How'd you rank the following games?

OmegaRejectz

I'm thinking of getting a month's worth of EA Play, and I've got my eyes dead set on the following games:

• Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Unravel
  • Sea of Solitude
  • Need for Speed Heat
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst

All of those games are 5/10 or less difficulty. They also have no missable trophies or DLC (at least trophy related).

Need for Speed Heat and Mirror's Edge Catalyst are the only two games listed that have online trophies, which from what I can tell there servers haven't been shutdown, which if it's the case the collective 5 online trophies seem incredibly easy.

I'd love to know if you had any good or bad experiences with them and would recommend or recommend against any of them for any reason. I don't want to go through a game and it just turns out to be a borefest.

Thanks.

With need for speed heat you you need to find a group that's level 50 or close to because grinding the group level from 0-50 would take days. So my advice for you is before starting the game find a group that's at level 50. So make a psnprofile session seeing if anyone owns a group that's level 50, or make a post in any other trophy community. The online trophies are not hard at all pretty easy and simple. Sorry that I'm no help for the other games I've never/ barely played

• Like 1

I've played 3 of them. I'd rate them in this order, from best to worst:

1) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

2) Unravel

3) Sea of Solitude

Mirror's Edge was decent. Worth a playthrough, especially for people who like the original game. I think it would have been a lot better if it were linear/cinematic instead of open-world. It just isn't as cool or fun as the first one. Nearly every character is cringe/unlikable too.

People seem to like Unravel, but I ended up getting fairly frustrated with it. The difficulty was all over the place. It's a very pretty game, and I ended up caring about the protagonist, but about halfway through I just wanted it to end. 

I loved the monster designs in Sea of Solitude, and that's the only positive thing I have to say about it. Controls and gameplay were meh, story was dull & predictable, and the voice acting is some of the worst I've ever heard in a high(ish)-profile game. Kept me from getting invested at every turn.

Hope that was at least semi-helpful. I'm usually pretty easy to please, but these 3 games just didn't do it for me. Definitely play Mirrors Edge if you're interested, and that Star Wars game looks really good. I'd say that even if you just played those 2 to 100%, you'd get your money's worth

Edited by EverythingOnFire

Of that list I have only played Fallen Order. I played it not too long after it came out so I assume the technical issues I had are at least mostly fixed by now but if you have played any of the Soulsborne games then it's similar to those but there isn't a hard difficulty you're locked into doing. You can make it more challenging if you want by picking Grand Master difficulty but there are no trophies tied to difficulty. On top of it being similar to Soulsborne, it's also like a Metroidvania in terms of exploring things. This can be a mixed bag since a couple of the planets and dungeons have confusing layouts which makes getting collectibles and backtracking pretty annoying to do, and the map you are given isn't much help either. Along with that, the worlds are interesting to explore the first time around but when you have to revisit them to backtrack and get collectibles they aren't really great to go through again because of how barren they are. As in there's no NPCs or anything to interact with other than the same enemies you already fought the first visit.

So if you want to play what is basically diet Dark Souls with a Star Wars skin with Metroidvania like exploration then you might like it. I will say though that one of the more frustrating mechanics at least when I played was the sliding mechanics. There are some segments where you have to slide down slopes and I don't think they really play tested them that well because it was really awkward to deal with. I assume they have changed that by now though. Along with that, getting the health and Force power collectible upgrades are the only worthwhile collectibles whereas the rest are just skins that don't really mean anything. At the very least you can customize your lightsaber with different designs.

Otherwise it's fine and I would say worth playing at a low price, even if the game does have something of an identity crisis that could have done a lot of things better.

I only played Unravel of the above mentioned games but i like it very much. The artstyle is amazing and the story is a bit hidden at first but through collectibles (pictures) it becomes easier to understand. It was rather easy for me since i played Unravel 2 before Unravel 1. Both are great. I'm hoping for another game :)

I have played 3 of the listed games. I would rank them in the following order:

1. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

2. Unravel

3. Mirror`s Edge: Catalyst

- Star Wars is a mix of Uncharted and a little Dark Souls. The platinum can easily be achieved on the lowest difficulty.

- Unravel is a fun physics based Jump and Run. The game is easy but the no-death trophy can be frustrating on the later levels.

- Mirror`s Edge Catalyst was so boring and the characters were all so unlikable, that I didn`t finish it (but I plan to). The first one was much better in my opinion.

I don`t know EA Play, but as I understand it, it is like PsPlus with the EA library. Then I would suggest you play Need for Speed (2015). The game required an online connection to function but the easy Platinum is complete achievable in single player. The only downside is, that the game has extremly difficult DLC trophies that can lock you out of the 100% completion.

9 hours ago, HelpMyLeg said:

Level 50

Oh, so does joining a group that’s already level 50 instantly pop the trophy? That’d be good. That’s a great tip to keep in mind. Thanks

9 hours ago, EverythingOnFire said:

1) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

2) Unravel

3) Sea of Solitude

Thanks, I might just pass on Sea of Solitude then. I really wanna try Unravel just to see if it’s my cup of tea or not, I’d love to find another side scrolling puzzle orientated game (like Valiant Hearts)

9 hours ago, Redgrave said:

Of that list I have only played Fallen Order. I played it not too long after it came out so I assume the technical issues I had are at least mostly fixed by now but if you have played any of the Soulsborne games then it's similar to those but there isn't a hard difficulty you're locked into doing. You can make it more challenging if you want by picking Grand Master difficulty but there are no trophies tied to difficulty. On top of it being similar to Soulsborne, it's also like a Metroidvania in terms of exploring things. This can be a mixed bag since a couple of the planets and dungeons have confusing layouts which makes getting collectibles and backtracking pretty annoying to do, and the map you are given isn't much help either. Along with that, the worlds are interesting to explore the first time around but when you have to revisit them to backtrack and get collectibles they aren't really great to go through again because of how barren they are. As in there's no NPCs or anything to interact with other than the same enemies you already fought the first visit.

So if you want to play what is basically diet Dark Souls with a Star Wars skin with Metroidvania like exploration then you might like it. I will say though that one of the more frustrating mechanics at least when I played was the sliding mechanics. There are some segments where you have to slide down slopes and I don't think they really play tested them that well because it was really awkward to deal with. I assume they have changed that by now though. Along with that, getting the health and Force power collectible upgrades are the only worthwhile collectibles whereas the rest are just skins that don't really mean anything. At the very least you can customize your lightsaber with different designs.

Otherwise it's fine and I would say worth playing at a low price, even if the game does have something of an identity crisis that could have done a lot of things better.

That’s a shame. I remember seeing them showing off the sliding sections before the game released and they looked extremely jank then, so I figured it’d be the same. I definitely think I’ll like it for $5, and I enjoy Metroidvania’s, never been a big Soulborne fan but I didn’t think I’d like this. Definitely wouldn’t mind running around with a purple saber.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

I only played Unravel of the above mentioned games but i like it very much. The artstyle is amazing and the story is a bit hidden

Do you know if the game has a Chapter/Mission select? I tried finding online but couldn’t. Like for the ‘no deaths’ trophy are you having to restart the entire game or just select each level one at a time?

8 hours ago, reaperveteran86 said:

1. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

2. Unravel

3. Mirror`s Edge: Catalyst

Fallen Order definitely seems quite high on people’s list, which I expected, even if it has shortcomings and whatnot I figured it’d be really difficult to go wrong with a $5 months “trial”.
Did Mirror’s Edge Catalyst have fun gameplay at least? And does the game have skippable cutscenes or skip sable

dialogue or whatever? I wouldn’t mind skipping all the bad story bits and just parkouring around the map.

Does Unravel have a mission select? 

I’ve had my eye on the 2015 Need for Speed for a while but after Heat came out I figured I’d just play the newest in the series, and DLC trophies wouldn’t sound like my cup of tea in a NFS game.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:
  • Unravel
  • Sea of Solitude
  • Need for Speed Heat
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  • (1) Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • (3) Unravel - No death run will be more difficult than you think
  • (5) Sea of Solitude - Runs terrible, glitchy mess on PS5.
  • (4) Need for Speed Heat
  • (2) Mirror's Edge Catalyst - I really liked this game
Edited by psycho_clank314
  • Like 1

From the 3 I've played

Been ages since I played unravel but I don't remember having much difficulty platting it and I really enjoyed it

Mirrors edge again it's been a long time since I played it and I'm not sure if I even attempted the dashes to know how tough they are but I enjoyed the game

NFS probably the easiest of the 3 it's just a chore going around doing all the challenges and collectables 

• Unravel

Have only played these two games. Star Wars was quite fun and definitely recommended. Unravel was not my favorite platformer, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just not really my thing. I will say I tried the co-op in Unravel 2, and it's one of the best platforming experiences I've had from the co-op standpoint. Very fun. So if you have a local buddy/relative/or significant other to play with, I do recommend that one!

11 hours ago, psycho_clank314 said:
  • (1) Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • (3) Unravel - No death run will be more difficult than you think
  • (5) Sea of Solitude - Runs terrible, glitchy mess on PS5.
  • (4) Need for Speed Heat
  • (2) Mirror's Edge Catalyst - I really liked this game

I'm glad I've made this thread, multiple people have gotten me to steer clear of Sea of Solitude.

Only plated The Fallen Order out of that lot. 

Despite unlocking different powers with each new chapter, the gameplay is the same the whole way through from start to finish. There is the odd decent moment, but other than that its just a glorified tech demo. The maps are dull and the collectibles are a pain as you're best waiting until you have finished the game and go into free roam before you consider going for the chests or stuff like that. 

The main game took me 8 hours to do. The collectibles took me just over 12 hours. 

Its not the worst game out there and the story an voice work is really good. But the devs had no idea how to make this an exciting game to play. 

15 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

I'm glad I've made this thread, multiple people have gotten me to steer clear of Sea of Solitude.

Sea of Solitude isn’t terrible, but it isn’t “good” either.  Maybe a 5 out of 10.

I was happy enough with the navigation, the world, and the platforming elements.  The voice acting is the worst I can recall.  I had to mute it after awhile.  Grating and cringeworthy.  The story as a whole was a jumbled mess,  And the “combat” sections were so shallow. It is an easy/quick plat though.

I definitely recommend Star Wars and NFS Heat first though.  Maybe Unravel next which I have not played.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 6:42 PM, OmegaRejectz said:

Do you know if the game has a Chapter/Mission select? I tried finding online but couldn’t. Like for the ‘no deaths’ trophy are you having to restart the entire game or just select each level one at a time?

Yes, Unravel has level select - each level can be accessed from the hub once you've cleared it so you can freely go for no deaths and collectables on each one whenever you want to.

It's the only one I've played from your list, so I can't say how it compares, but it's an incredibly fun and charming game and I would 100% recommend playing it.

• Like 1