Just got the game: Question time

DaveMcDamage

5 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Cheers again man. 

Looking forward to getting my new and first 4K TV this week, wonder if this game looks even more stunning. 

I did the first infiltration at the 2nd palace (nice to see its not a copy and paste type setting like in a lot of rpgs) but saved when leaving as this heat is wrecking me even when sat in the house. Look forward to playing again soon. 

No each palace is very different as they are based on different distortions of the heart.

The bosses are where the palaces get very creative.

Just got to the part where you meet the first Regent. It ran off though as I couldn't figure how to beat it in time. I have to reload but just had a look and it seems Morgano's punch can help but I don't know if I can control him. I can control the two guys and Ann but not the cat. I also had a rough time with a huge African looking knight which cannot take physical damage so that lost me a load of SP even though I defeated it. Will have another go later maybe. It says Nuclear is also good for Regent and the atom ring but I cannot equip the atom ring. 

On 6/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

You can equip items like the ring. It is an accessory.

Also the Regent (or treasure demon) will come again. There are tons of them

Yeah I figured it out yesterday. I was on the item list checking the ring and not the equip screen. I have my special moments lol. 

Looking forward to getting back on it tomorrow though. Just got home from work but off tomorrow so will get some serious game time in. I can safely say the game has me hooked and I've barely scratched the surface of content available so far. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I like that your updates are more positive than your FF7 updates :D

Yeah. But in my defense I had two major problems with FF7R. 

1: Hardmode isn't available from the start and because no cutscenes are different on the next playthrough, it made the second run just feel more like a horde mode. 

2: I loved the combat mechanics even if I wasn't the best at the game by anymeans, the depth of that combat system was incredible. But before they release the game they sold it as having a classic style for the original fans who loved the turn based system. Yet it didn't, it just featured a walking sim mode. 

But this is why I love Persona 5 Royal. Old school take your time and strategise turn based but with modern day features and mechanics. 

EDIT

Tried the game on my new TV. Looks good but also very dark. Smooth though. 

Defeated the boss for the blue seed at the Museum. That guy came close to wrecking me but I did it. Now all health bars are flashing lol. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

Just had my first negative experience of the game and it was the darts mini-game. I don't know, perhaps after a few attempts I may grow to like it, but I hate that 6-axis shite at the best of times. Plus I had to pull out my 3rd party wired pad and go back to the original pal. Love the original pad but the battery these days (after 3 years of ownership) runs out fairly quickly. 

I love darts mini-games but that made me call it a night. Will try again at a later date. 

3 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Just had my first negative experience of the game and it was the darts mini-game. I don't know, perhaps after a few attempts I may grow to like it, but I hate that 6-axis shite at the best of times. Plus I had to pull out my 3rd party wired pad and go back to the original pal. Love the original pad but the battery these days (after 3 years of ownership) runs out fairly quickly. 

I love darts mini-games but that made me call it a night. Will try again at a later date. 

Yeah, darts is a bit of a pain to begin with. But it gets a lot easier if/when you pick up some of the upgrade kits from the shops and the rewards are definitely worth it

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:19 PM, BGriff1986 said:

Yeah, darts is a bit of a pain to begin with. But it gets a lot easier if/when you pick up some of the upgrade kits from the shops and the rewards are definitely worth it

Aww mate I smashed it! I looked online and saw that you can press X instead of tilting that 6-axis crap. Did it with just R2 and X and really enjoyed it. Not gonna get much time on it now until next weekend but really looking forward to it. 

Its not just an amazing game, its restored my faith even more in Japanese dev teams. They excel at gameplay but I often feel there writing is weak. Granted the story seems to be pitched at a more teen version of Inception but its got its own vibe and teen angst aside its soooooooooo good. I may look into more stuff from Atlus published games, or is this a rare gem from them?

8 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Aww mate I smashed it! I looked online and saw that you can press X instead of tilting that 6-axis crap. Did it with just R2 and X and really enjoyed it. Not gonna get much time on it now until next weekend but really looking forward to it. 

Oh shit, yeah! I was just thinking about the aiming side of things, had totally forgotten that the ‘default’ option for throwing is a motion control. Yeah, definitely go with the button press option for that… ?

Very much an obvious “if you love X, try Y” choice but take a look at P5 Strikers when you’re finished with Royal. They do a great job of bringing the feel of Persona into the musou-style gameplay and the plot is effectively a direct sequel (plus it’s another relatively straightforward plat)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KristanWoodtail said:

I enjoyed the crap out of the game. It was one of my favorite games of all time. Getting the platinum trophy will take so long.

Ah, it was “only” 105-ish hours when I closed out my first play through. Although that was largely just the time to play the game itself, there wasn’t much specific trophy grinding it there

• Like 1

Arrived at a bit of a problem with fusing. See below...

• Fuse Phoenix and Suzaku to get Setanta (Emperor, 25) pass on Rakukaja;
  • Talk to the Twins for Strength Rank 5;

So when I try fusing these two I do not have Rakukaja to pass on. Is there something else I needed to do?

32 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

So when I try fusing these two I do not have Rakukaja to pass on. Is there something else I needed to do?

It’s random, just keep reloading save till it gains Rakukaja.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Some of the fusion requests ask for a skill that none of the Persona you’re using learn naturally. In those cases may you have to transfer the skill from another Persona via fusion (or look for a totally different fusion combination)

For example, in this scenario you can fuse Hua Po with a Berith that knows Rakukaja to get a Suzaku which knows the move. You can then use that in the second fusion

• Like 1

I got it sorted by fusing Berith and Hau Po or whatever they're called. 

Got to the Pyramid palace now and got to say its my least favourite of them so far. I usually try and nail them in one sitting but I couldn't bothered with this one. Will continue tomorrow. 

Overall though its definitely the best and most interesting JRPG I have played in many, many years. Probably since FFVII original or Lost Odyssey and so far its outshining those by far.  

17 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I got it sorted by fusing Berith and Hau Po or whatever they're called. 

Just as a future reference (at least for now) - you may want to hold off on the twin's requests until you have visited a bit more places. While, true, the cost of purchasing Persona's goes down after certain ranks, you can easily get it to max after interacting with the Twins during certain days and taking them to certain locations.

You can ignore the Twin's requests completely and instead take them out to places instead to get the skill cards needed for the requested persona's like Setanta with Rakukaja, as an example. Due note that you have to have visited these particular locations at least once. The reason this is the advised route is because in the Royal version of Persona 5 they changed a few abilities on particular Persona's despite "X" Persona learning the ability in the Vanilla at the respective level, but do not in Royal. 

Following the Fuse Calculator for Royal (not the P5 vanilla one) here is advised, especially for the Twins for making the Persona. Always save beforehand, unless of course, you're swimming in money as you should naturally be. 

17 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Got to the Pyramid palace now and got to say its my least favourite of them so far. I usually try and nail them in one sitting but I couldn't bothered with this one. Will continue tomorrow. 

The theme around it is what makes it interesting; although, in retrospective it can come off as a bit bland to a few. It gets better, trust me, but if you still hate it after the fact, then it is understandable. 

Finished the pyramid palace. Still my least favourite, though I did enjoy the picture puzzles. Boss fight dragged on though. 

Finally got to try baseball and after a few reloads I nailed the mechanic behind it. Where in Yakuza you watch for Kiryu to stand still, in this it seems the best time to make the move is after the protagonist lifts the knee and then wait a short moment before pressing X. I also really like the idea of picking the spot on the ball to hit rather than the hit just being totally 100% RNG even with success. 

Only had the intro to billiards but looking forward to it. 

Not since MGSV has it been this had to switch a game off lol. 

Noticed that there was a book I hadn't fully read, something about the gallows or something. Hopefully will get to finish that at some point as I had to move on with the other books. 

As for the tarot readers affinity perk. Does that take up contacts up a level or just perk them up next time you speak with them or something?

Loving the banter between the twins too. Very funny and adorable. 

15 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Finished the pyramid palace. Still my least favourite, though I did enjoy the picture puzzles. Boss fight dragged on though. 

Finally got to try baseball and after a few reloads I nailed the mechanic behind it. Where in Yakuza you watch for Kiryu to stand still, in this it seems the best time to make the move is after the protagonist lifts the knee and then wait a short moment before pressing X. I also really like the idea of picking the spot on the ball to hit rather than the hit just being totally 100% RNG even with success. 

Only had the intro to billiards but looking forward to it. 

Not since MGSV has it been this had to switch a game off lol. 

Noticed that there was a book I hadn't fully read, something about the gallows or something. Hopefully will get to finish that at some point as I had to move on with the other books. 

As for the tarot readers affinity perk. Does that take up contacts up a level or just perk them up next time you speak with them or something?

Loving the banter between the twins too. Very funny and adorable. 

Forcent teller rises your character social link level so you can get too their bounding events(rank up) faster.

Like let’s say you see that Ann is available to hangout with but their is no “Up” next to her name. Then you won’t get the rank up event.

If this happens to any of your social links just do this.

-Look and see who’s available to hang with

-See who dosnt have a “up” by their name

-Save game by teller
-go to the teller and ask to rise that characters arcana

-if that character has a “up” now you’ll get a rank up.

With this you can easily max out every character’s social link in 1playtru.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 9:15 AM, Wild-Arms-R said:

Forcent teller rises your character social link level so you can get too their bounding events(rank up) faster.

Like let’s say you see that Ann is available to hangout with but their is no “Up” next to her name. Then you won’t get the rank up event.

If this happens to any of your social links just do this.

-Look and see who’s available to hang with

-See who dosnt have a “up” by their name

-Save game by teller
-go to the teller and ask to rise that characters arcana

-if that character has a “up” now you’ll get a rank up.

With this you can easily max out every character’s social link in 1playtru.

Awesome info man. Cheers. 

Met the Reaper too. It resulted in a reload lol. Will tackle that bitch at a later date. Awesome looking enemy though. 

Hit a massive wall with the space station boss. Run out of SP for Haru and the 4 green bosses always run off. Joker only has Pys which hits only one so I'm pretty much up shit creek. I think I have a save just before leaving the treasure of that ship, so it may be that I have to farm the hell out of stuff until I can at least get Joker to have a spy attack which hits all opponents. 

I'll be honest. These last two palaces have been total kack when compared to the earlier ones and I actually look forward to Mentos more now lol. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

6 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Hit a massive wall with the space station boss. Run out of SP for Haru and the 4 green bosses always run off. Joker only has Pys which hits only one so I'm pretty much up shit creek. I think I have a save just before leaving the treasure of that ship, so it may be that I have to farm the hell out of stuff until I can at least get Joker to have a spy attack which hits all opponents. 

I'll be honest. These last two palaces have been total kack when compared to the earlier ones and I actually look forward to Mentos more now lol. 

There are accesories that give psy. Cant think of the name but i am sure someone remembers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Don’t know if you have it or not but Mona’s Miracle Punch is really good for knocking down enemies.

Its has a very high chance of scoring you a critical epically if you give him a item that increase luck.

Works on almost every foe in the gam so having that plus Joker n Haru could help you style on those green robos.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1