Worth to purchase -2021-?

LordFrieza8920

11 hours ago, Baka_Marimo said:

Well, I brought up Steam for Persona specifically and for the vast majority of players buying that game physically is just not feasible. I did a quick search and the cheapest offer I could find was 91.19 Euros from Playasia. Add shipping to that and you're at almost 100 bucks. You might be willing to treat yourself to a physical copy but for the average Joe getting it for 20 bucks digitally is just a no-brainer. Plus again, the game will most likely run on the computer they already have so they don't have to buy another dedicated gaming device. I adressed portability in my previous post. While it is a good thing on the surface, for the vast majority of people this is just not relevant because hardly anybody these days is willing to carry an additional mobile device with them next to their smartphone. You are entitled to your opinion about Persona 4 but with all due respect, I doubt that you know the game all that well. You can't actually softlock yourself in Persona 4. If you find yourself unable to beat the boss on the final day before the deadline, all you have to do is leave the TV World upon which you will get a Game Over. Then the game sends you back one week which is easily enough to catch up on any grinding you previously missed.

personaly I rather not play a game at all then getting it digital for even a penny  I refuse to pay for air.  altough I am first to admit physicla isnt everything anymore either to to games being incomplete and requiring patches etc thats the reason I dont care about ps4 or 5 at all or any console after that.

also even if you dont wanna carry an additional device with you (which I highly doubt is a serieus thing anyway)  phone games in general are just bland boring cash grabs that dont even qualify as games if you ask me.  and I dont know anyone who even plays games on their phone.  even so I realy like laying on beb playing a game before going to sleep for example.

and about persona 4I dont know the game well because I wont play it due to the time limit the softlocking thing was more persona in general altough I am pretty sure it applies to persona 4 as well

and yeah realy funn having grinded 10 hours being unable to beat the boss and do all the grinding all over again plus some more try again and hope you cna defeat it then or your screwed again.

I genuily dislike people buying their games digital tbf  because they are the reason gaming for me will end verry soon  at least modern gaming. I just have to accept that though no mather how much it sucks

11 minutes ago, visvoer18 said:

personaly I rather not play a game at all then getting it digital for even a penny  I refuse to pay for air. 

what an odd view of game purchases.

You do know the actual physical disc accounts for like 0.0001% of the price of a physical copy right?

You are paying for the time, effort and resources it took to make the code of the game, not the delivery mechanism used to provide it to you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

what an odd view of game purchases.

You do know the actual physical disc accounts for like 0.0001% of the price of a physical copy right?

You are paying for the time, effort and resources it took to make the code of the game, not the delivery mechanism used to provide it to you.

its not odd al all you dont BUY a digital game its renting them for an unspecified amount of time it can be taken away from you at any moment and you have no controll or say in it.

you never own a digital game ever.

while my phsyical I own and unless I sell it I will still own it in 50 years

9 minutes ago, visvoer18 said:

its not odd al all you dont BUY a digital game its renting them for an unspecified amount of time it can be taken away from you at any moment and you have no controll or say in it.

you never own a digital game ever.

while my phsyical I own and unless I sell it I will still own it in 50 years

Nope.

Its purchasing a licence to use the software, just the same as with a physical copy. 

You don’t own it in either case - all that is different is the delivery of the code to you - either on a disc, or via a download.

In both cases, once you have the code stored somewhere (either by keeping the disc, or by saving on a console or harddrive) it cannot be taken away from you.

In both cases, the ability for you to get it again from the source can be taken away - either by the removal of the code from a store, or the disc going ‘out of print’.

The only real difference is that if a digital game gets corrupted or the hardrive lost, the data can be redownloaded at any point you want to, up to the point that the digital service is discontinued, for free.

If a disc scratches and becomes unplayable, or is lost, you are fucked.

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Nope.

Its purchasing a licence to use the software, just the same as with a physical copy. 

You don’t own it in either case - all that is different is the delivery of the code to you - either on a disc, or via a download.

In both cases, once you have the code stored somewhere (either by keeping the disc, or by saving on a console or harddrive) it cannot be taken away from you.

In both cases, the ability for you to get it again from the source can be taken away - either by the removal of the code from a store, or the disc going ‘out of print’.

The only real difference is that if a digital game gets corrupted or the hardrive lost, the data can be redownloaded at any point you want to, up to the point that the digital service is discontinued, for free.

If a disc scratches and becomes unplayable, or is lost, you are fucked.

digital games have drm just look at the ps3 even if you have them all on a harddrive  when that batery is dead or those servers are down you cat use them anymore.

also even if you have your games on a harddrive if your system dies they are gone when the servers are gone as well

with a physical game I get a new system put it in and can still play said game.

also disc going out of print makes no sense  how does that affct me if I have the game? realy thats not an argument at all

and when the servers are down you can never redownload your stuff your totaly dependant on sony in this case if sony sais we close the store your screwed.

and your final argument thats rich  I own over 3000 games and I never had a game die on me yet  so while it is possible  if you take care of your stuff  it wont hapen anytime soon scratches  on disc only happen due to users unless its an 360 game.

also physical games you cna replace

digital games you cnat replace when servers are down not legal at least

17 minutes ago, visvoer18 said:

digital games have drm just look at the ps3 even if you have them all on a harddrive  when that batery is dead or those servers are down you cat use them anymore.

also even if you have your games on a harddrive if your system dies they are gone when the servers are gone as well

with a physical game I get a new system put it in and can still play said game.

also disc going out of print makes no sense  how does that affct me if I have the game? realy thats not an argument at all

and when the servers are down you can never redownload your stuff your totaly dependant on sony in this case if sony sais we close the store your screwed.

and your final argument thats rich  I own over 3000 games and I never had a game die on me yet  so while it is possible  if you take care of your stuff  it wont hapen anytime soon scratches  on disc only happen due to users unless its an 360 game.

also physical games you cna replace

digital games you cnat replace when servers are down not legal at least

Fair enough - you are clearly very scared of a theoretical future in which Sony closes thier servers - something that has never been so much as hinted at, and is not likely to happen any time soon.  
Certainly not while purchases are virtually guaranteed to be fully digital by the end of this generation.

I’m just not. I do not see that as a likely scenario. Store closures? Sure. Server closure? Nah.

Maybe at some point I’ll be proven wrong, and you can wave a big “I told you so” sign at me ? 

I guess I just find it an odd idea that you are saying the reason you don’t like the idea of digital purchases is that you can’t guarantee personal preservation of the games...

...and yet at the same time saying you care so little for the medium of gaming itself that you would rather miss out on a game than buy it digitally -  and would rather quit gaming entirely than embrace a digital future.

I mean, if the hobby means so little to you that a change in the delivery mechanism is enough to make you quit, then does guaranteeing ‘ownership’ and ‘access’ for every game you buy for 50 years really such a priority?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Fair enough - you are clearly very scared of a theoretical future in which Sony closes thier servers - something that has never been so much as hinted at, and is not likely to happen any time soon.  
Certainly not while purchases are virtually guaranteed to be fully digital by the end of this generation.

I’m just not. I do not see that as a likely scenario. Store closures? Sure. Server closure? Nah.

Maybe at some point I’ll be proven wrong, and you can wave a big “I told you so” sign at me 1f602.png 

I guess I just find it an odd idea that you are saying the reason you don’t like the idea of digital purchases is that you can’t guarantee personal preservation of the games...

...and yet at the same time saying you care so little for the medium of gaming itself that you would rather miss out on a game than buy it digitally -  and would rather quit gaming entirely than embrace a digital future.

I mean, if the hobby means so little to you that a change in the delivery mechanism is enough to make you quit, then does guaranteeing ‘ownership’ and ‘access’ for every game you buy for 50 years really such a priority?

theoretical? lol its 100% gonna happen altough I dont exactly know when it already happened on the wii it happened on the wiiu and it already happened on the dsi as well and it will happen soon on the psp as well

it even happened already on the vita with playstation mobile.

so realy your just plain wrong there

and again you CANT BUY a digital game you RENT it  and its just dumb to think they keep the servers op forever. ofcourse they wont it costs money to keep them up.  and a digital future no one should want  in the first place  because there would be no more competetion at all so no reason for a game to ever become cheaper as well.

finaly I am done talking to you you dont know anything about me  yet you start assuming stuff  thats just plain untrue and even if it was true in no way shape orform would you have the  information to make that assumption at all.

I relay dont mind discussions at all  but relay saying the hobby means hardly anything to me while I own 1000ds of games just makes no sense

so this is my final reply to you

• 1 year later...

I have had an interest in buying a vita, they are pretty cheap and some people sell them with bundles of games for about 150 dollars. But I have absolutely no experience with vita or if it is worth buying. I am also interested in any "essential" vita games to start off my vita experience with, so if you know of any I'd greatly appreciate some recommendations :)

I have had an interest in buying a vita, they are pretty cheap and some people sell them with bundles of games for about 150 dollars. But I have absolutely no experience with vita or if it is worth buying. I am also interested in any "essential" vita games to start off my vita experience with, so if you know of any I'd greatly appreciate some recommendations :)

Depends on what sort of games you’re into. Skimming over your profile, I didn’t see anything jump out at me as saying “Get this person a Vita, they simply must play <x>!” Most of what I’d call the “must-haves” are VNs, JRPGs or JRPG spinoffs that got trapped there and never went anywhere else. Mary Skelter: Nightmares, Soul Sacrifice and Soul Sacrifice DeltaMind ZeroOdin SphereMuramasa, any of the Neptunia titles prior to VII and VIIRPersona 4 Golden, access to Persona 3 Portable via PSP backwards compatibility are the ones that jump immediately to mind. Also Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 (and Peace Walker, again via PSP backwards compatibility) Psychedelica of the Ashen HawkPsychedelica of the Black ButterflyCollar x Malice.

The issue with that is that you can play most of those in other forms on other systems. Neptunia 1 has a PS5 port, Re:VersePersona 3 and 4 are going to be released for PS4 in January. If you have access to a PS3, you can play the MGS collection, that bundles 23, and Peace Walker and controls better. The other stuff I have for Vita is either kind of niche (and honestly, sometimes not very good) like Corpse Party: Blood DriveNightCry or Silent Hill: Book of Memories or you can get for PS3, PS4 or through PS+ tiers (like Dragon’s CrownSly Cooper: Thieves in TimeBlazBlueMortal Kombat 9, or Disgaea 3.)

The only others of note I can think of offhand are Little Big Planet Vita and Uncharted: Golden AbyssLBP is kinda “meh” (and prone to save corruption), and Golden Abyss is definitely one of the weaker Uncharted titles.

All that said, I love the Vita to death for what it was and what it tried to do, and I still pick at my library on it semi-frequently. There just isn’t a lot of stand out content that I recall that isn’t available through other means, and between the prices on cartridges going up and the PS Store’s hassles (and potential looming closure), feeding it may soon become a difficult and expensive habit.

Edited by Ashande
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ashande said:

Depends on what sort of games you’re into. Skimming over your profile, I didn’t see anything jump out at me as saying “Get this person a Vita, they simply must play <x>!” Most of what I’d call the “must-haves” are VNs, JRPGs or JRPG spinoffs that got trapped there and never went anywhere else. Mary Skelter: Nightmares, Soul Sacrifice and Soul Sacrifice DeltaMind ZeroOdin SphereMuramasa, any of the Neptunia titles prior to VII and VIIRPersona 4 Golden, access to Persona 3 Portable via PSP backwards compatibility are the ones that jump immediately to mind. Also Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 (and Peace Walker, again via PSP backwards compatibility) Psychedelica of the Ashen HawkPsychedelica of the Black ButterflyCollar x Malice.

The issue with that is that you can play most of those in other forms on other systems. Neptunia 1 has a PS5 port, Re:VersePersona 3 and 4 are going to be released for PS4 in January. If you have access to a PS3, you can play the MGS collection, that bundles 23, and Peace Walker and controls better. The other stuff I have for Vita is either kind of niche (and honestly, sometimes not very good) like Corpse Party: Blood DriveNightCry or Silent Hill: Book of Memories or you can get for PS3, PS4 or through PS+ tiers (like Dragon’s CrownSly Cooper: Thieves in TimeBlazBlueMortal Kombat 9, or Disgaea 3.)

The only others of note I can think of offhand are Little Big Planet Vita and Uncharted: Golden AbyssLBP is kinda “meh” (and prone to save corruption), and Golden Abyss is definitely one of the weaker Uncharted titles.

All that said, I love the Vita to death for what it was and what it tried to do, and I still pick at my library on it semi-frequently. There just isn’t a lot of stand out content that I recall that isn’t available through other means, and between the prices on cartridges going up and the PS Store’s hassles (and potential looming closure), feeding it may soon become a difficult and expensive habit.

This^

The Vita is a nice little system but a lot of the games are available on other platforms and are often cheaper and run better over there than they do on a Vita. Also, just like the PS3, the Vita has a lousy storefront that's a pain to navigate and the prices are stupidly high for certain games. If you're going to get a Vita, it's best to focus on the exclusives and not the cross-platform titles but do note that just like the PS3, the Vita will likely be seeing a big increase in server closures over the next couple of years as playerbases for certain games, decline to unprofitable levels (some big titles have already closed e.g. LBP) so single player only titles are recommended to avoid this. Do note though that certain games/stacks are hard to find and cost the earth to acquire so know what you're getting in to when researching the ones you're into.

• Like 1

Freedom Wars is a nice game that hasn't been released elsewhere as far as I know. Not sure if that with a few more exclusives would make it worth buying a Vita. But if you like handheld consoles and Vita's game library, go for it. At least then you won't end up thinking "I wish I had bought a Vita while they were still available".

• Like 1