So...What should I expect going into this game?

Been eyeing this game for a while and want to try for the Plat but from what I can tell it will consume your entire life. I've also seen that apparently you need certain hardware like a keyboard to have a chance. Seems like pure madness to me. On the other hand the rarity is very attempting to go for, I just don't want my life to be consumed for a whole year or something.

Edited by Cerlayjux

It's very very difficult that takes a lot of skill and RNG to do. You'll likely spend 1,000+ hours going for it, and there's no guarantee you'll be able to do it. The keyboard isn't necessary, but helps immensely so I've heard.

And yes, it is complete madness. I have it on switch, and I could not imagine ever being able to get the plat for it if I ever decide to double dip.

Don't get me wrong though... It is a fantastic, fun game, but I can't say that I'd be willing to put 1,000 hours into it. I beat all the zones with cadence and a couple of other characters once (not straight, but in pieces) and that was hard enough for me.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

Yes, I highly recommend you start and plat the game because you have the Badland plat and 252 ultra rare trophies!! So you can definitely do it

I only have 71 ultra rare trophies and have Coda cleared?

The game never gets boring due to awesome music soundtrack + random levels layout.

You can stack the trophies for both all chars and all chars low%, so no need to do 2 all chars run. And for Coda u can get her trophy in a 20% easier way instead of a regular All-Zones mode: Phasing mode (a mode in DLC which permanetly gives you an overpowered item called Ring of Phasing).

Green bats rng trophy will come naturally while going for the platinum.

Keyboard is not required but recommended. You can do it all with a controller just how SlimSanta94, Danny_Johansen and Xenomorfi2 did it.

If you hate the D-pad: The in-game settings allows you to remap the movement buttons to the right side of the controller(triangle, square, O, X) .

• Like 3

No one talks too much about it, but the game has a training modes - for bosses, for npc’s. for example It can be useful if you got stack on some movement of any npc somewhere in 3 or 4 zone. I used this training room sometimes after watching my death replay to work on my faults.
Anyway you can play the zone separately, but keep in mind this ability. Can be helpful to watch closer at one of the enemies. It helps me in my way to plat... or not... idk)) this game is not for trophy hunters only, you need to like it anyway

• Like 2

Also i would like to mention that it is important to back up the save file after unlocking Coda (Coda is unlocked after an all 9 chars run) because the game sometimes crashes and corrupts your save file. Back up of the save file can be done on a USB or ps plus save cloud or even in-game cross play save.

Edited by stealthlevel100
  • Like 4

On 6/3/2021 at 0:42 PM, stealthlevel100 said:

Yes, I highly recommend you start and plat the game because you have the Badland plat and 252 ultra rare trophies!! So you can definitely do it

I only have 71 ultra rare trophies and have Coda cleared1f602.png

The game never gets boring due to awesome music soundtrack + random levels layout.

You can stack the trophies for both all chars and all chars low%, so no need to do 2 all chars run. And for Coda u can get her trophy in a 20% easier way instead of a regular All-Zones mode: Phasing mode (a mode in DLC which permanetly gives you an overpowered item called Ring of Phasing).

Green bats rng trophy will come naturally while going for the platinum.

Keyboard is not required but recommended. You can do it all with a controller just how SlimSanta94, Danny_Johansen and Xenomorfi2 did it.

If you hate the D-pad: The in-game settings allows you to remap the movement buttons to the right side of the controller(triangle, square, O, X) .

I've been seriously considering it. I actually watched @floriiss and his all character low % run and it was hectic. Not impossible but I'm sure the practice time was insane.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cerlayjux said:

I've been seriously considering it. I actually watched @floriiss and his all character low % run and it was hectic. Not impossible but I'm sure the practice time was insane.

It is. This is a quote from him describing how he went for this plat: 

Started playing NecroDancer in February, 2016. The first two months I played mostly NecroDancer, but occasionally some other games in between. At that time I was playing through the game at my own pace. Nothing too serious about it. Simply enjoying the game. After those two months had past I had obtained all of the trophies except for the two hardest on the list (Coda and lowest). I'm estimating that took me about 150 hours.

At that point I decided to entirely focus on clearing Coda (:gold:Impossible, Right?). From here on things got serious. A lot more serious. Coda is very demanding and in order to beat this character I knew that I had to put a tremendous amount of time and effort into it. This was the moment where I got really obsessed with the game. At that time I played Crypt of the NecroDancer every single day for two months straight, approximately 4 to 5 hours on a daily basis. Some days more, some days less. Almost no variety with other games.

After those two months had past (approximately 300 hours of playtime) I had finally cleared Coda. One of my proudest gaming achievements to date, but the entire proces had me exhausted. I had seen so much NecroDancer in those months that whenever I closed my eyes I could still see myself playing the game (that was a joke btw. Not really, but you get the point). At that time I decided to take a break from the game. A long break. Like a reeeeeaaaaally long break. One year to be exact. 

When I came back to the game I focussed on the last trophy (:gold:Lowest of the low) for about 2.5 - 3 months, Probably around 400+ hours of playtime. This was also a very demanding and exhausting proces, but during this time I didn't go full crazy like I went with Coda. At that time I played some other games in between as well. Even though this last trophy on the list was also very stressful, at least having some variety with other games made the proces a little bit more enjoyable. Definitely better than what I had experienced during Coda. Thats a place and time where I would never want to go back to, honestly. It made me a different person. Not in a positive way.

Another achiever, k1ttyloaf, wrote the following: 

Idk it took my about 6- 8 hours a day practice for almost a year on a keyboard. 

And that's what I've seen from other players as well. I was in SlimSanta's discord during the time when he was grinding lowest of the low, and I've been talking quite a bit with Miles while he was going for Coda during the past months. In both cases... they just needed to be constantly playing this game. Day in, day out. Didn't matter if I would go online during the day, in the evening, on a weekday, on a weekend.. they were there, grinding NecroDancer. Failing, trying again. And again. And again. 

And that's the thing with this game. Eventually you'll reach a point where playing 30 minutes each day doesn't do anything for you. Eventually you will have to play 2-3 hours every day if you want to see any improvement in your playing. (That's the point where I'm personally at, and the reason I have - for the time being - stoped playing this game). 

It won't necessarily consume your life. But it will most certainly require you to dedicate to it almost all of your available gaming time, for a very long time. 

That being said, it is an incredibly fun game with a ton of replayability. But, you need to be willing to put in the practice. You can get pretty much everything done trophy-wise in 150-200 hours, and will still have to practice for 700+ hours for the two remaining challenges. 

And as for the controller / keyboard thing... It definitely is not necessary, as has been proven by at least three platinum achievers thus far. I believe that Danny completed the game with a controller and in less than 800 hours (really fast, am I right?). 
  • Like 2

Tbh I use a keyboard too(bought a used Xim Apex adapter) but I really support controller usage to encourage players that do not want to buy an additional peripheral. Smzthyy cleared Coda twice using a controller. Also, R2rokid cleared Lowest of the Low (all chars run low%) using a controller. Both of them mapped the movement controllers to XOtriangle square instead of Dpad in the game's settings.

• Like 4

I checked X-DAY1206's twitter. X-DAY1206 got all the necrodancer trophies using a controller without a keyboard. In the comments, someone asked Xday whether a keyboard was used, Xday replied by saying only a controller was used?. Also, my guess is that xday used the dpad for movement like SlimSanta94 because in the plat screenshot, dagger throw is mapped to X.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Let's say that the game requires really a lot of time if you want the plat (more or less 1000 hours) and you must play almost every day to see progress. Talking about my experience I played it for 3 or 4 months where I learned the basics of the game and how to play with every characters, after a little break I spent other 3 or 4 months to do everything else and get the platinum, I played almost every day for six or seven hours at day more or less (yeah it will take you some times). I cleared everything with a controller, I just moved movements on the right side of the pad, I will say that a keyboard would probably help you, but you can start with the pad and see how it goes!

Aside from trophies it is really a good and unique game, good luck if you will attempt to take the plat! 

• Like 2

After unlocking my coda trophy 2 days ago, I believe that anyone, no matter how bad is he, can complete this game and get that platinum. It will just take time to practice of course. Patient is the key because if you keep raging or lose your mind when you die a lot then this game isn’t for you (generally speaking). As for the keyboard, you can really get a cheap adapter for it (got my keyboard and adapter for about $40) so it’s not bad. However, you can play with a controller and get a general feeling of this game, maybe complete an all chars run with a controller before switching to a keyboard ( is what i did ?).

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Welcome! Crypt is a Hardcore, Roguelike, Dungeon Crawler, Permadeath, RNG based, Rhythm game. No matter what, all your actions are tied to the beat, and all the monsters around you are also required to dance to the beat however, some have different movement patterns and may react slower or faster than other monsters. The first thing you should do is to turn off the Heart HUD, as it covering the beat bars in the middle of the screen, making it hard to tell if you are falling behind the song or dancing perfectly to the beat. There is song being played every floor depending on how fast the song is that is how fast you have to move to stay on beat, Offbeats are lifesavers as they allow you to slightly sync off the song without this all your inputs would have to be perfect depending on how fast the song is the offbeat will become more and more strict how many off sync inputs before ultimately dropping the beat, missed beats are insanely terrifying as it stops you from moving which can create unavoidable hits if you happen to miss a beat in front of a monster another thing that sucks is most of these characters all spawn with the one tile dagger which makes it, so you have to be face to face with the monster to even attack them one miss beat can create an unavoidable hit which either does barely any damage or so much damage it one shots your character. Successfully dancing to the beat and killing a certain amount of monsters will increase the amount of gold you get when killing a monster, which you can use to buy items from the singing shopkeeper, The shopkeeper also has a chance to be monstrous, which makes it so he attacks you straight away when you enter the shop, killing him makes all the items free, and the shopkeeper will be back to normal next floor. Once you complete three floors, it will throw you into a boss fight which is completely random each time and progressively becomes tougher to defeat the further you go into the crypt, Successfully defeating a boss without dropping the beat and without taking any damage will grant you a "Flawless Victory!" and spawns three chest near the exit which are 100% free. Choose wisely as you can only open one chest then the other chest will despawn. As for weapons, the spear is the best weapon in the game. It's a long range weapon, so for once you can keep your distance and poke enemies, could also be useful in case you drop a beat for once you can avoid an unavoidable hit with a long range weapon. Throwing your weapon can be a lifesaver if you don't feel like finding something to buffer the beat, or you have an unavoidable hit incoming. You could always throw your weapon to buffer the beat for two beats, but most of the time you shouldn't throw it anyways as you are wasting more time in the song, and you are throwing your only weapon. The current objective every floor is to defeat the mini boss in time before the song ends, not defeating the mini boss in time will have you fight the mini boss and a few monsters in a closed area at the start of the next floor. In total, there are nine characters plus one secret character. Every character is unique and is played very differently some are very easy, while others have some pretty deadly disadvantages. Good Luck!

Edited by Kimura Takahashi
  • Like 2