The Medium

Abby_TheLastofUs

ESRB rates The Medium for PS5

701.png?t=1618597309

Discover a dark mystery only a medium can solve. Explore the real world and the spirit world at the same time. Use your psychic abilities to solve puzzles spanning both worlds, uncover deeply disturbing secrets, and survive encounters with The Maw - a monster born from an unspeakable tragedy..

Medium_Gif_1.gif?t=1618597309

The Medium is a third-person psychological horror game that features patented dual-reality gameplay and an original soundtrack co-composed by Arkadiusz Reikowski and Akira Yamaoka.

702.png?t=1618597309

Wield unique psychic abilities reserved for those with the gift. Travel between the realities or explore them both at the very same time. Use the Out of Body experience to investigate places where your real-world self can’t go. Create energy shields and deliver powerful spirit blasts to survive the spirit world and its otherworldly dangers.

1_BECOME_A_MEDIUM.gif?t=1618597309

703.png?t=1618597309

Delve deep into a mature and morally ambiguous story, where nothing is what it seems and everything has another side. As a medium you see, hear and experience more than others, and with every new perspective you will change your perception on what happened at the Niwa resort.

2_SEE_WHAT%E2%80%99S_HIDDEN.gif?t=1618597309

704.png?t=1618597309

Never-seen-before and officially patented gameplay that plays out across two worlds displayed at the same time. Explore the physical world and the spirit world simultaneously, and use the interactions between them to solve dual-reality puzzles, unlock new paths, and awaken memories of past events.

3_PLAY_IN_TWO_WORLDS_AT_THE_SAME_TIME.gif?t=1618597309

705.png?t=1618597309

The Medium’s spirit world is a dark mirror reflection of our reality, a grim and unsettling place where our unpunished deeds, evil urges, and vile secrets manifest themselves and can take on a form. This world has been invented and designed under the inspiration of Zdzisław Beksiński’s paintings, Polish dystopian surrealist internationally recognized for his distinctive and strikingly ominous style.

4_ENTER_A_DARK_REALITY_INSPIRED_BY_BEKSI%C5%83SKI.gif?t=1618597309
Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 2

Surprised. Was under the assumption this was a game firmly under Microsoft... I remember hearing good things about it around the time it came out but I now only hear bad things... odd.

I hear it has no combat as a mark against it... but that doesn't really bother me. Silent Hill Shattered Memories was great and it had no combat either. 

• Like 1

So The Medium was a timed exclusive, huh. Not surprised, tbh.

A friend of mine has played this game on PC. He said that the idea and the story were interesting, Akira Yamaoka's music was great, but the gameplay was underwhelming. You mainly spend time exploring the world. There are a couple of stealth sections and intense set pieces, but that's it. The game is apparently pretty short as well. 

• Like 1

I hear this was a disappointment, but I'm still interested in getting it eventually. It is nice to see this coming to PS5.

The Xbox One barely had any exclusives I was interested over the PS4, compared to the 360 vs PS3 anyway. And X1 has already lost a lot of its exclusives to Switch and some on PS4 now as well (Ori, Cuphead, Lucky's Tale). Haven't ever cared much for the big exclusives like Halo and Gears. I have to wonder just how many exclusives the Series X is going to have. Aside from Rare Replay and a few backwards compatible exclusives, my Xbox One has felt like one of the most pointless and least played consoles I've ever owned. I hope it won't feel quite the same for the Series X, would still like to get one eventually.

On 6/5/2021 at 6:05 AM, Stan Lee said:

Bring the Xbox Series console exclusives down to 0 once again. Interesting.

Is it really though?

It's on GamePass for next to nothing but you'll probably have to pay $60 MSRP for it on PS5.

We never saw Demons Souls break into the NPD charts. We saw Miles Morales but those sales were probably heavily moved by the PS4 version. Returnal did make it in the lower end but that wasn't a system seller, it was predominantly people that already had PS5's.

Both companies are still constantly out of stock. Vast majority don't really cares about exclusives.

The game is produced by Polish studio, the plot takes place in Poland... but the producers decided not to use Polish dubbing (as an option) for the characters.
I swear that if it weren't for the lack of Polish dubbing, I would buy it this fall, when I plan to buy a PS5. Even if it's not a 10/10 game, it would have a nice vibe for me.

I saw a short gamplay and it looks funny to me when characters with Polish names (Jacek) are talking in English. Additionally, Polish actors were hired as faces for the characters!

This opinion appears in the comments on Polish portals. However, as you can see, we are not worth Polish dubbing for our native producer. Sad but true. Anyway, enjoy the game.

• 3 months later...