What TV to buy?

DaveMcDamage

Hi all,

My TV is on the blink and so thought I would finally treat myself to one of those 4K TV's you damn humans are always yacking on about. Trouble is I know nothing about them, but did here that the new gen consoles require something called HMDI 2.0 or something like that, can't remember what it is they said as I'm not tech savvy in the slightest. I'm in the UK so models may differ from you global 4K TV owners, but what are some of the specs I should be looking for when shopping for a 4K TV?

I don't use the TV for actual TV shows, just the PS4 and the bluray/dvd player.

A few years ago, I got a Samsung 65" 4K UHD 7 Series and I'm really pleased with it (even though I don't use the smart features). Check their newer versions and grab up one in your price range.

• Like 1

Depends on your budget.

This site might help you and they show the model number for the EU as well: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

The new gen consoles support HDMI 2.1 so you'll experience some games in 120FPS. The latest one that is receiving praise is the LG C1, and the one that released last year (the LG CX) is cheaper with some differences and cheaper. Both those TV's have four HDMI 2.1 ports so that's convenient and their input lag is great.

I recommend having a look on the site, and checking out reviews on YouTube. Some channels are very helpful like Digital Trends and HDTV Test

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I would stick with Sony, Samsung, or LG. These three look pretty good and stick to your price range.

Samsung 49 In UE49RU7300KXXU (£397.00) - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9203592?clickPR=plp:1:293

LG 55 Inch 55UN73006LA (£469.00) - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8518350?clickPR=plp:6:293

Samsung 55In UE55TU7020KXXU (£629.00) - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7912074?clickPR=plp:9:293

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Sony X9000H - It has HDMI 2.1

I agree on that one. This is a good one that gets recommended a lot. It's a bit more out of your price range but you'll be satisfied that you picked up a great TV. Priced at £769.00.

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-ke55xh9005-2020-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-android-tv-55-inch-with-freeview-hd-freesat-hd-youview-dolby-atmos-black/p5547932?sku=239953309&irclickid=0eBxqqQvIxyLRr-wUx0Mo387UkBwHPXO8RRoQA0&irgwc=1&tmcampid=99&s_afcid=af_2099860

Review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900h

Edited by Ghost

@DaveMcDamage

I won’t get into specific models and such, but I will offer this for what it’s worth - if budget matters at all, I wouldn’t count out Hisense.

In much the same way that LG did 10 years ago, Hisense seems to be in the the transitional phase right now, as they attempt to move their TV reputation up to compete with the bigger players. As a result, they have some pretty good offerings, at lower prices than the comparable ones from the bigger names.

I was on the hunt for a 4k TV with HDR last year, and took a punt on a Hisense, based on a recommendation and have been very happy with it - was also significantly less expensive than the alternatives of comparable specs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I was so lucky and got it discounted, I actually think this model was being scalped at the time as the shops had run out but they where on Ebay for double the cost. The model is either x900, x90 or x9000 depending on where you live. Also I will add that it works great with older consoles back to pc engine using a OSSC.

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@DaveMcDamage

I won’t get into specific models and such, but I will offer this for what it’s worth - if budget matters at all, I wouldn’t count out Hisense.

In much the same way that LG did 10 years ago, Hisense seems to be in the the transitional phase right now, as they attempt to move their TV reputation up to compete with the bigger players. As a result, they have some pretty good offerings, at lower prices than the comparable ones from the bigger names.

I was on the hunt for a 4k TV with HDR last year, and took a punt on a Hisense, based on a recommendation and have been very happy with it - was also significantly less expensive than the alternatives of comparable specs.

Yeah I have been seeing them a lot on websites. I notice a lot of there TV's are very energy friendly which I am big into. I hate waste and over powered pointless shite, but was trying to find one that was HDR and 2.1. Is the 2.1 that big of a deal or do you guys think this will be more towards the midlife of the PS5 once devs have to really start pushing boundaries to impress gamers?

Sheesh! This is tough. Can't find any with 2.1 HDMI so I am assuming its fairly new tech, the majority seem to be 2.0

Each one I have had a look at, either the sound is kack (my current TV uses a soundbar through a coax which is awesome) and most have this blue tooth crap and no coax or cables to connect my soundbar (these flat screen sure are shite for sound eh? Not surprising though I guess), I thought that ended in the early 2000's that tooth stuff?

Then its  all about lag and darks being too dark or dark making stuff seem fuzzy. 

I'm half tempted to just buy a NES and grab an old analog TV lol. No issues back then. TV.. bought. Console... bought. Plug the lot in.... bosh! Enjoy! None of this 2.0/2.1 and HDR vs Ultra HD and Oled and Qled and crystal.... WHAT THE F**KING F**K!

Man I'm getting old. You loose your footing in the tech race even for a moment and it might as well be your first day on Earth. I still don't have one of those fancy camera phones with the internet and stuff either. Just my old trusty Samsung flip from about 13 years ago lol. 

43 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Can't find any with 2.1 HDMI so I am assuming its fairly new tech, the majority seem to be 2.0

HDMI 2.1 is an incredibly recent ratification so there aren’t many TVs in your price range that have the full spec so if that’s a deal breaker, I’d just wait. 

It doesn’t sounds at all like it’s something you’ll worry about so I personally would never have recommended you even bothering with it, especially given your parameters of only having a PS4 (not even a Pro to take advantage of 4k stuff) right now and a 13 year old phone.

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

HDMI 2.1 is an incredibly recent ratification so there aren’t many TVs in your price range that have the full spec so if that’s a deal breaker, I’d just wait. 

It doesn’t sounds at all like it’s something you’ll worry about so I personally would never have recommended you even bothering with it, especially given your parameters of only having a PS4 (not even a Pro to take advantage of 4k stuff) right now and a 13 year old phone.

I do have the PS4 Pro. It's the only reason I even considered it. It's still not a definite that I will go to PS5, so I may just find a TV with 4K and then see what happens from there in a couple of years. 

If I was in your position, I would get the Sony XH90 (UK Version). You have confirmed that you're gaming on a PS4 Pro so with the Sony XH90, you'll be future-proofed for when you get the PS5, as the TV has two HDMI 2.1 ports. The price is £769.00 on this website. I know it's a bit more than your budget but I think you'll be happy with a TV that has great reviews and released last year.

RTings thoughts on the XH90 (Full review: HERE)

A great 4k TV for nearly any type of content. It has a VA panel with an excellent contrast ratio and a full-array local dimming feature that makes blacks look even better in the dark. It's well-suited for bright rooms, as it has decent reflection handling and gets bright enough to easily overcome glare. It displays fast-moving scenes with minimal blur thanks to its quick response time and optional Black Frame Insertion feature. Gamers should be happy with its low input lag, which remains low even when playing in 4k with 10-bit HDR. Unfortunately, the advertised variable refresh rate (VRR) support is not yet functional. Also, its viewing angles are quite narrow, so images look washed out when viewed from the side.

Edited by Ghost

56 minutes ago, Ghost said:

If I was in your position, I would get the Sony XH90 (UK Version). You have confirmed that you're gaming on a PS4 Pro so with the Sony XH90, you'll be future-proofed for when you get the PS5, as the TV has two HDMI 2.1 ports. The price is £769.00 on this website. I know it's a bit more than your budget but I think you'll be happy with a TV that has great reviews and released last year.

RTings thoughts on the XH90 (Full review: HERE)

It's worth it tbh and make sure you get the software updates. It is future proof for the time being and everything I throw at it looks amazing, PS5, PS4pro, PS3, PS2, PSTV,XBSX, PC rtx 2070 Super, Sega Saturn Via ossc, Pc Engine via OSSC and Neo Geo.

Calibrating HDR for games is easy, it will also Auto scale if you play ancient consoles like I do.

Only downfall, no component in and the remote is a bit confusing.

I was very lucky and paid abut $800 AUS $ for this on special, Could only find one in the city I live in and drove across town to get it. I think it retails at $1500 and up.

Edit: It also upscales to 4k when playing PC games at 1440P on the 2070 Super, so you can sacrifice resolution and the tv will gain the loss, I know, buy a 3070 but I haven't got the cash for scalpers and the 2070 supper kicks butt.

Edited by Z1MZUM

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

If I was in your position, I would get the Sony XH90 (UK Version)

I will definitely consider this mate. I do like the idea of future proofing *slurps*

7 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

It's worth it tbh and make sure you get the software updates.

Is that easy to do because other than my PC having the internet and my PS4 Pro having the wifi thing, I don't know much else about this update stuff. Someone told me even fridges have net connections these days.... The f**k!

What do you mean when you say 'no component in', does that mean I wouldn't be able to use my current soundbar which I have a coax cable running to the current TV for awesome soundige?

I don't mind over spending for piece of mind, and if that TV has great feedback from many then thats exactly what I was after. Using the user reviews on these shopping websites is a f**king nightmare, because you can't tell if they're just fussy f**ks or if the product is genuinely shite. 

@Ghost

Is this the same TV mate? It has a couple of extra letters but think the model is from 2021 or something. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7999011?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ialpmlmat&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:416-707-6621|cid:9567730960|agid:98490215936|tid:aud-734784713267:pla-888461750867|crid:423217901968|nw:g|rnd:14111943565287846953|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1006912&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9567730960&utm_term=7999011&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=98490215936&utm_custom2=416-707-6621&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw66x6YOQ8QIV3hV7Ch3ssw6zEAQYAyABEgLnwvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by DaveMcDamage

On 6/11/2021 at 7:23 PM, Ghost said:

Yeah, that's the one. 

Ordered it this morning mate. I was gonna pay the full whack but just as I was doing the order it refreshed at the Argos site and then said none could be delivered. Then received some bad news about a family member and so needed the money to buy a suit this week, so was looking for finance options instead so that the huge clump doesn't go straight out and I can control the monthly outgoings better, Then this morning I tried another company called Richer Sounds but they had none in stock, shame too as they offered a juicy 6 year guarantee with there offer.  

Went to the Currys & PC World store where I live but they had a bizarre queue system where they wanted to know what you wanted at the door and the whole process was so slow. I really prefer to help actual stores but right now its a time killer and chore. Got home and done it on a very good finance option where I can control the payments and pay it off before interest kicks in. 

So cheers for that link man, because the only negative thing anyone has said in the reviews I have checked, is the sound is a bit weak. Thats to be expected with flat screens, but then again some folk aren't happy unless the sound is loud enough to make blood pour from the nose, so I will see how it goes and then can invest in a soundbar at a later date. 

@Ghost

Another thing. When that TV arrives, am I best upgrading to a new HDMI cable and if so do you know what I should get. I only have the PS4 Pro, so that 2.1 thing is not important just yet, but I would still like to get the 4K/upscale for my current titles. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

16 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Ordered it this morning mate. I was gonna pay the full whack but just as I was doing the order it refreshed at the Argos site and then said none could be delivered. Then received some bad news about a family member and so needed the money to buy a suit this week, so was looking for finance options instead so that the huge clump doesn't go straight out and I can control the monthly outgoings better, Then this morning I tried another company called Richer Sounds but they had none in stock, shame too as they offered a juicy 6 year guarantee with there offer.  

Went to the Currys & PC World store where I live but they had a bizarre queue system where they wanted to know what you wanted at the door and the whole process was so slow. I really prefer to help actual stores but right now its a time killer and chore. Got home and done it on a very good finance option where I can control the payments and pay it off before interest kicks in. 

So cheers for that link man, because the only negative thing anyone has said in the reviews I have checked, is the sound is a bit weak. Thats to be expected with flat screens, but then again some folk aren't happy unless the sound is loud enough to make blood pour from the nose, so I will see how it goes and then can invest in a soundbar at a later date. 

@Ghost

Another thing. When that TV arrives, am I best upgrading to a new HDMI cable and if so do you know what I should get. I only have the PS4 Pro, so that 2.1 thing is not important just yet, but I would still like to get the 4K/upscale for my current titles. 

Sorry to hear about your family member. ?

-

No problem, glad to help you out. The HDMI cable that came with your PS4 Pro is good enough. The PS5 comes with a HDMI 2.1 cable so no need to purchase one. Enjoy the TV and all the best. 

Edited by Ghost

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Sorry to hear about your family member. 1f614.png

-

No problem, glad to help you out. The HDMI cable that came with your PS4 Pro is good enough. The PS5 comes with a HDMI 2.1 cable so no need to purchase one. Enjoy the TV and all the best. 

Thanks man. Thanks to all who have helped me out on here, but Ghost your info and suggestions have been great.

Just got to wait in all day Wednesday for the delivery as its said to arrive between 7am to 7pm. Could have paid the extra £30 for a delivery today, but I will need a new stand because that new TV has the legs right at the end which will overlap my current stand. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 2:44 AM, DaveMcDamage said:

I will definitely consider this mate. I do like the idea of future proofing *slurps*

Is that easy to do because other than my PC having the internet and my PS4 Pro having the wifi thing, I don't know much else about this update stuff. Someone told me even fridges have net connections these days.... The f**k!

What do you mean when you say 'no component in', does that mean I wouldn't be able to use my current soundbar which I have a coax cable running to the current TV for awesome soundige?

I don't mind over spending for piece of mind, and if that TV has great feedback from many then thats exactly what I was after. Using the user reviews on these shopping websites is a f**king nightmare, because you can't tell if they're just fussy f**ks or if the product is genuinely shite. 

@Ghost

Is this the same TV mate? It has a couple of extra letters but think the model is from 2021 or something. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7999011?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ialpmlmat&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:416-707-6621|cid:9567730960|agid:98490215936|tid:aud-734784713267:pla-888461750867|crid:423217901968|nw:g|rnd:14111943565287846953|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1006912&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9567730960&utm_term=7999011&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=98490215936&utm_custom2=416-707-6621&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw66x6YOQ8QIV3hV7Ch3ssw6zEAQYAyABEgLnwvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

No component as in ypbpr connection, so RGB. It has optical for sound bars or bluetooth, plus HDMI 3 is HDMI ARC.

shared-composite-component-video-av-inpu

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

No component as in ypbpr connection, so RGB. It has optical for sound bars or bluetooth, plus HDMI 3 is HDMI ARC.

shared-composite-component-video-av-inpu

Cheers. I have a coax cable at the minute on my current soundbar to TV. But will check the box to see if I still have the other cables. 

Should be arriving tomorrow. The downside is the way the legs are on the TV, it won't stand on my current TV stand so I may have to keep it boxed until I can get a cheaper and bigger TV stand. 

Not sure if I have been screwed over here. I got the delivery and set the TV up, but on the box it says HX92 - 55

EDIT

I might be being dumb again, but after looking online, the HX92 indicates the screen size model. But what I can't find is the HMDI 2.1 ports. Its says I have 2 x HMDI and 2 x HDMI 2.1 but all I have on the TV is HDMI Aux  and then 3 x HDMI ports. Would the 2.1 just be the same ports or something?

I have reached the age where anything that requires a plug no longer makes sense to me. 

When setting it up I was blown away by that tunnel effect, first time I have ever seen 4K before. Tried Persona 5 Royal. Looks decent a lot darker than my previous standard HD 1080 TV. Tried some of the 4K movie trailers and Youtube 4K vids and that where it seems to shine. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage