Games you love that are obscure

For me what comes to mind straight away are Human Fall Flat and Hello Neighbour/Hide and Seek

Human Fall Flat I bought sometime last year, got it for pretty cheap because it looked like a funny little game, it was really awkward to get used to the controls at the start but you soon master them, honestly just a really fun game that I loved playing/platinuming, they also bring out free dlc with new levels and trophies quite often so it's always a delight to go back to :)

Hello Neighbour I used to watch videos on youtube of all the time, alphas all the way up to the final version. I bought that last year as well and honestly think it's amazing, it's not perfect and is very clunky but that's why I love it :) the style of the game is unique and warming, hide and seek is great as well tbh

how about you lot, what obscure games do you love?

• Like 1

Dungeon Defenders is pretty close to being my favourite series ever and I rarely get to talk about it because nobody knows what the hell it is lol.

Gotham City Impostors is another one. Probably my favourite competitive shooter ever. It’s a shame we lost it to the gamespy closure, I genuinely miss it. But it’s better to have loved and lost I suppose. At least I got to experience it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Jeanne D’Arc.

Holy...I rarely see any people mention this game.
I recently went out of my way to track down a physical copy for the collection.

I don't know if it would be considered obscure but for me it's The Operative No One Lives Forever. I still cross my fingers so that Night Dive studios or GOG will be able to bring this beauty of a shooter back. Kate Archer is a fantastic character and even though I'm a huge fan of James Bond it was so refreshing to get such a good character and world surrounding espionage. Besides it being well written and funny the game is a solid shooter. 
Not many games in the spy genre but you take what you can get.

Sadly, you can't get it by legal avenues today but luckily fans kept it alive and I'm sure everyone here can use google (note I don't encourage piracy but this is practically abandon ware at this point) 

Spoiler

Edited by PhoenixIKN
  • Like 1

Lair it's a very obscure game, when you are playing the game you feel like a pretty creepy atmosphere alongside with the "curse" of the devs member.

Skyrim has many obscure secrets, the story of the axe man in the forest, the sleepy hollow that appears at 2:00 AM one friday night i was so scared.

Manhunt 2 the first hours of game are very heavy , it makes you feel sad without even want it, gives me goosebumps the pervs level.

I'm going to think in more games to post it

Edited by TheAbyssWalker61

41 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Dungeon Defenders is pretty close to being my favourite series ever and I rarely get to talk about it because nobody knows what the hell it is lol.

Gotham City Impostors is another one. Probably my favourite competitive shooter ever. It’s a shame we lost it to the gamespy closure, I genuinely miss it. But it’s better to have loved and lost I suppose. At least I got to experience it.

Great choices. I used to no life GCI when it was free from summer 2014-2015 on the 360. Playing with and against the top players at the time were a blast and its def my favorite comp shooter as well.

Its still playable on 360 to this day but good luck trying to find a lobby lmao. Tried loading it up over a year ago just to see whats up and its dead as hell. I think PC is just a bit more active.

• Like 2

See, this is why that one other thread that has "under 500 owners" or whatever worked better. Whenever you just ask for obscure / underrated games half the people list The Witcher 3.

Anyway; Ikenfell, probably my favorite game of 2020; a charming little indie RPG inspired by classics, about a bunch of teens(?) adventuring around a magic school. 201 owners on PSNP, so very, very obscure.

The Long Journey Home is a punishing space survival roguelike with a ton of complexity and a lot of references to classic sci-fi. It's extremely difficult and unfortunately the platinum is likely glitched, but nonetheless it's a game I fell in love with. Sometimes drops to selling for only a few dollars.

Void Bastards is a roguelike shooter with comic book aesthetics. While not the most varied content wise, the gameplay hits in a way few games do, and you're unlikely to get bored of salvaging supplies from ships in mutant-infested, corporate dystopia space anytime soon.

Streets of Rogue is, as the name suggests, a roguelike - in particular a top down one with a huge amount of characters, weapons you can use, and ways to accomplish objectives. This may be one of the stupidest games you'll ever play, but with 1-3 co-op players, you're unlikely to have more stupid fun elsewhere.

Going Under is, again, a roguelike; a parody of startup culture featuring soulless noodle armed people and beating people to death with potted plants. It's a fun experience that's different from the typical 2D roguelike even if a bit narrow in scope; very worth the 10-13$ you can get it for on sale.

Lair of the Clockwork God is the most obscure on this list at only 51 owners on this site; it's a sequel to the Ben there, Dan that, and Time Gentlemen, Please! games, two low budget, hilarious point & click games I played as a kid. This game is a love letter to adventure games, with beautiful sprite work, while also having "more contemporary" platforming shit mixed in. It's an absolutely hilarious game and well worth the 6$ you can get it for rn on sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Death road to Canada, it's like Oregon trail from when I was kid mixed with a zombie survival game it's a ton of fun. 

I think I remember my buddy showing me this or something like it on PC once.  Really fun.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

Gotham City Impostors was really fun.  I wasn't trophy hunting back then, so it will forever be stuck at 15% for me.

I think for me it was Lost Vikings on SNES.  I think it has a cult following now, but when I was a kid none of my friends had ever heard of it and would come over to my house to play it.  Super fun game.  Good mix of goofiness and puzzle solving.

A few come to mind:

Konami's Vandal Hearts (ps1)

Parasite Eve (ps1) by Square

The lesser known NIS games especially Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom (ps2)

Vanilla Ware's GrimGrimoire (ps2)

ObsCure (ps2)

Dungeons & Dragons - Chronicles of Mystara (ps3) Developed by Iron Galaxy for Capcom

Painkiller Hell & Damnation (ps3) This one is pure guilty pleasure

Straimium Immortaly (ps4) Hardcore LSD Roguelite at its best. (has less than 100 owners)

Wildfire (ps4) Metal Gear Solid with superpowers and witchhunt, my Indie Game of the Year. (same as above just a few more)

I don’t know if all these are obscure but my daughter and I like playing wacky, zany family friendly games together like Wattam, Human Fall Flat, Octodad, Totally Reliable Delivery Service, Ultimate Chicken Horse, Untitled Goose Game, and Kill It with Fire.

I like simulators a lot and while Steam has the most simulators (they have some really obscure ones), one I like on the PS4 is Car Mechanic Simulator. I hear Cooking Simulator finally made it to the PS4, that’s a good one too.

Edit: Need to add:

-Horror Stories

-The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human

-Crawl

-Chasm

-the Siralim games

Edited by NMErickson
  • Like 1

Actual Sunlight springs to mind. This is a narrative indie game that never made it to PS4 for some reason, only PS Vita. It's about a fat, balding, depressed guy, so it's definitely not for everyone, but I think it's got some of the strongest writing I've ever seen in a video game. 

The original Tomb Raider developers, Core Design, made a bunch of lesser-known games I absolutely adore, including Swagman (PS1/Sega Saturn), Project Eden (PS2) and Firestorm: Thunderhawk 2 (PS1/Sega Saturn). It's a shame Core never got much recognition beyond Tomb Raider.

Super Night Riders is one of the best PS4 indie games I've ever picked up (and I've picked up a lot of them). It's a Hang-On style racer that nails the feel of the old Sega super scaler games, while refining the actual gameplay. Great music too, and a challenging but fair trophy list.

It's been a very long time since I played it, but I have fond memories of Death by Degrees. This was an action-adventure spin-off starring Nina Williams from Tekken. It got bad reviews and bombed pretty hard, but I really liked it. Very unique atmosphere (certain parts really creeped me out as a kid, though).

1 hour ago, Popeguy said:

-Papo & Yo, for being a neat little indie game

Great shout, and unfortunately I would have forgotten all about it if you hadn't mentioned it. The gameplay is nothing to get excited about IMO, but the narrative is extremely affecting - especially the ending and credits music.