THE NIGHTMARE IS OVER

Stargazer14096

39 minutes ago, postofficebuddy said:

Congratulations! Interesting idea with the second PS4. Wish I had thought of that when I was doing my runs. It probably would have helped out tremendously with my nerves. I practically had a nervous breakdown any time I got close on the last 3 iron men. 

Thanks! Yeah, that's why I was curious too if anyone else had thought of it before. If not, hopefully me putting this out there can help someone else get the plat too, one day.

Doing the same thing with a PS4 and Vita (or even two Vitas) is also theoretically possible if that's all that's available to you at the moment, but it didn't work nearly as well when I tried it. The shift in button layout between PS4 and Vita was too jarring, and too many times my thumb would get confused whether to go up (as in the PS4) or down (as in the Vita) to hit the pause button and exit to map. But that's just me lol

Here's my run btw in case anyone's curious. I hope something I did here can help someone else smooth out their runs, so that I can pay forward, even just a little bit, all the help I've received from this forum. Best of luck to everyone still going for this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDSP777 said:

I just wanted to share this accomplishment somewhere. After almost 6 years, I finally managed to platinum this beast.

I remember first playing SMB back in mid-2015 when it initially got released, since it was free on launch for PS+. In some ways, I knew what I was getting into, since I'd read articles about how hard the trophy list was gonna be, but in other ways, I had no idea.

Now, I was no stranger to hard or time-consuming plats at this point. Some of my earliest plats included Vanquish (hard) and RDR1 (time consuming), so I was down to take on the challenge posed by SMB. Now, the worlds start off relatively tame. I was actually able to Iron Man Light Forest during my first day of playing. Throughout my first few months of playing, I was steadily knocking out one Iron Man after another, up until my 10th, Light Cotton Alley, right before the year ended. By this point, I had two Iron Man runs left, Dark Rapture and Dark Cotton Alley, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that both these worlds are mind-bendingly insane. I told myself I'd plat SMB before I graduated college in 2017, but clearly, that didn't happen LOL. I put in a lot of practice for Dark Rapture but it just wasn't happening at the time. Eventually, I got a PS4 (all 10 of my Iron Mans thus far were done on a Vita), moved on to other games, and SMB got tossed to the backlog. But throughout the years, there was always this looming feeling that one day I'd knock this little bugger out.

Fast forward to 2021, I decided to shake off the rust, and slowly started practicing Dark Rapture again, this time on the PS4. And honestly, playing on the PS4 vs the Vita feels so much better. Now I don't know if anyone else had thought of this before, but I had a plan to conquer Dark Rapture, which was facilitated by me having two PS4s. During the Iron Man run, when I'd come up to a particularly tricky or crucial level, I'd run it first on the sub PS4, preferably do the level about 5x in a row, and only then running it for real on the main PS4. This worked just as well as I thought it would in calming down my nerves (which are usually going crazy by the time I'm 16-17 levels into an Iron Man, especially on these last two worlds), and I managed to Iron Man Dark Rapture during my first day of really attempting it.

And then there was one.

Even though it had been 6 years since I last attempted running it, I still had a little bit of muscle memory I was able to rely on for Dark Rapture, from my practice runs way back. Unfortunately, I couldn't really say the same for Dark Cotton Alley, which I only really started practicing this month. But a few weeks later, the nightmare is finally over. Dark Cotton Alley definitely has the trickiest levels of the entire game, but with enough practice, focus, determination, and a good amount of luck, it's very doable.

My run order was 2, 1, 9, 16, 20, (2), 3-8, 11-15, 17-19, 10. I was so out of it during the final run, I forgot I already did 2 at the start so I unintentionally did it twice HAHAHAHA. I didn't really think that run was gonna be it, but when I cleared 15, I knew there was a good chance for a successful run. I only actually ended up using the sub PS4 for the last level (this is when the game gets paused for a few mins), since I absolutely DID NOT want to F it up so close to the finish line. I've also had my fair share of near misses, and yes, they hurt real bad every time lol

I also want to give a shoutout to the people in this forum. Your tips on Impossible Boy definitely helped raise the overall consistency of my runs immensely. Nearly all of the levels suck if you don't know what to do, so knowing is definitely half the battle here. There are too many people to mention, but if you've ever written a guide here for a Dark Cotton Alley level, no matter how short or long it was, I've probably read it LOL, so thanks a lot!

With all that said, 6 years, hundreds of hours (I honestly have no idea how long I've been playing this game now), and almost 32000 deaths later, I can finally put this game behind me. Despite all the pain, anxiety, and suffering caused, I absolutely love this game, and it will always be among my personal top indie games of all time. I think I'll wait a bit before running Super Meat Boy Forever though, I need a break 1f605.png

On to the next!

194048525_4179187792139824_1784537078671

Congratssssssssss!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MDSP777 said:

I just wanted to share this accomplishment somewhere. After almost 6 years, I finally managed to platinum this beast.

Congrats :D I hope I get there somewhen too.

20 hours ago, XxIsa-GxX said:

I should return to this game at some point but the last three no-death trophies seem really daunting (Zombie Boy, Girl Boy, and Impossible Boy)... Congratulations though mate.

Ohhh yes you should if not you who could beat this game?

Congrats man ! I'm working on Impossible boy since a bit more than a week now. Yesterday I did 16 levels before dying on 7-5x ?

Today I did some good progress too. 

I hope to achieve it soon cause my nerves need to take a long and calm break ?

Edit : Finaly I did it ! It tooks me 2 weeks to master the levels from Dark Cotton Alley ??

Edited by raphi_boss67
  • Like 1

Congrats, glad to hear you never gave up and are now joining the elite ?

Funny enough the more I think about it, after conquering that beast of a game, anytime I see buzzsaws in other games I just laugh maniacally, thinking to myself "you ain't shit compared to the hell that is Cotton Alley"  ??

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 2

Congratulations for this insane plat. You have succeeded where I have given up in a similar situation, starting the game in 2015, playing on and off, and finally attempting to cross the finish line. After getting Zombier Boy in 2019 and Girl Boy in mid 2020, I attempted Impossible Boy and decided after a few weeks that it was beyond my abilities, as there was no visible improvement and it was nowhere near a halfway decent run, getting too hopeless to bother with it any further after so much time was already sunk in. The idea with the two consoles is definitely something I personally have never heard of before, so bonus points for creativity in that regard. Success stories like these are always fun to read in any case:highfive:

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 0:23 PM, REAPER4536 said:

Ohhh yes you should if not you who could beat this game?

I really don't consider myself as anywhere near good but if I can manage to finish up, it's safe to say that anyone can as long as they have the perseverance and the will.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...