A question about Primary and Secondary PSN accounts

I'm currently stuck in a scenario where I'm unsure as to how everything will play out regarding the interaction between primary and secondary accounts.

I currently have two PSN profiles, one which I used from late 2017 to around late 2020.  This account is set as my primary account on my PlayStation and has around a year of PS+ left on it as well as several digital games.

My second account is now my main trophy account and the one I use regularly.  I access PSN via the PS+ which is shared from the other 'Primary' account.  This lets me play online and access the digital titles on the original account if I need them.  My plan was to let the plus expire on the original account before starting it again on my current account and then changing that one to the 'Primary' account and leaving the old one dormant or for games I don't want on my main profile.

My current profile has funds attached to it, and so I was planning to download a digital title in the Days of Play sale.  However, the game would be for use on the original 'Primary' account that has PS+ attached to it, as I don't want it on my main trophy profile.

Would a digital game bought on a secondary account still be accessible on the 'Primary' account in this instance?

24 minutes ago, Mr_Stkrdknmiblz said:

Would a digital game bought on a secondary account still be accessible on the 'Primary' account in this instance?

Yes.

50 minutes ago, Leenewbe said:

u can set more then one account as primary on a console so u can access them on any account, as long as the account the content is on is set to primary u can play it on any other account on that console.

This :)

What you need to remember :

- A PSN account can be primary on only one PS4

- A PS4 can have multiple primary accounts !

In addition, a psn account can be primary on 1 PS4 + 1 PS5 !

So you can keep your primary on PS4 and share your PS4 games on a PS5 too ^^

2 hours ago, Mr_Stkrdknmiblz said:

I'm currently stuck in a scenario where I'm unsure as to how everything will play out regarding the interaction between primary and secondary accounts.

I currently have two PSN profiles, one which I used from late 2017 to around late 2020.  This account is set as my primary account on my PlayStation and has around a year of PS+ left on it as well as several digital games.

My second account is now my main trophy account and the one I use regularly.  I access PSN via the PS+ which is shared from the other 'Primary' account.  This lets me play online and access the digital titles on the original account if I need them.  My plan was to let the plus expire on the original account before starting it again on my current account and then changing that one to the 'Primary' account and leaving the old one dormant or for games I don't want on my main profile.

My current profile has funds attached to it, and so I was planning to download a digital title in the Days of Play sale.  However, the game would be for use on the original 'Primary' account that has PS+ attached to it, as I don't want it on my main trophy profile.

A long time ago, not in a galaxy far... far away, I decided to activate my sole PS4 as primary on every single account I owned, and moved on. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I wasn’t aware more than one primary account could be set.  

Seems it works differently on PS5 and you just have a primary console and all accounts active can access anything installed on the console?

Either way, I downloaded the game on my non-ps+ account and my ps+ account booted up the game so that’s a relief.

Don't forget, you will lose all access to your PS+ games redeemed by your old account once your sub expires (until you resub with same acc). Games you actually bought with your old acc you can still play after that on any account on the same console as long as the old is set as the primary account.

3 hours ago, DizzyDavidson said:

Don't forget, you will lose all access to your PS+ games redeemed by your old account once your sub expires (until you resub with same acc). Games you actually bought with your old acc you can still play after that on any account on the same console as long as the old is set as the primary account.

Thanks,  99% of my games are physical though so i’m not worried about that haha.