Kal2210

Platinum Percentage

26 posts in this topic

So, while not a 10/10 difficulty, this game has been quite challenging while going through it. I am fairly decent at platformers so I always knew I’d be able to get the plat, but 17.3% is…quite surprising. Is there something I’m missing?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kal2210 said:

Is there something I’m missing?

 

You're missing this:

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

 

You're missing this:

 

 

That requires local co-op and a friend with the platinum. I doubt many people used this exploit.

 

17% is reasonable. The game is above average difficulty but nothing extreme, and not very long as well.

Edited by Beware_Of_Bob
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beware_Of_Bob said:

That requires local co-op and a friend with the platinum. I doubt many people used this exploit.

 

17% is reasonable. The game is above average difficulty but nothing extreme, and not very long as well.

 

The platinum percentage on this site was much lower before this exploit was discovered. Once it was known, the percentage began to rise to what it is now, so it definitely had an effect.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I would agree it’s too high for its difficulty. Something in the 8-10% range would be more realistic imo. Also how is the trophy rarity for getting all coins lower than buying all upgrades 🤔. I know it’s the exploit but this proofs many have used it.
 

What I think happened is people downloaded a 100% save to a second account and used the exploit. I can’t imagine many people have a real life friend that has completed this game 😁.

 

 

Edited by Baker
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Beware_Of_Bob said:

That requires local co-op and a friend with the platinum. I doubt many people used this exploit.

 

It does not. You can share your account details with someone that has the plat and have the plat unlocked as a second account on that console. I'm sure some people are desperate and naive enough to do so. 

 

Edit: Or what @Baker said about the savefile with the second account. 

Edited by Arcesius
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Even without any exploit, there are a lot of factors that would result in the relative lack of rarity of the platinum.

 

The main 3 being:

 

1. The game is tough, but very learnable, and with fights lasting no more than 5 minutes, each one can be learned fully within an hour or so.

 

2. The game was late to come to Playstation - it was already known to be a difficult platinum prior to it's playstation release, so there is a certain level of 'Dark Souls effect' in play here - fewer people went in to the game without any understanding of the difficulty. Those who did load it up (particularly this sites users) knew what they were getting into, and those who didn't feel up to the challenge knew not to bother.

(don't underestimate the effect this has on a game - just look at Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. I'd argue that game is massively more difficult, much longer and significantly more involved, and less learnable than Cuphead, and it's platinum is at 27%)

 

3. A lot off people with multiple consoles had likely played the game a lot on Xbox prior to the playstation release, and knew the game inside out before even starting it on Playstation.

 

 

Add in an exploit on top of all those factors, and to be honest, I'm surprised it is as low as it is.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Souls games are harder than your average game but those games aren’t very rare either.  When they’re enjoyable, people keep pushing, coming back until they get over that obstacle. IMO, Cuphead falls into that same category. Besides, the game is pretty short, you could binge the platinum over a weekend.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A game being difficult has several factors to it.

For example, say I die to Gwyn in Dark Souls 1, I can rush  back to the boss pretty quickly as the Black Knights are incapable of attacking me when I run, now, say I play Devil may Cry 4, Bloody Palace with Trish and  I die at stage 85, oh no, there’s no rushing to it, that’s several hours of grinding I’ll have to do again in order to get back at the position  I was before, and hope I win this time.

Add that the game has around 20,000 users, so not much, it was already released on other platforms, so a great deal of people knew what the game was about, and finally the platinum exploit which basically gives you the plat for free.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I say that the only hard games are rogue like ones and the ones where you need to be extra careful for no death run that can take from 1 to 3 hours or so... Everything else is "learnable". 

Imagine if Cuphead had a trophy for killing all bosses without dying or something or rather that those 6 platforming levels are randomized to the extreme... 

Edited by Ptirle
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ptirle said:

I say that the only hard games are rogue like ones and the ones where you need to be extra careful for no death run that can take from 1 to 3 hours or so... Everything else is "learnable". 

Imagine if Cuphead had a trophy for killing all bosses without dying or something or rather that those 6 platforming levels are randomized to the extreme... 

 

So....

 

....your definition of game difficulty is that a game is easy, as long as a more difficult version of it exists in your imagination?

 

David-Rose.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Cuphead is difficult, but it's not that difficult. Everything is doable if you practice it enough. I found it to be a very fair game, with surprisingly little or no RNG. Sometimes the projectiles seemed to be more dense in certain attempts than others, but it was never a big issue. 

 

It's unfortunate that there is an exploit, because this is certainly a Platinum anyone can get with enough practice. I absolutely loved my time with the game, even during the more frustrating sections. 

Edited by Maahniac
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

I found it to be a very fair game, with surprisingly little or no RNG. 


Did we play a different game? 😂 Every Boss fight in Cuphead is full of RNG. It’s never the same. Sometimes it’s even impossible to S or A+ rank a level due to RNG. That’s also the reason I hated this game: RNG bullshit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Baker said:


Did we play a different game? 1f602.png Every Boss fight in Cuphead is full of RNG. It’s never the same. Sometimes it’s even impossible to S or A+ rank a level due to RNG. That’s also the reason I hated this game: RNG bullshit.

Really? 😮 Every time I died, I felt it was my own fault. Well, maybe with a few exceptions 😂 I honestly don't think it has a lot of RNG bullshit. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

Really? 1f62e.png Every time I died, I felt it was my own fault. Well, maybe with a few exceptions 1f602.png I honestly don't think it has a lot of RNG bullshit. 

Curious. Every time I died (not literally. not literally EVERY time I mean) I felt that jumping sucks in Cuphead. Its ark, its animation delay, its hurtbox. While what I was doing was completely on point.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maahniac said:

Really? 1f62e.png Every time I died, I felt it was my own fault. Well, maybe with a few exceptions 1f602.png I honestly don't think it has a lot of RNG bullshit. 

The petrification beam of the mermaid is 100% RNG bullshit. 
 

But most boss attacks follow a clear pattern and can be learned. On top of that your weapon/perk choices heavily affect the difficulty of certain bosses, even trivializing some. That’s simply based on experience and knowledge of the game. Sometimes RNG hits hard, when a few difficult to avoid patterns occur at the same time, but bosses only take a couple of minutes and you can retry as often as necessary. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

So....

 

....your definition of game difficulty is that a game is easy, as long as a more difficult version of it exists in your imagination?

 

David-Rose.jpg

 

Difficulty is subjective yes, but for the most part, I think that uncertainty you get from randomized rogue games and no death runs that take long time, is what people are struggling with the most. Because of THAT the games are truly hard. To me at least.

 

Dark Souls or any other souls like game is hard first time around but it gets easier the more you play it, same thing with Cuphead and other hard platformers. You know how to play the game, the rest is up to your skill and how well you play that game duh.

 

So almost all hard games are doable if you have will and dedication, you will beat them eventually, but you have small percentage of people that platinum SMB or Crash 4 or whatever other hard games within hours or days in contrast to someone who platinumed them in a couple of weeks or months or years.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ptirle said:

 

Difficulty is subjective yes, but for the most part, I think that uncertainty you get from randomized rogue games and no death runs that take long time, is what people are struggling with the most. Because of THAT the games are truly hard. To me at least.

 

Dark Souls or any other souls like game is hard first time around but it gets easier the more you play it, same thing with Cuphead and other hard platformers. You know how to play the game, the rest is up to your skill and how well you play that game duh.

 

So almost all hard games are doable if you have will and dedication, you will beat them eventually, but you have small percentage of people that platinum SMB or Crash 4 or whatever other hard games within hours or days in contrast to someone who platinumed them in a couple of weeks or months or years.

 

 

I don't think anyone is making the argument that doing something over and over, and practicing at it will not make it easier to do - that's true of everything, gaming and otherwise - but I think you're missing the point.

 

Saying "Well, if you learn how to do it, then it's easy" doesn't mean the thing is easy - the difficulty is about how much practice it takes to make it feel easy.

 

 

 

I'd be willing to bet open heart surgery feels 'easy' to an experienced and well trained surgeon - but I'm not going to tell a surgeon that his job is easy, just because the human body is "learnable".

 

The fact that he/she put in the amount of effort they had to to make it feel easy to them is what makes it impressive.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

Saying "Well, if you learn how to do it, then it's easy" doesn't mean the thing is easy - the difficulty is about how much practice it takes to make it feel easy.

 

You need to read what I wrote in my last sentence. I hate to repeat myself. You stated what I already said.

 

Edited by Ptirle
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

I don't think anyone is making the argument that doing something over and over, and practicing at it will not make it easier to do - that's true of everything, gaming and otherwise - but I think you're missing the point.

 

Saying "Well, if you learn how to do it, then it's easy" doesn't mean the thing is easy - the difficulty is about how much practice it takes to make it feel easy.

 

 

 

I'd be willing to bet open heart surgery feels 'easy' to an experienced and well trained surgeon - but I'm not going to tell a surgeon that his job is easy, just because the human body is "learnable".

 

The fact that he/she put in the amount of effort they had to to make it feel easy to them is what makes it impressive.

 

This is the same mistake people have been making for years. It shows in so many "platinum difficulty rating" threads. I doubt many of these people have their judgment clouded with "I completed it, therefore it is easy" though. I'm sure many of them are aware it wasn't easy. They merely don't want you to know that.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ptirle said:

 

You need to read what I wrote in my last sentence. I hate to repeat myself. You stated what I already said.

 

 

I did read it - I just don't think you did, as it contradicts what you said in your previous posts - that a game being 'learnable' negates its difficulty.

 

I agree with your last statement - that the length of the learning curve is what defines the difficulty - but that isn't what you were saying prior to that, so that's what my post was addressing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

I did read it - I just don't think you did, as it contradicts what you said in your previous posts - that a game being 'learnable' negates its difficulty.

 

I agree with your last statement - that the length of the learning curve is what defines the difficulty - but that isn't what you were saying prior to that, so that's what my post was addressing.

For ME, yes! Rouge like games (RNG sh*t) and no death runs are truly hard. Everything else is learnable. Again, for ME, dont know about you or anyone else.

Edited by Ptirle
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Ptirle said:

For ME, yes! Rouge like games (RNG sh*t) and no death runs are truly hard. Everything else is learnable. Again, for ME.

 

No, not just for you.

It's learnable for everyone - but the difficulty is based on how quickly / easily learnable it is.

 

You aren't unique - that's what I'm saying. It's the same principle for everyone - sure, some have more natural flair for learning different types of games, (based on past experience or pure, raw reflexes etc.), but that doesn't change the fact that all difficult games can be learned -  and that doesn't make them less difficult objectively, just subjectively.

 

Even games with 'RNG shit' - rogue-likes and such -  are still learnable - you are just learning the mechanics, and not the level.

In essence, is the same.

The only difference is, in a game without randomised factors, you can learn the layout and the game, whereas in a rogue-like, you have to learn the mechanics to the extent that you are able to deal with the additional layer of randomisation... 

...but on a basic level, putting in the time with a game is going to result in it feeling easier.

 

All I'm saying is, it feeling easier after putting in that time, doesn't mean it actually is easier - to think that is to minimise your own skill. 

The game remains difficult - you just rose to the challenge☺️👍

Edited by DrBloodmoney
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

All I'm saying is, it feeling easier after putting in that time, doesn't mean it actually is easier - to think that is to minimise your own skill. 

The game remains difficult - you just rose to the challenge☺️👍

 

Go finish Super Meat Boy and then come back and tell me this same line.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

 

Go finish Super Meat Boy and then come back and tell me this same line.

 

I don't understand what you're saying - are you saying SMB actually is easier than people say?

 

Because if not, I think you misinterpreted what I am saying - I'm saying games like that take a lot of skill and practice to learn, and that doing so doesn't make the game easy, it just means you rose to a tough challenge and faced it down.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.