Capcom plagarised over 200 pieces of artwork?

You

2 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

thats something i totally forgot existed lol

You might as well forget it again. When Flash died, they absolutely massacred the look of the site. It actually looks like it's for 5 year olds now despite most of their fanbase being adults and you can't interact with hardly anything.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

You might as well forget it again. When Flash died, they absolutely massacred the look of the site. It actually looks like it's for 5 year olds now despite most of their fanbase being adults and you can't interact with hardly anything.

is club penguin still a thing too?

i remember Joe Cartoon and Newgrounds, plus stickdeath site. pretty sure they were all flash as well lol... the gerbil dives were amazing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infected Elite said:

is club penguin still a thing too?

i remember Joe Cartoon and Newgrounds, plus stickdeath site. pretty sure they were all flash as well lol... the gerbil dives were amazing 

I think I remember stickdeath, but I am not familiar with the rest of those.

It’s obvious they used her book images because there’s so many samples taken from it and it’s likely they’ll settle it and she’ll get a nice payout. But could Capcom just say you don’t own that brick wall or that pane of glass in the church. We researched it too.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Edit:

I looked up the book, and in the book description it says,

"Surfaces offers over 1,200 outstanding, vibrantly colorful visual images of surface textures--wood, stone, marble, brick, plaster, stucco, aggregates, metal, tile, and glass--ready to be used in your designs, presentations, or comps, as backgrounds or for general visual information."

It gives pretty express permission for people to use everything in the book however they like. I somehow doubt this lawsuit will hold up in court because of this. It seems more like someone trying to make a quick buck off of Capcom.

Nice find. i think this would rest the case if any, in favor of capcom. it seems like a public domain book 

I'm not really into the lawsuit issues, and I'm speaking from complete ignorance from this standpoint for such copyright issues. But, as a content creator and seeing this type of infringement, wouldn't be another way of taking advantage of this to approach the company and making it more subtle and then offering them the possibility to use your material for further content? 

Maybe I'm hugely misleading as I don't get much into, but as what happened between Epic Games and Apple/Google in recent months, and how the gaming company used the material of several performers (which obviously reached them, instead of filing a lawsuit) which helped them to rocket their earnings, wouldn't be this a potential solution too? I wasn't aware of Capcom leak too. I was of Nintendo in the recent years, but I never imagined that the creators of Street Fighter would be this dubious and untruthful. 

1 hour ago, ExHaseo said:

Edit:

"Surfaces offers over 1,200 outstanding, vibrantly colorful visual images of surface textures--wood, stone, marble, brick, plaster, stucco, aggregates, metal, tile, and glass--ready to be used in your designs, presentations, or comps, as backgrounds or for general visual information."

Hmm...interesting. Maybe in the actual book it specifies that the images are for non-commercial use only? Though one would think that’d be in the description if that were the case...

Anyway, saw the title of the thread and was quite sad, b/c I tend to think that Capcom are one of the better video game developers /publishers. But it seems this case might be in a bit of a grey area so far. 

Either way, I have a feeling this will be settled out of court for a undisclosed sum. 

Also a bit odd that it took her this long to figure out her work was being used. Maybe she’s just not familiar with video games at all. 

4 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Edit:

It gives pretty express permission for people to use everything in the book however they like. I somehow doubt this lawsuit will hold up in court because of this. It seems more like someone trying to make a quick buck off of Capcom.

Someone that looks into shit for the full details how rare that is these days.

Edited by BrandedBerserk

Yup that's extremely cut and dry, Capcom won't even go to court, they know they lost, it'll be settled

But why didn't they just license it? It couldn't have been more than what they're going to pay

Taking inspiration is one thing, taking the full photograph with no alteration practically, that's just lazy

I was hoping my favorite copyright attorney, Leonard French, would cover this case and he did. He actually reads through the complaint and explains it for those of you that are curious about the actual facts in the case, rather than some article authors interpretation.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2021 at 10:53 AM, DaivRules said:

I was hoping my favorite copyright attorney, Leonard French, would cover this case and he did. He actually reads through the complaint and explains it for those of you that are curious about the actual facts in the case, rather than some article authors interpretation.

That was an interesting watch. Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know that in her lawsuit she wants each and every copy of all games and products that contain her photographs destroyed. Uh oh everyone, hide your Resident Evil games!! :P

• Like 1