Anyone with ps3 fat hardware knowledge can help me with this plz

Edge-messi

Hello, So I bought this used ps3 80gb mgs bundle that run ps2 games. I just received it yesterday and when I start playing games this area that I highlighted is becoming real hot and most important it smells like something is burning inside ? I’m seriously scared that this ps3 will explode in my face lol. I don’t have any knowledge about this issue plz let me know if I should be worried or its just a normal issue that the fat version has. 

thx 

https://ibb.co/Gp1LSL9

^photo of the area that bring the burning smell, sorry idk how to upload 

Maybe it's just because dust.

Same as house electric heating system, after turn them off whole summer/autumn, they collect dust, and when you turn them on for the first time in winter it's also smell as burn for few hours, then you are ok.

But if you still smell that after many hours of playing so that's probably an other issue.

I remember when I played tekken ps2 games into my ps3 fat, 10 years ago, i had the feeling to play a ps4 game ?

2 hours ago, Sombroff said:

Maybe it's just because dust.

Same as house electric heating system, after turn them off whole summer/autumn, they collect dust, and when you turn them on for the first time in winter it's also smell as burn for few hours, then you are ok.

But if you still smell that after many hours of playing so that's probably an other issue.

I remember when I played tekken ps2 games into my ps3 fat, 10 years ago, i had the feeling to play a ps4 game 1f606.png

I did test it again 1h ago and I feel the heat has been reduced a little bit was playing urban region ps2 game and it does play great but sometimes stuck in black screen. Better then nothing 

1 hour ago, grimydawg___ said:

How long did it burn?  My PS3 is a fat one.

I did play with it the first time I received it 2 days ago 2h, Was testing only ps2 games,But today its feel better. Maybe it wasn’t powered on long time. Its a used console that I bought from ebay 

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Needs to be opened up and cleaned. Should also replace the thermal compound in it, it would be bone dry after all of these years

Yup I'm guessing it need to be cleaned from dust inside. Sadly this version doesn’t support self dust clean like the other new model. Unfortunately I don't have the confidence to open it up probably because I might ruined it lol 

One of the first things you need to do after buying a backwards compability PS3 model is to open it and replace the thermal paste. 

The system is old, the thermal paste inside is probably rock solid by now. You can do it yourself at home with good quality paste, a video guide and the right equipment 

If you are afraid to do it, you can always find someone with enough knowledge that fixes it for you

• Like 1

Pull power lead out of the back of PS3 and hold eject button then put power lead back in until you hear the fans spin very loud then let go of the eject button and let it finish its self clean.

if that don't sort the smell just open it up clean dust out and replace thermal paste with a good quality one.

be warned if it has never done self clean you might get a lot of dust blow out the back of it.

37 minutes ago, ZACHSP8 said:

Pull power lead out of the back of PS3 and hold eject button then put power lead back in until you hear the fans spin very loud then let go of the eject button and let it finish its self clean.

if that don't sort the smell just open it up clean dust out and replace thermal paste with a good quality one.

be warned if it has never done self clean you might get a lot of dust blow out the back of it.

Unfortunately this method doesn’t work with backwards compatible models. I did try it earlier. Thx anyway :) 

1 hour ago, maiathewinners said:

One of the first things you need to do after buying a backwards compability PS3 model is to open it and replace the thermal paste. 

The system is old, the thermal paste inside is probably rock solid by now. You can do it yourself at home with good quality paste, a video guide and the right equipment 

If you are afraid to do it, you can always find someone with enough knowledge that fixes it for you

Thx I’ll look for someone around here to clean it up hopefully I’ll find one 

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

My advice is to lay the system horizontally & use a PS2 for PS2 games.

Ps3 runs the games smoother but not all games unfortunate, I did try crash twinsanity earlier and it was freezing at the start, the game is unplayable. 

there is another model 60gb one. That one runs the games perfectly but always comes with heat issues 

And yup I agree ps2 is the best way to play ps2 games but I just don't like the controller and the video quality anymore 

1 hour ago, ZACHSP8 said:

Wait, there's a self cleaning mode?  It took me over 6 years to learn this

The hot air leaving the exhaust, is it hot enough that leaving your hand near it is uncomfortable?

It's been mentioned already but to reiterate it most likely needs a good deep clean, we're talking disassembly, compressed air, IPA and new thermal paste/pads.

Given this has been sitting storage for awhile before you bought it and has some insect tenants,  you could be just burning them off through usage.

If you're not familiar with deep cleaning at a component level your devices then best seek out a repair place that can do it.

Will say a PS3 with PS2 BC be it hardware or software emulation are pretty rare/expensive, kudos to you in tracking one down and buying it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Edge-messi said:

Ps3 runs the games smoother but not all games unfortunate, I did try crash twinsanity earlier and it was freezing at the start, the game is unplayable. 

there is another model 60gb one. That one runs the games perfectly but always comes with heat issues 

And yup I agree ps2 is the best way to play ps2 games but I just don't like the controller and the video quality anymore 

There is a PS2 HDMI upscaler you can buy for the quality.

But as for the PS3, can you not contact the seller and tell them about the issue?

1 hour ago, Edge-messi said:

Not even the hardware based 60 gig can run all ps2 games, or perfectly. It uses one of the later PS2 hardware, and some games don't work at all on that one

9 hours ago, Fro_Jangles said:

Wait, there's a self cleaning mode?  It took me over 6 years to learn this

Yup there is but really not that great tbh.

and its not available for my model 

8 hours ago, Null_Spectre said:

The hot air leaving the exhaust, is it hot enough that leaving your hand near it is uncomfortable?

It's been mentioned already but to reiterate it most likely needs a good deep clean, we're talking disassembly, compressed air, IPA and new thermal paste/pads.

Given this has been sitting storage for awhile before you bought it and has some insect tenants,  you could be just burning them off through usage.

If you're not familiar with deep cleaning at a component level your devices then best seek out a repair place that can do it.

Will say a PS3 with PS2 BC be it hardware or software emulation are pretty rare/expensive, kudos to you in tracking one down and buying it.

Yeah bro that area becomes scary hot over the time. I had the ps3 slim version and never had heat issues.

I will continue playing and testing all my ps2 games which i have a lot of, until I finish all this games I’ll check how hot it will becomes 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

There is a PS2 HDMI upscaler you can buy for the quality.

But as for the PS3, can you not contact the seller and tell them about the issue?

Its a used old console and its working just fine. And I’m guessing all the fat model have heat issues thats what I read. 
thx 

8 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not even the hardware based 60 gig can run all ps2 games, or perfectly. It uses one of the later PS2 hardware, and some games don't work at all on that one

I have like 20+ game and yup your right some games don’t run or freezes like crash twinsanity. I’ll keep testing all games that i have and finish them and see. 

3 hours ago, Edge-messi said:

Its a used old console and its working just fine. And I’m guessing all the fat model have heat issues thats what I read. 
thx 

I have like 20+ game and yup your right some games don’t run or freezes like crash twinsanity. I’ll keep testing all games that i have and finish them and see. 

It hasn't been updated in awhile, so it is incomplete, but you can see them here https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3

Also I haven't seen this mentioned yet but until it's had a deep clean don't go using it for long periods of time. 

My PS3 BC had issues with heat, I left it to long and it softened the solders around the video chip, took me about a week to make sure everything was secure and working fine after disassembling. They are renowned for getting warm but it's always worth changing the pads/thermal paste anyway to avoid even more of an headache. 

• 3 weeks later...