PS4 Disc to PS5 Digital Upgrades

NMErickson

If you upgrade from a PS4 disc to the PS5 version I thought you needed the disc to play. I have two games that downloaded the PS5 digital version after inserting the PS4 disc and choosing the PS5 version. The one I don't understand is Subnautica. Why would it do that, maybe because it is a smaller file size? The other one, Maneater, made me download the PS Plus version I had in my library instead of giving me the PS4 disc to PS5 upgrade option. Wonder what happens when Plus ends. Hopefully the option to upgrade will still be there.

I got my PS5 just a couple weeks ago and finished upgrading or downloading all the games I plan on playing on there. I have a few other PS4 discs with PS5 upgrades and they all require the disc to play. Was just trying to see if this switch to digital format is normal. Perhaps it's a developer/publisher choice. If anyone has Subnautica and Manhunter did it do the same thing to you?

Edited by NMErickson
Changed title

• 4 weeks later...

Subnautica was one of the free "play at home" games they gave away back in March 2021, so I'm assuming you redeemed that and forgot.

As for Maneater maybe after the Plus expires you can pop in the disc and it will fetch a different digital ID license and then let you immediately boot up your pre-existing download. Alternatively if you get some type of issue, just boot up a secondary account and then redeem the free Maneater disc upgrade that way. You get infinite free upgrades per disc so you don't have to worry about that disc somehow getting tied to a different account or anything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Subnautica was one of the free "play at home" games they gave away back in March 2021, so I'm assuming you redeemed that and forgot.

As for Maneater maybe after the Plus expires you can pop in the disc and it will fetch a different digital ID license and then let you immediately boot up your pre-existing download. Alternatively if you get some type of issue, just boot up a secondary account and then redeem the free Maneater disc upgrade that way. You get infinite free upgrades per disc so you don't have to worry about that disc somehow getting tied to a different account or anything.

Thanks. That’s good tips for Maneater. I never redeemed the Play at Home digital version of Subnautica though so that’s a weird one.