum trophies I earned were total letdowns.

The first one was for Mass Effect 3 from the Legendary Edition. For starters it's an easy Platinum to earn, but in addition to that the trophy that most people will be left with to earn the Platinum is only possible to get in act 1 of a NG+. After finishing a pretty beefy RPG trilogy the Platinum pop comes doing busy work on a NG+ that you won't take into act 2. It's sort of like a cheap shitty tasting hand-rolled cigarette after sex that brought everyone involved to an unsatisfying climax.

The second one I earned shortly after ME3 was from Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition. It's hard to articulate just how persnickety Tales Of trophies can be unless you've experienced them firsthand. Platinums earned in a Tales Of games are well earned. They don't require the manual dexterity and quick reflexes that other "difficult" games do. They do require fortitude and attention to detail. I put a lot of time into Vesperia. I took notes... The Platinum popped while I was playing something else with a rubberband wrapped around the analog sticks.

TL;DR 

What's your most anti-climatic/underwhelming Platinum pop for a game that you actually gave a shit about outside of trophies?

well to be fair ME3 from the ps3 is much more meaty in the trophies and things it needs. However you could just let garrus do everything for you on insane mode.

Only time however I felt disappointed with the trophies/ plat popping was well RE 8 and layers of fear 2. they both just kind of have too many collectables that are to me pointless worse is layers due to the fact you just go from point a to b and so on. the game is plat popped and I didn't think wow what a ride more or less was like meh ok next one.

Edited by Lonemankane

The Last of Us Part II. The game was one of the best experiences I've ever had with video games, but the post game clean up was really bad towards the end. No excitement at seeing pop platinum, just "oh? I'm finally done looking for that crap, great"

Almost all my platinums were crap screenshots, except KH3 where I got a cool shot with Sora blasting a bunch of enemies with thundaga and hitting level 99, which was my last trophy and my favourite and only good platinum screenshot out of my 53 plats. However, most of my other plats popped by by doing random things on the field or in the menu. For Vesperia, my last trophy was wearing the black rabbit ears which I did while flying Baul around. My FF8 one was just in the bushes as my last one was killing 1000 enemies. I don't remember what my other Tales and FF platinum screenshots were, but they were always dumb collectibles where my characters were just on the field. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a Platinum, but the last trophy I needed for the 100% in Journey was “Wonder,” which requires you to meet 10 unique players. 

First of all, loved the game, played it to completion solo or with a companion at least 5 times. But I had trouble getting “Wonder” to pop, even after being fairly sure I had encountered at least ten other players. So, I decided to try to unlock it while idling in the Bridge area for about 15 minutes at a time.

After doing this several times, and checking my trophy list every so often, I thought that method was not working and was about to give up for the night after finishing the bridge level with another player I ran into after one of my idling sessions.

While I was doing that, I pulled up my trophy list again just to be sure and the “Wonder” trophy had popped nearly 45 minutes before. I didn’t even see it. And I had been checking my list fairly often, but must’ve checked the last time right before it popped. ? So I finished the bridge level and then logged off. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

5 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Not a Platinum, but the last trophy I needed for the 100% in Journey was “Wonder,” which requires you to meet 10 unique players. 

First of all, loved the game, played it to completion solo or with a companion at least 5 times. But I had trouble getting “Wonder” to pop, even after being fairly sure I had encountered at least ten other players. So, I decided to try unlock it while idling in the Bridge area for about 15 minutes at a time.

After doing this several times, and checking my trophy list every so often, I thought that method was not working and was about to give up for the night after finishing the bridge level with another player I ran into after one of my idling sessions.

While I was doing that, I pulled up my trophy list again just to be sure and the “Wonder” trophy had popped nearly 45 minutes before. I didn’t even see it. And I had been checking my list fairly often, but must’ve checked the last time right before it popped. 1f602.png So I finished the bridge level and then logged off. 

the trophy of ending the game with a single company was also irritating, especially towards the end the company dispersed. now imagine that this trophy should be made by playing the entire game and not just the last level.

14 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

the trophy of ending the game with a single company was also irritating, especially towards the end the company dispersed. now imagine that this trophy should be made by playing the entire game and not just the last level.

Oh yes! The two “ending with a companion” trophies took far longer than they should’ve because my companion kept seemingly (and one time literally-when PSN went down) glitching out of existence during the last level. I only got the trophies due to a white robe companion I had been with since the bridge patiently waiting right at the end of the threshold for me to catch up. 

I only managed to cross the threshold together properly once after that, and I even briefly lost track of them, but rushed through the level instead of looking for them (what I’d always done before-but since I had the trophies I wasn’t as worried about finding them) only to find them at the front of the summit/threshold area waiting for me. ?

So I guess in the future I’m just not going to try to locate companions anymore during the last level, since in my experience they’re usually waiting at the end. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

Drakengard 3

As frustrating and trolling as the final stage was, it was still a great send off.  But there's still two trophies after that.  Beating that unlocks a new material in the shop so you can upgrade everything.  And there's finish all of Accord's missions.  And both of those are just grindy.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 9:54 AM, TalalHmd said:

I’d say most of the platinums are anti climatic, because I always leave the worst parts for last (collectibles, online, rushing through the game on ng+, etc..)

I agree with this; I usually earn platinums during the clean-up process, so they usually pop during some mindless grind.

To answer the question though: Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory. The game itself is one of the best games I've ever played, and there were definitely some challenging trophies. But for most people (including me), the last trophy that pops is the one for maxing your hacker rank.

The fastest way to do this is by repeating story missions in NG+, so this means skipping through all of the dialogue (unless you want to see it again) and one-shotting all of the bosses until you reach max level, which happens about half-way through your second playthrough. Very anti-climactic end to a great and somewhat challenging game.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

I agree with this; I usually earn platinums during the clean-up process, so they usually pop during some mindless grind.

I see a lot of people pop their plats during cleanup and had a feeling it lessens the impact of the moment, so I have usually tried to make sure the last trophy is difficult enough to make the Platinum moment more exciting. Like in Need for Speed it was a lot more memorable getting that plat after the most difficult race compared to saving some boring online trophy for last.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

I see a lot of people pop their plats during cleanup and had a feeling it lessens the impact of the moment, so I have usually tried to make sure the last trophy is difficult enough to make the Platinum moment more exciting. Like in Need for Speed it was a lot more memorable getting that plat after the most difficult race compared to saving some boring online trophy for last.

You might be on to something there. There were a handful of platinums I popped from doing something difficult, and those were more memorable. Unfortunately for me though, it's pretty hard to avoid ending with a grind in a JRPG though ?.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Most underwhelming was probably Undertale. Don't even need to finish the game to get it; which is a shame because the plat could have reflected a completionist run, as is it's kind of pathetic and feels like a low value trophy.

It’s deliberate- The dude who made it hates trophy hunters - he’s said so many times, and actively wanted to troll them specifically with the trophy list in Undertale.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It’s deliberate- The dude who made it hates trophy hunters - he’s said so many times, and actively wanted to troll them specifically with the trophy list in Undertale.

Interesting; I didn't know that. I never played the game but I think his troll attempt failed. The people that only care about trophies didn't have to finish the game, so they were able to get a quick plat. I could see it being annoying for the people that cared about trophies and the story, but they were still able to finish the game.

Just now, yuber1234 said:

Interesting; I didn't know that. I never played the game but I think his troll attempt failed. The people that only care about trophies didn't have to finish the game, so they were able to get a quick plat. I could see it being annoying for the people that cared about trophies and the story, but they were still able to finish the game.

I never bought the game - primarily because of that. 

I can respect the dude for his talent of course - from what I’ve heard, the game is very good - but I don’t think I’d be able to respect myself if I willingly gave money to someone who was actively calling me a c*nt while I did ?

• Like 1

Got 2 examples that come to mind:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla - So after I conquered England, unlocked all the chests, found all the precursor mumbo jumbos and cursed Layla (again), last trophy was that stupid Overdesign II requirement where you had to kill 3 enemies while on fire and without breaking their shields. Just like an Overwatch trophy, some dumb requirements. After I did the stupid stuff, platinum dinged and I was like...that's it? 

Which was a shame because I actually enjoyed the game

Shadow of the Colossus - There's no secret that I suffered through this game. In one way this game was important to me, but for all the wrong reasons - I just wanted to get it done.

But of course, the very last trophy was climbing the shrine and run to the end of the bridge, which is like 5 minutes of running.

So, killed the colossi 123512563423653235 times to max out my stamina bar, climbed another km of vines, barely managed to do it, explored the garden, ate one of those stinky apples and ran all the way to the end. Platinum dinged. I haven't even noticed it, was watching something else while I was paying attention to not fall off the bridge like a moron. And then I saw that I got the platinum and...

THIS IS WHY I SUFFERED SO MUCH? Only for a measly sprint? Deletus!

• 1 month later...

There are a few games that needed grinding for the last trophy that I would leave running with an elastic band or turbo controller, and come back to it later to see the platinum had popped while I was afk.

Most recently that I can remember was for Good Dog, Bad Dog, which had a trophy for shaking hands/paws with your owner 10 times. The prompt would appear in a specific spot but was random with a couple other commands. So I left my dog sitting in that spot with the button being turbo pressed. When I checked it again about an hour later I had the trophy and the platinum.

On 27/07/2021 at 0:03 AM, Deceptrox said:

All the platinum trophies that pop on a black screen are anti-climatic in my opinion. I try to pop my PS4 platinums on a non-black screen whenever possible.

Aw jeez, don't.  This happened to me when I was lining up my GTA V plat on PS4.  I did all the single player trophies and everything needed for the 100% completion except for flying under the last bridge.  I then left the game as was and waited until I had finished up the heists, so I could then load up the story, fly under that bridge, pop the plat and be done with the game.  However, because I'd waited a good few months, I'd forgotten that the game was set to auto-save any time I flew under a bridge or performed a knife flight.  So I flew under the bridge, hoping to score a nice looking screenshot of me flying my chopper into the sunset...... and got a black auto-save screen instead.

I was not amused.

If I recall correctly, I popped the Assassin's Creed Unity plat from completing the tutorial. Also you can't complete the tutorial before getting all skills, which is probably one of the last things to happen as you need to collect the skill points from the co-op missions.

Teslagrad is one game that pops up in my mind. You don't have to beat the game to get the platinum trophy.

Orc Slayer was terrible from start to finish. The platinum felt completely underwhelming, because while it was really easy, it was a utter pain to slog through.

Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space was another pile of trash, and another game where you didn't have to beat the game to earn the platinum.