Bioshock 4.....PS Exclusive???

Champ147

As the title states, thoughts?

Here is one of now many articles out there. 

https://www.dualshockers.com/bioshock-4-might-be-playstation-exclusive-according-to-leak/?amp

Personally I don't mind this. While Sony does have tons more exclusive titles overall, they are lacking a little in the FPS genre compared to MS. 

Another article...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamerant.com/bioshock-4-ps5-exclusive/amp/

Edited by Champ147
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

The PlayStation is outperforming the Xbox in terms of sales (...) It's also a good move by Sony after the Bethesda acquisition.

Yup.

Smart for 2K to team up with the leading system seller.

Smart for Sony to keep beefing up their exclusive's catalog.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has to outright buy the developers to get exclusives ?

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Champ147 said:

As the title states, thoughts?

Here is one of now many articles out there. 

https://www.dualshockers.com/bioshock-4-might-be-playstation-exclusive-according-to-leak/?amp

Personally I don't mind this. While Sony does have tons more exclusive titles overall, they are lacking a little in the FPS genre compared to MS

Another article...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamerant.com/bioshock-4-ps5-exclusive/amp/

Speaking of past Sony FPS' - maybe Sony should reconsider Resistance and Kill Zone by expanding Insomniac and Guerilla Games studios' to work on these titles or by a new developer? 

But yes, this is a great strategy by Sony and 2K. 

• Like 4

I hope this is false, I’m 100% against 3rd-party exclusives. They’re just anti-consumer, I know they make sense for Sony/Microsoft which is why we get so many but it’s stupid (and sort of pathetic) to see fellow gamers taking pleasure in any of these exclusivity deals.

1st-party exclusives are fair/understandable, personally I have very little interest in Sony’s 1st party games (I’ve only ever played the Team Ico games, PS1/PS2-era Gran Turismo and Spider-Man PS4) so it was nice to know if Nintendo got their **** together and made decent hardware or if Xbox locked in someone like Capcom/Sega (even just for Gamepass) I could switch platforms without losing anything I enjoy.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, the_real_culture said:

Speaking of past Sony FPS' - maybe Sony should reconsider Resistance and Kill Zone by expanding Insomniac and Guerilla Games studios' to work on these titles or by a new developer? 

I'd love to see more Killzone and Resistance. Though I wasn't a big fan of the last Killzone, all the Resistance games on the other hand I enjoyed. 

As for Bioshock, my guess is timed exclusive. And I'm also guessing anything Bethesda will also be timed exclusive for MS. MS will still make money by selling Bethesda games on other platforms after all, and not putting them on the leading console seller would be stupid. 

You're all looking at this pretty naively. Or at least with unhealthy amounts of wishful thinking.

Exclusives sell, and they make business sense for both companies. In the end it's not a crime that companies chase profits/sales/market increase regardless of how you feel about the way they are doing it. Unless they piss off or pull a move that would be against a vast majority of players (which I assure you they won't) they will do what makes commercial sense.

I'd like to play the next Fallout game, but if it's an XBOX/PC exclusive - oh well

Also I'd like another Days Gone and Killzone but Guerrilla will surely focus solely on AAA*A* Horizon since it will for sure outperform the aforementioned.

I'd like EA to stop doing the MTX/Live-service bullshit but unfortunately it makes them billions so a solid new Mass Effect title is far from certain.

In the end the market will decide and companies will adjust. If everyone stopped spending billions on SHARK cards and FIFA booster packs the practice would stop. If everyone stopped buying downgrade/buggy/grey goo repeated releases (Ubisoft titles) they would likely make a serious effort to improve or innovate (no news on BGE2). If everyone seriously boycotted a release no matter how great if it turned out the devs were exploited, abused, cheated out of bonuses for their work (Gearbox) it would stop happening.

For the topic of Bioshock I loved 1 & 2, if anyone remembers Infinite what it was promised what it ended up... for me it was a disappointment. I'd love a new Bioshock games that can live up to the first two. I'd love it if everyone could play it - I'm not any happier if it's an A or B exclusive. But if, trusting the leaks, Sony saw potential in a high-budget Bioshock IP and poured millions into development? You can be damn sure it they'll want that money back through sales and people using that among other things to buy PS5's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EverythingOnFire said:

I hope the rumor is false. This wouldn't be fair to fans of the Bioshock series. In some cases it's understandable, like when Platinum Games had to make Bayonetta a Nintendo exclusive because they couldn't afford to produce it themselves and no one else was willing to help pay for it, but yeah, otherwise I think it's a very dishonorable thing to do.

Having said that, the video game industry has ruined the word "exclusive." This could be a console exclusive, a timed exclusive, or a timed console exclusive. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I also dislike this kind of move, same as I hated Microsoft acquiring Bethesta and potentially making the ESO series an Xbox exclusive. It would be highly hypocritical of me (and many of us) to approve the same move when made by Sony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the_real_culture said:

Funny you mentioned Resistance and Killzone, I wouldn't mind if they bothered to re-release an HD Definition of Resistance and Killzone if they aren't going to make a new entry in the franchises. As I recall, R3 tied up the ending and KZ Shadowfall is sort of a spinoff. I'm still waiting on a Resistance prequel on the Russian front and finally some answers on the Cloven.

On the thread's topic. I'm not surprised that Bioshock would go the exclusive route with the higher selling console. I would have preferred it if they kept it open across all consoles as it would cut down on the whole Console Vs Consoles cuz exclusive arguments.

• Like 1

I just hope this stupid sh*t of temporary EXCLUSIVES can finish soon, if you want a game EXCLUSIVE on console , make that EXCLUSIVE permanent.. With that money Sony could make games for our favorite PLAYSTATION brand like Twisted metal , Medievil, i want that they invest money in their own Studios  not making the same silly movements of Microsoft.

10 minutes ago, dakk55 said:

Funny you mentioned Resistance and Killzone, I wouldn't mind if they bothered to re-release an HD Definition of Resistance and Killzone if they aren't going to make a new entry in the franchises. As I recall, R3 tied up the ending and KZ Shadowfall is sort of a spinoff. I'm still waiting on a Resistance prequel on the Russian front and finally some answers on the Cloven.

On the thread's topic. I'm not surprised that Bioshock would go the exclusive route with the higher selling console. I would have preferred it if they kept it open across all consoles as it would cut down on the whole Console Vs Consoles cuz exclusive arguments.

I Will like a remaster of all resistance saga and killzone with multiplayer, i haven't played both sagas :(

On 6/1/2021 at 9:08 AM, Champ147 said:

Personally I don't mind this. While Sony does have tons more exclusive titles overall, they are lacking a little in the FPS genre compared to MS. 

MS has Halo, Perfect Dark and um...

On 6/1/2021 at 11:04 AM, scemopagliaccioh said:

Good.

As soon as Xbox  kicks the bucket, we’ll finally have a new console that, hopefully,  puts up a challenge  and stops Sony from doing whatever they want.

If MS ever dropped out of the console market no one would take their place. They're one of the richest companies in the world, if they can't make a successful console then what company could?

All the third parties making software are pretty content with staying that way.

7 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

When I posted it I also had Quantum Break and the Gears series in my head, on top of the two you listed. Not that 3-4 titles is a lot but what does Sony have? I can only think of Uncharted as the last one and it's been wrapped up and done with no more planned. And even that was still years ago.

8 minutes ago, Champ147 said:

When I posted it I also had Quantum Break and the Gears series in my head, on top of the two you listed. Not that 3-4 titles is a lot but what does Sony have? I can only think of Uncharted as the last one and it's been wrapped up and done with no more planned. And even that was still years ago.

None of the titles you mentioned are FPS games. They are 3rd person.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Champ147 said:

In terms of FPS, you’re right - Sony has always been light on exclusive FPS games.
Traditionally it was Killzone, but that franchise seems to be back-seated for now.

Uncharted and half the games you mentioned aren’t FPS either, they are TPS’s, but I’m guessing you are just meaning shooter games of either stripe.

I guess technically most of the shooters that use PSVR are ‘fist person shooters’ - and since MS and Nintendo have no VR platforms, they would, by definition be ‘Sony Console Exclusives’ - but that’s probably more a ‘letter of the law and not the spirit’ type answer!

To be honest, does Bioshock even really fall in FPS? I mean, yes, it is in first person, and yes, it has shooting - but generally the Bioshock games are considered Immersive Sims, and those are pretty much in their own category.

What I mean by that is - if someone was looking for something like Call of Duty, you wouldn’t necessarily recommend a Bioshock, but you might if they were looking for something similar to Prey or Dishonoured or Deus Ex.

8 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

If MS ever dropped out of the console market no one would take their place. They're one of the richest companies in the world, if they can't make a successful console then what company could?

All the third parties making software are pretty content with staying that way.

They’re definitely one of the richest, yes, but they hardly put any effort into seriously competing with Sony,  and I cannot exactly fault them, as they have a pretty diversified  market, unlike Sony, which has the PlayStation as its number one priority, what they did with Bethesda, Ninja Theory, Obsidian etc, for example, they could have done that  much much earlier, instead of at the dawn of a new generation, where majority of customers didn’t even know if some of those famous series were going to be exclusives or not.