Mod 21 update may make a lot of trophies unachievable (temporarily or not)

GastNDorf

Hello, You may or may not know but a couple days ago the new bard class has been revealed along with some news about mod 21 reworks, most precisely how some adventures will be pulled off the game/reworked, zones being "vaulted" (meaning unaccessible) and the level system be terminated. 

Source: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11489273-m21-overview-faq!

This puts a lot of trophies at risk, I'll try to make a little summary of it:

These are the trophies related to level:

- A Hero Emerges: Reach level 10 with one character

- Paragon Hero: Reach level 30 with one character

- Epic Hero: Reach level 60 with a hero

- Generational: Reach level 60 with two heroes

- Legendary Hero: Reach Level 70 with one character (update DLC trophy)

- Double Legend: Reach Level 70 on Two Characters (update DLC trophy)

These are related to "vaulted" zones: 

- Cornering Karzov: Complete the quest: Cornering Karzov - This is the last quest in Blacklake district

- Fists of the Warband: Complete the quest: Fists of the Warband - This is the last quest in the Tower district

- Faith in the Fallen: Take a leap of faith - This is a misc trophy only in the Tower district

- Plague Tower: Complete the quest: Plague Tower - This is the last quest in the Spellplague, not linked to a vaulted area, but the adventure is still retired

- Grimstorm Keep: Complete the quest: Grimstorm Keep - This is the last quest in the Blackdagger Ruins

- The Sanatorium: Complete the quest: The Sanatorium - This is the last quest in Helm's Hold

- Scoundrel's Retreat: Complete the quest: Scoundrel's Retreat - This is the last quest in the Pirates' Skyhold

- The Edge of the Underdark: Complete the quest: The Edge of the Underdark - This is the last quest in the Rothe Valley

- Temple of the Primordial: Complete the quest: Temple of the Primordial - This is the last quest in Mount Hotenow

The kill trophies should be fine since there should be all the types of enemies remaining in the other campaigns and dungeons. The scrying stones trophy is fine since the scrying stones in other campaigns' map count (and you need to find like 8 already for other update DLC trophies).

There are no info on the date this will happen, but it may not take place before a few months (most likely August/September) since mod 20 episode 3 has yet to be released. Although the changes are already in preview meaning that's already in the devs' build, meaning there's a chance it comes before mod 21 istelf. 

I'd advise you take care of these if you just started or have the game in your list and want to complete it at one point, because they may become unachievable for a long while, or even forever. Two clues to support this: their other game Star Trek Online went through the same type of overhaul and it broke 2 trophies they took almost a year to fix. The other is that on Xbox there are many more achievements than there are trophies, and there are two achievements tied to getting certain gear, but this gear has been put off the game by un update and they never bothered fixing these to this day, after a year and a half. So be warned.

The adventures are rather fast, a couple hours each at most, and level two characters to 70 isn’t so bad either, the key success to getting a lot of XP being to do as many quests as possible (killing mobs gives close to nothing). Start two characters at once, have them join a guild to access the Stronghold, and do the daily quests there on each character every day, these are the most xp rewarding quests in the game.

Edited by GastNDorf
  • Like 4

From the official neverwinter forum:

How will the PSN trophies and Xbox achievements work if you remove the areas some of those activate in?

I believe changing trophies/achievements is not easy so please look at those trophies and make sure they are still achievable in other ways or you might out off a lot of new people from starting the game.

Cryptic developer answer:

You are right that changing them is not easy! We worked with Microsoft and Sony well ahead of time and our intent is that no trophies or achievements become impossible from these changes. Some, like Legendary Hero for reaching 70, have been changed to reflect the new leveling. Others that refer to vaulted content have had their conditions changed, and some new npcs have been hidden in the leveling zones that will help complete those achievements.

Source:

Edited by CwirCwir
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, CwirCwir said:
From the official neverwinter forum:

How will the PSN trophies and Xbox achievements work if you remove the areas some of those activate in?

I believe changing trophies/achievements is not easy so please look at those trophies and make sure they are still achievable in other ways or you might out off a lot of new people from starting the game.

Cryptic developer answer:

You are right that changing them is not easy! We worked with Microsoft and Sony well ahead of time and our intent is that no trophies or achievements become impossible from these changes. Some, like Legendary Hero for reaching 70, have been changed to reflect the new leveling. Others that refer to vaulted content have had their conditions changed, and some new npcs have been hidden in the leveling zones that will help complete those achievements.

Source:

Hopefully they won't trick us I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a game that I always wanted to play...I'll put my trust in these developers that everything will still be obtainable after the vaulting. It sure does sound like they know what they are doing from that email response anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 10/07/2021 at 7:23 PM, Sydoki said:

As a game that I always wanted to play...I'll put my trust in these developers that everything will still be obtainable after the vaulting. It sure does sound like they know what they are doing from that email response anyway.

So I was under the impression that they may have forgotten to change the requirements for the vaulted content trophies but I just found an NPC who has the quest "Cornering Karzov" in Neverdeath and he tells you the story of the vaulted area, I guess this is what unlocks the trophy now, will have to check for others.

Found "Fists of the warband" in Vellosk.

"Temple of the primordial" is in Ebon Downs.

"Scoundrel's Retreat" and "The Edge of the Underdark" are in Whispering Caverns.

The "Plague tower" questline actually still exists, only it doesn't have its own adventure, and it has been moved to after finishing the Whispering Caverns.

Edited by GastNDorf

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2021 at 5:35 PM, chadhunt1984 said:

Does anyone know how to get the daily affirmation trophy? You learn invocation in a different quest called five keys to success and it doesn't unlock the trophy 

Maybe try to speak with the girl at the campfire outside in Protector's Enclave, this is where you used to get it.

• 1 month later...