Umbral Bees in chests

Has anyone found a reliable way of getting the bees in the umbral chests? All I have left for the platinum is to get the remaining bees and buy all the magic, and it's pretty frustrating having no clue how to get the 1 or 2 bees I have remaining on most of the shadow stages. So far what I think I've discovered:

1. The game seems to do a check against whether you're wearing armor or not when you open a chest. If you're wearing the "right" thing (armor for chests that want armor, boxers for chests that don't), then you'll get the Umbral Bee (or a money bee if the game feels like doing that instead). If you're wearing the wrong thing, you get one of those points statues (and can safely reload the last checkpoint and go for the other suit to check for a bee).

2. The chests that have an Umbral Bee seem completely random. I found bees in chests that weren't found in videos online, and didn't find bees in a bunch of chests in videos found online. Not sure if the game randomly distributes them at the start of the save file or a new game or something, but it's kind of annoying.

Some people seem to think there's some bees that will enable by beating a bunch of the level without dying and opening a pile of chests, but I haven't been able to confirm that (and frankly it would be a giant PITA if so). Can anyone confirm this?

Just looking to clean up this list, and this game has the most frustrating set of collectibles I've ever seen in a game.

• Like 1

Down to 2 bees left, unfortunately they're in the worst levels (3 and 5...). I've run both these levels full boxers and full armor and gotten all chests and nothing. What gives? Is there RNG with whether we actually get all the bees or something? I've never played a game with such frustrating collectibles as this one. Sours an otherwise great and rewarding experience.

On another note, the Armory Armor seems to have the same code in the background as the boxers. It "lines up" with the chests that need boxers to get something other than a stupid fucking statue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 10:06 AM, Solarus755 said:

Finally got the last 2 bees. They were both in chests I had opened a thousand times before... Just stick with it!

I am quoting you cause you got the plat, if anyone else has an idea will be nice, how did you get the 3rd chest bee from shadow zone 3??? I have done everything, whole stage with boxers or golden armor, I did it with just lower or upper or just chest armor opening every chest,absolutely nothing!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, totakos1 said:

I am quoting you cause you got the plat, if anyone else has an idea will be nice, how did you get the 3rd chest bee from shadow zone 3??? I have done everything, whole stage with boxers or golden armor, I did it with just lower or upper or just chest armor opening every chest,absolutely nothing!!

I was raging at this one too and had the same experience. It was the last bee I got. It ended up being in the secret chest right at the end after the stupid auto scrollers randomly... I had opened it multiple times on previous runs both in armor and boxers, and nothing, then poof the bee appeared...

I would recommend restarting the level and getting every single chest, making sure to take note of the ones you get in armor that drop point statues, then reset checkpoint and open in boxers, and vice versa. You might open all 12 chests and get nothing... Which sucks, but then just restart and do it again. It will eventually drop, promise.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I was ready to break my controller finally the bee showed up and I died before getting it…..omg… but thankfully ( for my controller and probably my TV )it showed up in the same chest again, just for the people trying to find that particular one in the very beginning of the stage you need to be in boxers tried it again on another save data and it was there!

• Like 1

I thought I was hit by a glitch! I followed a video on youtube precisely by the point on the execution grounds stage and I'm left with 15/16, I got the one from the hellhole too. So now I have no idea which one I'm missing from the video because all the bee's are money bee's!

Also, a bit off topic but is there a way to keep track of how many orbs you've collected?

On 6/19/2021 at 11:32 PM, Xugoshi said:

I thought I was hit by a glitch! I followed a video on youtube precisely by the point on the execution grounds stage and I'm left with 15/16, I got the one from the hellhole too. So now I have no idea which one I'm missing from the video because all the bee's are money bee's!

Also, a bit off topic but is there a way to keep track of how many orbs you've collected?

You can see the orbs in the end of shadow play through but that’s kinda late, every stage will have an orb for clearing that stage as you know! there are 2 orbs from hell holes shadow zone 5 and I think the other one was normal zones, shadow zone 3 demon orb it’s in a black chest on top of the giant worm, bees on chest spawn only when you meet certain criteria some of them will just spawn on normal armor but others will spawn to

1: golden armor

2: boxers

3: opening 5 chests or more in a row without dying 1 and 2 not needed for this one 

Edited by totakos1
  • Like 1

Guys! I found out the secret to the missing umbral bees! All you have to do is make sure you don't die until you get to the 4th chest and onwards for however many umbral bee's you're missing. I tried this and can confirm that it works, it also seems like you'll receive the golden armor on the third chest as long as you didn't die beforehand. Here's a video showcasing this: 

And in case you don't know where the treasure chests are, here's a guy that explains it and display's it in great detail:

All credit goes to the content creators.

Hope this helps guys! :D

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

@Xugoshi I am almost done with NG+ but as expected the missing umbral bees giving me headaches -.- I need 1 more umbral bee in each level one and two. Is there a video that shows where the normal chests are? I haven't found something so probably not. So you can confirm that you have to survive until the fourth chests? And this is similar in all levels?  These collectibles are a nightmare, really ^^

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, DavySuicide said:

@Xugoshi I am almost done with NG+ but as expected the missing umbral bees giving me headaches -.- I need 1 more umbral bee in each level one and two. Is there a video that shows where the normal chests are? I haven't found something so probably not. So you can confirm that you have to survive until the fourth chests? And this is similar in all levels?  These collectibles are a nightmare, really ^^

You'll have to excuse me due to it being a while since I platted the game but basically yes! The videos should prove useful in keeping track of everything! Wow, looking at it now, I'm surprised there's no guide for the game yet! ?

On 21.12.2021 at 2:19 AM, Xugoshi said:

You'll have to excuse me due to it being a while since I platted the game but basically yes! The videos should prove useful in keeping track of everything! Wow, looking at it now, I'm surprised there's no guide for the game yet! 1f605.png

okay man I finally got platinum a few days ago and crap what a shitshow -.- this game was a blast, like man really a wonderful journey into the past with some amazing graphics but this platinum wasn't fun at all. These bee's came straight outta hell to troll you in the worst possible way.

I can definitely confirm your theory with the 4th chest and not dying, but for example on executional grounds I wasn't able to get the very last bee. I probably replayed the map around 20 times, in the end I got the bee from a mid level chest with a half broken armor. Totally nuts. 

So to add some own thinking about the bees based from the experiences of my own playthrough, I think two bees will spawn in underwear, one by reaching the 4th chests without dying and in golden armor ( don't forget this can be cheesed with Cast-Armor, this armor makes you invincible and will be available after you've finished the game twice and reached the true ending!! ) and one bee kinda random or with broken armor. 

It's a really really weird game. ^^

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DavySuicide said:

okay man I finally got platinum a few days ago and crap what a shitshow -.- this game was a blast, like man really a wonderful journey into the past with some amazing graphics but this platinum wasn't fun at all. These bee's came straight outta hell to troll you in the worst possible way.

I can definitely confirm your theory with the 4th chest and not dying, but for example on executional grounds I wasn't able to get the very last bee. I probably replayed the map around 20 times, in the end I got the bee from a mid level chest with a half broken armor. Totally nuts. 

So to add some own thinking about the bees based from the experiences of my own playthrough, I think two bees will spawn in underwear, one by reaching the 4th chests without dying and in golden armor ( don't forget this can be cheesed with Cast-Armor, this armor makes you invincible and will be available after you've finished the game twice and reached the true ending!! ) and one bee kinda random or with broken armor. 

It's a really really weird game. ^^

Congrats my dude! :D Yeah it's a wonderful game and the most balanced Ghost n Goblins out there might I add. I'm sure there's a gimmick to the chests that nobody's really figured out yet but the one with the golden armor and underwear up to a certain point in a stage is the only one we have to go with for now. The last one might just be random, who knows? I imagine that might be the reason why nobody's done a guide for this game yet! :P 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Xugoshi said:

Congrats my dude! :D Yeah it's a wonderful game and the most balanced Ghost n Goblins out there might I add. I'm sure there's a gimmick to the chests that nobody's really figured out yet but the one with the golden armor and underwear up to a certain point in a stage is the only one we have to go with for now. The last one might just be random, who knows? I imagine that might be the reason why nobody's done a guide for this game yet! :P 

haha, yeah thanks a lot :-) a guide might really be helpful but pretty sure this won't happen unless someone really found the final missing piece in this riddle! It's really odd since I saw in your old post that you struggled with the exact same map when you played it. Would really be interesting to know if it was the same issue than in my session. 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1