Worth to purchase -2021-?

LordFrieza8920

I have been contemplating in whether to buy a PS Vita since I recently got back into Trophy Hunting and thought that having the Vita would be another "good" source to get plats and etc. However, I am not sure if it would be a right choice anyways, considering that there may be other "issues" that I do not know about. What do you all think? Should I buy one? Or should I stick to the consoles I currently have?

• Like 1

I bought one in 2021. I'm also still primarily a PS3 player though and tend to play far behind the current gen. So it depends what kind of player you are.

There will be no new Vita games coming from this summer (Sony will stop accepting new game submissions) so look at the games available now to decide if it's worth it for you. And bear in mind that Vita messaging closes very soon, so prioritise any games you want to play with trophies linked to that.

• Like 1

Better now than never if you really want one, especially since Sony backtracked on the PS3/Vita store shutdown. There are some good exclusives like Persona 4, Muramasa: Rebirth, Freedom Wars, Severed and Killzone: Mercenary have been my favourites so far. There's also a fair amount of dungeon crawlers and visual novels if those interest you. 

Depends on if you are a portable person. I love my vita and play it almost daily but that's because I like the portability. There are some very good games that are exclusive to the vita like Uncharted Golden Abyss and Persona 4. Of course if you are just using it for trophies then there are plenty easy trophy games for that as well.

If you do plan on buying one know there's no plans for any more digital game sales and the price of the physical version of most games are going up. As well, the Vita only accepts a specific memory card and they're expensive as well but the standard card that comes with it is enough for about 10-20 games depending on game size and if it's physical or digital. I'd suggest comparing prices of physical and digital and focusing on all the physical games you want before everything skyrockets out of proportion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yakon-Inflation God said:

Thank you for the replies. I was more worried that my money would be better suited for other games instead of a new console. I do have some recommendations if I do decide to purchase it. Nonetheless, thank you once again.

Depends if you buy it for portability or the games.

I'd recommend checking whether the games that you want to get are compatible with the PSTV and get that instead. I paid 40€ for it like 5 years ago and I haven't touched my Vita since.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can even play with the DS4.

Edited by Yenrou-V2

6 hours ago, Yakon-Inflation God said:

I have been contemplating in whether to buy a PS Vita since I recently got back into Trophy Hunting and thought that having the Vita would be another "good" source to get plats and etc. However, I am not sure if it would be a right choice anyways, considering that there may be other "issues" that I do not know about. What do you all think? Should I buy one? Or should I stick to the consoles I currently have?

If you're a big weeb (like me lol) pick up the vita. I'm not a fan of the small analog stick, but that's about it. 

1 hour ago, Cerlayjux said:

Depends on if you are a portable person. I love my vita and play it almost daily but that's because I like the portability. There are some very good games that are exclusive to the vita like Uncharted Golden Abyss and Persona 4. Of course if you are just using it for trophies then there are plenty easy trophy games for that as well.

I find it more doable to be a portable person rather than a console person. Especially when I am going to college during the fall. And, well there are some games i would love to try out that are exclusive to the vita, but also I have my trophy goals. Win-win i would say.

1 hour ago, MandA60VISE said:

If you do plan on buying one know there's no plans for any more digital game sales and the price of the physical version of most games are going up. As well, the Vita only accepts a specific memory card and they're expensive as well but the standard card that comes with it is enough for about 10-20 games depending on game size and if it's physical or digital. I'd suggest comparing prices of physical and digital and focusing on all the physical games you want before everything skyrockets out of proportion.

Thank you for the information! :)

1 hour ago, Yenrou-V2 said:

Depends if you buy it for portability or the games.

I'd recommend checking whether the games that you want to get are compatible with the PSTV and get that instead. I paid 40€ for it like 5 years ago and I haven't touched my Vita since.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can even play with the DS4.

I think ill just stick with the vita for now. Might get the PSTV someday.

1 hour ago, Flubberwunked said:

If you're a big weeb (like me lol) pick up the vita. I'm not a fan of the small analog stick, but that's about it. 

I would say I am a weeb lol, but im just getting the vita to expand my access to other trophies. Even it is more suitable for me to play games hiddenly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yakon-Inflation God said:

Thank you for the replies. I was more worried that my money would be better suited for other games instead of a new console. I do have some recommendations if I do decide to purchase it. Nonetheless, thank you once again.

Getting Vita games will be expensive as hell if you get one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yakon-Inflation God said:

I think so.  The Vita as you may have already heard it a underrated, under appreciated, under supported (by Sony) hand held.  But the games that are there are Gems.  I love the Vita, and swear by it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, shxrpay said:

Are you sure? I’m 99% sure you can’t do that without hacking/modding the Vita, correct me if I’m wrong.

Would be nice if he was right, though. DualShock on Vita would open up a whole world of precision based games on the handheld for me. I know for example I am never touching a fighting game on the Vita. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

Would be nice if he was right, though. DualShock on Vita would open up a whole world of precision based games on the handheld for me. I know for example I am never touching a fighting game on the Vita. 

I second this. OP, I would advise against fighting games on the Vita if you're going for plats. I've done it twice, and had a difficult time both times.

• Like 3

Just now, Yakon-Inflation God said:

Can you elaborate on that more?

For one thing, you don't have L2 nor R2. That's two less options for you to map things to, resulting in harder combo challenges. Also, the lack of "handles" puts more strain on your palms when attempting fast and precise inputs like the long combos seen in BlazBlue.

You will also have to do extra boosting, and we all hate boosting. For example BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend has a trophy for doing a 90-hit combo. On a PS3, you can do it against an idle 2P. On Vita, you either have to boost it or try it against the AI.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Yakon-Inflation God said:

Can you elaborate on that more?

I didn’t see any fighters on your profile with combo challenges that you can relate to, so I’m going to link a video.

Skip to the later half of the video for the really hard stuff. Now imagine doing that with the Vita’s D-Pad or little analog nub. Some people can swing it, but that is definitely not for me.

• Like 1