Legend of Zelda tier list(s)

NonsenseOblige

AYtaQdZ.png

Was surprised to see no F-tier, but then I realized that there is no F-tier Zelda game. Everyone who says otherwise is either a degenerate, or consider the CD-i games as Zelda games... which means they're still a degenerate, lol. The list is missing Tri Force Heroes, though that would probably be a C-tier for me. 

• Like 1

Twilight Princess
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Oracle of Seasons/Ages
Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Minish Cap
A Link Between Worlds
Phantom Hourglass
Fourswords Adventures
Breath of the Wild
Legend of Zelda
Skyward Ward Sword
Spirit Tracks
Link's Crossbow Training
Triforce Heroes
Adventure of Link

Would like to see some of these ones on the Switch 
Like Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Oracle games, and Minish Cap

• 1 month later...

Of the ones I played:

S:Majora, Twilight, Classic

A:Ocarina

B:Adventure, Minish, To the Past

C:Awakening GB, Hyrule Warriors/Calamity (not classic style but still Zelda series)

Z:Wind - the only zelda game i played that i really did not like

We just got in Skyward from Gamefly on Switch so I might update after I play that.

Edited by Void

On 6/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Was surprised to see no F-tier, but then I realized that there is no F-tier Zelda game. Everyone who says otherwise is either a degenerate, or consider the CD-i games as Zelda games... which means they're still a degenerate, lol.

Hi, degenerate here!

I played and own all three of the CD-i Zelda games and honestly enjoyed them for what they are.

And in my opinion 99% of people who claim the games are crap haven't played them or are heavily biased by the bandwagon.

At the time the CD-i games were created and released only 3 Zelda games existed:

- The Legend of Zelda (top-down view)

- The Adventure of Link (2D sidescroller)

- A Link to the Past (top-down view, 3/4 perspective)

Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon (2D sidescroller)

Yes, controls of the twin games are weirdly mapped, but with only a D-pad and 2 buttons what were the devs supposed to do? They work once you know the combinations and the triggers. If 5 year old me could figure it out, surely you can too?

Why do they look alike? Because the budget for each game was so tiny that the devs decided to pool them together and make one engine (yes make) and churn out two acceptable games with it rather than two unfinished/costly ones.

Music is WAV instead of chiptune, a big step forward for a system from the early '90s. Some of it is even stereo.

With 3 areas open from the start, there's plenty of variation in routes, but the player will need to visit all three to gain additional items (snowballs, fileballs) to progress further into other areas. Sure, there are no "real" dungeons, but story progression works the same way: you need a certain item in area A that you can find over in area B. With full voice acting and some okay animated cutscenes it offers more than the previous installments.

You get 3 tries to complete an area, after which you're booted to the overworld. You keep your progress (items/keys used, gained, boulders destroyed, even bosses slain), but you'll have to find the "exit" for it to count as completed.

Each completed area unlocks a new one until that "path" is fully unlocked. There's three paths that will require items and progression in the other two to complete. Each path is between 4 and 6 areas long.

Zelda's Adventure (top-down view, 3/4 perspective)

By far the most gorgeously made game on the old systems. Just look at the world map! All the set pieces and enemies were handcrafted. The few actors they had were all staff members. A lot of the map is created by using holiday photos of staff and the handcrafted set pieces.

Originally there were many more frames to each character and enemy animation. Hardware limitations caused this to be cut down drastically. Same goes for the music, or lack thereof.

There are several completed tracks that were ready to use when the sound director was told the sound had to be short and loopable.

A few unused content was found and rumors are that the game was unfinished because of time constraints (remember, it was released a short time before the console was abandoned) and severe budget issues.

This game has the same "feel" as the then-latest Zelda game: top-down view with perspective. There's one open dungeon that must be conquered before the next one opens up. No variation in order or any such splitting pathways. The world map opens up bit by bit as Zelda gains more items that allow her to travel further.

There's move-the-block puzzles, kill-all-enemies rooms, a map that shows the layout of each dungeon, and even a compass that allows fast travel to that dungeon.

The magic here is powered by money (because there's some very OP magic in this game). Enemies have strengths and weaknesses: the purple demon heads with the spiky ears are extremely vulnerable to the Noise spell (4-5 hits?) versus straight smacking 'em (over 50 hits).

Talking to NPCs (each and everyone has a voice) will give some lore, quest, or item/weapon that'll help you. Some are even required to progress.

Furthermore there are 7 shrines (dungeons) that work just like the other games. After all dungeons are completed you get to fight Ganon.

I'm not saying they're awesome and should be canon/recognized by Nintendo... I'm saying they're not as bad as "they" claim the games are.

And yes, I did play (and complete) the three Zelda games that were out in 1993, but not until somewhere in 2014. The Adventure of Link was the toughest.

I also enjoyed Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword (in that order).

It's hard to rank them, but Twilight Princess wins it in terms of experience and Skyward Sword in terms of lore/world building. Wind Waker pleased my inner kid with the toon graphics.

• Like 2

SSS  Zelda: BOTW

SS    Zelda: A Link to the past

Almost everything else I played, but didn't find that amusing like those two above and yes, maybe if I had played them when they came out it would be different, but meh.

Edited by Ptirle