New player looking for tips!

Hvalpen

I bought Demons souls today, having never played a soulsborne game, and lord do i suck xD

I did manage to beat Phalanx on first attempt(yay!) but i had died 4 times or so to get there, and completely ignoring that one big guy with a shield that blocks your way on top of the wall, the one time i approached him i got instagibbed.

Im really looking for some tips here. Im currently just 2 handing the weapon since i read that one might as well not block, and only roll.

Combat tips? Item build? What stats to max?

Help!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

I bought Demons souls today, having never played a soulsborne game, and lord do i suck xD

I did manage to beat Phalanx on first attempt(yay!) but i had died 4 times or so to get there, and completely ignoring that one big guy with a shield that blocks your way on top of the wall, the one time i approached him i got instagibbed.

Im really looking for some tips here. Im currently just 2 handing the weapon since i read that one might as well not block, and only roll.

Combat tips? Item build? What stats to max?

Help!

what one of demon souls you got? ps3 or 5?

I echo the Soul Arrow recommendations while also suggesting you keep a close eye on which starting bonus item you select. Some of them are way better than others, it just depends how you want to go about playing. Also, don't be discouraged by dying - it'll happen a LOT, especially when it comes to the bosses. Just stick with it and try new strategies. Farming is also your friend, can be a big difference maker in a lot of fights if you elect to farm for hours and get your stats up higher. Good luck! This was my first full Souls experience and I loved every second of working to get the Platinum.

30 minutes ago, Creasy007 said:

I echo the Soul Arrow recommendations while also suggesting you keep a close eye on which starting bonus item you select. Some of them are way better than others, it just depends how you want to go about playing. Also, don't be discouraged by dying - it'll happen a LOT, especially when it comes to the bosses. Just stick with it and try new strategies. Farming is also your friend, can be a big difference maker in a lot of fights if you elect to farm for hours and get your stats up higher. Good luck! This was my first full Souls experience and I loved every second of working to get the Platinum.

I simply followed the trophy guide. So i picked the ring that makes item finding happen more often. Provi something ring. Playing as royal class, cuz trophy guide

14 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Yeah, Royal is the best class.

Prioritise  Health above all, until you reach the cap,  make sure to also focus on Stamina, then, just have enough strength/dexterity/int/faith for whatever weapon you prefer.

Straight Swords, Thrusting Swords, Curved Swords and Large Sword are very powerful here. 

Do you have some tips for how to approach combat?

18 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

As a mage, spam magic. For melee, find a weapon that suits your style (I prefer curved swords & pole arms).

The major focus should be how you build your character. Health (Vitality) isn't as important as people make it seem.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Helyx said:

As a mage, spam magic. For melee, find a weapon that suits your style (I prefer curved swords & pole arms).

The major focus should be how you build your character. Health (Vitality) isn't as important as people make it seem.

So what is important, in your view?

31 minutes ago, Helyx said:

@Helyx has been by far one of the most helpful people in my Soul's journeys, from years back on PS3.

My build on Demon's Souls was a dex / sorcerer build. My points therefore mostly went into Int and Dex. Built up my Stamina a fair bit, along with health.
Check the Wiki's and you get Soft and Hard caps. This means that when you hit a Soft Cap, you wont level up that certain aspect as much as previously.

I've always loved the Falchion / Schimter and Uchikatana (too drunk to spell correctly). So I levelled those up, but it's the magic side that made Demon's Souls pretty easy.

There's multiple walkthroughs on youtube too. Demon's Souls Remake - Walkthrough Part 1: Gates of Boletaria - YouTube is who I watched whilst going through (I platinumed the original, so wasn't arsed about spoilers).
He gives decent tips and routes... BUT read the comments beforehand, as I screwed up a few times by getting ahead of him.

Edited by OpenScars
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

So what is important, in your view?

You really need to either experiment on your own, or follow one of the builds from the wiki I linked.

For me personally, its getting my damage stats to 40 (STR, DEX, MAG & FAI all increase your damage resistance) and if I plan to melee, get Endurance to 30-40. Also, unless you plan to use the Blueblood Sword, never increase your Luck stat. In fact, item discovery equipment in general works against you.

My favorite part of Demon's Souls was playing blindly & learning the game. The learning curve is steep at first, but once you understand some of the more obtuse game mechanics, its actually really easy & fun.

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hvalpen said:

Not much to add, Sorcery is the best it has ever been in the Souls “series”, there are also some weapons upgrade part that scale with Intelligence to complement, magic damage is kinda like Lightning in Dark Souls, resisted by very few enemies,  earlier you said that the guide said you should not block, I don’t agree with that statement, while rolling is preferred, it requires a certain degree of knowledge of enemies patterns, so if you’re new,  don’t worry too much about  not blocking.

Regarding health, you can absolutely clear the game without boosting it, but think of it this way, health is a “quantity” of error you’re allowed to make  until you are dead, the more you have, the more room for error you can make,  the cap should be at 40

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Regarding health, the cap should be at 40

Vitality soft-caps at 50, but still increases HP until reaching 99.

18 hours ago, Helyx said:

Vitality soft-caps at 50, but still increases HP until reaching 99.

Just checked, there are actually 2 caps, the first is at level 40, the second 50, 

https://demonssouls.wiki.fextralife.com/HP

40 should be enough, early game enemies don’t have the highest of defenses, but pushing it too far, especially when you only get 9 HP will leave one with  a weak offense.

20 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Not much to add, Sorcery is the best it has ever been in the Souls “series”, there are also some weapons upgrade part that scale with Intelligence to complement, magic damage is kinda like Lightning in Dark Souls, resisted by very few enemies,  earlier you said that the guide said you should not block, I don’t agree with that statement, while rolling is preferred, it requires a certain degree of knowledge of enemies patterns, so if you’re new,  don’t worry too much about  not blocking.

Regarding health, you can absolutely clear the game without boosting it, but think of it this way, health is a “quantity” of error you’re allowed to make  until you are dead, the more you have, the more room for error you can make,  the cap should be at 40

My first souls as well, and using the falchion? that scales off magic and I feel pretty OP at times..when I can get close enough and survive enough to get the hits in ??

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

question... as a souls virgin myself

I seem to have accidentally consumed my hard demon soul from killing the spider boss

so now I can't craft the lava bow

will my current run become significantly harder? (it's kicking my ass as it is lol)

also.. apart from making a new character or just starting a NG+ run... if I were to join a player while they were at the spider boss fight.. could I get back the hard demon soul that way too?

19 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

I seem to have accidentally consumed my hard demon soul from killing the spider boss

You can snag the soul in NG+, and won't impact your playthrough. Joining someone else's world and helping them kill the Armor Spider won't give you his soul, only basic souls and revive you back to Body Form.

16 minutes ago, Helyx said:

You can snag the soul in NG+, and won't impact your playthrough.

I'm sorry I don't quite understand this.. won't I have to finish my current play through to get to NG+?

also, could someone drop a lava bow for me if they had one?

49 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

I'm sorry I don't quite understand this.. won't I have to finish my current play through to get to NG+?

also, could someone drop a lava bow for me if they had one?

Yes. You can't enter NG+ until you've completed your first playthrough.

Someone could drop a weapon for you, but I don't see the purpose in specifically needing the Lava Bow. Even with a quality build, it's fairly underwhelming.