Does Spawning A Tank Honestly Lock You Out Of 100% Completion?

I went through this same exact thing with GTA III. Tons of people and trophy guides saying that using spawn cheats would lock you out of 100%. I took the risk and platinumed the game no problem using the tank cheat only twice (Kingdom Come and The Exchange). I only intend on using the weapons, armor, health, and on great occasion the spawn tank cheat just like I did in GTA III. No other cheats than that.

Can anyone here with the platinum confirm if they got 100% after using a spawn cheat? I will once again risk it for the sake of clarification and I’ll report back here. I did the same thing on the GTA III forum. I completely understand it’s possible for bugs to prohibit 100% completion but I don’t see how at the very least a tank cheat code could stop you or bug the game to not credit your progression in the stats menu. Especially considering how closely related GTA III and Vice City are under the hood. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

It’s incredible how much misinformation about the platinum is out there. This is everything I found regarding GTA III and now I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same case for Vice City.

Edited by Kazduin

• 4 weeks later...

I'm tempted to use the Vehicle Handling cheat to help with the paramedic missions as I'm usually pretty bad at them.

Like you I did this in GTA3 and had no issues unlocking the 100% trophy and platinum but I wondered if using the same cheat in VC will lock you out of the 100% and possibly trophies.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pidi48 said:

I'm tempted to use the Vehicle Handling cheat to help with the paramedic missions as I'm usually pretty bad at them.

Like you I did this in GTA3 and had no issues unlocking the 100% trophy and platinum but I wondered if using the same cheat in VC will lock you out of the 100% and possibly trophies.

You can use any cheats you want and still get 100% in Vice City. Slow motion cheat was very useful in my playthrough.

The only negative of using cheats is negative points (that you don't need to worry about if you already got Take the Cannoli trophy). Also you won't get the post-game award of a t-shirt and access to bodyguards.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, OrdinaryLegoDude said:

So I can use speed up gameplay at the start to get take the cannoli then continue to 100% from the same save game?

Exactly. That's the best way because then you can use any cheats you want and also don't need to create another save and collect packages again to use the accuracy method for Take the Cannoli.

Also, you can use the slow-motion cheat multiple times and it makes the game slower after every use. I'd check if the speed-up cheat also works like that, as it could save you even more time if it does.

• Like 1

Got the plat months ago and I can confirm you 100% that using cheats such as cars going over water DO NOT lock you out of 100%. Based on this I'm confident in saying that you can spawn yourself a tank no problem and still achieving 100%. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2021 at 10:59 PM, Kazduin said:

Just an update for those curious. I used health, armor, weapons, and the spawn tank cheats and received the 100% trophy no problem. Cheats stopping 100% completion is a myth like it was in GTA III

I realize this is an insanely late reply, but I just want to saw thank you for clarifying this. It is insane how much conflicting information there is regarding this game's platinum, even 20+ years after the OG game's launch. Even the trophy guide on this site suggests that using a tank spawn can disable 100% completion.

Spent the last ~20 mins trying to find a straight answer after spawning the tank to do the Vigilante missions (already had gotten the Godfather rating first), and it took digging through 2 year old threads to find clarification. So thank you again!

Edited by JD-D2
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 11:43 PM, JD-D2 said:

I realize this is an insanely late reply, but I just want to saw thank you for clarifying this. It is insane how much conflicting information there is regarding this game's platinum, even 20+ years after the OG game's launch. Even the trophy guide on this site suggests that using a tank spawn can disable 100% completion.

Spent the last ~20 mins trying to find a straight answer after spawning the tank to do the Vigilante missions (already had gotten the Godfather rating first), and it took digging through 2 year old threads to find clarification. So thank you again!

Of course! I’m glad to help :)

• Like 1